Dr. Holly T. Ashley Cothern, MD

Dr. Holly T. Ashley Cothern, MD

Obstetrics & Gynecology | Female | 44 years old

My health care philosophy is based upon identifying the patient's needs and being dedicated to helping women achieve their health care goals through forming a relationship based upon mutual respect and trust. My role as the obstetrician/gynecologist is to provide compassionate and caring medical services to all patients and treat patients like I would members of my own family. Listening is key to the start of our medical and personal relationship and I strive to value your input in my effort to identify your individual needs. My office staff is committed to providing professional and courteous services to you in our comfortable and private office setting. Your health and empowering you in your health care decisions is my focus and goal. Having had a baby boy myself in the Spring of 2012, I understand first hand how pregnancy is a time of excitement and anticipation for all of the family. I strive to ensure that you are treated with dignity, compassion, and respect at all times.Read more

Personal Bio

Dr. Ashley Cothern's Experience

See how Dr. Ashley Cothern's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Ashley Cothern

Dr. Ashley Cothern accepts 12 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Ashley Cothern has admitting privileges.

Hospital Quality Awards

Dr. Ashley Cothern's Office & Staff
    16 – 30 minutes (16)
Dr. Ashley Cothern Says:

in Fernley, NV |
I had some concerns in my first trimester and they were not addressed. I always left the office with more questions than answers. my husband and I felt very uneasy and decided to start looking for another doctor.
in Reno, NV |
Office staff is horrible and she doesn't spend enough time with patients. Did my surgery and I ended up having to do another because she noticed something and didn't take care of it. Waited forever in waiting room, she wasn't the most pleasant to work with and they didn't keep good track of records, never called back, and were terrible to work with. I would NEVER go there again.
in Reno, NV |
This is my first pregnancy, and unfortunately I had to switch Doctors due to insurance. My appointment was scheduled for my 17 week check-up. The day of my appointment I got a phone call cancelling. I was rescheduled for a month and a half later. I feel as though there was no urgency or concern, and I was told they couldn't do anything. I felt very uneasy having a doctor that I could not rely on to get me scheduled and keep my appointment in a timely manor. I will never consider her again.
Have you seen Dr. Holly T. Ashley Cothern, MD?
Are you Dr. Ashley Cothern?

Compare Dr. Ashley Cothern

Dr. Ashley Cothern says...

As a National Health Service Corps scholar, I moved to Reno, Nevada from St. Paul, Minnesota in the summer of 2006 to fulfill my service obligation at The Pregnancy Center.  I spent the past 8 years serving underprivileged women and their families and have delivered over 400 babies per year since that time.

In addition, I have built up a dedicated and loyal private practice following and integrated minimally invasive gynecologic procedures such as Total Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, ESSURE, and Hydrothermal endometrial ablation into my practice.

Late this summer, I was given the opportunity to start my own private practice and to share office space and staff with Dr. Rafaela Hernandez, another well established ob/gyn in the Reno, Nevada medical community.  I am thrilled to have the opportunity to serve women and families of all ages at my new office location.

I have special interests in adolescent gynecology, menopausal health, high risk obstetrics, abnormal PAP and colposcopy, as well as infertility treatments.

My husband Brett and I are avid hikers and skiiers and we love to explore Lake Tahoe and the Sierra Nevada Mountains.  We are hoping to get our young son, Alex, who is 2 1/2 years old, out on skies for his first season up at Mount Rose this year.  I am interested in fitness and positive thinking and strive to keep myself in excellent mental and physical shape through running, yoga, and meditation.

Dr. Ashley Cothern's Care Philosophy

Having had a baby boy myself in the Spring of 2012, I understand first hand how pregnancy is a time of excitement and anticipation for all of the family.  I strive to ensure that you are treated with dignity, compassion, and respect at all times.

Dr. Ashley Cothern says...

Having spent two years during residency researching abnormal PAP smears and high risk HPV types, I have a special interest in abnormal PAP, colposcopy, and LEEP procedures.  I am up to date on the latest screening guidelines and perform in office colposcopy and LEEP procedures.  I accept patient referrals for abnormal PAP smears.

As a member of AAGL, the organization that is dedicated to advancing minimally invasive gynecology worldwide, I have access to the latest information on the most effective and innovated procedures to treat gynecologic conditions.

Several years ago, I attended a training conference in San Francisco, California that specialized in Total Laparoscopic Hysterectomy.  This procedures uses the same minimally invasive technique as the DaVinci Robotic hysterectomy but without the cost to the patient and the hospital.

I have special interests in adolescent gynecology and contraceptive counseling as well as in health care for older women and menopausal health.

Dr. Ashley Cothern says...

In my office, we provide colposcopy and LEEP procedures for the diagnosis and treatment of abnormal PAP smears.

I have specific training in minimally invasive gynecology.  I strive to provide the safest procedures using small abdominal incisions or concealed incisions that are found in vaginal hysterectomies.  Procedures are performed as an out patient and patients are able to go home that same day.

In office procedures such as the ESSURE are performed skillfully but swiftly to minimize patient discomfort.

Both in office and operating room procedures are performed after informed consent.  It is imperative that patients are completely aware of the risks, benefits, and alternatives of each procedure.  I provide an explanation of the procedure and complete disclosure of the indications and necessity of the procedure with patients and encourage families to be present.

I have extensive experience in high risk and high volume obstetrics but have a less than 25% cesarean section rate.

Dr. Ashley Cothern says...

Thank you for providing me with your feedback.  Your opinion is very important to me and to my office staff.  We strive to provide you with a compassionate, caring, and confidential office experience and value your opinion so that we can continuously improve your experience in our practice.  I personally read every patient satisfaction survey and my office staff can be reached at the office by calling 775-337-8400.

Your feedback is confidential.

Dr. Ashley Cothern's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Obstetrics & Gynecology
  •  Board certified in Obstetrics & Gynecology

Dr. Ashley Cothern has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for Nevada.

Why It Matters: Dr. Ashley Cothern's Board Certifications

• Intrauterine Growth Restriction
  • Mastodynia
  • Maternal Anemia
  • Menopausal and Postmenopausal Disorders
  • Menstrual Disorders (incl. Dysmenorrhea)
  • Ovarian Cysts
  • Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
  • Pregnancy-Related Disorders
  • Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
  • Symptomatic Menopause
  • Venous Thrombosis and Phlebitis in Pregnancy
  • Yeast Infections

University of Wisconsin School of Medicine

Graduated in 2002

University Of Minnesotal Department Of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Women's Health

Completed in 2003

University Of Minnesota Department Of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Women's Health

Completed in 2006

Washington University In Saint Louis

Graduated in 1994

Dr. Ashley Cothern does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Ashley Cothern and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Obstetrics & Gynecology