Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD

Dr. Thorkelson
Telehealth services available

The Nexus Group PC

5725 Forward Ave Ste 401 Pittsburgh, PA 15217

Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD is a Child & Adolescent Psychiatry Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA. He is affiliated with Conemaugh Memorial Medical Center - Main Campus. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Thorkelson to book an appointment.

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Child & Adolescent Psychiatry Specialists in your area

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Offers Telehealth
  • Recent Reviews
    Reviews made in the last 30 days. See reviews

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for Pennsylvania

Check Dr. Thorkelson's experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. Thorkelson's conditions and procedures:

• ADHD and-or ADD
  • Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
  • Developmental and Learning Disorders
  • Impulse Control Disorders
  • Major Depressive Disorder
  • Medication Management
  • Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
  • Panic Disorder
  • Phobia
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
  • Psychosis Due to Mental Illness
  • Schizophreniform and Schizoaffective Disorder
  • Speech, Language and Learning Disorders
  • Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS)

Dr. Thorkelson accepts

Dr. Thorkelson accepts the following insurance:

Aetna EPO

Dr. Thorkelson's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Thorkelson

4.5

Dr. Thorkelson?
  • Explained conditions well (45)
  • Staff friendliness (45)
  • Trusted the provider's decisions (45)
  • Didn't explain conditions well (7)
  • Didn't listen or answer questions (7)
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions (7)
I appreciate Dr. Thorkelson's holistic approach. Instead of just writing a script or increasing dosage, he listens and asks questions, and will recommend supplements, meditation, and other lifestyle changes that work in tandem with medication. He worked with me for several months until we found the right approach to my concerns.
Apr 19, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?
We called to get a much-needed appointment for our child, and we filled out the online intake forms. The office did not respond for weeks. When we called back, they promised to get back to us that day. Several days later we received a bizarre letter saying our daughter could not be seen there and that we should not call them to ask why. A doctor who allows this level of incompetence in the front office is probably not good value.
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Staff wasn't friendly
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Apr 06, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?
Not too long ago, I was dealing with a bunch of physical symptoms, including GI symptoms, accompanied by high levels of anxiety over dealing with those symptoms. I saw many doctors without much success. Eventually, my journey led me to seek out medical assistance from a Mental Health perspective. I chose The Nexus Group, based on their reputation for “not just being pill-pushers” and taking a multi-faceted and analytical approach to treating your ailments. The Nexus Group has lived up to that reputation. Everyone at The Nexus Group is fantastic. Even the people on the administrative side are great and very pleasant. However, I’d like to give a big shout-out to Rachel Kosciusko, one of the Physician Assistants. I’ve been seeing her regularly from the beginning. She’s everything that The Nexus Group strives to be. She’s knowledgeable, professional, patient, and very kind. And, she’s been a tremendous catalyst in improving my overall health and sense of wellbeing.
An Engineer – Mar 31, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?
In my journey to being healthy, Rachel has helped me take the first and most difficult steps. Her medical expertise, support, and kindness have helped me to help myself to get to better mental health.
Sarah A Mueller – Mar 16, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?
I was referred to the Nexus Group by my therapist. Dr. Thorkelson helped me realize that I had been living with undiagnosed ADHD, high social anxiety and multiple traumas. He is a prolific psychiatrist who addresses physical/nutritional as well as psychological problems throughout the course of treatment and spends time knowing the patient before prescribing meds. He walked me through every stage of treatment, dosage and possible side effects. I am in my late-thirties, so diagnosis isn't easy because I've learned how to mask my problems. Having lived with all these issues with no help, I highly appreciate the significant improvement in my life and my psychological health. The Nexus group are a great team. I highly recommend them.
Feb 27, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?
Dr. Thorkelson and the Nexus Group team are the best mental health providers out there. With extreme anxiety and past traumas, I was always depressed, felt invalid and disabled. I had been seeking help from many mental health providers before I came to Nexus Group. After a very thorough evaluation, I was given a solid treatment plan with monthly appointments. I now feel so much more energetic, confident, and loving life. Everyone at the Nexus office is so kind and caring as well. I highly recommend the group to anyone who seeks mental health care.
Natalie – Feb 21, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?
I am in my late twenties and developed depression as a young child. I have other comorbid mental health conditions, including anxiety, to the point where I cannot drive — this meant walking several miles to- and from my TMS appointments every day for nine weeks, which I would absolutely do again, in a heartbeat. TMS has completely changed my life. The depression has lifted and my other mental health problems are easier to treat and handle now. I find more joy in my day-to-day, and the days that aren't so joyful aren't as devastating as they once were. I used to be a very angry person, and I can't get upset the way I did before, which is amazing. My only suggestion would be for some of the staff, and for Dr. Thorkelson in particular, to educate themselves a bit and become a more trauma-informed practice. Otherwise, they were all excellent. They were very flexible in their scheduling so I never had to miss work. Both TMS techs I worked with were very kind and compassionate as well.
R. – Jan 27, 2021
Pain/stress disorder
  • Long wait times
Jan 27, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?
Dr Thorkelson is a great doctor. Can’t say enough about him. I also would recommend him to members of the LGBTQ community.
Dec 06, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?
We don't know how, but Dr. Thorkelson was able to almost immediately diagnose our adult autistic son with a very rare condition. It was evident that he took the time to not only evaluate our son, but to also read through all the medical records that were available. He even took the time to contact our pediatrician. We are so encouraged by our son's progress under the care of Dr. Thorkelson and we are forever grateful to him for his outstanding care.
J B – Jun 06, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?
Dr. Thorkelson has provided many tools in my continued journey to success. He explains how the tools will assist and emphasizes that they will only help if you use them, understanding that both short and long term goals need to be put in place. He is an active listener that challengers your current thinking to realize something needs rectified to initiate change. After all, our behavior is a reflection of our thoughts. His holistic approach is much needed as the mind and body work together in our daily endeavors. Medicine is supported through counseling and counseling through medicine. His use of both is supportive as well as deliberate. So be patient with yourself as he is infinitely patient with you and you will also see positive change. Sometimes success is not the destination - it is enduring the journey itself. Dr. Thorkelson thank you for your reliability,
Chris – May 03, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?
Don’t waste your time. They don’t offer therapy to treat your concerns. They just refer you to someone else. Their website is misleading, they’re very expensive and not worth the time or effort,
Apr 17, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?
Dr. Gregory Thorkelson is a consistent, professional, and personable doctor. He has a very diverse and thorough knowledge of treatments and prescription drugs that can help his patients. He is reasonable and considerate with patient input / outside recommendation, and safe with how he handles the drugs and dosages he prescribes. I appreciated his ability to follow up on previous appointments and option to meet via tele-psychiatry which gave both of us a greater conscience factor and available times to meet.
Ethan Shade – Feb 16, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?
I've been a patient of Dr. Thorkelson's for 6 months and have noticed improvements in my anxiety since starting treatment with him. However, in the last month I have noticed a significant improvement with the supplements he prescribed. In the last month of taking these, my sleep has improved, my anxiety is not as predominant, and overall I feel like my motivation is back. Medications definitely have helped me but I truly feel these supplements on top of the meds are why I am feeling as good as I do. I highly recommend Dr. Thorkelson and taking supplements as an additional therapy!
morgan mcwilliams – Jan 08, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?
I had really been struggling with depression and anxiety to the point where it impacted my every day life. Dr. Thorkelson worked with me tirelessly until we found a solution. We sorted through different medications until we landed on doing TMS. Initially I was nervous about this process, but Dr. Thorkelson and his staff walked me through the entirety of the treatment to the point where I trusted them completely. I went from being severely depressed and not hopefully about the treatment or my future, to being relieved of these symptoms and being optimistic of the future. Before this treatment I did not have the will to keep going forward. After completing the treatment, I have decided to go back to school and move to a new city with so much enthusiasm I did not have before. Without Dr. Thorkelson, his staff, and the TMS treatment, I do not think I would have made it through my depression. I will be forever grateful of them!
Jan 03, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?
Dr. Thorkelson is a fantastic doctor. I'm so grateful that he was recommended to me several years ago. What I liked most about his approach to medicine is the fact that he took a mind-body approach to treating my anxiety and depression and looked into my vitamin levels and other factors instead of just prescribing me a pill. Also, I could tell that he really cared about my well-being. I would recommend him to anyone who is dealing with anxiety and depression.
Sep 05, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?
After suffering from severe depression for years i finally decided to go to someone else besides my PCP. I found Dr.Thorkelson via online reviews. He talked with me and we did a full blood test and he pointed out to me that my Zinc levels were lower then he would recommend. He advised to to take Zinc even though I had taken a blood test before by my PCP and he didn’t say anything about zinc. Long story short this subtle change has changed my life. The zinc worked!! I feel unexplainably better. I feel back to normal! I honestly do. I’m so glad I finally accepted my situation and went to a specialist, and I’m very very grateful I found Dr.Thorkelson. His advice and guidance has changed my life.
Jun 08, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?
Just an amazing doctor. He listens to what you have to say. As well, he just gives good advice. Even if it was outside of the scope of what I was being treated for, Dr. Thorkelson always had a recommendation as to how I can deal with any problems that I may be facing
May 04, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?
Dr. Thorkelson is great at what he does. I didn't know what to expect the first time in a psychiatrist's office, but he is very welcoming and makes you feel very comfortable. I really appreciate him incorporating natural supplements in with prescription meds and finding the best combination to fit each person's needs. I would recommend him to anyone, just trust the process and he will have a huge impact on you.
none – Jan 21, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?
Dr. Thorkelson can empathsize with me as the parent as well as with my daughter who he treats for PANDAs. He is very bright and can apply his knowledge while communicating it to me in a means that is professional yet easy to understand. He is genuine and humane in his care.
Pittsburgh, PA – Dec 20, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Thorkelson?

Nexus Group|Dr. Thorkelson takes a whole-body approach to mental health treatment, combining conventional psychiatry and psychotherapy with mind-body...Read more

Dr. Thorkelson, MD is the founder and Medical Director of the Nexus Group. He is board certified in child, adolescent and adult psychiatry. He completed...Read more

• Child & Adolescent Psychiatry