Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD

NeurosurgeryMaleAge 48

Neurosurgery

Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD is a Neurosurgery Specialist in San Antonio, TX and has over 23 years of experience in the medical field. Dr. Zavala has extensive experience in Spine Disorders & Surgical Procedures. He graduated from UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS MEDICAL SCHOOL AT SAN ANTONIO in 2000. He is affiliated with medical facilities such as Methodist Hospital and South Texas Spine And Surgical Hospital. His office accepts new patients.

Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD

Neurosurgery & Spine Consultants

4611 Centerview Ste 103 San Antonio, TX 78228

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Practices at Top Hospital
    America's 250 Best Hospitals Award™ See hospitals
  • Hospital Satisfaction

No malpractice claims found for Texas

Frequently Treated by Dr. Zavala

Based on treatment records, we have identified the following as areas of care that Dr. Zavala treats more often than their peers. If you are unsure whether Dr. Zavala treats other conditions, please contact the office at (210) 255-8935.

Spine Disorders & Surgical Procedures

Spine specialists diagnose and treat conditions affecting the bones of the spine, including degenerative spine disease, herniated discs, stenosis, and fractured vertebrae, with treatments including medication, physical therapy, and surgery.Compare with other Spine Disorders & Surgical Procedures specialists.

Dr. Zavala is experienced in the area of Spine Disorders & Surgical Procedures. See the graph below to learn more about his experience.

Based on claims data for 57 conditions and procedures

Treatments
Dr. Zavala
Similar Providers
Spinal Stenosis
Herniated Disc
Low Back Pain
Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement)
Normal
High
Very High

Check Dr. Zavala's experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. Zavala's conditions and procedures:

• Ankylosing Vertebral Hyperostosis
  • Brain Injury
  • Broken Neck
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Chiari Malformation Type 1
  • Dural Tear
  • Hydrocephalus
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Meningiomas
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Neurostimulation
  • Traumatic Brain Injury
  • Upper Back Pain
  • Vertebral Column Tumors

Dr. Zavala accepts

Dr. Zavala accepts the following insurance:

Ambetter
HealthyBlue Advantage
CHAMPVA
Commercial Insurance Company
First Health
Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
GEHA
Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
Medicare
Pyramid Life
Tricare
WellCare

Dr. Zavala's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Zavala

Physical therapy
Therapists are caring respectful and very knowledgeable to my needs
Ercilia Hernandez – Nov 29, 2022
Highly recommend Dr. Zavala
Dr. Zavala did a tremendous job. He is a real professional and is a gift from God. I am very satisfied with the outcome of my surgery. I highly recommend him.
Fernando Guerra – Nov 17, 2022
New Quality of Life
For the past 10 years, I’ve been suffering with pain. My symptoms continued to worsen and had doctors that could not figure out what was wrong with me. I changed PCP and he referred me to Dr. Zavala in September. After critical observation and testing, he determined I needed surgery. Within a month he scheduled me for surgery. After surgery, I noticed an immediate difference in the way I walked. During my post surgery appointment, the staff was very helpful and thorough about the steps to recovery. Although I’m still in the recovery stages, I know I am going to have a better quality of life because of Dr. Zavala’s expertise and attentive staff.
Frank M – Nov 14, 2022
GREAT IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT
GILBERT MCKINNEY – Sep 23, 2022
Physical therapy
I didn’t see Dr Zavala. I had physical therapy. The therapist’s were great and really helped with my back pain. The reason for only three stars is the ridiculous rule about wearing masks. I would not go back there because exercising with a mask on is asinine.
Karen Bechard – Jun 02, 2022
Physical Therapy
Steven and the crew were great, took their time with you and they knew what they were doing, made you look forward to PT
Jim S – May 25, 2022
Amazing clinic
From the time I walked in until the time I checked out, I was always being checked on to make sure all was well.
Steve B – Apr 07, 2022
Believe !!!
I'm been a pt of the clinic for yrs. I started with dr Alberts...the after yrs of pain he was the only dr my pcp send me the look at me as a person in pain and need help not my size. He do a out pt. Surgery and a soon I was home I was like my normal me. But do to long wait I got some damage but still pain was less and function was better. Was refer to dr Zavala to help me out with my hands and been fee yrs feeling almost normal. Then i have a fall and Dr Z do a spine fusion...and I was asking nurses to let me walk instead of rolling over in bed and used a cath im stubborn when come to independent. Then after almost a yr he was the only dr the believe me my headache and other symptoms was no migraine...he put a VP shunt on me after testing to confirmed i do not was having migraine. Waking up with just discomfort from the incisions and no headaches was like a miracle. Have few more surgeries with him gor revision but im great thanks to all my Angels in the clinic. They are my family now.
Ms. Barbie T. – Apr 02, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
Trato profesional y agradable, muy confiable y agradecida por la operación que me volvió a mi vida normal, trato amable del dr. Zavala y su equipo.
Maria Del rosario – Mar 08, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
They don’t support there patients with their needs.
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
Ramiro Del Bosque – Dec 10, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
I had an extensive back surgery this past July, repairing the S1 to the L2 discs. Dr Zavala and his team made the experience easier to deal with when normally any back surgery can be one of the most painful things you can go through. I recently found out that I had 2 spinal fractures at the L1 and L2 which landed me in the ER. Again Dr Zavala and his team took wonderful care of me. This was on a Sunday afternoon and he dropped everything to come and meet with me to discuss the issue, what to expect, what his plans were to correct the problem and to make sure I received the medical attention I needed. The pain prior to the surgery was so extreme, to where I could barely walk. But now, after having the procedure done, I feel such relief, and I am so grateful to Dr Zavala for what he has done to help me through a very difficult issue. He is the most compassionate and caring doctor I have ever dealt with, and I highly recommend him.
Lauriann Azzati – Nov 18, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
Dr. Zavala’s office and hospital are the most considerate and professional people I have ever dealt with. On top of Doctor Zavala’s surgical skills being number one in the state, if not the nation, his staff and hospital facilities are second to none. After extensive research for a back surgeon, and several references from previous patients and other doctors, I found Dr. Zavala’s ratings and recommendations to be among the highest… and well deserved! I had been suffering for over 6 months with severe pain in my lower back due to severe stenosis of the spine brought on by arthritis. From the moment I awoke from surgery, the back pain was completely gone! For the first time in over 6 months I finally had relief! I followed up with PT and I feel like I am back to normal! I would highly recommend Dr. Zavala to anyone looking for EXCELLENT results!
Ed Haught – Nov 06, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
Dr Zavala is great! Just one recommendation it would be great if you have more one on one consultation with you patient after surgery. I met with Dr Zavala one time and it was before my procedure after that -not even in the hospital, I talk te to him- I only have seen the PA. Don’t give wrong he is a great doctor, he just need more time with your patients.
Sep 27, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
I had a 3 level cervical fusion and disectomy completed by Dr Zavala at the end of November. His surgical hospital treated me VERY well! I have listed a few pro/con’s from the past 9 weeks that will hopefully help anyone reading these reviews! Pro’s -Short wait times. -Dr Zavala called me after hours when I was having fears about surgery and not sure which surgery/surgeon to go with. He spent almost 20 minutes discussing my concerns via a last minute Zoom visit. -BEAUTIFUL office. VERY NICE STAFF. -They take CDC measures to prevent coronavirus spread, THANK YOU! -After surgery my left leg and left hand weakness have steadily improved! -Dr Zavala was very straight forward, I respect that. He told me surgery may not improve my current pain and that we are doing it to stop progression of weakness. -Incision looks AMAZING! Con’s -Med assistant instructed me to wear the CMF Spinalogic bone stimulator around my waist instead of my surgical site (neck). I am a nurse and questioned this but
  • Appointment was rushed
Jan 31, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
My name is Lisa and I am 62 years old. I was injured in an auto accident 3 1/2 years ago. For 2 years I was unsuccessfully treated by numerous doctors using many different modalities. About a year ago, I lost use and feeling of my right leg and foot. At that point, a podiatrist said that it was coming from my spine injury. I looked up a surgeon who had 5 star ratings and found Dr. Zavala. Although, he was a little hesitant to take my case because so much damage had happened to the nerves feeding my right leg and foot, and it had been going on so long, he knew success was unlikely. However, after meeting me and noting that I definitely had a positive attitude, and was willing to do the work before, during and after the surgery, he decided it was worth the effort. Two weeks ago he did surgery that enlarged the openings for the nerves and removed the bulging disc tissue. Within three days I was able to move my foot for the first time in over a year. I highly recommend Dr. Zavala! Thanks!
Lisa Cafiero – Jan 30, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
I truly enjoyed my PT sessions. The therapist were so kind and attentive. They encouraged me and showed me that they cared very much about my well being. My pain has gone down quite a bit and I am more mobile. I am able to keep paint bay with the excerises I was shown.
Grace Perez – Dec 31, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
some years back i had a lower back spine surgery with doctor gerardo zavala and my experian was so good he bring me back to life until nowdays i would like to have the oportunity to thank's doctor zavala and to all his stuff for all work they putting on me and againg thank you doctor zavala, Sincery: luciano
Luciano Zepeda – Nov 29, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
recently i had a spine surgery with a doctor gerardo zavala and thanks god and doctor zavala everything was over expectation until now i feel great and i hope i continue ok till my ful recovery i would like to thank doctor zavala for his profesiolistmo for his care and his kindnnes and to all his team. and thank you againg doctor zavala and to all you staff sincery Sandra Zepeda
Sandra Zepeda – Nov 29, 2020
Excellent
  • Staff wasn't friendly
  • Didn't explain conditions well
J.Soto – Nov 18, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
My visit was a very positive experience. Dr. Zavala has very good bedside manners and cares very much about his patients. I went in to see Dr. Zavala with a very excruciating pain on my back and after surgery came out feeling great. I highly recommend Dr. Zavala He is the best!
Diana Cisneros – Oct 13, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Zavala?