Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD

Child & Adolescent PsychiatryMaleAge 45

Child & Adolescent Psychiatry

Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD is a Child & Adolescent Psychiatry Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA. He is affiliated with Conemaugh Memorial Medical Center - Main Campus. His office accepts new patients and telehealth appointments.

Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD

The Nexus Group PC

5725 Forward Ave Ste 401 Pittsburgh, PA 15217 ()
Telehealth services available

Telehealth available

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Child & Adolescent Psychiatry Specialists in your area

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Offers Telehealth
  • Recent Reviews
    Reviews made in the last 30 days. See reviews

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for Pennsylvania

Check Dr. Thorkelson's experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. Thorkelson's conditions and procedures:

• ADHD and-or ADD
  • Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
  • Cyclothymia (Chronic Mood Disorder)
  • Developmental and Learning Disorders
  • Dysthymia and Cyclothymia (Mood Disorders)
  • Impulse Control Disorders
  • Major Depressive Disorder
  • Medication Management
  • Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
  • Panic Disorder
  • Phobia
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
  • Psychosis Due to Mental Illness
  • Schizophreniform and Schizoaffective Disorder
  • Speech, Language and Learning Disorders
  • Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS)

Dr. Thorkelson accepts

Dr. Thorkelson accepts the following insurance:

Aetna EPO

4.4

83.58208955223881%

Dr. Thorkelson

Finally a solution
Hi - I have been trying to figure out my anxiety symptoms and my pcp thought that I might have adhd- but wasn’t sure. I was able to finally dx my adhd and get treatment that works
May 05, 2022
Very positive experience
My son had a great first visit with Michelle Marina, CRNP. He felt very comfortable with her. She has a friendly demeanor and seems very knowledgeable.
Mar 30, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?
Had a great and detailed conversation regarding my needs. Was able to answer all my questions regarding treatment and was very knowledgeable and open. I was not able to see Dr. Thorkelson himself but saw one of the PA who was very helpful and knowledgeable. I definitely recommend.
Mar 16, 2022
Excellent practice
Dr Thorkelson, Ryan Reagan and the entire team are the kindest, most professional and helpful physicians and therapists. The Pittsburgh community is very fortunate to have the Nexus Group
Mar 09, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?
I received TMS treatment at the Nexus Group and they were so great to work with. I was very nervous about the treatment and what to expect. They walked me through every step on the way and made it worth every bit. Julietta and Nick were so enjoyable to talk to during the treatments and answered any questions that I had. It was a very easy treatment and went by way faster that I thought.
Feb 15, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?
My provider is Nicole S. Very good service and provider, highly recommend.
Feb 01, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?
I've been a patient of Dr. Thorkelson for 3 years. He is the most skilled, knowledgeable, professional, compassionate, and sympathetic Psychiatrist I've ever encountered (and I've encountered many). He talks to you and not 'over' you. He personalizes treatments and is not afraid to also incorporate natural supplements in conjunction with pharmaceuticals if efficacy exists. He listens and works to make adjustments in medications and treatments that are not working or are causing negative side effects. His staff is warm and makes you feel like a friend and not just a patient. Recently I received TMS treatment for OCD at his office. The procedure was highly effective in decreasing my anxiety levels, making it easier to engage in my therapy. TMS is painless. All you feel is a slight tingle on your scalp where the electromagnetic current is directed. You are wide away and talking to the staff who are administering it. If I could give more than 5 stars I would.
Luke – Dec 30, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?
Dr. Thorkelson is great, however, it is not possible to see him. He has hired nurse practitioners who are nowhere near as skillful as he is, and those are the only providers you can schedule an appointment with. You are better off looking elsewhere. It is also important to note the practice only accepts very mildly ill patients who are basically functioning pretty well and rejects all others.
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
Dec 13, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?
Practitioners are fine, but office staff make it plain that this place is 110% all about separating you from your money. Called to cancel an appt and they never told my practitioner, then informed me I'll need to pay 220$ out of pocket to continue care. Punative and disorganized...there are better options in Pittsburgh.
KZ – Nov 23, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?
Dr Thorkelson and the whole team at The Nexus Group have been incredibly helpful. I did TMS with them and saw a huge improvement in my depression symptoms. It has truly been life changing for me. I would (and do) recommend this group to anyone I know who is struggling with mental illnesses. Dr Thorkelson is well versed in the latest treatments available and the other members of the staff were helpful and kind every step of the way. 5 out of 5 would recommend.
Jess S – Nov 16, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?
Doctor Thorkelson brought me back from the precipice, he will find a way to make a difference to your life. He did mine. My story below in summary. He designed a pathway for my wellness and healing to occur. Find your happiness again see Dr. Thorkelson. 4 am unable to sleep my body had literally trembled for the past hour with the sheer fright that dawn was approaching. My mind was being excessively cruel, racing challenging any peaceful thoughts. Sweat droplets trickled down the back of my neck, one more futile look at hostile father time and the push to get out of bed. The coffee pot your friend in good times lies dormant on the counter. Anxiety filled nights compounded with utter sleep deprivation haunted my movements to the bathroom. I move toward the couch a supposed friend hoping to be cocooned like a moth, I dim the lights, my breathing is discombobulated.
Jun 20, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?
This group has helped me be balanced in my body while treating breast cancer during the pandemic - with me already having PTSD I feel like I have an ally with Rachel
katherine zitterbart – May 20, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?
I appreciate Dr. Thorkelson's holistic approach. Instead of just writing a script or increasing dosage, he listens and asks questions, and will recommend supplements, meditation, and other lifestyle changes that work in tandem with medication. He worked with me for several months until we found the right approach to my concerns.
Apr 19, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?
We called to get a much-needed appointment for our child, and we filled out the online intake forms. The office did not respond for weeks. When we called back, they promised to get back to us that day. Several days later we received a bizarre letter saying our daughter could not be seen there and that we should not call them to ask why. A doctor who allows this level of incompetence in the front office is probably not good value.
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Staff wasn't friendly
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Apr 06, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?
Not too long ago, I was dealing with a bunch of physical symptoms, including GI symptoms, accompanied by high levels of anxiety over dealing with those symptoms. I saw many doctors without much success. Eventually, my journey led me to seek out medical assistance from a Mental Health perspective. I chose The Nexus Group, based on their reputation for “not just being pill-pushers” and taking a multi-faceted and analytical approach to treating your ailments. The Nexus Group has lived up to that reputation. Everyone at The Nexus Group is fantastic. Even the people on the administrative side are great and very pleasant. However, I’d like to give a big shout-out to Rachel Kosciusko, one of the Physician Assistants. I’ve been seeing her regularly from the beginning. She’s everything that The Nexus Group strives to be. She’s knowledgeable, professional, patient, and very kind. And, she’s been a tremendous catalyst in improving my overall health and sense of wellbeing.
An Engineer – Mar 31, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?
In my journey to being healthy, Rachel has helped me take the first and most difficult steps. Her medical expertise, support, and kindness have helped me to help myself to get to better mental health.
Sarah A Mueller – Mar 16, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?
I was referred to the Nexus Group by my therapist. Dr. Thorkelson helped me realize that I had been living with undiagnosed ADHD, high social anxiety and multiple traumas. He is a prolific psychiatrist who addresses physical/nutritional as well as psychological problems throughout the course of treatment and spends time knowing the patient before prescribing meds. He walked me through every stage of treatment, dosage and possible side effects. I am in my late-thirties, so diagnosis isn't easy because I've learned how to mask my problems. Having lived with all these issues with no help, I highly appreciate the significant improvement in my life and my psychological health. The Nexus group are a great team. I highly recommend them.
Feb 27, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?
Dr. Thorkelson and the Nexus Group team are the best mental health providers out there. With extreme anxiety and past traumas, I was always depressed, felt invalid and disabled. I had been seeking help from many mental health providers before I came to Nexus Group. After a very thorough evaluation, I was given a solid treatment plan with monthly appointments. I now feel so much more energetic, confident, and loving life. Everyone at the Nexus office is so kind and caring as well. I highly recommend the group to anyone who seeks mental health care.
Natalie – Feb 21, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?
I am in my late twenties and developed depression as a young child. I have other comorbid mental health conditions, including anxiety, to the point where I cannot drive — this meant walking several miles to- and from my TMS appointments every day for nine weeks, which I would absolutely do again, in a heartbeat. TMS has completely changed my life. The depression has lifted and my other mental health problems are easier to treat and handle now. I find more joy in my day-to-day, and the days that aren't so joyful aren't as devastating as they once were. I used to be a very angry person, and I can't get upset the way I did before, which is amazing. My only suggestion would be for some of the staff, and for Dr. Thorkelson in particular, to educate themselves a bit and become a more trauma-informed practice. Otherwise, they were all excellent. They were very flexible in their scheduling so I never had to miss work. Both TMS techs I worked with were very kind and compassionate as well.
R. – Jan 27, 2021
Pain/stress disorder
  • Long wait times
Jan 27, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Thorkelson?