Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD

40 Reviews
Dr. Thorkelson

The Nexus Group PC

5725 Forward Ave Ste 401 Pittsburgh, PA 15217

Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD is a child & adolescent psychiatry specialist in Pittsburgh, PA. He specializes in child & adolescent psychiatry.

• Good patient care Patients said they had exceptional care at this hospital. See hospitals
  • Trustworthy Patients said this doctor is trustworthy. See reviews

Dr. Thorkelson accepts

Dr. Thorkelson accepts the following insurance:

Select
Amerihealth
Personal Choice PPO
Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for Pennsylvania

Check Dr. Thorkelson's experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. Thorkelson treats this condition more than 38% of his peers

Dr. Thorkelson's conditions and procedures:

• ADHD and-or ADD
  • Adjustment Disorder
  • Alcoholism (Alcohol Dependence)
  • Antisocial Personality Disorder
  • Nondependent Drug and Alcohol Abuse
  • Nondependent Marijuana Abuse
  • Nondependent Opioid Abuse
  • Nondependent Sedative, Hypnotic, or Anxiolytic Abuse
  • Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
  • Opioid Dependence
  • Personality Disorders
  • Phobia
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
  • Psychiatric Diseases
  • Schizophreniform and Schizoaffective Disorder
  • Suicidal Ideation
  • Tobacco Use Disorder

Dr. Thorkelson's Reviews

Did you have an appointment with Dr. Thorkelson?

Enter the Bills 4 Bills sweepstakes by leaving a review today

Terms and conditions

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Thorkelson

4.5

Dr. Thorkelson?
Dr. Thorkelson's Performance
What People Say About Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD
Dr. Thorkelson is a fantastic doctor. I'm so grateful that he was recommended to me several years ago. What I liked most about his approach to medicine is the fact that he took a mind-body approach to treating my anxiety and depression and looked into my vitamin levels and other factors instead of just prescribing me a pill. Also, I could tell that he really cared about my well-being. I would recommend him to anyone who is dealing with anxiety and depression.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?
After suffering from severe depression for years i finally decided to go to someone else besides my PCP. I found Dr.Thorkelson via online reviews. He talked with me and we did a full blood test and he pointed out to me that my Zinc levels were lower then he would recommend. He advised to to take Zinc even though I had taken a blood test before by my PCP and he didn’t say anything about zinc. Long story short this subtle change has changed my life. The zinc worked!! I feel unexplainably better. I feel back to normal! I honestly do. I’m so glad I finally accepted my situation and went to a specialist, and I’m very very grateful I found Dr.Thorkelson. His advice and guidance has changed my life.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?
Just an amazing doctor. He listens to what you have to say. As well, he just gives good advice. Even if it was outside of the scope of what I was being treated for, Dr. Thorkelson always had a recommendation as to how I can deal with any problems that I may be facing
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?
Dr. Thorkelson is great at what he does. I didn't know what to expect the first time in a psychiatrist's office, but he is very welcoming and makes you feel very comfortable. I really appreciate him incorporating natural supplements in with prescription meds and finding the best combination to fit each person's needs. I would recommend him to anyone, just trust the process and he will have a huge impact on you.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?
Dr. Thorkelson can empathsize with me as the parent as well as with my daughter who he treats for PANDAs. He is very bright and can apply his knowledge while communicating it to me in a means that is professional yet easy to understand. He is genuine and humane in his care.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?
I am incredibly grateful for Dr. Thorkelson. He was the first doctor who believed me when I told him how I was feeling and who I feel like really listened to me. He sent me for a full blood workup to check my hormone levels instead of just putting me on a new antidepressant and telling me to wait it out. He suggested supplements that I could buy to ease my symptoms and seemed genuinely curious about what might be wrong with me and empathetic about how miserable I was. I highly recommend.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?
My son has a variety of special needs — most notably an anxiety disorder that puts him into “fight” mode over what can sometimes seem like nothing. We’ve taken him to neuropsychologists, developmental pediatricians, and have done PCIT and wraparound, as well as outpatient speech, PT and OT. Dr. T is the only doctor we’ve seen over 6 years that has helped my son’s condition/behaviors improve. He asks questions, he listens (!) and looks at problems holistically (medicine, gut health, etc.).
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?
I am incredibly grateful to Dr. Thorkelson for helping me to address issues I've needlessly struggled with for years. I decided to make an appointment after reaching a breaking point regarding my work / life balance, and found much comfort and validation after just our first meeting. Now several months into treatment for Adult ADD, I am in a markedly more stable, competent place. Dr. Thorkelson is kind, thorough, and compassionate in his care. I only wish I'd sought his assistance sooner.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?
Dr. Thorkelson is truly a life saver. I suffered from anxiety, depression, and so much more and he really invested his time and expertise in me. In the few months that I have seen him, he was suggested not only medication but vitamins and natural supplements to help my conditions. It has been transforming and I put all my trust in him to eliminate the issues that I have suffered from.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?
I highly recommend Dr. Thorkelson to anyone that struggles with ADHD, social anxiety or other traumas. In the 6 month period that I have been seeing him my life has improved dramatically through diet, exercise, talk therapy and EDMR treatments.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gregory Thorkelson, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Thorkelson?

• Child & Adolescent Psychiatry

Check the quality of care at hospitals where Dr. Thorkelson treats patients.

68% Patient experience rating, 1% lower than the national average