General Surgery  |
Dr. Guillermo Portillo Ramila, MD
Board certified in general surgery, Dr. Guillermo Portillo is a dual fellowship trained surgeon with decades of experience. Dr. Portillo is bilingual in English and Spanish, and has practiced medicine in South Texas, New York and Mexico. He is highly regarded for his skill as a general surgeon and leadership capabilities, having served as chief resident at hospitals in Mexico City and San Antonio.

311 Camden St Ste 409

San Antonio, TX 78215

• Ambetter
  • Amerigroup (Wellpoint)
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas
  • Community Health Choice
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
  • Molina Healthcare
  • Oscar Insurance Corporation

Learn about Dr. Portillo Ramila

See how frequently Dr. Portillo Ramila performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Open Incisional and-or Ventral Hernia Repair
Laparoscopic Surgical Procedure
Hernia Repair

Dr. Portillo Ramila's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Portillo Ramila "I will treat you as I would treat my own mother,  I will never take short cuts.  I will do my best, every time for all my patients."

• General Surgery

• Ductal Carcinoma in Situ
  • Endocrine Cancer
  • Esophageal Diseases
  • Gallstones
  • Gastroenterologic Cancer (Colon, Stomach, Esophageal, Liver)
  • Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
  • Gland Cancer
  • Invasive Breast Cancer
  • Invasive Ductal Carcinoma
  • Invasive Lobular Carcinoma
  • Leg and Foot Ulcers
  • Lobular Carcinoma in Situ (LCIS)
  • Locally Advanced Breast Cancer
  • Lymphoma of the Breast
  • Male Breast Cancer
  • Malignant Breast Tumor
  • Metastatic Breast Cancer
  • Metastatic Cancer
  • Moles (Benign Skin Lesions)
  • Muscle Cancer

• Adrenal Surgery
  • Adrenalectomy
  • Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery
  • Appendectomy, Laparoscopic
  • Bariatric Surgery (Weight Loss Surgery)
  • Bile Duct Procedure
  • Hernia and Hydrocele Repair
  • Inguinal Hernia Repair, Laparoscopic
  • Inguinal Hernia Repair, Open
  • Inguinal Hernia Surgery
  • Intestinal Transplant (incl. Enterectomy)
  • Laparoscopic Adrenal Surgery
  • Open Hernia Procedures
  • Open Incisional and-or Ventral Hernia Repair
  • Opening of Bile Ducts
  • Partial Adrenalectomy
  • Percutaneous Edoscopic Gastrostomy (PEG)
  • Port Placements or Replacements

• University Of Texas Medical School At San Antonio
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2015
  • University Of Rochester
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2012

Dr. Portillo Ramila has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Portillo Ramila does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Portillo Ramila and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Portillo Ramila's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Portillo Ramila to family and friends
Dr. Portillo Ramila's Performance
in San Antonio |
Very Satisfied with Dr. Portllo. I was nervous going into Surgery but he made me feel comfortable and he was there every step of the way for me and my family. I would highly recommend him for anyone thinking of having the Gasto Sleeve. Thank you to him and his Staff.
in San Antonio, TX |
Everything great. But you get no real pain meds afterwards. Be strong.
in San Antonio, TX |
Portillo is warm,caring and invested in me as a patient. It is more than his job.
in San Antonio, TX |
Great employees & doctor.
in San Antonio, TX |
Dr. Portillo and all his staff are very good and very friendly all the time. I would like to recommend Dr. Portillo to all my family and friends.
Awesome Doctor & Staff. Very helpful & friendly
in Floresville, TX |
When I decided to have bariactric surgery, I looked at every doctor in San Antonio. When I read the reviews on Dr. Portillo and read his bio, I looked no further. When I met him at my first appt, I knew I had found my doctor. He is a great doctor, his confidence puts you at ease and his bed side manner is like a father. All of his surgeries are successful. I had my surgery on September 26. It has gone exactly as he said it would. I have already lost 40 pounds. He is excellent!!! Look no further.
in San Antonio, TX |
Thank you Dr. Portillo and staff.
in San Antonio, tx |
Love that i feel like family.
San Antonio, TX |
Very nice nurses are Very helpful and Doctor Portillo is Super helpful and really cares
in San Antonio, TX |
He is amazing . Wonderful bedside manner , handsome . My wounds never got infected . I had a very good experience with him and his entire staff , both at his office and in the hospital . The staff is very warm and friendly . The quality of care I received was excellent . Thank you so much Dr. Portillo and your office and , medical staff .
in San Antonio, TX |
Very nice and helpful when it came to questions about my surgery. No complications with the surgery itself. Would recommend Him to anyone!
in Devine tx. |
I was referred by my primary dr. As I was in need of gall bladder surgery. My entire experience including making appt. by phone, parking, waiting room, staff, and meeting Dr. was a good one.
in San Antonio Texas |
Dr.Portillo was great to listen to about the procedure and explained clearly . I gone twice to other Doctors to do the procedure but was very unhappy with the visits. I left Dr.Portillo excited and ready to move forward to a better life style. Thanks to the staff and Dr.Portillo
Houston, TX |
Overall, everything went great! Staff is very friendly & helpful. Doc was good and efficient. My one complaint is you have to ask the doc the right questions because he covers the basics.
in San Antonio, Tx |
Great service
San Antonio, TX |
I have my gallbladder removed and he was faster during surgery. And at the follow-up visit he answered all my questions that I had and gave me all the info I needed it.
in San Antonio, TX |
I HAD A WONDERFUL EXPIERENCE WITH DOCTOR PORTILLO. HE WAS KIND, GENTLE N HE LISTENED TO WHAT U HAD TO SAY. WHEN REMOVING THE DRAIN BAG HE HELPED ME SO I WOULDN'T FEEL PAIN WHEN HE PULLED IT OUT TO REMOVE IT. I AM REALLY HAPPY THAT DOCTOR PORTILLO ACCEPTED TO DO MY SURGERY. THX U DR PORTILLO, U R A WONDERFUL DOCTOR N I WILL REFER YOU IF I AM ASKED WHO DID MY SURGERY.
San Antonio, TX |
Dr. Portillo was great! Aways answered all my questions and always made sure I understood everything he was saying. Very professional! I would definitely recommend him to family and friends
in San Antonio, TX |
It was my First time ever to have a Surgery done on me. So I was very nervous, the staff was so patient and helpful in answering any questions I had. When I met Dr Portillo and we started talking , he too answered our questions and respected my beliefs on the No Blood issue being that I am a JW and he knew exactly what needed be done and made me feel at ease about the surgery. After surgery He saw me one more time, I haven't had any more problems. I do Highly Recommed Dr. Portillo Very Much.
San Antonio, TX |
Dr.Portillo was recommended to me after I found out a day before my surgery that my Dr. was no longer in practice .But I am glad they recommend him to me I met him the day of my surgery and he answered all my questions and explained the procedure to me. He made me feel comfortable and he was very caring and introduced himself to my family and answered all thier questions which put us all at ease . He has a great staff one who I really liked Lorena who was awesome answered all my questions.????
in San Antonio, TX |
Best doctor!! He very caring and very humble man. He apologized for keeping me waiting in a room for less than 10 minutes . His staff is very nice. Dr Portillo did surgery on a mass on my breast. It's only been a week and it's healing perfect. He just an awesome doctor I swear put your trust in this man he treats you like family!!
in San Antonio, TX |
Dr. Portillo is one of the finest doctors I've had the pleasure of meeting. He spent an appropriate time with me and asked about meds and other health problems I was having. I felt I needed surgery due to increased symptoms. Within the next 2 weeks I had surgery and everything went well. His professionalism is above and beyond my expectations and his bedside manner made me feel comfortable and well cared for. Finally, a doctor who is caring and sympathetic to my aches and pains. All very good!
in San Antonio |
Dr. Portillo is excellent. Explained my procedure and answered all my questions and concerns. The staff, from the front desk ladies to Ms Lorena, are the nicest and very professional. Definitely will recommend, Dr Portillo.
in corpus christi, tx |
I found him 2 hrs from my city! And I'm so happy I did ,he is the most sweetest kind Dr. I have ever had , he took me when other doctors would not he truly cares for his patients his staff is so wonderful they are always there to answer any questions you have and go beyond to help you get what you need , when I had my surgery and was in hospital he came every day! He made sure nurses were there for me! I'm so happy I found him the 2 hour drive was worth every visit!
Excellent services!
in San Antonio, TX |
My experience with Dr. Portillo were awesome. He is a very caring person and makes you feel like own family. His personality made me feel like I had known him for a long time and made me feel like everything was going to be fine. I had surgery, and before surgery in the prep room, Dr. Portillo came over and assure me that everything would be fine. I felt very comfortable going to surgery. It has been several months and I feel like a brand new man. Thanks Dr. Portillo for awesome job.
in San Antonio, TX |
The doctor gets right to the issue and works to easy everything that is bothering you. Takes care of you as if you were part of his family.
in San Antonio, TX |
I would recommend Dr. Portillo to anyone who is in need of a great doctor who truly cares about his patients. Long story short my insurance had dropped the hospital that I was at 2 days prior to me arriving at the hospital. When Dr. Portillo found out about the issue he assured me that he would personally ensure that I did not walk out of the hospital with a huge bill. He followed through in his commitment to me and I only had to pay as if I were in network. The surgeries went great as well.
in San Antonio, Tx |
Dr Portillo is amazing. When I contacted his office I had been having severe pain and I had an infection that caused my sugar to be in the 500's! Dr Portillo's staff talked to Dr Portillo and before I knew it they advised me that he would see me between surgeries the next morning. He immediately saw the problem and scheduled me for surgery the next day. The day after my surgery I felt a great deal of relief and my sugar dropped 300 pts! Thank you so much Dr Portillo, you helped me so much!!!!!!
Cibolo, TX |
It all started with a phone call. I was just looking for a consult or information. I spoke to Lorena and she made me feel so comfortable explained everything I needed to know and was worried about. She kept in contact with me until my appointment date. I went in and same as when we spoke on th phone, Lorena gave me that sense of comfort. Dr. Portillo was so great to. He explained everything I needed to know and treated me as if I was part of his family. Dr. Portillo and staff are so great.
San Antonio Tx |
Amazing.
in San Antonio, Texas |
Dr. Portillo-Ramila truly CARES and this definitely shows from day one through today and beyond without a doubt as he will continue to see my wife for further follow-up appointments. My wife and I are completely pleased with everything involving Dr. Portillo-Ramila and his staff, from his office visits to the surgery. He is a true professional who clearly enjoys what he does.
in San Antonio, TX |
Dr Guillermo Portillo made me feel comfortable and his genuine and sincere concern was refreshing! His office staff is the Best! ??
San Antonio, TX |
Excellent doctor with good bedside manner. Highly recommend!
in San Antonio, TX |
Great doctor! I was really nervous on having surgery. He answered all of my questions and scheduled my procedure quickly.
in San Antonio, Texas |
Dr. Portillo made me feel very comfortable that he was doing my gallbladder surgery. He informed me about the procedure and answered all my questions and concerns. He was super nice and treated us like if we were his own family. He is very passionate about what he does and it really shows. His staff was awesome. From making the first appointment to the last visit everyone was nice and helpful. I would recommend Dr. Portillo to anybody that needs his expertise.
in San Antonio, TX |
I had gone through various ER visits and pain because of my inflamed gallbladder until I called Dr. Portillo's office. His staff was so compassionate and my appt was scheduled f the next morning. Dr. Portillo was very knowledgeable about my situation and scheduled my surgery. My surgery experience was excellent! His team was exceptional and my follow up appt was excellent as well including the assistance with my work medical leave paper work.
in San Antonio TX |
Dr. Portillo is amazing. A very kind and considerate doctor who cares about his patients and is truly genuine. He took the time to explain my surgery and what to expect and addressed all my concerns. He completely put me at ease. I had total confidence in him. He has a wonderful staff who treats you with TLC. I was very impressed with the level of care I received. I would highly recommend Dr Portillo.
in San Antonio, TX |
Dr. Portillo took very good care of my daughter. The office staff was wonderful.
in San Antonio, TX |
Absolutely! Dr. Portillo is a Doctor's doctor. He's extremely knowledgeable of the human body, but in addition to that, he brings a real authenticity while professionally describing the upcoming surgery in easy-to-understand terms. He takes the edge out of the operation! I don't often give high remarks, but Dr. Portillo has earned my fullest endorsement. I'd trust him with my life again in a heartbeat. His staff is also extremely professional, friendly, and compassionate.
in San Antonio, TX |
He was very kind and always has a smile but what I like the most is that he is willing to help and it made me feel like I could trust him.
in San Antonio, Texas 78228 |
He's just an awesome doctor. Highly recommend to others. He's compassionate towards he's patients. Ten stars
in San Antonio, TX |
Very professional and understanding. Made me feel comfortable and at ease
in San antonio |
Great staff answered all my concerns and questions. Staff was always ready to help. DR. GUILLERMO PORTILLO answered all my questions prior to surgern. During surgery prep he came to ensure I was okay and ensure everything was okay. After care was readily available had a concern out of business hours and received a call first thing in the morning. Thank you Dr. Guillermo Portillo
in San Antonio Texas |
Dr.Portillo Ramila has been the most wonderful expirence I had with any doctor. He is a very positive and outstanding surgeon and will definitely go back to him if anything and I would also recommend anyone to him.
in San Antonio, TX |
Iwould highly recommend Dr. Portillo Ramila to any oneof my family members and friends because he showed me how much he cares about his patients and he is very nice and friendly,he also explained to me what was needed to be done and he's staff is very sweet and kind and where very helpful to me and my wife about the whole procedure.I want to thank him for everything.
in San Antonio, TX |
Mary A. Chapa; Dr. Portillo Ramila explained all the steps involved in my surgery. The few questions I did have ,Dr.Portillo Ramila treated each question as being very important . It showed me that it was also important to him that I felt informed to the fullest, respected. That gave me confidence in him. All went well and there were no surprises.I followed his post-op plan and have recovered. I highly recommend Dr.Portillo Ramila not only our family, but to everyone.
in San Antonio, TX |
Dr. Portillo is an amazing person! In my case he treated me with the most kindness I have ever received from a doctor. I am so happy I had the chance to be taken care of by an amazing doctor. I recommend him to anyone needing surgery done.
in San Antonio, TX |
Dr. Portillo was straightforward with preliminary diagnosis and the possible negative factors. Nonetheless, he gave us reassurance by explaining in detail surgery procedure and post surgery details.
Have you seen Dr. Guillermo Portillo Ramila, MD?
Are you Dr. Portillo Ramila?

Visit Dr. Portillo Ramila

Humana HMO
    Humana HMOx
    Humana POS
    Humana PPO
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
    Amerigroup