Dr. Guillermo Portillo, MD

General Surgery | Male

South Texas Surgical Group 311 Camden St Ste 409 San Antonio, TX 78215 Get Directions
Dr. Guillermo Portillo, MD
Board certified in general surgery, Dr. Guillermo Portillo is a dual fellowship trained surgeon with decades of experience. Dr. Portillo is bilingual in English and Spanish, and has practiced medicine in South Texas, New York and Mexico. He is highly regarded for his skill as a general surgeon and leadership capabilities, having served as chief resident at hospitals in Mexico City and San Antonio.

Dr. Portillo's Care Philosophy

I will treat you as I would treat my own mother, I will never take short cuts. I will do my best, every time for all my patients.

Dr. Portillo's Experience

See how Dr. Portillo's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Portillo

Dr. Portillo accepts 18 insurance carriers

Dr. Portillo is now accepting new patients
South Texas Surgical Group311 Camden St Ste 409
San Antonio, TX 78215
Evening
(210) 228-9605Get Directions

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Portillo has admitting privileges.

Dr. Portillo's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Portillo to family and friends
Dr. Portillo's Performance
in San Antonio Texas |
Dr.Portillo was great to listen to about the procedure and explained clearly . I gone twice to other Doctors to do the procedure but was very unhappy with the visits. I left Dr.Portillo excited and ready to move forward to a better life style. Thanks to the staff and Dr.Portillo
Houston, TX |
Overall, everything went great! Staff is very friendly & helpful. Doc was good and efficient. My one complaint is you have to ask the doc the right questions because he covers the basics.
in San Antonio, Tx |
Great service
San Antonio, TX |
I have my gallbladder removed and he was faster during surgery. And at the follow-up visit he answered all my questions that I had and gave me all the info I needed it.
in San Antonio, TX |
I HAD A WONDERFUL EXPIERENCE WITH DOCTOR PORTILLO. HE WAS KIND, GENTLE N HE LISTENED TO WHAT U HAD TO SAY. WHEN REMOVING THE DRAIN BAG HE HELPED ME SO I WOULDN'T FEEL PAIN WHEN HE PULLED IT OUT TO REMOVE IT. I AM REALLY HAPPY THAT DOCTOR PORTILLO ACCEPTED TO DO MY SURGERY. THX U DR PORTILLO, U R A WONDERFUL DOCTOR N I WILL REFER YOU IF I AM ASKED WHO DID MY SURGERY.
San Antonio, TX |
Dr. Portillo was great! Aways answered all my questions and always made sure I understood everything he was saying. Very professional! I would definitely recommend him to family and friends
in San Antonio, TX |
It was my First time ever to have a Surgery done on me. So I was very nervous, the staff was so patient and helpful in answering any questions I had. When I met Dr Portillo and we started talking , he too answered our questions and respected my beliefs on the No Blood issue being that I am a JW and he knew exactly what needed be done and made me feel at ease about the surgery. After surgery He saw me one more time, I haven't had any more problems. I do Highly Recommed Dr. Portillo Very Much.
San Antonio, TX |
Dr.Portillo was recommended to me after I found out a day before my surgery that my Dr. was no longer in practice .But I am glad they recommend him to me I met him the day of my surgery and he answered all my questions and explained the procedure to me. He made me feel comfortable and he was very caring and introduced himself to my family and answered all thier questions which put us all at ease . He has a great staff one who I really liked Lorena who was awesome answered all my questions.????
in San Antonio, TX |
Best doctor!! He very caring and very humble man. He apologized for keeping me waiting in a room for less than 10 minutes . His staff is very nice. Dr Portillo did surgery on a mass on my breast. It's only been a week and it's healing perfect. He just an awesome doctor I swear put your trust in this man he treats you like family!!
in San Antonio, TX |
Dr. Portillo is one of the finest doctors I've had the pleasure of meeting. He spent an appropriate time with me and asked about meds and other health problems I was having. I felt I needed surgery due to increased symptoms. Within the next 2 weeks I had surgery and everything went well. His professionalism is above and beyond my expectations and his bedside manner made me feel comfortable and well cared for. Finally, a doctor who is caring and sympathetic to my aches and pains. All very good!
in San Antonio |
Dr. Portillo is excellent. Explained my procedure and answered all my questions and concerns. The staff, from the front desk ladies to Ms Lorena, are the nicest and very professional. Definitely will recommend, Dr Portillo.
in corpus christi, tx |
I found him 2 hrs from my city! And I'm so happy I did ,he is the most sweetest kind Dr. I have ever had , he took me when other doctors would not he truly cares for his patients his staff is so wonderful they are always there to answer any questions you have and go beyond to help you get what you need , when I had my surgery and was in hospital he came every day! He made sure nurses were there for me! I'm so happy I found him the 2 hour drive was worth every visit!
Excellent services!
in San Antonio, TX |
My experience with Dr. Portillo were awesome. He is a very caring person and makes you feel like own family. His personality made me feel like I had known him for a long time and made me feel like everything was going to be fine. I had surgery, and before surgery in the prep room, Dr. Portillo came over and assure me that everything would be fine. I felt very comfortable going to surgery. It has been several months and I feel like a brand new man. Thanks Dr. Portillo for awesome job.
in San Antonio, TX |
The doctor gets right to the issue and works to easy everything that is bothering you. Takes care of you as if you were part of his family.
in San Antonio, TX |
I would recommend Dr. Portillo to anyone who is in need of a great doctor who truly cares about his patients. Long story short my insurance had dropped the hospital that I was at 2 days prior to me arriving at the hospital. When Dr. Portillo found out about the issue he assured me that he would personally ensure that I did not walk out of the hospital with a huge bill. He followed through in his commitment to me and I only had to pay as if I were in network. The surgeries went great as well.
in San Antonio, Tx |
Dr Portillo is amazing. When I contacted his office I had been having severe pain and I had an infection that caused my sugar to be in the 500's! Dr Portillo's staff talked to Dr Portillo and before I knew it they advised me that he would see me between surgeries the next morning. He immediately saw the problem and scheduled me for surgery the next day. The day after my surgery I felt a great deal of relief and my sugar dropped 300 pts! Thank you so much Dr Portillo, you helped me so much!!!!!!
Cibolo, TX |
It all started with a phone call. I was just looking for a consult or information. I spoke to Lorena and she made me feel so comfortable explained everything I needed to know and was worried about. She kept in contact with me until my appointment date. I went in and same as when we spoke on th phone, Lorena gave me that sense of comfort. Dr. Portillo was so great to. He explained everything I needed to know and treated me as if I was part of his family. Dr. Portillo and staff are so great.
San Antonio Tx |
Amazing.
in San Antonio, Texas |
Dr. Portillo-Ramila truly CARES and this definitely shows from day one through today and beyond without a doubt as he will continue to see my wife for further follow-up appointments. My wife and I are completely pleased with everything involving Dr. Portillo-Ramila and his staff, from his office visits to the surgery. He is a true professional who clearly enjoys what he does.
in San Antonio, TX |
Dr Guillermo Portillo made me feel comfortable and his genuine and sincere concern was refreshing! His office staff is the Best! ??
San Antonio, TX |
Excellent doctor with good bedside manner. Highly recommend!
in San Antonio, TX |
Great doctor! I was really nervous on having surgery. He answered all of my questions and scheduled my procedure quickly.
in San Antonio, Texas |
Dr. Portillo made me feel very comfortable that he was doing my gallbladder surgery. He informed me about the procedure and answered all my questions and concerns. He was super nice and treated us like if we were his own family. He is very passionate about what he does and it really shows. His staff was awesome. From making the first appointment to the last visit everyone was nice and helpful. I would recommend Dr. Portillo to anybody that needs his expertise.
in San Antonio, TX |
I had gone through various ER visits and pain because of my inflamed gallbladder until I called Dr. Portillo's office. His staff was so compassionate and my appt was scheduled f the next morning. Dr. Portillo was very knowledgeable about my situation and scheduled my surgery. My surgery experience was excellent! His team was exceptional and my follow up appt was excellent as well including the assistance with my work medical leave paper work.
in San Antonio TX |
Dr. Portillo is amazing. A very kind and considerate doctor who cares about his patients and is truly genuine. He took the time to explain my surgery and what to expect and addressed all my concerns. He completely put me at ease. I had total confidence in him. He has a wonderful staff who treats you with TLC. I was very impressed with the level of care I received. I would highly recommend Dr Portillo.
in San Antonio, TX |
Dr. Portillo took very good care of my daughter. The office staff was wonderful.
in San Antonio, TX |
Absolutely! Dr. Portillo is a Doctor's doctor. He's extremely knowledgeable of the human body, but in addition to that, he brings a real authenticity while professionally describing the upcoming surgery in easy-to-understand terms. He takes the edge out of the operation! I don't often give high remarks, but Dr. Portillo has earned my fullest endorsement. I'd trust him with my life again in a heartbeat. His staff is also extremely professional, friendly, and compassionate.
in San Antonio, TX |
He was very kind and always has a smile but what I like the most is that he is willing to help and it made me feel like I could trust him.
in San Antonio, Texas 78228 |
He's just an awesome doctor. Highly recommend to others. He's compassionate towards he's patients. Ten stars
in San Antonio, TX |
Very professional and understanding. Made me feel comfortable and at ease
in San antonio |
Great staff answered all my concerns and questions. Staff was always ready to help. DR. GUILLERMO PORTILLO answered all my questions prior to surgern. During surgery prep he came to ensure I was okay and ensure everything was okay. After care was readily available had a concern out of business hours and received a call first thing in the morning. Thank you Dr. Guillermo Portillo
in San Antonio Texas |
Dr.Portillo Ramila has been the most wonderful expirence I had with any doctor. He is a very positive and outstanding surgeon and will definitely go back to him if anything and I would also recommend anyone to him.
in San Antonio, TX |
Iwould highly recommend Dr. Portillo Ramila to any oneof my family members and friends because he showed me how much he cares about his patients and he is very nice and friendly,he also explained to me what was needed to be done and he's staff is very sweet and kind and where very helpful to me and my wife about the whole procedure.I want to thank him for everything.
in San Antonio, TX |
Mary A. Chapa; Dr. Portillo Ramila explained all the steps involved in my surgery. The few questions I did have ,Dr.Portillo Ramila treated each question as being very important . It showed me that it was also important to him that I felt informed to the fullest, respected. That gave me confidence in him. All went well and there were no surprises.I followed his post-op plan and have recovered. I highly recommend Dr.Portillo Ramila not only our family, but to everyone.
in San Antonio, TX |
Dr. Portillo is an amazing person! In my case he treated me with the most kindness I have ever received from a doctor. I am so happy I had the chance to be taken care of by an amazing doctor. I recommend him to anyone needing surgery done.
in San Antonio, TX |
Dr. Portillo was straightforward with preliminary diagnosis and the possible negative factors. Nonetheless, he gave us reassurance by explaining in detail surgery procedure and post surgery details.
in San Antonio tx |
Dr Portillo was very very nice,kind,compassionate. I would highly recommend him to all my friends &family he made me feel very comfortable. And he explained everything well
in San Antonio, TX |
In my opinion he does better with folks who speak spanish. His behavior was rude and he does not listen to the patient. He reads your history and sums you up. Disagreeing or questioning him will lead to a referral out to someone else. Don't waste your time here.
in San Antonio, TX |
Dr/ Portillo Ramila was very compassionate and caring and very knowledgable. I knew my daughter had a very good surgeon i had no worries.
in San Antonio, TX |
Dr. Portillo comes across as very knowledgeable and caring. He takes his time to explain what is going on and to reassure you that he will do the best he can for you.
in San Antonio, TX |
Dr. Portillo recently removed my gallbladder (Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy). I could not have asked for a better surgeon. I was well informed at all times, which kept my mind at ease and stress to a minimum. His compassion made for a smooth transition. Two weeks later and I couldn't be happier as I am making a great recovery. I would not hesitate to refer anyone to Dr. Portillo. He is an incredible surgeon and human being.
in San Antonio, TX |
Dr. Guillermo Portillo, is an exceptional surgeon. He recently treated my mother for an emergency gallbladder surgery and is now treating my father for a different issue. He is quick to answer any questions or concerns you may have and is an excellent spanish speaker. The Diaz family is very lucky to have found him.
in San Antonio, TX |
Excellent surgeon, knowledgeable, able to relate information to patient in an understandable way. Great personality. I felt completely comfortable knowing he was my surgeon
in San Antonio, TC |
Dr. Portillo is compassionate, intelligent and thorough. He explained complex procedures in simple language. He handled complications with the procedure professionally and expertly. He was available for questions always and despite the complexity of my procedure, my healing has been top notch and speedy. I attribute my stellar recovery to the expertise of Dr. Portillo. I have worked with top doctors in california and new york and Dr. Portillo is in with the best of them. I highly recommend
Dr. Portillo did a great job explaining my procedure as well as performing the procedure.
in San Antonio, TX |
Very warm and friendly. Explains procedure in simple terms.
Have you seen Dr. Guillermo Portillo, MD?
Are you Dr. Portillo?

Compare Dr. Portillo

Dr. Portillo's Care Philosophy

I will treat you as I would treat my own mother,  I will never take short cuts.  I will do my best, every time for all my patients.

• Basic Laparoscopic Surgery

• Gallbladder And Biliary Tract Surgery
  • Gatroesophageal Reflux
  • Hiatal hernia
  • High Complexity General Surgery

Dr. Portillo's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in General Surgery
  •  Board certified in General Surgery

Dr. Portillo has no media or publications listed.

Why It Matters: Dr. Portillo's Board Certifications

• Diaphragmatic and-or Hiatal Hernia
  • Ductal Carcinoma in Situ
  • Endocrine Cancer
  • Gallstones
  • Gastroenterologic Cancer (Colon, Stomach, Esophageal, Liver)
  • Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
  • Gland Cancer
  • Intestinal Obstruction
  • Invasive Breast Cancer
  • Invasive Ductal Carcinoma
  • Invasive Lobular Carcinoma
  • Lobular Carcinoma in Situ (LCIS)
  • Locally Advanced Breast Cancer

University of Texas Medical School At San Antonio

Completed in 2015

University of Rochester

Completed in 2012

Dr. Portillo does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Portillo and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Bariatric Surgery
  • Wound & Burn Care

• Adrenal Surgery
  • Adrenalectomy
  • Appendectomy, Laparoscopic
  • Bariatric Surgery (Weight Loss Surgery)
  • Bile Duct Procedure
  • Hernia and Hydrocele Repair
  • Inguinal Hernia Repair, Laparoscopic
  • Inguinal Hernia Repair, Open
  • Inguinal Hernia Surgery
  • Intestinal Transplant (incl. Enterectomy)
  • Laparoscopic Adrenal Surgery
  • Open Hernia Procedures
  • Open Incisional and-or Ventral Hernia Repair
  • Opening of Bile Ducts
  • Partial Adrenalectomy
  • Percutaneous Edoscopic Gastrostomy (PEG)
  • Port Placements or Replacements