Orthopedic Spine Surgery  |
Dr. Hargovind Dewal, MD
HARGOVIND DEWAL, M.D. Dr. DeWal is a Board Certified Orthopaedic Surgeon with additional training in neurosurgery. He is committed to the latest advancements in spine surgery, offering patients the newest, most up-to-date technologies. His clinical practice includes microsurgery, minimally invasive surgery, fusion and nonfusion procedures. He also specializes in treatment of athletic spine injuries. He treats patients with a variety of spinal disorders including herniation, stenosis, scoliosis and spinal cord compression. Dr. DeWal has lectured at national meetings and has written several book chapters as well as published numerous articles related to the spine. Medical Degree: State University of New York Downstate Medical Center Brooklyn, New York Internship/Residency: Orthopaedic Surgery Resident: New York University – Hospital for Joint Diseases New York, New York Fellowships: Spinal Surgery Fellow: Department of Neurological Surgery Department of Orthopaedic Surgery The Cleveland Clinic Foundation Cleveland, Ohio Research Fellow: New York University – Hospital for Joint Diseases Musculoskeletal Research Center New York, New York Hospital Affiliations: Huntington Hospital, Huntington, New York St. Catherine of Siena Medical Center, Smithtown, New York Good Samaritan Hospital Medical Center, West Islip, New York North Shore University Hospital, Manhasset, New York St. Francis Hospital, Roslyn, New York Peconic Bay Medical Center, Riverhead

763 Larkfield Rd

Commack, NY 11725

• HIP Health Plan of New York
  • MagnaCare
  • Worker's Compensation

Learn about Dr. Dewal

See how frequently Dr. Dewal performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Herniated Disc
Sciatica (Not Due to Disc Displacement)
Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement)

Dr. Dewal's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Dewal "A Comprehensive Approach to Treatment

At Long Island Spine Specialists, P.C., we know how debilitating back and neck disorders can be for our patients. We also know that when it comes to treating these conditions, finding the treatment option that best meets each patient's individual needs is perhaps the most important aspect to successfully alleviating or managing back and neck pain.

As a patient at Long Island Spine Specialists, P.C. you can be sure that your treatment plan reflects your specific needs and concerns and will be carried out by physicians and surgeons who are recognized leaders in the field. We work as a team to help you effectively manage your condition and improve your quality of life."

• Orthopedic Spine Surgery

• Cervical Herniated Disc
  • Cervical Radiculopathy
  • Compression Fracture
  • Degenerative Scoliosis
  • Diffuse Idiopathic Skeletal Hyperostosis (DISH)
  • Kyphosis

• Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Kyphoplasty
  • Kyphoplasty, Percutaneous
  • Kyphosis Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Laminectomy
  • Total Disc Replacement
  • Vertebroplasty
  • X Stop® Interspinous Process Decompression System
  • XLIF® (eXtreme Lateral Interbody Fusion) Procedure

No malpractice history found for New York.

• State University of New York at Brooklyn
  • Hospital for Joint Diseases Orthopaedic Institute
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2004
  • Cleveland Clinic
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2005

Dr. Dewal has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Dewal does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Dewal and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Dewal's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Dewal to family and friends
Dr. Dewal's Performance
in Medford, NY |
An angel in disguise...No surgery needed treated with medications, and the best bed side manners. Very caring, compassionate and most of all knowledgeable. i truly recommend Dr Dewal, you will not be discouraged.
in Floral Park, NY |
Dr. DeWal did my cervical fusion and it was 100% successful. I have full range of motion in my neck and I am back to my life before pain. Dr. DeWal has always been patient with me. I highly recommend him.
in Huntington, NY |
He is very thorough about his explanation of procedures and takes the time to answer all your questions to make you feel comfortable
in Huntington, NY |
This was my first visit with Dr DeWal and I found him to be so kind caring and compassionate. He took so much time to explain everything to me and get to know me which is very rare nowadays with physicians. He spoke with confidence which allows me to trust him. The office is very nice and clean and the staff from check in to the nurse to check out are all so pleasant. I know I am in the best hands and I highly recommend him.
in Ridge, NY |
Dr DeWal has hands of gold and because of him I am pain free after having surgery with him. I was in a lot of pain with severe pain in my left leg but Dr DeWal's successful surgery has made me pain free and gave me my life back. I couldn't walk and was wheelchair bound. Dr. DeWal is so thorough in answering all of my questions and making me feel confident in having surgery and expecting a great outcome. He is so caring and personable.
in Ronkonkoma, NY |
Dr. DeWal is an amazing surgeon he did my neck surgery and it was huge success the range of motion in my neck is great with no pain I cant thank Dr DeWal enough for his dedication and skills as a surgeon I am back to my life before pains He always takes the time to answer all of my questions and make me feel comfortable I met him and a week later I had surgery with him because of his confidence and reassurance I highly recommend him
in Speonk, NY |
Dr. DeWal did my lower back surgery and it was a huge success in January 2017. He was very knowledgable and made me feel confident when explaining my condition and the surgery that was needed. The next morning after surgery I was up and walking after all of my other treatments failed and I was off my feet not able to do anything and now thanks to Dr DeWal and his surgical skills I am back to my active lifestyle prior to surgery and going to the gym I highly recommend Dr DeWal.
in Kings Park, New York |
He is the best! He got rid of my back pain. He was up front with me about everything, I would recommend Dr. Dewal and his entire staff to anyone.
in Melville, NY |
Dr. DeWal is very helpful, very intelligent, very nice. I appreciate the time with him and all of the time he took to answer all of my questions.
in lake grove, ny |
I had a cervical discectomy with Dr DeWal and he was very good very thorough. He explained everything that had to be done and it made me feel confident. I highly recommend him and the staff there is very nice as well. The appointments here always on time I never have to wait and I admire that they respect my time.
in Kings Park, NY |
I have been a patient for 14 years and I am very satisfied with the care that I receive from Dr DeWal. He always takes the time to answer all of my questions and his bedside manner is top notch. I highly recommend him and LISS
in Commack, NY |
Dr DeWal is a great surgeon. He did a laminectomy on me and it was very successful and I am very grateful to him for it. His bed side manner is impeccable and he is so thorough. I highly recommend him.
in Patchogue, NY |
Dr. Dewal is very intelligent, he thoroughly examined my neck I didnt feel rushed and he was the only doctor that was able to answer one of my questions. He gives me his full attention. He made me feel comfortable and the staff is friendly and efficient always so personable. I highly recommend Dr. Dewal.
in Islandia, NY |
Dr DeWal is an amazing doctor he is always so considerate and his bed side manner is phenomenal he never rushes me and always takes the time to answer all of my questions I never feel pressured he always makes me feel comfortable with treatment I understand completely what he is doing and the surgery that I had with him was a success and his staff is awesome so compassionate and they over and above especially his front desk in particular Corinne I highly recommend him
in Bronx, NY |
I had scoliosis surgery with Dr DeWal and I am now doing a lot better. I trust him completely with my care and treatment. This surgery has been life changing and I am so thankful to him for getting me on the right path to full recovery. I highly recommend Dr DeWal
in Bellport, NY |
Amazing doctor, amazing staff and great results. Would highly recommend! Dr Dewal changed my life, I am forever grateful. I suffered for 2 years with horrible pain. He performed a 3 level ACDF and I had pain relief almost immediately.
in Smithtown, NY |
Dr. DeWal is highly knowledgeable and his surgical skills are extensive and Grade A his bed side manner is what any patient would expect from their doctor the care and attention exceeded our expectations so many people wanted us to go the city but we knew his skills were just s good and even better I had a very complex neck surgery and I'm so glad I chose Dr DeWal he made me feel confident and the staff was amazing and professional I highly recommend this practice
in Islip Terrace, NY |
Dr. DeWal has an amazing talent. It is a scary thing when going for back surgery but as soon as I met with him I had no worries. I knew I was in good hands his compassion his understanding and his concern was comforting. If I had to do it all over again I would I highly recommend anyone needing back surgery and is in a lot of pain to find the outstanding ability and talent that Dr. DeWal has and take care of themselves to live a full happy pain free life!!!
in Bohemia, NY |
Dr. Dewal is a wonderful doctor he always takes his time with he is always so knowledgeable I never feel rushed and I am very confident in the care that I am receiving from him. I personally highly recommend him
in East Northport, NY |
Dr. DeWal is a lifesaver he is an excellent surgeon he makes me comfortable and has always taken the time to explain everything to me. LISS are full of miracle workers I look forward to coming here and I highly recommend this practice to all.
Have you seen Dr. Hargovind Dewal, MD?
Are you Dr. Dewal?