Dr. Harish Iyer, MD

Dr. Harish Iyer, MD

Gastroenterology | Male

At Gastrointestinal and Liver Specialists, you will find a caring, compassionate and dedicated team of physicians and physician assistants, nurses and ancillary staff. Our goal is to empower you with knowledge to help you make the best decisions for your care. When we see you, you are our only priority. We will come up with a treatment plan that provides you with all the tools that you need to make sure you go out of the office healthier than when you came in.

We strive for excellence in all areas, be it clinical or procedural. We assure you that if you need a procedure with us, we will try and make it as stress free and hassle free as possible.

Please make sure you are satisfied that the purpose of your visit for that day is solved. Be it further investigations to evaluate symptoms or procedures, we will walk you through the whole process so that when you leave us, there are no stones unturned, or questions or concerns unanswered.

Dr. Harish V. Iyer, M.D.,Harish V. Iyer, M.D., MRCP (UK), received his Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (M.B., B.S.) degree at Seth G S Medical College and KEM Hospital in Mumbai, India. Dr. Iyer subsequently trained in the West Midlands region of the United Kingdom and is a member of the Royal College of Physicians in the United Kingdom. Following his medical education, Dr. Iyer completed his residency in Internal Medicine at Albert Einstein Medical Center (AEMC), Philadelphia PA. While there, Dr. Iyer became Chief Medical Resident at AEMC, and completed his fellowship training in Gastroenterology at AEMC, and became Chief Fellow of Gastroenterology. Dr. Iyer has received numerous awards and honors for his work, and as an outstanding teacher of medical students. He is also the author of numerous publications. Moving to the Tidewater area and joining Gastrointestinal & Liver Specialists of Tidewater in 2013, Dr. Iyer has a special interest in colon cancer screening and in the management of inflammatory bowel disease. He has also received extensive training in diagnosis and management of esophageal diseases.

Dr. Iyer's Experience

See how Dr. Iyer's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Iyer

Dr. Iyer accepts 13 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Iyer has admitting privileges.

Dr. Iyer's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Iyer to family and friends
Dr. Iyer's Performance
One of the most caring and thorough doctors that has ever treated me! When other doctors...my PC and emergency room doctors were stumped, Dr. Iyer would not give up until he figured out the cause of my symptoms. Once treatment started, I was better within a week, and a year later...I feel like I was given a new lease on life! I would highly recommend to anyone in need of a gastroenterologist!
in courtland VA |
As a former medical technologist, I have worked with many doctors. most are good some are great. [some are not so good] Dr. Iyer is most definitely in the great category. He is well educated, polite, caring, and I will say from the bottom of my heart one heck of a good doctor that I would have no problem recommending to all. Five stars are not adequate for this Doctor 7 or 8 would be better. A great great doctor.
in Suffolk, VA |
Had a very positive experience with Dr. Iyer. He was very through and I felt comfortable speaking with him regarding my medical issues. The nurses were friendly and professional. I did not feel rushed at all and left excited at the prospect of correcting my medical issues. Another plus has been the communication between Dr. Iyer and myself through the patient portal. When I have had questions, I have received an immediate response with via telephone or via the patient portal from Dr. Iyer.
in Suffolk, VA |
This was a procedure I put off for 20 years due to a bad experience back then but was faced with a decision that it was needed now. I was treated great by the whole team and given reassurance that it would be ok. The doctor listen to my concerns and was very helpful in helping me to make the decision to go forward. The procedure was done with respect, safety and the staff was very helpful to me and my husband. Dr. iyer was great, I could not have ask for a better Doctor to help me in my need.
in Suffolk, VA |
Dr. Iyer was excellent. He and the entire staff did an outstanding job making me feel relaxed, especially for such an "embarrassing" procedure. Dr. Iyer acknowledged me while waiting, came in smiling, relaxed and relaxing me, as well as the staff did. Dr. Davis was also very good for me as the anesthesiologist. No issues and when I came out of it, I felt great. Please let her know I appreciated what a great job she did. ** Dr. Iyer then explained what he found and again relaxed us.
in Portsmouth, VA |
Went to this appt with a lot of apprehension. Dr. Iyer listened, and answered every concern I had. He was very compassionate, thorough and a pleasure to talk to. Felt so much better when I left the office.
in Suffolk, VA |
My experiences thus far have been pleasant and positive. He is very thorough and informative. His staff if also like that.
This is an update to my orhee review..... guesa I should of mentioned I was still loopy from my medicines after my endoscopy. I take it all back... sorry. After having my follow up with Dr. Iyer i realized he is actually pretty freaking awesome. He's in my corner every step of the way.
in Portsmouth, VA |
He wasn't the absolute best. His explanations were clear and concise. He listened thoroughly to my concerns. One of the best doctors I've ever encountered.
in Aulander, NC |
Dr. Iyer and his staff were wonderful.
in Virginia Beach, VA |
Excellent pre-procedure sharing of information as well as fully detailed results afterwards. Very friendly and easy to talk to.
in Chesapeake, VA |
Feeling uneasy about colonoscopy was my first. He made me feel more at ease. Explained what was to be expected. Would definitely be my doctor of choice.
in Portsmouth, VA |
I was extremely pleased with my visit to Dr. Iyer. His bedside manner is very friendly and informative. He is very approachable. His office staff was very caring and personable. I highly recommend Dr. Iyer.
in Suffolk va |
Best Dr ever had. No nonsense. He will stay and work with you. Went to emergency room no insurance at that time. He still took time with me and got his staff to call see what they could do. I sent my sister n law to him. He has helped alotDr Iyer couldn't help me with this surgery but he found Another Dr . He said if I don't like. Him let us know. My family thinks he is wonderful
in Chesapeake |
I had a Excellent experience with the entire staff, I Highly recommend Dr. Iyer and his staff! Very Professional and We'll Knowledgeable! Thank You!
in Zuni, VA |
Dr. Lyer has good bedside manner, is through and explained the procedure so it was easy to understand. Although my time with Dr. Lyer was brief ( just a minute before the procedure and a few minutes after) and I'd say he probably knows me better than I know him, lol , overall it was a very good experience and I would recommend his services.
in Newport News, VA |
Dr. Iyer was very knowledgeable and caring in making sure that I had clear understanding of both pre and post colonoscopy procedure instruction. Dr. Iyer has a wonderful compassionate bedside manner and has a way of making his patient less anxious from the beginning to the end. I would definitely recommend him to all of my friends and family. Melissa, LPN was my awesome nurse and was wonderful in informing me as well.
in Murfreesboro, NC |
I like his professional, pleasant way of discussing any medical issues. He explains everything in detail, and if I have any questions, he takes the time to answer them. My husband and I, are patients of Dr. Iyer. Yes, I would recommend him to family and friends
in Suffolk, VA |
MY EXPERIENCE WITH DR. LYER AND HIS STAFF WAS EXCELLENT. HE AND HIS STAFF GAVE ME A SENSE OF COMFORT WHEN IT CAME TO MY COLONOSCOPY PROCEDURE. THANKS FOR KEEPING ME HEALTHY.
in Portsmouth, VA. |
I honestly cannot say enough good things. My treatment has been ongoing for several months during this time Dr. Iyer,his staff and colleagues have been amazing. Information has been easy to access,appointments have been scheduled promptly around my schedule phone calls and emails have been returned swiftly and I have always felt like I have been top priority. Dr. Iyer has always been up front and honest with me.I am happy to say that with Dr Iyer's help and positive attitude I am healthy again.
Have you seen Dr. Harish Iyer, MD?
Are you Dr. Iyer?

Compare Dr. Iyer

Dr. Iyer says...

Dr. Harish V. Iyer, M.D.,Harish V. Iyer, M.D., MRCP (UK), received his Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (M.B., B.S.) degree at Seth G S Medical College and KEM Hospital in Mumbai, India. Dr. Iyer subsequently trained in the West Midlands region of the United Kingdom and is a member of the Royal College of Physicians in the United Kingdom. Following his medical education, Dr. Iyer completed his residency in Internal Medicine at Albert Einstein Medical Center (AEMC), Philadelphia PA. While there, Dr. Iyer became Chief Medical Resident at AEMC, and completed his fellowship training in Gastroenterology at AEMC, and became Chief Fellow of Gastroenterology. Dr. Iyer has received numerous awards and honors for his work, and as an outstanding teacher of medical students. He is also the author of numerous publications.  Moving to the Tidewater area and joining Gastrointestinal & Liver Specialists of Tidewater in 2013, Dr. Iyer has a special interest in colon cancer screening and in the management of inflammatory bowel disease. He has also received extensive training in diagnosis and management of esophageal diseases.

Dr. Iyer's Care Philosophy

Dr. Iyer's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Gastroenterology
  •  Board certified in Gastroenterology and Internal Medicine

Dr. Iyer has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for Virginia.

Why It Matters: Dr. Iyer's Board Certifications

• Gallstones
  • Gas-Bloat Syndrome
  • Gastric Ulcer
  • Gastritis
  • Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
  • Gastrointestinal Bleeding
  • Varices
  • Vascular Insufficiency of Intestines
  • Viral Hepatitis
  • Vomiting Disorders

University Of Mumbai/King Edward Memorial Hospital and Seth Gordhandas Sunderdas Medical College

Completed in 2007

Completed in 2006

• Hindi
  • Marathi
  • Tamil

Dr. Iyer does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Iyer and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Gastroenterology

• Colonoscopy, Proctosigmoidoscopy, and Sigmoidoscopy
  • Colorectal Cancer Screening
  • Destruction of Anal Tumor
  • Endoscopy
  • Endoscopy (Esophagus, Stomach, Small Intestine)
  • Fecal Impaction Removal
  • Flexible Sigmoidoscopy
  • Gastroenterology Procedures
  • Incision and Removal of Foreign Object
  • Liver Biopsy
  • Manometry
  • Percutaneous Edoscopic Gastrostomy (PEG)
  • Sigmoidoscopy