Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD

NeurosurgeryMaleAge 47

Neurosurgery/Spine Consultants

4611 Centerview Dr San Antonio, TX 78228

Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD is a Neurosurgery Specialist in San Antonio, TX and has over 22 years of experience in the medical field. Dr. Zavala has more experience with Spine Disorders & Surgical Procedures than other specialists in his area. He graduated from University of Texas Medical School At San Antonio medical school in 2000. He is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Zavala to book an appointment.

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Neurosurgery Specialists in your area

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Trustworthy
    Patients said this doctor is trustworthy. See reviews

No malpractice claims found for Texas

Frequently Treated by Dr. Zavala

Based on treatment records, we have identified the following as areas of care that Dr. Zavala treats more often than their peers. If you are unsure whether Dr. Zavala treats other conditions, please contact the office at (210) 255-8935.

Spine Disorders & Surgical Procedures

Spine specialists diagnose and treat conditions affecting the bones of the spine, including degenerative spine disease, herniated discs, stenosis, and fractured vertebrae, with treatments including medication, physical therapy, and surgery.Compare with other Spine Disorders & Surgical Procedures specialists.

Dr. Zavala is experienced in the area of Spine Disorders & Surgical Procedures. See the graph below to learn more about his experience.

Based on claims data for 57 conditions and procedures

Treatments
Similar Providers
Spinal Stenosis
Herniated Disc
Low Back Pain
Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement)
Normal

• Ankylosing Vertebral Hyperostosis
  • Brain Surgery
  • Cerebral Artery Thrombosis
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Shunt - Insertion, Repair or Removal
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cerebrovascular Disease
  • Chiari Malformation Type 1
  • Chiari Malformation Type 2
  • Chiari's Deformity
  • Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Dural Tear
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Hydrocephalus
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Laminoforaminotomy
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Meningiomas
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Neuroplasty
  • Thoracic Spine Fracture
  • Thoracic Spine Myelopathy
  • Upper Back Pain

Dr. Zavala accepts

Dr. Zavala accepts the following insurance:

Ambetter
HealthyBlue 2.0
HealthyBlue Advantage
CHAMPVA
Commercial Insurance Company
Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
GEHA
Preferred PPO
Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
Pyramid Life
Tricare
WellCare

Dr. Zavala's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Zavala

4.5

11.320754716981131%

Dr. Zavala

They don’t support there patients with their needs.
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
Ramiro Del Bosque – Dec 10, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
I had an extensive back surgery this past July, repairing the S1 to the L2 discs. Dr Zavala and his team made the experience easier to deal with when normally any back surgery can be one of the most painful things you can go through. I recently found out that I had 2 spinal fractures at the L1 and L2 which landed me in the ER. Again Dr Zavala and his team took wonderful care of me. This was on a Sunday afternoon and he dropped everything to come and meet with me to discuss the issue, what to expect, what his plans were to correct the problem and to make sure I received the medical attention I needed. The pain prior to the surgery was so extreme, to where I could barely walk. But now, after having the procedure done, I feel such relief, and I am so grateful to Dr Zavala for what he has done to help me through a very difficult issue. He is the most compassionate and caring doctor I have ever dealt with, and I highly recommend him.
Lauriann Azzati – Nov 18, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
Dr. Zavala’s office and hospital are the most considerate and professional people I have ever dealt with. On top of Doctor Zavala’s surgical skills being number one in the state, if not the nation, his staff and hospital facilities are second to none. After extensive research for a back surgeon, and several references from previous patients and other doctors, I found Dr. Zavala’s ratings and recommendations to be among the highest… and well deserved! I had been suffering for over 6 months with severe pain in my lower back due to severe stenosis of the spine brought on by arthritis. From the moment I awoke from surgery, the back pain was completely gone! For the first time in over 6 months I finally had relief! I followed up with PT and I feel like I am back to normal! I would highly recommend Dr. Zavala to anyone looking for EXCELLENT results!
Ed Haught – Nov 06, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
I have been a pt of the Clinic since before he open his current location. 3 spine surgeries, both hands carpal tuner, VP shunt and now VP shunt replacement. Also he had done surgery on my mom. And i can say from the bottom of my heart the you will not find more professional, caring and compassionate Drs and staff. They are my family now that is how you will feel. I always told them they are my Angels because thanks to them specially Dr Z. After 10 yrs suffering with multiple problems, I can finally say I can walk better and do things the i was not able to do before. And after 9 month of ER visits and couples specialist telling i just have migraine. I just too few minutes to check my MRI snd he told me no you need a VP shunt. He believe me the the HA was something else. And right away my symptoms got better. Is really no real world to say how much he have change my life and how much grateful I'm to be his pt. Blessings always!
Barbie – Oct 29, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
Dr Zavala is great! Just one recommendation it would be great if you have more one on one consultation with you patient after surgery. I met with Dr Zavala one time and it was before my procedure after that -not even in the hospital, I talk te to him- I only have seen the PA. Don’t give wrong he is a great doctor, he just need more time with your patients.
Sep 27, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
I had a 3 level cervical fusion and disectomy completed by Dr Zavala at the end of November. His surgical hospital treated me VERY well! I have listed a few pro/con’s from the past 9 weeks that will hopefully help anyone reading these reviews! Pro’s -Short wait times. -Dr Zavala called me after hours when I was having fears about surgery and not sure which surgery/surgeon to go with. He spent almost 20 minutes discussing my concerns via a last minute Zoom visit. -BEAUTIFUL office. VERY NICE STAFF. -They take CDC measures to prevent coronavirus spread, THANK YOU! -After surgery my left leg and left hand weakness have steadily improved! -Dr Zavala was very straight forward, I respect that. He told me surgery may not improve my current pain and that we are doing it to stop progression of weakness. -Incision looks AMAZING! Con’s -Med assistant instructed me to wear the CMF Spinalogic bone stimulator around my waist instead of my surgical site (neck). I am a nurse and questioned this but
  • Appointment was rushed
Jan 31, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
My name is Lisa and I am 62 years old. I was injured in an auto accident 3 1/2 years ago. For 2 years I was unsuccessfully treated by numerous doctors using many different modalities. About a year ago, I lost use and feeling of my right leg and foot. At that point, a podiatrist said that it was coming from my spine injury. I looked up a surgeon who had 5 star ratings and found Dr. Zavala. Although, he was a little hesitant to take my case because so much damage had happened to the nerves feeding my right leg and foot, and it had been going on so long, he knew success was unlikely. However, after meeting me and noting that I definitely had a positive attitude, and was willing to do the work before, during and after the surgery, he decided it was worth the effort. Two weeks ago he did surgery that enlarged the openings for the nerves and removed the bulging disc tissue. Within three days I was able to move my foot for the first time in over a year. I highly recommend Dr. Zavala! Thanks!
Lisa Cafiero – Jan 30, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
I truly enjoyed my PT sessions. The therapist were so kind and attentive. They encouraged me and showed me that they cared very much about my well being. My pain has gone down quite a bit and I am more mobile. I am able to keep paint bay with the excerises I was shown.
Grace Perez – Dec 31, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
some years back i had a lower back spine surgery with doctor gerardo zavala and my experian was so good he bring me back to life until nowdays i would like to have the oportunity to thank's doctor zavala and to all his stuff for all work they putting on me and againg thank you doctor zavala, Sincery: luciano
Luciano Zepeda – Nov 29, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
recently i had a spine surgery with a doctor gerardo zavala and thanks god and doctor zavala everything was over expectation until now i feel great and i hope i continue ok till my ful recovery i would like to thank doctor zavala for his profesiolistmo for his care and his kindnnes and to all his team. and thank you againg doctor zavala and to all you staff sincery Sandra Zepeda
Sandra Zepeda – Nov 29, 2020
Excellent
  • Staff wasn't friendly
  • Didn't explain conditions well
J.Soto – Nov 18, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
My visit was a very positive experience. Dr. Zavala has very good bedside manners and cares very much about his patients. I went in to see Dr. Zavala with a very excruciating pain on my back and after surgery came out feeling great. I highly recommend Dr. Zavala He is the best!
Diana Cisneros – Oct 13, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
Dr. Zavala performed cervical spinal surgery on me 5 years ago with outstanding results. I unfortunately had an recient accident and did substantial damage to my spine. Dr. Zavala performed surgery on me 2 weeks ago. He expertly repaired the extensive damage. I have no more pain in my arm and very minimal dull pain between my shoulders (the pain between my shoulders is getting better every day). God gave Dr. Zavala a special gift. His talent and skill as a surgeon is unmatched. If you have had an accident to your spine don't wait get an appointment with Dr. Zavala. He and his staff takes the time to listen to you and explain your options, procedures and results. Outstanding doctor.
Col. Tommy L. Gilmore, USAF, (Ret.) – Mar 28, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
Dr. Zavala performed my back surgery December 2019. He did a great job! I feel so much better. I enjoyed meeting him and his staff at Centerview. I appreciate Dr. Zavala being upfront and honest with me and my family. Great personality and bed side manner! Thank you!
Maria Diaz – Feb 18, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
Dr. Zavala performed extensive back surgery on me 6months ago. He is an excellent doctor.
Feb 15, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
I had been suffering with chronic lower back pain which radiated down my left leg for approximately 1.5 years. I had tried physical therapy and epidural steroid injections, but only temporary relief was obtained. Finally, I decided to pursue surgery and met with Dr. Zavala II. He evaluated my medical records, discussed my options, and explained the potential risks of surgery. I opted for surgery. The moment I awakened in the recovery room I new I made the right decision. The pain which had been radiating down my left leg was gone. I feel like I got my life back!!! I found Dr. Zavala and all his staff to be very professional, personable, and competent. I highly recommend to anyone with back pain issues to contact him for a consultation!!!
Ron Peterson – Jan 17, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
I had back surgery 2 months ago Not by Dr. Zavala but by another surgeon who made a very rare mistake. I have been without post care or any real help as to a plan of care going forward. My dad see's Dr. Zavala' s dad for his back & we were recommend by him to see Dr. Zavala. BEST DECISION EVER MADE!!! I was so scared because of course no one wants to clean up someone else's mess but Dr. Zavala was amazing. He is very knowledgeable about his profession and super caring with so much compassion. This Dr did more for me in the first hour than the other Dr has done for me in 2 months. Dr. Zavala said he was going to take good care of me & with that being said, I saw him on the 7th he has already set me up & scheduled CT, nerve testing, sacs compressions, knee/brace to help me walk, OT/PT, provider care, handicapped prescription & meds to help with my issues. Not only did he do that his office staff was amazing at setting me up & making sure I had all the referrals. I'm hopeful for recovery
Samantha Ocejo – Jan 16, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
Was scheduled twice for surgery and the last one was cancelled because the hospital would not give him two operating rooms. Dr. Zavala explained to me and my wife that he could perform the surgery because his Anesthesiologist was not available. But, unknown to Dr. Zavala, his anesthesiologist had already prepared me for surgery 30 minutes earlier. I do not like people lying to me. Zavala lacks serious integrity from my experience with him.
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Robert Berg – Jan 03, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
Went to see Dr Zavala this morning and I tell you he is the most vulgar and has a mouth and a liar Dr that I ever met. He accused me of going to a Dr's office and talking bad to the receptionist well I went over there to clarify and she told me he was mistaken in other words a liar..didn't check my wonder surgery which I had glue coming out from my back where he had done the surgery he got on my face I thought he was going to slap me or pick a fight...I seen so many surgeons and he is the worst....
Rodolfo lozano – Oct 30, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?
Dr. Zavala was the most professional and caring doctor that I have ever been associated with. The back surgery he performed on me was a success and I was pain free the minute I awoke from anesthesia. I would recommend Dr. Zavala for any type of back or neurological treatment.
Bill Mayo – Aug 09, 2019
Thank you for taking time to leave a review! It...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gerardo Zavala, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Zavala?
Provider explaining information to patient