Headache Management  |
Dr. Heather Adkins, MD
Prior to starting her own private practice, Dr. Adkins was an Assistant Professor in the Headache Division at Duke University in Durham, N.C. She received her Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) degree from the University of Louisville School of Medicine in 2002. She completed her residency in neurology in 2006 and headache and face pain fellowship in 2007, both of which were done at the University of North Carolina. Dr. Adkins practiced at Nashville Neuroscience, a headache clinic affiliated with Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee. Doctor Adkins enjoys spending her free time with her daughter and Yorkipoo dog. Professional Affiliations American Headache Society Southern Headache Society American Academy of Neurology American Medical Association American Medical Women's Association

1910 Sedwick Rd Ste 400A

Durham, NC 27713

• MedCost
  • Medicare

Learn about Dr. Adkins

Doctor Heather Adkins is a board-certified headache specialist who is dedicated to finding effective, personalized treatment for patients with headache and face pain disorders.

Doctor Adkins specializes in the treatment of headaches because she is passionate about helping her patients live without the debilitating pain of headaches and migraines. With years of experience, she understands there are many causes of the pain that is often associated with lifestyle choices and other physical factors. She partners with her patients to treat the causes of the head pain, not just the symptoms. Doctor Adkins dedicates her time and talents to helping patients achieve their goal of managing their headaches, face pain and migraines.

She treats conditions including migraines, migraines with aura, chronic migraines, menstrual migraines, migraine-associated vertigo and dizziness, trigeminal neuralgia, occipital neuralgia, cluster headache and atypical face pain.

Dr. Adkins' Experience

Dr. Adkins' experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Headache Management

• Infusion Therapy
  • Medication Management
  • Nerve Blocks
  • Trigger Point Therapy

No malpractice history found for North Carolina.

• Univ Of Louisville Sch Of Med
    Medical School | Graduated 1999
  • University Of Louisville Hospital
    Internship Hospital | Completed 2002
  • University Of North Carolina Hospital
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2006
  • University Of North Carolina Hospital
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2007

Dr. Adkins has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Adkins does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Adkins and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Adkins' Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Adkins to family and friends
3.8
Dr. Adkins' Performance
in Durham, NC |
I've been seeing Dr. Adkins now for about 6 months. I've been dealing with migraines since I was 11 years old and I've had no luck with doctor's prior to working with Dr. Adkins. She's been incredibly helpful and willing to work with me around particular medications I'd prefer to avoid. Since I've started seeing Dr. Adkins my headaches are down to less than one a week, and my migraines less than one a month. This is a huge improvement in my quality of life and couldn't be happier with her!
in California City, CA |
I can't say enough how amazing Dr. Adkins is and how grateful I am for her. My medical history is very complex, for the last 14 years every doctor ended with the same, we just don't know. I was frustrated and losing hope when I was referred to Dr. Adkins. Even when tests came back negative or inconclusive she NEVER gave up and now we finally have answers. Due to the miltary I now travel from CA to see her because not only is she caring and compassionate, she is the best specialists I've seen.
Raleigh, NC |
I've suffered from migraines for over 20 years. I've visited doctor offices and neurologists on both coasts and Dr. Adkins is the first doctor who really took the time to have a conversation with me about my migraine history. She created a customized "cocktail" for just me, not people like me. I never feel rushed and her staff is so very attentive. Her office is soothing and perfect for those of us with light, scent, and sound sensitivity. And parking is a snap! I'm so relieved I found her.
Bolivia, NC |
FINALLY, A Dr. who listens to me ! Dr. Heather Adkins is an awesome Neurologist that really cares. She really listens and gives the best care possible by forming a plan and adjusting it as needed. She's intelligent yet down to earth. In my experience, that is rare for a physician. Dr. Adkins was recommended to me and I'm so thankful I found her. Riding the 3 hour trip from the Coast is well worth it. She now has her very own practice, Adkins Headache Center, And I Love It.
in concord, nc |
I can't say enough positive things about Dr. Adkins. She has given me back a true quality of life I never thought was possible. Because of her I can be an active part of my children's and husband's life now. She listened when no other doctors did. I have has two brain surgeries for Chiari Malformation. I never thought I would find a doctor that truley understand the pain I was living in everyday. She understands. She has made me want to live again.
in Dillon, SC |
I was referred to Dr. Adkins several years ago when she was at Duke. Her gentle demeanor and soft spoken manner were not only on the first visit, as with many doctors. They have remained throughout my years as her patient. She is very caring and concerned about my migraines. She monitors my medications each visit to ensure we are at the right dosage to keep them at bay. I was terrified when I showed up for my first Botox visit, but she allayed all my fears. I'll follow her anywhere!
in El Puerto de Santa Maria, Cadiz, Spain |
Dr. Adkins and her staff were efficient, kind, and took the time to listen to my wife about her migraines and the problems that come with them. The visit was refreshing, as my wife was not dismissed as just having "headaches." We currently live out of the country and it is great to know that Dr. Adkins will be here whenever we come back to the States for further evaluations and any changes in treatment. I would give a 5 star rating without hesitation.
in Belhaven NC |
After over 40 years of inadequate treatment, Dr. Heather D. Adkins’ willingness ot listen to my account of effective and ineffective treatments was refreshing. During the seven years I’ve been her patient, her specific knowledge and compassion for headache suffers, along with her treatment recommendations, has resulted in the best quality of life I’ve experienced in decades. I consider my 320 mile round-trips a small inconvenience, considering the benefits.
in Chapel Hill |
My wife has been seeing Dr Adkins for a while, so I followed her recommendation, and I'm glad I did. She is extremely knowledgeable, but more importantly, she listens and considers the whole impact that headaches (or side effects) can have. Easily one of the best doctors I've seen.
in Graham, NC |
Dr Adkins is compassionate, patient and takes the time to listen as you describe your symptoms. She has many options to manage my migraines and is always researching other options. Her office has soft lighting taking into consideration migraine suffers are usually light sensitive which I for one appreciate.
in Danville, Va |
I have recommended Family and friends to see Dr. Atkins. She spends time with her patients. And she listens, therefore the care you receive is individual to you. It's not like she's treating my problem, she's treating me.
in Chapel Hill, NC |
This review is for Dr. Adkins at her new practice - Adkins Headache Center, PLLC - which she opened in Fall 2016 within Chapel Hill Doctors. Dr. Adkins is caring, compassionate, and an expert diagnostician. After suffering with migraines for years, I am delighted to have found Dr. Adkins. Working with Dr. Adkins has provided the relief I was seeking. I also like very much that she is now in private practice in a convent friendly setting.
in Raleigh, NC |
I have suffered with migraines for about 40 years and she took time to really listen to me. I was very impressed with her wealth of knowledge on the subject of migraines as well as her caring personality. She gave me renewed hope that I can get some relief from chronic daily headaches. Staff was extremely friendly.
Evergreen, NC |
she has helped me tremendously.... After 8 years I would not see anyone else.
in Fayetteville, NC |
As a patient of Dr. Adkins for over three years, I have found Dr. Adkins to be unusually compassionate and very knowledgeable in the treatment of migraines and vertigo - possibly because she too suffers from migraines. Dr. Adkins has never rushed an appointment and always answers all of my questions. The staff at Duke, especially Delois Smith, are wonderful and have always gone the extra mile. Dr. Adkins' schedule is always full because she is the best.
in Wlmington, NC |
I came to Dr. Adkins 9 years it was by random selection. I guess I was the next up. It was not a mistake! I asked Dr Adkins why she chose Migraine care and she told me it was because of her personal daily experience with them. This was the first time in my Migrainal life that i had a Dr. who could possibly understand all that I have to go though suffering 15-20 Migraines a month. She understands the label that is put on sufferers. TShe always listens and makes me feel like a valid patien
in Cary, NC |
She correctly diagnosed my condition, something which 4 other doctors could not. So I give her that credit, but after that she has been horrible. Repeated calls to her office regarding my severe side effects go unanswered. I had seen her low grades on healthgrades, but she was the only one I could find in a hurry, so I took her. But now I am regretting it. So in short, avoid her unless you are desperate. If I could give her a negative score on how well she answers questions, I would do that.
Have you seen Dr. Heather Adkins, MD?
Are you Dr. Adkins?