Dr. Harold Colbassani Jr, MD

Dr. Harold Colbassani Jr, MD

Neurosurgery  |
Dr. Harold Colbassani Jr, MD is a neurosurgery doctor who practices in Clearwater, FL. He is 61 years old and has been practicing for 35 years. Read his story

400 Pinellas St Ste 325

Clearwater, FL 33756

• AvMed
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
  • Harvard Pilgrim Health Care

Learn about Dr. Colbassani Jr

See how frequently Dr. Colbassani Jr performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Spondylosis
high
Thoracic Spine Myelopathy
Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement)

Dr. Colbassani Jr's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Colbassani Jr's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Colbassani Jr "One of my earliest recollections as a child was writing the word 'Medicine'. Not that I gave it much thought at the time but the reaction of my parents ingrained that moment in mind forever. Both my mother and father were teachers but my father's subjects of interest were math and science. Because of the latter, early on, I had him order me jars of creatures preserved in formaldehyde, and so began my attempts at surgical dissection. My parents were excellent role models as teachers but because of my passionate interest in science and medicine, I became focused on 'going to medical school one day'! I attended Fairfield University in Connecticut as one of 120 premedical students to begin that program in 1974. Four years later, I survived the rigors Anatomy and Organic Chemistry and graduated 'Cum Laude' as one of 40 students to complete the program. I then attended Georgetown University Medical School in Washington D.C.. Four years later, once again I graduated 'Cum Laude' with awards in Surgery, for "Highest Academic Performance" as well as the Upjohn Achievement Award for "Outstanding Research", having my research paper published in the peer review journal 'Surgery, Gynecology, and Obstetrics' as a senior medical student. I was also awarded membership into the prestigious honor medical society, 'Alpha Omega Alpha'! In my first year of medical school, we were required to take Neuroanatomy. I found this fascinating. While many of my fellow students had difficulty maintaining a passing grade, I 'Aced' every quiz, lab, test and final exam. As a third year student I rotated on the Neurosurgery Service at Georgetown University. As soon as began working with those residents at 5am on that first day, I knew which field of medicine I would study for the rest of my life! I then attended Emory University in Atlanta for my internship in General Surgery and then my residency in Neurosurgery, which I successfully completed in 1988. After several years in the practice of Neurosurgery, I received my Board Certification from the American Board of Neurological Surgeons. After leaving Emory University, I entered the US Navy as a Lieutenant Commander, stationed at the Naval Hospital in Oakland, California. Because of a shortage of neurosurgeons in the Army at that time, I volunteered to work as a staff neurosurgeon at the Letterman Army Medical Center in the Presidio of San Francisco. While on active duty there I was awarded the 'Meritorious Service Medal' for outstanding "initiative and personal dedication". In 1990, I volunteered to serve aboard the USNS Mercy hospital ship which was deployed to the Persian Gulf for Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm. While there, I had the opportunity to personally meet General Norman Schwartzkopf , the Commander of Coalition Forces. Upon returning to California, I completed my tour of duty as a staff neurosurgeon, being honorably discharged in 1992. I then moved to Palm Harbor, Florida where I began my private practice in Neurosurgery where I continue to practice actively to this day. I have witnessed a great amount of change in health care since then and have moved on from my own private practice at Mease Hospital in 1992 to a member of the more than 500 member BayCare Medical Group and an active neurosurgeon at the 675 bed Morton Plant Hospital. Currently, my practice is centered about the care of patients with cervical and lumbar spinal disorders. I am also active as a physician leader within BayCare, serving as Medical Director for Neurosurgery at Morton Plant Hospital and Assistant Medical Director for Specialists in the BayCare Medical Group."

This content was provided by Dr. Colbassani Jr "Ever since I began my private practice in neurosurgery, I have always adopted a very conservative approach to recommending surgery to a patient. Just because an MRI or CT scan is abnormal does not mean you need surgery. There are certain conditions; however, that can be critical even though you may not have much in the way of symptoms. In all cases I firmly believe in being truly honest with patients and I will make recommendations that I would make to a family member.

I am also a believer in fully explaining your condition to you and I will personally review any diagnostic studies (MRIs etc.) with you. In this way I am able to educate you as to the nature of the problem at hand, and the ways it can be treated. If surgery is an option, I will explain how it can benefit you but will also explain the possible complications and the long term consequences of having surgery. Yes, I am a neurosurgeon and I enjoy performing surgery, but my first goal is to help you and make you well if I can. I want you to be happy that you chose surgery, if indeed it is an option for your condition. In every case, the decision on how to proceed is yours.

In the end, you are person of value deserving of my respect and I will always be compassionate and considerate of you, your family and your needs. Unfortunately, I am not able to help everyone and even patients that I operate on, not every one of them will be better, but I do promise to do my best and treat you as I would want to be treated."

• Neurosurgery

• Disc Replacement
  • Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Epidural Block, Facet Blocks
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Microdiscectomy

• Grady Memorial Hospital
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1983
  • Emory University Memorial Hospitals
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1988

Dr. Colbassani Jr has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Colbassani Jr does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Colbassani Jr and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Colbassani Jr's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Colbassani Jr to family and friends
4.1
Dr. Colbassani Jr Says:

I want to thank all of my patients for commenting on their experience when they have come to see me for a Neurosurgical opinion. I truly value this feedback, so that I can be made aware of the things I did right and where I may have fallen short, so that I can continue to improve on the care I provide each and every one of you. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to...

Dr. Colbassani Jr's Performance
in Tarpon Springs, FL |
Dr. Colbassani did my surgery on March 14, 2017. After many years of constant pain I am now Pain Free! I have many issues with my bad back, but Dr. Colbassani was clear and direct with what he felt was possible and what was not possible. I feel very fortunate to be a patient of his. It is amazing to wake up everyday and not have pain shooting down my leg. I am only 9 days post op and I feel wonderful. I am able to go walking and be back to my Life. He is truly a Genius.
in Dunedin, FL |
Upon initial exam I was told to call when the pain got bad. I called as instructed by Dr C, my GP and a Chiro. After 6-8 calls over several days I got an appt. Upon exam I was told I needed a spinal tap asap. At 4:00 the next day I still hadn't heard, I worried. I called and spoke with the OM as Francy wasn't available, he'd call me by 3:55, he didn't Dr C called at 4:06 asking me to call, but they close at 4. I'm hurt, scared, worried and chasing the only Dr I trust to cut me open for help.
in Holiday, FL |
Outstanding Doctor
Have you seen Dr. Harold Colbassani Jr, MD?
Are you Dr. Colbassani Jr?

See our Neurosurgery Specialists at Palms of Pasadena Hospital

Blue Care HMO
    BlueDental Choice
    NetworkBlue
    Wellpath Preferred PPO
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
    GEHA