Orthopedic Surgery  |
Dr. Harold Cates Jr, MD
Dr. Harold Cates, board certified physician, completed medical school at the University of Tennessee in Memphis. His internship and residency at the University of Kentucky in Lexington were followed by a fellowship emphasizing total joint replacement and care at the Center for Hip and Knee Surgery in Mooresville, Indiana. Dr. Cates is the current Medical Director of the Joint Replacement Center at Fort Sanders Park West Hospital in Knoxville. In addition to his practice at Tennessee Orthopaedic Clinics, Dr. Cates serves as an adjunct professor at the University of Tennessee and President of Tennessee Orthopaedic Foundation for Education and Research. Dr. Cates' professional memberships include those in the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons, Society for Arthritic Joint Surgery, and the Tennessee Orthopaedic Society. In addition, Dr. Cates is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons. Tennessee Orthopaedic Clinics offers nine locations to better serve you in Knoxville, Oak Ridge, Lenoir City, Crossville, and Sevierville in East Tennessee.

Tennessee Orthopaedic Clinics

• Prime Health Services
  • USA Managed Care Organization

Learn about Dr. Cates Jr

Dr. Cates Jr' Experience

Dr. Cates Jr' experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery
  • Board certified in Orthopedic Surgery

Accredited by: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery*

• Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Hip Fracture
  • Hip Sprain
  • Internal Derangement of Knee
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Fracture
  • Knee Sprain
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) Sprain

• Knee Surgery
  • Knee and Leg Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
  • Knee and Lower Leg Fracture Treatment, Closed
  • Knee and Lower Leg Fracture Treatment, Open

No malpractice history found for Tennessee.

• University Of Tennessee Health Science Center College Of Medicine
    Medical School | Graduated 1985
  • University of Kentucky
    Internship Hospital | Completed
  • University of Kentucky
  • Center For Hip And Knee Surgery
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1991

Dr. Cates Jr has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Cates Jr does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Cates Jr and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Cates Jr' Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Cates Jr to family and friends
Dr. Cates Jr' Performance
in Knoxville, TN |
I had a wonderful experience with Dr. Cates and his office. They were very professional and took care of all my needs. Dr. Cates took time to explain my procedure and did an excellent job performing the procedure. I am confident that I was provided with the best care possible and I would highly recommend him.
in Crossville, TN |
I fractured my left hip while in Florida in 2017. I had an appointment with Dr. Cates' office upon my return home. Ms. Aberdeen, C.PA., evaluated me, x-rays performed, and surgery scheduled. I saw Dr. Cates a few days later and he authorized moving up my surgery due to the exacerbated fracture and excruciating pain. I cannot find words to adequately express my appreciation for the skill empathy, and kindness of Dr Cates and his staff. I completely recovered without any issues. Judith C TN
in Vonore |
Dr. Cates and his team are very professional and caring. Not only are they on top of the latest and best procedures, the entire team really cares about your comfort and your healing process. After my knee replacement, I had trouble with the pain medications. Each time I called the office, I received an IMMEDIATE response! I was so pleased with their concern for my well-being! Extremely pleased with the quick healing process--within two months the replaced knee became my strongest knee!
in Maryville, TN |
Dr. Cates performed bilateral knee replacement on me in October. Everything went very well and now, four months after my surgery My knees feel much better than before the surgery. Dr. Cates, Katrina Aberdeen (Nurse Practitioner) and their staff were great to work with throughout the entire process. I would and do recommend Dr. Cates to anyone considering joint replacement.
Jerry, thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback.
in Knoxville, TN |
This man is awesome. He actually cares about how you feel and believes you when you tell him. He has excellent follow-through and an extremely competent staff.
in Clinton, TN |
Dr. Cates is very through in evaluation and determining correct option therapy, medicine, or surgery. he explains his reasons for treatment and request input from patient on recommended treatments. Dr. Cates follows up in timely manner with patients on progress.
Thank you very much for sharing these comments, Ronnie Mcmahan.
in greenback, TN |
Dr. Cates answered all of my questions prior to my surgery. My recovery after surgery was incredible. I anticipated difficulty in rising from chairs and toilet seats but didn't experience any. My range of motion came back quickly, my level of pain was minimal and my time using a walker was one day as was my use of a cane. I was able to go to outpatient physical therapy within a few days. My therapist at Results Physiotherapy said his patients usually exhibit great range of motion quickly.
in Knoxville, TN |
Dr Cates has a wonderful bedside and sense of humor. I had a TKR 2 weeks ago and Dr Cates took plenty of time answering my questions and explaining what he could do to help me. He looks me in the eye when he's taking and listening to me. His staff has answered my questions, returned my calls, and all have been very professional. I am going to PT now and looking forward to freedom in a few months!
in Middlesboro, KY |
Dr.Cates is a kind ,patient man. He takes time to listen and answers in terms a layman can understand. I will be having knee replacement surgery. After my family doctor recommended him, I felt comfortable choosing him as my surgeon to be. Several people have told me of their experience with Dr Cates. All have been very happy with their results. He has a very good reputation and that is very comforting.
in Loudon, Tn |
I have been a patient of Dr Cares for 6 years and I have recommended him to everyone I know who needs an orthopedic surgeon.
in Pineville, KY |
Dr. Cates is very caring and compassionate. He takes time to hear me and answer my questions. He did a knee replacement on my sister. She did great! I, myself , am facing that probability now. I trust Dr. Cates to do the best job possible. Great physician!
in Louisville, KY |
I have had two hip surgeries by Dr. Cates and have nothing but good things to say about the entire experience. I actually lived in Indianapolis and traveled back to TN in for my latest hip surgery! I must say that I haven't found another surgeon quite as considerate, kind and professional as Dr. Cates. I currently live in Louisville KY and have yet to find an orthopedic doctor that i feel is as great as he is.
in Knoxville, TN |
He's been my mother's physician and took the time to listen to her about her back pain after after her knee surgery. He decided to take an x-ray and found a cancerous tumor encased in her kidney, referred her to a wonderful urologist who removed the kidney. My mother was in her late early 80's at the time and continues to thrive at age 86.
in Knoxville, TN |
HE OPERATED ON ME UNDER EMERGENY CONDITONS (MID-NIGHT) ABOUT 14 YEARS AGO AND I HAD TO SEE HIM IN MARCH OF THIS YEAR. HE HAS VERY GOOD REPUTATION, HE LISTENS TO YOU AND EXPLAINS WHAT IS GOING ON AND THE OPTIONS.
Had total hip replacement and hardly any pain. Cut pain meds down after 1 1/2 days and soon down to only one to go to sleep. Got totally off walker in couple of weeks and didn't need a cane. Have 3 more weeks of Physical therapy and doing great!!
Have you seen Dr. Harold Cates Jr, MD?

Visit Dr. Cates Jr