Gretchen Stecher, MA

Gretchen Stecher, MA

Psychological Trauma  ·
Female  ·
Gretchen Stecher, MA is a psychological trauma specialist in Boulder, CO. She specializes in psychological trauma and psychotherapy.Read her story

1800 30th St Ste 207

Boulder, CO 80301

Learn about Gretchen Stecher

Gretchen Stecher's bio

This content was provided by Gretchen Stecher "Information becomes knowledge through experience. ~ Alexander Lowen My life has been a heroine's journey, where I spent years in dark places walking among the undead. I answered the call of my strong drive toward wellness, the amazing life force in us all. Deeply influenced in the early 1990's by Women Who Run with the Wolves, by C. P. Estés, I know in my bones that it is possible to move away from the misery of victimhood and grow into love for one's self and others. I trust the process. I trust that all is well. I draw on spiritual guides and divine energy in my life and my work, seeking and supporting authentic expression. My 20 years of 12 Step recovery includes membership in Adult Children of Alcoholics, Al-Anon and Alcoholics Anonymous programs. Many of the principles in these programs permeate my inclusive perspective on spirituality, therapy and life. That said, I also know that 12 Step programs are not a great fit for everyone. In the 1980's, I worked as an exit counselor and educator, helping people leave destructive groups (cults) that used mind control. In 2001 I became certified as a sexual assault and domestic violence counselor and advocate in Massachusetts. I trained staff and volunteers, facilitated groups, and was actively involved in numerous community outreach programs and events to raise awareness about these very important issues. I worked primarily with women, often mothers, helping them cope with the consequences of the trauma and addictions in their lives. For 10 years I was an on-call advocate for all gender sexual assault survivors during hospital forensic exams. In the ensuing years, I've been honored to have as clients women with co-occurring trauma and addictions, severe PTSD, grief and loss, numerous Adult Child of Alcoholics (ACOA) issues, addicted children, parenting concerns, relationship issues, and women seeking recovery from mind control used in destructive groups, among other challenges. Elders, with whom I have a special affinity, are also among my clients. Additionally, I've worked with various genders and sexual orientations, couples and families focusing on relationship dynamics, improving the family system and myriad aspects of parenting. As a lifelong learner, I continually deepen my skills by engaging in professional trainings and personal growth work. I also assist with equine facilitated psychotherapy groups for women with trauma histories and substance abuse recovery. Amazed by the profound impact of horses in groups with humans, I continue to make myself available to participate in the healing process with these authentic, powerful creatures."

This content was provided by Gretchen Stecher "Change happens when we take care of ourselves. What works is what counts. I love discovering together what works for each person. My body-based, compassionate, collaborative approach to psychotherapy includes mindfulness, deep listening, metaphor, creative expression, humor and sacred ceremonies. Informed by Hakomi, I use parts work, trauma resolution, an attachment perspective, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Gestalt, and touch with permission when appropriate. I believe that a big part of my job is helping others remember their divine essence. It's important to check in on what's happening with self care - mental, emotional, physical and spiritual well-being. I'm passionate about women recovering their vitality and power!"

• Psychological Trauma
  • Psychotherapy

Gretchen Stecher does not have any board certifications listed.

• Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)

No malpractice history found for Colorado.

• Bridgewater State College
    Undergraduate School | Graduated
  • Vermont College
    Undergraduate School | Graduated
  • Naropa University
    Other Education | Completed

Gretchen Stecher has no awards or honors listed.

Gretchen Stecher has no media or publications listed.

Gretchen Stecher does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Gretchen Stecher and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Gretchen Stecher's Reviews

Help millions of people find the right doctor. Share your experience today!
Likelihood of recommending Gretchen Stecher to family and friends
Are you Gretchen Stecher?