Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD

NeurosurgeryMaleAge 46

Dr. Zavala

Neurosurgery & Spine Consultants

4611 Centerview San Antonio, TX 78228

Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD is a Neurosurgery Specialist in San Antonio, TX and has over 21 years of experience in the medical field. Dr. Zavala has more experience with Spine Disorders & Surgical Procedures than other specialists in his area. He graduated from University of Texas Medical School At San Antonio medical school in 2000. He is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Zavala to book an appointment.

Compare Providers

Quickly compare more Neurosurgery Specialists in your area

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Recent Reviews
    Reviews made in the last 30 days. See reviews
  • Trustworthy
    Patients said this doctor is trustworthy. See reviews

No malpractice claims found for Texas

Frequently Treated by Dr. Zavala

Based on treatment records, we have identified the following as areas of care that Dr. Zavala treats more often than their peers. If you are unsure whether Dr. Zavala treats other conditions, please contact the office at (210) 255-8935.

Spine Disorders & Surgical Procedures

Spine specialists diagnose and treat conditions affecting the bones of the spine, including degenerative spine disease, herniated discs, stenosis, and fractured vertebrae, with treatments including medication, physical therapy, and surgery.Compare with other Spine Disorders & Surgical Procedures specialists.

Dr. Zavala treats at a

frequency compared to similar providers

Based on claims data for 57 conditions and procedures

Treatments
Herniated Disc
Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement)
Low Back Pain

Dr. Zavala's conditions and procedures:

• Ankylosing Vertebral Hyperostosis
  • Brain Surgery
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Shunt - Insertion, Repair or Removal
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cerebrovascular Disease
  • Chiari Malformation Type 1
  • Chiari Malformation Type 2
  • Chiari's Deformity
  • Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Dural Tear
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Hydrocephalus
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Meningiomas
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Neuroplasty
  • Spinal Fusion
  • Thoracic Spine Myelopathy
  • Upper Back Pain

Dr. Zavala accepts

Dr. Zavala accepts the following insurance:

Ambetter
HealthyBlue 2.0
HealthyBlue Advantage
CHAMPVA
Commercial Insurance Company
Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
GEHA
Preferred PPO
Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
Pyramid Life
Tricare
WellCare

Dr. Zavala's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Zavala

Dr. Zavala?
  • Listened & answered questions (41)
  • Office environment (41)
  • Appointment scheduling (40)
  • Didn't explain conditions well (5)
  • Long wait times (5)
  • Appointment was rushed (4)
I truly enjoyed my PT sessions. The therapist were so kind and attentive. They encouraged me and showed me that they cared very much about my well being. My pain has gone down quite a bit and I am more mobile. I am able to keep paint bay with the excerises I was shown.
Grace Perez – Dec 31, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
My mom have some complications regarding her age and conditions we try avoiding more surgery but things don't improve regardless all efforts. So we was concerned above the outcome do to previous complications with surgeries but by surprise came out great, event better the 2 previous ones. She was walking faster and longer the before, pain levels after surgery was minimum and only when she have to move. We been pts of him for long time and I say it before, Dr Zavala is our Angel he go above and beyond any expectations you can have. My momvwas treated like a Queen andshe love that lol. When he say welcome to the NSC family he means it. I was expecting a long way recovery, now i can say it is not going to be event half of the time i was thinking and that means less stress mecand less pain for her. Dr Zavala can't event get closer of imaging how greatful we are of having him in our provider words can't event get closer to it. May God keep blessing and keep you safe. ????????????
AA & BTA – Dec 16, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
some years back i had a lower back spine surgery with doctor gerardo zavala and my experian was so good he bring me back to life until nowdays i would like to have the oportunity to thank's doctor zavala and to all his stuff for all work they putting on me and againg thank you doctor zavala, Sincery: luciano
Luciano Zepeda – Nov 29, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
recently i had a spine surgery with a doctor gerardo zavala and thanks god and doctor zavala everything was over expectation until now i feel great and i hope i continue ok till my ful recovery i would like to thank doctor zavala for his profesiolistmo for his care and his kindnnes and to all his team. and thank you againg doctor zavala and to all you staff sincery Sandra Zepeda
Sandra Zepeda – Nov 29, 2020
Excellent
  • Staff wasn't friendly
  • Didn't explain conditions well
J.Soto – Nov 18, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
My visit was a very positive experience. Dr. Zavala has very good bedside manners and cares very much about his patients. I went in to see Dr. Zavala with a very excruciating pain on my back and after surgery came out feeling great. I highly recommend Dr. Zavala He is the best!
Diana Cisneros – Oct 13, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
Dr. Zavala performed cervical spinal surgery on me 5 years ago with outstanding results. I unfortunately had an recient accident and did substantial damage to my spine. Dr. Zavala performed surgery on me 2 weeks ago. He expertly repaired the extensive damage. I have no more pain in my arm and very minimal dull pain between my shoulders (the pain between my shoulders is getting better every day). God gave Dr. Zavala a special gift. His talent and skill as a surgeon is unmatched. If you have had an accident to your spine don't wait get an appointment with Dr. Zavala. He and his staff takes the time to listen to you and explain your options, procedures and results. Outstanding doctor.
Col. Tommy L. Gilmore, USAF, (Ret.) – Mar 28, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
Dr. Zavala performed my back surgery December 2019. He did a great job! I feel so much better. I enjoyed meeting him and his staff at Centerview. I appreciate Dr. Zavala being upfront and honest with me and my family. Great personality and bed side manner! Thank you!
Maria Diaz – Feb 18, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
Dr. Zavala performed extensive back surgery on me 6months ago. He is an excellent doctor.
Feb 15, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
I had been suffering with chronic lower back pain which radiated down my left leg for approximately 1.5 years. I had tried physical therapy and epidural steroid injections, but only temporary relief was obtained. Finally, I decided to pursue surgery and met with Dr. Zavala II. He evaluated my medical records, discussed my options, and explained the potential risks of surgery. I opted for surgery. The moment I awakened in the recovery room I new I made the right decision. The pain which had been radiating down my left leg was gone. I feel like I got my life back!!! I found Dr. Zavala and all his staff to be very professional, personable, and competent. I highly recommend to anyone with back pain issues to contact him for a consultation!!!
Ron Peterson – Jan 17, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
I had back surgery 2 months ago Not by Dr. Zavala but by another surgeon who made a very rare mistake. I have been without post care or any real help as to a plan of care going forward. My dad see's Dr. Zavala' s dad for his back & we were recommend by him to see Dr. Zavala. BEST DECISION EVER MADE!!! I was so scared because of course no one wants to clean up someone else's mess but Dr. Zavala was amazing. He is very knowledgeable about his profession and super caring with so much compassion. This Dr did more for me in the first hour than the other Dr has done for me in 2 months. Dr. Zavala said he was going to take good care of me & with that being said, I saw him on the 7th he has already set me up & scheduled CT, nerve testing, sacs compressions, knee/brace to help me walk, OT/PT, provider care, handicapped prescription & meds to help with my issues. Not only did he do that his office staff was amazing at setting me up & making sure I had all the referrals. I'm hopeful for recovery
Samantha Ocejo – Jan 16, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
Was scheduled twice for surgery and the last one was cancelled because the hospital would not give him two operating rooms. Dr. Zavala explained to me and my wife that he could perform the surgery because his Anesthesiologist was not available. But, unknown to Dr. Zavala, his anesthesiologist had already prepared me for surgery 30 minutes earlier. I do not like people lying to me. Zavala lacks serious integrity from my experience with him.
Robert Berg – Jan 03, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
Went to see Dr Zavala this morning and I tell you he is the most vulgar and has a mouth and a liar Dr that I ever met. He accused me of going to a Dr's office and talking bad to the receptionist well I went over there to clarify and she told me he was mistaken in other words a liar..didn't check my wonder surgery which I had glue coming out from my back where he had done the surgery he got on my face I thought he was going to slap me or pick a fight...I seen so many surgeons and he is the worst....
Rodolfo lozano – Oct 30, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
Hi I had lower back surgery with dr Zavala 11 and I don’t have nothing wrong with the dr. Sometimes people from his staff do errors. But the doctor don’t have nothing to do with there mistakes that they do in the office. So I apologize to dr Zavala about the stars that I put days earlier, and also for my comments. He is a very good doctor that I recommend to eny one who needs surgery.
Ramiro del bosque jr – Aug 30, 2019
Thank you for taking time to leave a review. ...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
Dr. Zavala was the most professional and caring doctor that I have ever been associated with. The back surgery he performed on me was a success and I was pain free the minute I awoke from anesthesia. I would recommend Dr. Zavala for any type of back or neurological treatment.
Bill Mayo – Aug 09, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
Amazing physician! Felt at ease with him and he is now caring for my mother and father in law who have back issues. His staff is kind, patient, and very knowledgeable.
Aug 07, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
I had been suffering with lower back pain for years, I finally broke down and went for a consultation with Dr. Zavala at that point he recommended surgery, I was a little apprehensive because my niece had back surgery performed by another surgeon and it did not go well, Dr. Zavala explained all he was going to do and put me at ease, he did a wonderful job and now he is my hero, I went from severe back and leg pain to no pain at all, I highly recommend him, just do exactly what he says to do and all will be good. Also the staff at his office are awesome and attentive. D Jimenez Natalia Texas
May 31, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
I want to say that I've been under Dr. Zavala II care, for quite a few years. I owe my life to Dr. Zavala, because if it hadn't been for his medical decision to get a cardiac clearance for a neck surgery procedure, I would of possibly have had a heart attack during my procedure, and died. My opinion to everyone, especially the elderly, is to pay attention to the warning signs and make them known to your Doctor, weather it's your primary or specialist. Thank you Dr. Zavala II, for your care.
Margaret Valdes in San Antonio, TX – Mar 01, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
Having suffered back issues for years my new doctor in San Antonio refereed me to Dr. Z. When I finally pulled the trigger he and his team were very through in in making sure the CORRECT procedure and repair was recommended and performed. Now just two weeks after surgery I have NO pain. This speaks volumes as each day I was at a 6-to-8 and just learned to live with it. I know I', not fully healed yet, but I have more restful sleep and less stress as a result of the Laminectomy he performed. A+++
Dave S in San Antonio, TX – Jan 31, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
As a 68 yr. old veteran needing complicated back surgery I could not reccomend a better surgeon. The relief from pain and the regaining of my mobility have been unbelievable. I truly believe his hands are blessed. Trust him. He has your best interest at heart.
Jack R. Word in Converse, TX – Nov 06, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Zavala?

My philosophy with surgical intervention is to "proceed with caution". Surgery is an invasive endeavor, which should be addressed with mutual respect and...Read more

• Neurosurgery