Dr. Harry Buchanan IV, MD

Dr. Harry Buchanan IV, MD

Ophthalmology  |
Insurances Accepted

Dr. Harry Buchanan IV, MD is an ophthalmology doctor who practices in Allentown, PA. He is 64 years old and has been practicing for 38 years. Dr. Buchanan IV is affiliated with Lehigh Valley Hospital - Cedar Crest, Lehigh Valley Hospital - Muhlenberg and Lehigh Valley Hospital - 17th Street .

Harry W. Buchanan IV, MD

• Golden Rule
  • Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield

Learn about Dr. Buchanan IV

Experience for Dr. Buchanan IV

Gain confidence in your healthcare decisions by comparing quality indicators on our provider profiles: education, board certification, years of practice, patient experience, and now Top Care Areas, which gives frequency in conditions treated or procedures performed. More about finding the right doctor for you

Top Care Areas for Dr. Buchanan IV by Patient Volume

Dry Eyes

Dr. Buchanan IV treated this condition for more patients than 94% of his peers nationwide.

Eye Infections

Dr. Buchanan IV treated this condition for more patients than 85% of his peers nationwide.

high

Pinkeye (Conjunctivitis)

Dr. Buchanan IV treated this condition for more patients than 84% of his peers nationwide.

high

Need Other Care?

Discover how Dr. Buchanan IV compares to peers nationwide for your care needs.

?

Where our data comes from - The data you see on providers' Healthgrades profiles comes from both the provider and public sources. The Top Care Areas section uses public data from billing claims that providers submit to insurance companies. That data is filed nationwide on behalf of the provider to either the government or a private health insurance company.

How we evaluate our data - Patient volume is analyzed by provider and compared nationally with all providers who perform the same procedure, or treat the same condition. We organize the volume data in percentile ranking from 'may perform' for the lowest claims volume to 'Very High' for the highest claims volume data. For a given condition or procedure, performance categories are defined based on 80%, 90%, and 95% confidence intervals from the average patient volume for all providers in our database. Providers identified as ‘may perform’ do not have sufficient volume for Healthgrades to create a statistical evaluation.

Are you Dr. Buchanan IV?

Learn more about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

• Ophthalmology

Dr. Buchanan IV does not have any board certifications listed.

• Age-Related Macular Degeneration
  • Corneal Abrasion or Laceration
  • Corneal Diseases
  • Corneal Erosion
  • Corneal Ulcer
  • Diabetic Macular Edema (DME)
  • Diabetic Retinopathy
  • Drooping Eyelids (Ptosis)
  • Dry Age-Related Macular Degeneration

• Cornea Surgery
  • Cornea Transplant
  • Eye Surgery
  • Glaucoma Surgery

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Pennsylvania.

• University Of Virginia / Main Campus
    Medical School | Graduated 1979
  • Hltheast Tch Hp Allentown Hp
  • Vanderbilt University Med Center
  • Wills Eye Hospital

Dr. Buchanan IV has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Buchanan IV has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Buchanan IV does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Buchanan IV and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Buchanan IV's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Buchanan IV to family and friends
Dr. Buchanan IV's Performance
Macungie, PA |
On March 30, 2017 I had my second cataract removed and Crystalens replacement by Dr. Buchanan and his team. Even though my right eye was done two years ago with no problems. I was still scared. The staff at the 17th St. Surgery unit relaxed me and calmed my fears. I would send anyone there. No question I had was ever put down.Recovery was uneventful.. Don't be impatient. It will pay off.After 3 months of healing, at 70 I no longer wear glasses.If you are facing cataract surgery, be patient.
Allentown, PA |
After cataract surgery in both eyes last fall, I have 20/20 vision for the first time since 1961. As I was 63 years old, I chose the crystal lenses that would respond to my own muscles to adjust for accurate vision. I don't wear glasses when driving. The only time I wear +125 glasses I bought in the drug store is for reading. Timing is everything. Five years ago, an outlier like me with 20/280 vision would not have qualified for these lenses. Do you qualify? Consider!
in White Hall, Allentown |
My experience under Dr. Buchanan's care was excellent. I appreciate his taking time to inform me, reassure me and professional manners.
Allentown, PA |
I had cataract surgery and got Crystalens last year and am very satisfied with the results. I never saw better. Only complaint is the wait time 1-2 hours.
in Macungie, Pa |
I have known Dr. Buchanan for several years. He is very talented. Eight years after having cataract surgery, I continue to have 20-20 vision. The special lenses he recommended and implanted are great. Also, he is one of few who is certified to use the crystal lens.
in Pennsburg, PA |
I cannot begin to say how happy I am that I contacted Dr. Buchanan and had my cataract surgery done by him. His professionalism and attention to every detail before, during, and after the surgery is second to none, and I have never experienced anything like it. The vision was so poor in my eye that it effected my performance as a musician. Trying to focus on the guitar neck was becoming impossible. Now, I only need glasses for reading, and I am able to play guitar without my glasses. Thanks
in Emmaus, PA |
Dr. Buchanan performed cataract surgery on my right eye ten years ago and on my left eye three years ago. In each case he inserted a corrective Crystalens. These lenses corrected my extreme myopia, and a recent examination showed my right eye to be 20-40, and my left eye to be 20-20. I am extremely happy with these results, and I no longer have to wear contact lenses or glasses in my daily activities, except for fine reading. He and his staff are very professional and caring. I am 82 years old.
in Kutztown, PA |
Dr. Buchanan’s monitoring of my eyesight over the years has never seemed a business transaction. He is genuinely committed to my physical wellbeing, for which I am grateful. When my brothers in India ask me to enumerate the aspects of American society that contribute the most to the quality of my life, I place my access to seasoned physicians like Dr. Buchanan at the top of the list. That a septuagenarian like me can live a productive life can be attributed mostly to devoted doctors like him.
in Slatington, Pa |
If anyone has cataracts, Dr Buchanan has performed using the new lens called Crystal Vision. I would recommend these lenses. Dr Buchanan explained the procedure and the clearness of the lens. The procedure was just like any cataract surgery. The clarity is amazing.
Easton, PA |
I have been a patient of Dr. Buchanan's since 1991. He was able to cure an ulcer in my left eye, after many visits to other Ophthalmologists in the area. He has since perform lasik surgery on my eyes in 2001 and cataract surgery in 2015. All with EXCELLENT results. I highly recommend him for all eye care. I do not even need reader glasses in the September of my years. Thanks to Dr. Buchanan, I am not afraid to attack any eye problem.
in Allentown, PA |
I had cataract/Chrystalens surgery and have to say I see better now than I did when I was 14. Dr. Buchanan spent the time to not only explain the procedure and what to expect, but he also has taken the time to ensure that I am happy with the results. If anyone is considering cataract surgery it is in your best interest to schedule an appointment with Dr. Buchanan. Although you might have to wait past your appointment time to see Dr. Buchanan you will not be disappointed with the results.
in Macungie, PA |
Dr Buchanan is simply the best! He performed cataract/Chrystalens lens replacement in both eyes and in each experience he made me feel totally comfortable and confident in his skills. He and his staff made me feel totally informed, totally safe and totally cared for, including their thank you note signed by everyone to ME for allowing them to give me the gift of seeing the world with HD clarity. If you are thinking of surgery and want the best results and total comfort experience = Dr Buchanan
in Allentown, PA |
I am probably the happiest ophthalmological patient Dr. Buchanan has ever had. Because of cataracts, I opted for Crystalens implants I am so grateful for the care I have received from him. He couldn't be more conscientious about making sure his patients are well cared for, and if any follow-up is necessary he immediately refers you to the best possible specialist. I see so well that my friends are tired of me telling them I feel like I have the eyes of a 20-year old!
in Easton, PA |
I was very pleased with my outcome from Cataract Surgery. I never expected the clarity and vivid colors from the New Crysteline Lens. It was everything he said, I feel I'm back to my childhood, I can see like an Eagle just amazing.
in Macungie, PA |
I am extremely happy with my Crystalen surgery. I sit at a computer all day for work, and have no issues seeing or needing reading glasses for my computer work. I can drive at night, the surgery was short and painless, and the recovery was the same. I have 20 20 vision and couldn't be happier with my surgery, or with my surgeon. I would highly recommend Dr. Buchanan to anyone and strongly recommend this surgery if you are a candidate.
in Lehighton, PA |
He is an amazing DR. and person. He truly cares about his patients and the work he does. He makes sure everything is PERFECT!!.He's also very proud of the men and women from the military.He always thanks them for their service.My father could'nt see for years,and the CRYSTAL LENS he put in is so much better than the basic lens. You can see so much CLEARER than regular lens and you can see so much better at NIGHT. THE CRYSTAL LENS IS AMAZING. If you ever get eye work done PLEASE get the crystal.
in Allentown, PA |
He sometimes runs late. You should know this but you should NOT take this into consideration when you pick him. He is worth the wait and never treats you like he is in a hurry. I had 2 cataract surgeries and have Crystal lenses and see almost perfectly after 5 years. In fact after 5 years I see better than i did one year post surgery. If you put in the work and try to read w/o your reading glasses it will pay off big time. I even still have good night vision.
in Alburtis, Pa |
Very much pleased with Dr. Buchanan. The Best!
in Allentown, PA |
I recently had cataract surgery performed by Dr. Buchanan. He took the time to go over the procedure and answer my questions. I felt very comfortable with his knowledge, experience, and surgical skills. He was very attentive post-procedure, provided excellent follow-up care, and continued to answer all of my questions during the healing process. I would highly recommend Dr. Buchanan to anyone who is looking for an experienced eye surgeion with excellent skills.
in Center Valley PA |
At age 35 I had cataracts in both eyes and they were getting progressively worse. My parents both went to Dr. Buchanan so I did as well. It was a very scary situation. Dr. Buchanan was very empathetic with explaining the options. We moved forward with Crystalens implants, one in July and the other in August. Both surgeries were a success. I have 20/20 vision in both eyes and I couldn't be happier, even 7 years later. I would recommend Dr. Buchanan to anyone.
in Schnecksville, PA |
I have been his patient for nearly thirty years and have received four eye surgeries for cataracts and lasik procedures. Dr. Buchanan has restored my sight to nearly perfect vision. He is and will always be my preferred ophthalmologist.
in Mountainhome, PA |
I was referred to Dr. Buchanan by two other professionals. I chose him even though I needed to travel over an hour each way for appointments. I had cataracts and macular degeneration in both eyes and put off surgery longer than I should have because of fear. Dr. Buchanan eased that fear during my first appointment. He was very thorough and always gave me an opportunity to ask questions.
Have you seen Dr. Harry Buchanan IV, MD?
Are you Dr. Buchanan IV?