Dr. Glen Shapiro, MD

Orthopedic Surgery | Male

Dr. Glen Shapiro, MD
For more than 23 years Glen Shapiro MD FAAOS has offered quality Orthopedics and Sports Medicine care to patients of all ages. Before opening up his first practice in North Conway NH, the second oldest ski town in America, Dr. Shapiro completed training at premier institutions located in New York, California and Switzerland. Dr. Shapiro's studies also took him to India where he was awarded an International Health Fellowship as part of his medical training.Dr. Shapiro currently lectures at the local, state, regional and national levels on topics including Osteoarthritis, Fracture Care, Rotator Cuff Disease, Joint Replacement as well as Knee Injuries and the ACL. His special interest is in Winter Sports Injuries such as Ski and Snowboard Injury Prevention as well as Complimentary Alternative Medicine (CAM). In addition Dr. Shapiro is active in all aspects of community life and actively volunteers in his community. He volunteers for the Wood River Land & Trust, Trout Unlimited and is currently Co-President of the Flourish Foundation, a hometown 501c3 non-profit that teaches mindfulness to students throughout the Wood River Valley.Dr. Shapiro relocated from New Hampshire to beautiful Hailey ID with his family in 2004. Dr. Shapiro is an avid fly fisherman as well as a professional photographer and amateur astronomer. When not practicing medicine, he enjoys spending time with his family and Labrador Sage. His other interests include cooking, skiing, hunting, mountain biking and golfing as well as exploring all that Idaho has to offer. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons – Glen D. Shapiro, MD FAAOS Medical Degree Albert Einstein College of Medicine – New York, NY General Surgery Internship Montefiore Medical Center – Bronx, NY Orthopedic Surgery Residency Montefiore Medical Center – Bronx, NY Fellowship AO Swiss Fellowship – Chur, Switzerland Tahoe Sports Medicine & Fracture Clinic – S. Lake Tahoe, CA Memberships Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS), Recertified July 2009 Wood River Medical Society (WRMS), President Idaho Medical Association (IMA) Idaho Orthopedic Association (IOA) Western Orthopedic Association (WOA) North Pacific Orthopedic Association (NPOS) Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA) Hospital Affiliations St. Luke's Wood River Medical Center – Ketchum, ID St. Luke's Jerome Medical Center – Jerome, ID

Dr. Shapiro's Care Philosophy

Compassionate healthcare in a state-of-the-art warm and reassuring setting.

Dr. Shapiro's Experience

See how Dr. Shapiro's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Shapiro

Dr. Shapiro accepts 14 insurance carriers

Dr. Shapiro is now accepting new patients
Hailey Orthopedics and Sports Medicine513 N Main St
Hailey, ID 83333
(877) 754-6330Get Directions

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Shapiro has admitting privileges.

Dr. Shapiro's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Shapiro to family and friends
Dr. Shapiro Says:

A patient's recommendation to a family member or friend is the highest possible compliment.

Thank you for your recommendations & for trusting your health and the health of your family or friends to me in my practice.

...

Dr. Shapiro's Performance
Nampa, ID |
Dr. Shapiro took time to tell me about all of my options. I truly appreciated the fact that he answered my questions in a way that I could understand.
in avila beach, ca |
I broke my arm in February in Hailey, Idaho. It required plates and screws. This was the first broken bone I have ever experienced. My son took me to Dr. Shapiro's office, where he took xrays and determined the course of surgery with precision and care. The following morning he did surgery. The staff was kind, concerned and xrays were taken to verify bone healing. He always showed the utmost of concern and his caring showed in each of my appointments. It was a total success!!!
Hailey, ID |
Dr. Shapiro and Vicki have helped me above and beyond through my injury. My situation being a workers comp. case, they filed all of the assessments, paperwork and billings for me. This kind of help during a stressful and painful time is priceless. Although I do not need surgery, they continue to advocate for me and make sure I am getting therapies I need.
in West Magic Id |
I appreciate you, Dr., and your office staff. I feel your concern and I feel like you care for me and my med. problem. I ACTUALLY FEEL LOVED. It doesn't get any better than that!
in Carey, Idaho |
I do not have enough positive to say about Dr. Shapiro. My surgery, care and aftercare met the highest standards, my recovery time was amazing to me, and a year later, I am able to do everything with my right shoulder as I am my left. I had put off having this surgery done because of the fear I had and nightmares I had heard about, but I will assure anyone, had I known the outcome, I would have done it much sooner. I will undoubtedly use Dr. Shapiro for any future orthopedic procedures.
in Twin Falls |
Dr. Shapiro did a very thorough exam and was able to isolate the problem. He also explained his findings clearly and went over a treatment plan.
in Ketchum, ID |
From the moment you walk in the door you are greeted with friendly, knowledgeable staff, who make you feel comfortable, and important. Dr. Shapiro, is extremely well knowledged and open to all questions or concerns; and always answers them in clear, understandable terms. He truly focuses on you; and never makes you feel like he needs to rush to the next patient (very rare these days). I always leave his office feeling like I am already healing from his procedures.
in Meridian, ID |
my name is Jay Guffy, I have been to Dr.Shaprio, and have been very please with his services .. he is very helpful. and would tell my friends and family to see him. if they need his services. Thank you Dr Shapiro. sincerely Jay Guffy
Sun Valley, ID |
Absolutely recommend.
Idaho |
Good first visit with Dr. Shapiro today. Everything was conducted in a good manner and appreciated his thoroughness. Wish he would have spent a little more time with me.
in Bellevue, ID |
I feel very lucky to have been recommended to Dr. Shapiro from the ER Doc after injury. Not only very skillful/ thorough, but quite fun to chat with about : injury lifestyle and prognosis at follow up. Of course I would highly recommend! Thanks Glen.
in Boise, ID |
Dr Shapiro, is an outstanding physician. My family and I have seen Dr Shapiro from everything from back pain to a broken ankle. He is knowledgeable, informative, and kind. He takes time to explain everything and answer all your questions. He does not talk over kids to a parent, he speaks to them as well as the parent to ensure they understand their care and why this treatment is appropriate for the injury. My family would not think of using anyone but Dr Shapiro for orthopedic needs.
Boise, ID |
Dr. Shapiro is a Dr. with a heart< and always take's the time for his patient's. I have been a patient of Dr. Shapiro for several year's, and trust him with all my heart. Not always telling you what you want to hear, but what it is. And always give's you the best advise for your condition.
Hailey, ID |
Dr. Glen explains the issue and solution in plain English so it is easy to understand. My experience with both the prognosis and solution has been excellent.
in Ketchum, ID |
Dr. Shapiro was very kind, thorough and friendly. He was responsive in a timely fashion and came in to the office on his time off to see me. He was concerned and caring.
in Hailey, ID |
Dr. Shapiro and his amazing staff are diligent, thorough, prompt, intuitive and very personable. Everyone in his staff, including Dr. Shapiro himself, of course, far exceeded my expectations during my visit. The nurse noticed that my blood pressure was high and immediately contacted my personal care physician to dialogue and follow-up about her findings. This is Healthcare WORKING! Great job all around!! Cannot recommend enough Dr. Shapiro and his staff. A+ !!
in Twin Falls |
Very knowledgeable and friendly. I had a great experience.
in Twin Falls, ID |
We often joke in our family that most people have a family physician. We have a family orthopedist. Whenever we have needed his services, he is always professional, caring and conservative in his care. He listens to his patients and does not perform unnecessary surgery. He always takes the time to listen. I recently had my knee replaced. His wife, Vicki coordinated everything. I know I can reach them by phone, text or e-mail. I always get a quick response and quality care.
in Sun Valley, ID |
i have worked with a lot of providers Dr. Shapiro has a great bedside manner he has a great sense of humor and he tells you how it is anyone looking for a orthopedic specialist should contact his office first.
in Sun Valley, ID |
Knowledgeable, accessible, and has great bed side manor in that he listens and explains in plane english.
in Hailey, Idaho |
He was upfront about my situation, Told me exactly what he would do and what I could expect. I had my left shoulder repaired about 9 years ago and I feel I am farther ahead with my right shoulder, which Dr Shapiro did.
in Ketchum, ID |
Dr. Shapiro saw my son for an injury he suffered from falling down on the ice. He was extremely kind and intelligent. He did the x-rays right in his office which saved us a bundle! In and out with x-rays, diagnosis and a splint was at most 35 minutes. Best experience with a physician caring for a physical injury we've ever encountered. Office very clean, staff very kind and accommodating. Basically A+ all around.
in twin falls |
He is caring and keeps track of you. He does a good job and follow up.
in Bellevue Idaho |
Outstanding care and treatment
Hailey, ID |
This office is small, so friendly, and down to earth, with not a lot of extraneous furnishings for "show". All the work, xrays, reading them, shots, etc. are done in house, which I really like! The Dr. explains things so thoroughly, reviews all the options, and listens to all questions easily. You don't feel stupid asking them, either. He spent a lot of time with me compared to other doctors I have been with. I didn't feel rushed. Already I feel confident in the course of action suggested.
in Hailey Idaho |
excellent communication between Dr. and patient. Fully understood the problem.
in Shoshone, ID |
Dr. Shapiro listened to my concerns and answered my questions. I am very impressed that I am called by name upon entering the door. Everyone in the office made me feel important and that they appreciated me and that I was important.
in Wendell,ID. |
Was kind and understand I needed to be send by a professional. They took me in right a way and the receptionist was very knowledgeable and caring. The exam was right to the point and I would recommend him to anyone. One the the Best in his field. Thank you so much. Made me fell like a family member with a Hugh heart.
in Hailey, ID |
Dr Shapiro is a nice guy who always explains the details of your circumstance in a very understandable manner. He is also generally right about his diagnosis and course of treatment. His office and staff are particularly patient friendly. I have already recommended him on many occasions and will continue to do so
in Hailey, ID |
From the beginning I had the feeling he put what he felt was the best treatment for my injury ahead of how much money he could make. He listens to my input and our communication is excellent. I feel fortunate to have him for my Dr.
in Sun Valley, Idaho |
I found Dr. Shapiro very competent and caring and also concerned about minimizing costs to the extent consistent with good care.
in Hailey, ID |
Could not have asked for a better Doc for my care.
in Heber City |
Professional, caring, will go out of his way to be sure you are satisfied and healthy. Will answer all your questions so you understand everything about your healthy and can make informed decisions. One of the best.
in Hailey, ID |
very helpful, to the point, and friendly
in Gooding, ID |
Shapiro becomes friends with you and your family. He will remember your name and history so you do not feel like just another patient! Very friendly always has a smile on his face!
Hailey, ID |
this was my first visit, My wife has been a patient of Dr for several years.I also sas pleased with the whole experience. IOnvormation was sent to the University of Utah promptly.
in Richland,WA / Ketchum, ID |
I had one of the best experiences ever with Dr. Shapiro. I was able to get an appointment the next day. He is very personable and not at all aloof. Best bedside manner ever. He listens very closely and explained the diagnosis of my rotator cuff damage very well. He spent as much time with me as l needed. I highly recommend him.
in Hailey, IDFrankenmuth, MI |
Dr. Shapiro made time to see me on a Saturday, x-rayed my foot, diagnosed the injury, and prescribed treatment and medication for the condition. He relieved my anxiety about my injury. It was a very positive experience.
in Hailey, ID |
Great doctor talks to you not at you, explains the issue in words you understand, very patient
Have you seen Dr. Glen Shapiro, MD?
Are you Dr. Shapiro?

Fellowship

• AO Swiss Fellowship – Chur, Switzerland
  • Tahoe Sports Medicine & Fracture Clinic – S. Lake Tahoe, CA

Memberships

• Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS), Recertified July 2009
  • Wood River Medical Society (WRMS), President
  • Idaho Medical Association (IMA)
  • Idaho Orthopedic Association (IOA)
  • Western Orthopedic Association (WOA)
  • North Pacific Orthopedic Association (NPOS)
  • Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA)

Hospital Affiliations

• St. Luke's Wood River Medical Center – Ketchum, ID
  • St. Luke's Jerome Medical Center – Jerome, ID

Dr. Shapiro's Care Philosophy

Compassionate healthcare in a state-of-the-art warm and reassuring setting.

Dr. Shapiro says...

Dr. Shapiro is a Sports Medicine trained Orthopedic Surgeon who treats all types of Orthopedic injuries and Fractures. His specialty training was in Knee and Shoulder Arthroscopic reconstructions and Fracture care, but he also treats hand, elbow, ankle and foot injuries.  He trained in Knee and Shoulder Joint replacements, Arthroscopic Carpal tunnel releases and is a pioneer in the use of Biologic treatments such as Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) and Mi-Medex stem cell recruiting biologic injections.

Dr. Shapiro is now doing in office Diagnostic Arthroscopy with the recently approved Trice Medical Mi-eye2 system. This allows for the immediate diagnosis of shoulder and knee injuries without the expense and delay of MRI.

Knee and Shoulder Replacements

Knee and Shoulder Arthroscopic Reconstructions including Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) reconstruction, Meniscal repair or Meniscectomy, Rotator cuff and Labral repairs and reconstructions.

Carpal Tunnel Endoscopic release

Cubital tunnel release

Fracture care of all types

Dr. Shapiro says...

Everyone in our Hailey office strives to provide YOU with the BEST possible orhtopedic & Sports Medicine Care available. State of the art Orthopedic surgery and Sports Medicine served with Compassion.

Spread Compassion daily!

Glen D Shapiro, MD FAAOS

Skimd123.com

(877) Ski-MD30

Dr. Shapiro's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

• NPOS - Active MEmber, 2008-prese
    • Idaho Orthopedic Society (IOS), 2005 - Pre
    • Wood River Medical Society - President, 2009-2011
    • Western Orthopedic Asociation (WOA), 2007 - Pre

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Idaho.

Why It Matters: Dr. Shapiro's Board Certifications

• Ankle Fracture
  • Ankle Injury
  • Ankle Sprain and Achilles Tendon Sprain or Rupture
  • Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) or Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL) Tear
  • Baker’s Cyst
  • Broken Arm
  • Carpal Fractures
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Foot Fracture
  • Hip Sprain
  • Internal Derangement of Knee
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Sprain
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture

Tahoe Fracture Clin

Completed in 1994

Brandeis U

Graduated in 1984

Dr. Shapiro does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Shapiro and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Adult Orthopedic Surgery

• Elbow Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
  • Endoscopic Wrist Surgery
  • Foot and Ankle Fracture Treatment, Open
  • Foot and Ankle Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
  • Fracture Open Reduction and Internal Fixation (ORIF)
  • Fracture and-or Dislocation Treatment
  • Knee and Lower Leg Fracture Treatment, Open
  • Midfoot Fracture and-or Dislocation Surgery
  • Open Reduction Internal Fixation (ORIF) of Hip Fracture
  • Partial Knee Resurfacing
  • Platelet-Rich Plasma Injection (PRP)
  • Reverse Total Shoulder and Total Shoulder Replacement