Dr. Gregg Carr, MD

Dr. Gregg Carr, MD

Orthopedic Surgery  |

Dr. Gregg Carr, MD is an orthopedic surgery doctor who practices in Birmingham, AL. He is 55 years old and has been practicing for 23 years. Read his story

Southern Orthopaedic Specialists, P.C.

516 Brookwood Blvd

Birmingham, AL 35209

Learn about Dr. Carr

See how frequently Dr. Carr performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome or Knee Pain
Knee Disorders
Joint Pain

Dr. Carr's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Carr's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Carr "Gregg K. Carr is a Orthopedic Surgeon - General practicing in Birmingham, AL. Started practicing 2001. PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATION American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons American Medical Association American Sports Medicine Fellowship Society American Academy of Sports Medicine AWARDS AND ACCOLADES NCAA Silver Anniversary Award SEC's 2010 Football Legends Alabama Sports Hall of Fame FORMS OF PAYMENT We accept cash, checks, MasterCard, American Express, Discover and Visa for your convenience. INSURANCES ACCEPTED We accept most major insurance plans; however, we ask that you HOURS Monday to Thursday: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM Friday: 8:00 AM – 12:00 PM "

This content was provided by Dr. Carr "At Southern Orthopaedic Specialists we pledge to provide the highest quality of orthopaedic care possible. We are committed to excellence in the treatment of acute and chronic problems and to preventing future difficulties as much as possible."

• Orthopaedic Sports Medicine

• Coccyx or Sacrum Fracture
  • Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • De Quervain's Disease
  • Elbow Bursitis
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Femur Fracture
  • Internal Derangement of Knee
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Fracture
  • Knee Sprain
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture

• Shoulder Replacement
  • Shoulder Surgery
  • Total Hip Replacement
  • Total Knee Replacement

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Alabama.

• Auburn University, Auburn, Al-B.S.,
    Undergraduate School | Graduated
  • University Of Alabama School Of Medicine, Birmingham, Al-M.D.
    Medical School | Graduated 1994
  • Orthopaedic Surgery-Greenville Hospital System, Greenville, Sc,
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2000
  • Sports Medicine-Alabama Sports Medicine Institute, Birmingham, Al,
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2001

Dr. Carr has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Carr does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Carr and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Carr's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Carr to family and friends
Dr. Carr's Performance
I have had complete knee replacement and rotator cuff surgeries and they were completely successful. Dr. Carr and his staff took care of my every need with caring professionalism. I would not consider anyone else for my surgeries. The best.
The whole process was seamless. Response was quick from office visit, to MRI, to surgery. My arm appliance was effective in the healing process.
Great experience and very successful. I would highly recommend to friends and family.
I was diagnosed with arthritis in both hip joints which caused tremendous pain and diminished quality of life. Dr. Carr recommended total hip replacement for both hips. After surgery, I experienced immediate pain relief. After physical therapy and healing, my quality of life improved greatly. I was able to do things again that I thought I would never be able to do any longer. My sleep improved, my strength improved, and my stamina improved. I literally felt like a new person.
I have been enjoying a total right hip replacement for 2 years. I was in so much pain, taking strong meds but reluctant to have surgery. After talking with Dr. Carr, I agreed it was time. It was the best decision I could have made. There were no problems. I did not even have to take anything for the pain.. a great experience.. Words cannot express the gratitude & appreciation I feel for all of you & the entire team. I was 76 at the time of my surgery and I "sing your prai...
I always knew what to expect, always well informed and made to feel confident of the outcome. I cannot describe how much better life is without knee pain. everyone is always kind and helpful. I would tell anyone this the best place you could possibly go.
I had a good experience as Dr, Carr"s patient and think he is a very educated doctor and his staff is so sweet.
Was referred to Dr. Carr by a friend after being misdiagnosed by my primary care doctor twice. Was given shot treatment twice and then suggested surgery. Currently doing great and healing well.
When I visit Dr. Carr's office I never feel like I am a number. Everyone is very friendly & know my name .
Y'all's staff is the best and I will never go anywhere else.
This was the second time I had used Dr. Carr for removal of spurs on a shoulder. The first time was my right shoulder and this last time it was my left. There was a 17 year time span between between my surgery's. Both times I received excellent care. Was told everything to expect and how it would not be that bad, which it wasn't at all. Would advise anyone who is suffering from shoulder pain from spurs, do the right thing and get them removed. You will be so thankful for the instant relief.
My wrist had been locked and braced up for 4 months due to tendonitis. I found Dr. Carr and he knew i was in pain and needed the tendon released surgically, after 2 cortisone injections, surgery was scheduled, after almost 5 months and 2 1\2 wks post op, my wrist is well on its ways to recovery. I would definitely reccommend Dr. Carr for any procedure. Dr.Carr and his entire staff are the friendliest, kind hearted, and caring of any physicians office i've ever experienced.
I came to Dr. Carr with a problem with my finger and I trusted him to diagnose, operate, and follow up with me. He did an excellent job and explained everything thoroughly to me. I will be returning with any issues. I am very thankful for Dr. Carr.
Spot on during the whole experience with my surgery and follow up.
Service was great could not ask for anything better.
I had to have two surgeries but we finally got my knee fixed up and I'm back on track exercising and doing the things I love. Dr Carr has a great bedside manner and really explains all procedures and findings in detail. Had a great experience !
Came to Dr. Carr with shoulder pain and was diagnosed with a possible tear in my cv joint. After other options were explored, he recommended surgery. 6 weeks later I am 90% better and returning full time work status. I would highly recommend Dr. Carr and his staff to anyone who needs to see an orthopedic doctor.
I had numbness, tingling, and pain in my right wrist i went to see Dr.Carr and had Carpel Tunnel surgery and after 2 weeks all of the numbness, tingling, and pain went away I would recomend this surgery and Dr.Carr to anyone.
Shoulder and knee pain began to appear as my age progressed. I tolerated left shoulder pain for a long period until it was unbearable. After undergoing the procedure to correct the situation, I was sort of angry with myself, as the corrective procedure caused less discomfort than I had been tolerating. I lost a lot of nights of sleep, and days of misery, on a situation which could have been treated earlier. I have also received treatments for pain in my knees, and gotten positive results.
This was my first experience ever with any type of fracture/broken bone. I didn't know what to expect but the experience with Dr. Carr and his staff was outstanding! The explanation from Dr. Carr from the first appointment and the two post-op appointments was very easy to understand. And, the staff was very helpful and friendly.
My hand was killing me felt like someone hit me with hammer. I could not do anything with it. Dr. Carr tried to help with injections but it just would not cooperate. Decided to have the tendon surgery and in fourteen days later bandage came off and it felt wonderful. I was able to move it and start to do my regular stuff.
I was dreading a torn bicep surgery. Dr Carr and his staff made me feel welcome and at home. The surgery went great. It is the sixth week and have full mobility.
No problems and anytime I asked a question if was explained clearly and I understood it all.
Extremely positive results. Very glad I made the decision I made.
Dr. Carr performed surgery on my left knee for a meniscus tear. The pain I had been feeling for six weeks is gone. I wish I had gone in sooner! Thank you Dr. Carr and your wonderful staff for the excellent care I received. Kathy Tidwell
i was in pain for the last eight years happy that i had the surgery thanks dr carr
When I hurt my knee it was so severe I could barely walk. When I came to Dr. Carr he did a knee scope and explained in detail what was going on and what he was going to do. Two weeks later when I came to get my stitches out I was still experiencing pain. I took COSAMIN that Dr. Carr suggested and immediately felt relief.
I have been having knee pain for a long time. I am happy I made the decision to have my knee fixed. I am very pleased with the service I got.
great experience from first visit to release visit.
Best decision I ever made. Can't tell I even had Total Knee. 4 years ago, 2013.
I, and my family love Dr. Carr and his staff. They are always so nice , very attentive to our concerns and listen so our needs. Dr Carr always takes plenty of time with us and explains, in great detail what he is doing and what is going on with our situation. He is always willing to spend time with us. He has never rushed in and out of the room. He makes us feel like he really cares about us as more than just patients. Couldn't be more satisfied with the treatment a...
Before I came to Dr. Gregg Carr office I was having bad neck pains and headaches. We thought it was a neck problem or nerve problem so he wanted an MRI to be sure. The MRI came back negative so I came back to see what he thought was wrong. Dr. Carr did some exercises with my wrist and checked movement and He came up with carpal tunnel. I have heard negative things about having this surgery. I had the surgery and all the pains are gone and it was fast and easy!
Dr.Carr is a very special man very caring and kind Wonderful experience
I have been a patient of Dr. Carr for more than 15 years he 's on the money each time. I have had two surgery on right knee and 1 on left knee. I also had had other issues that he was correct on point. I enjoy coming here and loves the staff.
in Birmingham, AL |
Dr. Carr is the precise definition of a professional. HE goes to extra efforts to make sure the patient understands what is wrong and how to fix the problem. I have 100% confidence is e wry word he says. I never feel as if he is rushing time with me.
I had absolutely no problem. It has been five years, and I have no complaints.
Knee surgery
Had severe left knee pain. Dr Carr diagnosed and suggested surgery. Had surgery and noticed immediate relief. Follow up visits are painless and quick. Would recommend to anyone
Dr. Carr is a great Doctor. I have been seeing him for a long time for many different things. He is always the same . He he makes you feel confident with what needs to be done. He has a great staff , all are caring people. I and my husband have been seeing him for about 10 years, and have sent many friends to him, as well; we have all had great results!
I have been having lower back and neck problems for years from being a dancer and swimmer. I can always count on Dr. Carr and his staff to help me through flair ups and prescribe the accurate medication and exercise to keep my pain at bay. They are detailed, polite and professional and understand the needs of my aging body and the stress I have put on it over the years.
I had a torn meniscus and cyst. Dr. Carr and his staff were great in repairing my knee and through my recovery.
Dr. Carr has been great. Had both surgeries on both shoulders and have not had any issues with either surgery. One was a major rotator cuff surgery. 8 to 9 months is the usual recovery time but I was hitting softballs in 5 months. Thanks Dr. Carr!
Dr. Greg Carr did a shoulder surgery on my husband and I thought it was very nice that he checked on his the night after his procedure. I broke my ankle and had to have a screw inserted. Dr. Carr and his staff always explained everything to me. Very good experience.
Dr. Carr and his staff were amazing!!! They were all pleasant, caring, and professional. He took time to explain everything to me and the surgery went off without any problems. Dr. Carr and all of his staff are wonderful and I would highly recommend them to anyone!!!!
Doctor Carr and his staff"s services were amazing. They respected my concerns. I feel very secure in their abilities.
Had left knee replaced . Wish I had done this 10 years ago. I now have my life back so I can play with grandchildren and sports. Dr Carr and staff made me feel as though I was there family. I would recommend Dr carr and there team for any knee pain or replacement. I am so thrilled that I am able to do things I haven't done I years.
my experience with dr. carr and his staff was very informative and he listens well to you and explains every thing he does.
Dr Carr made this "journey" easier than I assume it could have been. Everyone in his office have treated me great through out. THANK YOU !!!
I recently had my 2nd experience with Dr Carr (1st in 2012), and once again was very impressed with him and his entire team.
Tuscaloosa, AL |
If you are Workmans Comp you will be treated like crap. I've never had a doctor talk to me the way he did.
Have you seen Dr. Gregg Carr, MD?

Visit Dr. Carr