Dr. Gregory Weinstein, MD

Ear, Nose, and Throat | Male

Univ Of Penn Otolaryngology 3400 Civic Center Blvd # Perelman Philadelphia, PA 19104 Get Directions
Dr. Gregory Weinstein, MD
I have been faculty at the University of Pennsylvania since 1991 and am a founding member and Co-Director of the Penn Center for Head and Neck Cancer, which is an internationally renowned multidisciplinary team for the management of all aspects of care of patients with head and neck cancers. As Professor and Vice Chair in the Department of Otorhinolaryngology: Head and Neck Surgery, my team and I have focused not only providing the best and most innovative care for patients with head and neck cancers but has also focused on providing safe and compassionate care for each and every patient. The philosophy of my patient care team is "Making the Best Better" not only in patient outcomes but in providing timely, efficient, safe and outstanding care. This has resulted in being listed as a Castle Connolly America's Top Doctors® since 2002. In addition our department has been listed this year by US News and World Report as #1 in Philadelphia and #3 in the United States. My clinical expertise is in the head and neck surgery including all aspects of cancer surgery of oral, pharyngeal, laryngeal and neck cancer, thyroid and parotid surgery as well as special expertise in Transoral Robotic Surgery(TORS) and using surgery to save the voice box. I have developed an international reputation for expertise in organ preservation for cancers involving the larynx. I was the first surgeon in the United States to perform the larynx preserving surgery, the Supracricoid Partial Laryngectomy, and has been the primary instructor of this procedure nationally and has reported on the largest American series of this procedure. I also co-established the world's first research program in Transoral Robotic Surgery(TORS) with the da Vinci Surgical system. Through a multi-tiered research program, beginning with airway mannequins, and progressing through cadaver and animal models, numerous novel head and neck and skull base procedures were invented utilizing the da Vinci surgical system. I was Principle Investigator for the world's first Institutional Review Board approved human trial in Transoral Robotic Surgery (TORS). TORS utilizes the da Vinci surgical system to resect benign and malignant lesions of the oral cavity, pharynx, larynx and skull base. Approximately 1500 patients have undergone TORS at the University of Pennsylvania, to date. Prior to FDA clearance for use of TORS in the United States my team established the International TORS training program in which participants attend a clinical observership, cadaver robotic laboratory at the University of Pennsylvania. This program has resulted in the establishment of active TORS clinical programs in numerous countries including Belgium, England, Denmark, France, Italy, Brazil, Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore, Spain, The Czech Republic, India, Australia, India, Japan and Turkey as well as others. Following FDA clearance the training program at the University of Pennsylvania was expanded to include American surgeons. To date approximately 250 post-graduate American Head and Neck Surgeons have participated in the TORS training program at the University of Pennsylvania. Because of my important work in the area of voice box preservation in the face of laryngeal cancer and TORS resulting in his being honored, on two separate occasions, with The University of Pennsylvania Health System Award of Excellence Luigi Mastroianni Clinical Innovator Award. I have authored of over 150 peer reviewed medical articles. My books entitled Organ Preservation Surgery for Laryngeal Cancer and Transoral Robotic Surgery provide comprehensive and practical guides for clinicians in each of these surgical areas. I was a founding member and the first president of the Society of Robotic Surgeons. He has been Principal or Co-Principal investigator on multiple research grants. Between 1993 and 2014, I have given over 125 invited international and national lectures.

Dr. Weinstein's Care Philosophy

"Making the Best Better" Patients who call my office at 215-349-5390 are greeted by a live human voice. I have 3 secretaries who work only for my patients. Their entire focus is to serve the patients and to provide efficient, safe and quality care in a timely fashion. All new patients are often seen within 48 hours. Their goal is to coordinate all tests and appointments in a convenient way. Being ill can be emotionally overwhelming and coming to new hospital adds to those feelings. His secretaries consider themselves care "ambassadors" and they are only a phone call away to help patients with all of their needs. For the past 20 years Jean Bottos RN an outstanding nurse has worked for me. But as the practice has grown over the decades, patients made it clear that they wanted more access. A few years ago we added an RN and medical assistant. My patients can always access an experienced team member to answer all of their questions with compassion and care.

Dr. Weinstein's Experience

See how Dr. Weinstein's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Weinstein

Dr. Weinstein accepts 32 insurance carriers

Dr. Weinstein is now accepting new patients
    Univ Of Penn Otolaryngology3400 Civic Center Blvd # Perelman
    Philadelphia, PA 19104
    (215) 349-5390Get Directions

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Weinstein has admitting privileges.

Dr. Weinstein's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Weinstein to family and friends
    Dr. Weinstein Says:

Dr. Weinstein's Performance
    in Robbinsville N.J. |
    Dr. Weinstein removed a very agressive cancer on my husbands neck 10 years ago. He received radiation treatment and went into remission. This year, oral cancer was discovered during a routine dental check-up. It was likely caused from the earlier radiation treatment. Dr. Weinstein was able to save most of his tongue as to not impact his speech. He is now cured & my husband was able to see his daughter graduate college, grad school and lastly, to walk her down the isle. Thank you Dr. W. & HUP.
    in Mullica Hill NJ |
    My mother is a patient of Dr. Weinstein and her experience with him and his staff has been fantastic. When we went to him seven years ago terrified with my mothers cancer results he did everything he could to save her life and he did. Seven years later and so grateful for everything, we will miss seeing everyone for moms yearly visit. We would highly recommend Dr. Weinstein and will always be forever in his debt. Melissa Hughes
    Washington, DC |
    Excellent all-around care, from surgery through radiation and chemo to a cancer-free declaration at five years.
    in Tuckerton, NJ |
    Dr. Gregory Weinstein is a gifted, extremely knowledgeable and caring surgeon. He removed a mass from my trachea and a thyroidectomy because I had a tumor on my thyroid. Both surgeries went extremely well. I was unable to find a surgeon locally who was willing to perform the necessary surgeries. I do not know what I would have done without Dr. Weinstein and I give him the highest recommendation! His staff is wonderful - professional and caring.
    in Philadelphia, PA |
    I went to Dr. Weinstein for a head/neck P-16-positive squamous cell carcinoma, likely located in my tonsil. I am so thankful for this referral to UPenn! Dr. Weinstein is the best in the world at what he does –– one of the few and most experienced who can offer a surgery-only solution to early tonsil cancer. More than two years later, I am feeling great and better than ever, am cancer free, and am enjoying only benefits and virtually no residual effects. He is a rock star in his field.
    in Bound Brook, NJ |
    If you have any kind of throat or base of tongue cancer, rush to Dr. Gregory Weinstein. Best decision I ever made to go to Penn and have him as my doctor!
    in Marietta PA |
    Dr. Weinstein is the best Doctor to have if you're battling head/neck cancer. A skilled surgeon with both his hands and the Davinci robot. His bed side manner is great as he talks to you in laymen's terms and a casual manner. More importantly he talked to me, and with me, not at me. Without a doubt I was blessed to have Dr. Weinstein as my surgeon.
    Langhorne, PA |
    I met Dr. Weinstein in 2004 when I learned I had Base of Tongue cancer at the local ENT. Dr. Weinstein performed surgery on me to remove the tumor as I wanted the cancer out. Dr. Weinstein and Jean spent a lot of time answering our questions while bouncing back and forth seeing other patients as well. It gave us (my wife and I) time to absorb the answers they gave us. I/we are very fortunate to have been directed to Dr. Weinstein and his staff
    in Yardley, PA |
    Simply put, Dr. Weinstein saved my life. From start to finish, Penn took impeccable care of me. I honestly can't say a bad word about my experience having been his patient. I highly recommend Dr. Weinstein. A true professional.
    in Bernville, PA |
    Dr. Weinstein saved my life. I have also heard and seen what he has done for others. He is a busy man but spends the time needed to address all your questions and concerns. Every time I go to see him (now on a yearly basis) there is always at least one student with him. I have never felt so relaxed with a doctor or hospital. Even the day of my full neck dissection, I've been more nervous knowing I was going to the dentist. If your searching for a ENT doctor, you found him.
    Edison, NJ |
    I highly recommend Dr Weinstein. My son was diagnosed with cancer of the neck and throat at a very early age. His staff and team were always courteous when I called with concerns. After performing a radical neck dissection on my son, he assured our family that he got it all, and that he treated my son as though he was his own son. We are truly indebted to this wonderful talented doctor who saved our sons life.He was sympathetic and caring. Theres no question that hes the very best there is.
    in Jenkintown, PA |
    I have A very dear (MD) friend that recommended I contact you when I was diagnosed with throat cancer. Her sending me to you was a gift I can never repay. I have grown very fond of you over the years I have been under your care and having been given a clean bill of health will miss seeing you. I know you are busy, but I still tell everyone what a special caring physician and person you are.
    Have you seen Dr. Gregory Weinstein, MD?
    Are you Dr. Weinstein?

Dr. Weinstein says...

I have been faculty at the University of Pennsylvania since 1991 and am a founding member and Co-Director of the Penn Center for Head and Neck Cancer, which is an internationally renowned multidisciplinary team for the management of all aspects of care of patients with head and neck cancers. As Professor and Vice Chair in the Department of Otorhinolaryngology: Head and Neck Surgery, my team and I have focused not only providing the best and most innovative care for patients with head and neck cancers but has also focused on providing safe and compassionate care for each and every patient. The philosophy of my patient care team is "Making the Best Better" not only in patient outcomes but in providing timely, efficient, safe and outstanding care. This has resulted in being listed as a Castle Connolly America's Top Doctors® since 2002. In addition our department has been listed this year by US News and World Report as #1 in Philadelphia and #3 in the United States. My clinical expertise is in the head and neck surgery including all aspects of cancer surgery of oral, pharyngeal, laryngeal and neck cancer, thyroid and parotid surgery as well as special expertise in Transoral Robotic Surgery(TORS) and using surgery to save the voice box. I have developed an international reputation for expertise in organ preservation for cancers involving the larynx. I was the first surgeon in the United States to perform the larynx preserving surgery, the Supracricoid Partial Laryngectomy, and has been the primary instructor of this procedure nationally and has reported on the largest American series of this procedure. I also co-established the world's first research program in Transoral Robotic Surgery(TORS) with the da Vinci Surgical system.  Through a multi-tiered research program, beginning with airway mannequins, and progressing through cadaver and animal models, numerous novel head and neck and skull base procedures were invented utilizing the da Vinci surgical system.  I was Principle Investigator for the world's first Institutional Review Board approved human trial in Transoral Robotic Surgery (TORS).  TORS utilizes the da Vinci surgical system to resect benign and malignant lesions of the oral cavity, pharynx, larynx and skull base.  Approximately 1500 patients have undergone TORS at the University of Pennsylvania, to date. Prior to FDA clearance for use of TORS in the United States my team established the International TORS training program in which participants attend a clinical observership, cadaver robotic laboratory at the University of Pennsylvania. This program has resulted in the establishment of active TORS clinical programs in numerous countries including Belgium, England, Denmark, France, Italy, Brazil, Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore, Spain, The Czech Republic, India, Australia, India, Japan and Turkey as well as others. Following FDA clearance the training program at the University of Pennsylvania was expanded to include American surgeons.  To date approximately 250 post-graduate American Head and Neck Surgeons have participated in the TORS training program at the University of Pennsylvania.   Because of my important work in the area of voice box preservation in the face of laryngeal cancer and TORS resulting in his being honored, on two separate occasions, with The University of Pennsylvania Health System Award of Excellence Luigi Mastroianni Clinical Innovator Award. I have authored of over 150 peer reviewed medical articles. My books entitled Organ Preservation Surgery for Laryngeal Cancer  and Transoral Robotic Surgery provide comprehensive and  practical guides for clinicians in each of these surgical areas. I was a founding member and the first president of the Society of Robotic Surgeons. He has been Principal or Co-Principal investigator on multiple research grants.  Between 1993 and 2014, I have given over 125 invited international and national lectures.

Dr. Weinstein's Care Philosophy

Dr. Weinstein says...

I have been faculty at the University of Pennsylvania for over 23 years and am Professor and Vice Chair of the Department of Otorhinolaryngology: Head and Neck Surgery.  I also am the Director of the Division of Head and Neck Surgery.  I have expertise in diagnosing and treating all head and neck cancers and benign tumors he has particular expertise in treating cancers of the voice box as well as human papilloma virus related tongue base or tonsil cancer. Our team recently published the largest American experience with the Supracricoid Partial Laryngectomy which noted a 100% preservation of the larynx for T2 cancer and an 89% chance of saving the voice box when patients failed prior radiation therapy. (http://proxy.library.upenn.edu:2066/pubmed/24092390 ) Our team's outcomes published in 2014 using Transoral Robotic Surgery (TORS) for human papilloma virus related tongue base or tonsil cancer noted a cure rate of 95% (http://proxy.library.upenn.edu:2066/pubmed/25197014).

Dr. Weinstein says...

I have been faculty at the University of Pennsylvania since 1991 and is the founding member and Co-Director of the Penn Center for Head and Neck Cancer, which is an internationally renowned multidisciplinary team for the management of all aspects of care of patients with head and neck cancers. My clinical expertise is in the head and neck surgery including all aspects of cancer surgery of oral cavity, throat, voice box and neck as well as special expertise in thyroid and parotid surgery. I have developed an international reputation for expertise in saving the voice box with surgery or non-surgical approaches for cancers involving the larynx. I co-invented Transoral Robotic Surgery (TORS) which has been shown to provide over a 95% cure rate for Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) related tonsil and tongue base cancer with the finest quality of life outcomes. Our team and I has performed over 1500 TORS cases – more than any center in the world.

Dr. Weinstein says...

US News and World Report lists our department as #1 in Philadelphia and #3 in the United States. US News and World Report asks patients if they would recommend UPENN to friends and family with 4% saying "probably not or no". This is on par with other comparable institutions such as Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore where 3% said "probably not or no". My practice has focused our approach on "Making the Best Better" by taking the concerns of the 4% of dissatisfied patients very seriously. To accomplish this goal we have created a personal care team for his patients who focus not only on providing the best care in the most efficient way but to also make every encounter patient care-centric and compassionate. If you received great service and attention please share this with your referring doctor or a friend. If not please tell me or my team so we can improve our care going forward.

Dr. Weinstein's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Ear, Nose, and Throat
    •  Board certified in Otolaryngology
    •  Malpractice claims in Pennsylvania not available

Dr. Weinstein has no media or publications listed.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Pennsylvania.

Why It Matters: Dr. Weinstein's Board Certifications

• Otolaryngology

• Adenocarcinoma
    • Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma
    • Basal Cell Carcinoma
    • Basosquamous Carcinoma
    • Bleeding Disorders
    • Carcinoma
    • Chronic Myeloid Leukemia (CML)
    • Cough
    • Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma
    • Dizziness
    • Drooping Eyelids (Ptosis)
    • ENT Cancer
    • Parathyroid (Gland) Tumor: Other than Malignant
    • Parathyroid Cancer
    • Parathyroid Carcinoma
    • Pharyngeal Cancer
    • Primary Hypercoagulable State (incl. Factor V Leiden Disease)
    • Salivary Gland Cancer
    • Sinus Cancer
    • Sinusitis
    • Soft Tissue Sarcoma
    • Soft Tissue Sarcoma of Head, Face, and Neck
    • Squamous Cell Carcinoma
    • Squamous Cell Carcinoma of Head and Neck
    • Throat Cancer
    • Throat Cancer (Hypopharyngeal)
    • Throat Cancer (Nasopharyngeal)
    • Throat Cancer (Oropharyngeal)
    • Throat Pain

Head and Neck Oncologic Surgery
      University of California At Davis / School of Medicine
      The University Of Pennsylvania

Graduated in 1980

Dr. Weinstein does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Weinstein and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Ear, Nose, and Throat

• Laryngectomy and Pharyngectomy
    • Laryngoscopy and Laryngotomy
    • Lip, Excision or Resection
    • Lymph Node Biopsy or Excision
    • Sphenoidectomy (Sinus Surgery)
    • Thyroid Lobectomy
    • Thyroidectomy
    • Thyroidectomy or Thyroid Lobectomy
    • TransOral Robotic Surgery (TORS)
    • Vestibule and Floor of Mouth, Excision or Destruction