Ophthalmology  |
Dr. Gerald Shepps, MD
Dr. Shepps remains active in the education of new and established doctors. As the Medical Director of the Glaucoma Institute at S.U.N.Y., his lectures concentrate on the medical, laser, and surgical treatments of ocular disease. He attends to the patients and medical staff at N.Y.U., Beth Israel, and the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary. he serves as eye surgeon for the New York Police Department. Dr. Shepps was Director of the Glaucoma Institute at SUNY School of Optometry for 11 years. He also taught residents at the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary, St. Vincent's Medical Center, New York University Medical Center, and Manhattan Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital. Lasik, Anterior segment surgery, and ocular trauma are the other areas of specialization. He is a past Director of Glaucoma Services at NYU/NYDH. A Board Certified Diplomate of the American Board of Ophthalmology, he holds undergraduate and medical graduate degrees from Clemson University and the University of South Carolina. Glaucoma and anterior segment post-doctoral fellowship training was pursued at the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Harvard Medical School. Dr. Shepps is currently active in clinical and basic science research into the cause and treatment of glaucoma.

Associate Ophthalmologists

• HealthFirst
  • MagnaCare
  • Oxford Health Plans

Learn about Dr. Shepps

Associate Ophthalmologists & Optometrists, together with Associate Opticians, create an ideal team of professionals to offer the most comprehensive care for all your eye health and vision care needs.  As a private group practice, we have been serving the Financial District and Mid-Manhattan communities, and beyond, for over five decades.  Our doctors, comprised of ophthalmologists and optometrists, provide the highest level of medical and surgical care ranging from urgent eye care to cosmetic enhancements, stye removal to cataract surgery, laser vision correction/refractive surgery (LASIK), contact lens services and glaucoma screening and treatment, exclusively to maintain, improve and enhance the quality of patients' lives.

Our state-of-the-art facilities, highly specialized equipment of the latest technology, and Electronic Medical Record system allow us to provide efficient, accurate and high quality care, as well as quality time and attention that you deserve.  The ancillary staff from front desk and testing to checkout is extremely friendly and welcoming making you feel comfortable and calm throughout your visit.

The onsite optical boutique within our downtown office and staffed by a licensed optician provides added convenience to your experience.  It offers a complete line of fashion eye wear, sunglasses, sport goggles and low vision aids.  Local home and office fitting is available by special appointment.

Our patients have given us the highest compliments by referring family and friends to our practice.  This level of trust inspires us to continue our tradition to excel.  With offices conveniently located near Wall Street and the heart of Manhattan close to public transportation, we invite you to visit us online and onsite to witness for yourself that our highly trained staff and doctors are fully committed to delivering excellent care in a comfortable and caring setting and that we have your best interests at heart.  We do our best to make you and your eyes feel special!

Dr. Shepps' Experience

Dr. Shepps' experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Ophthalmology

• Uveitis and Iridocyclitis

• Cataract Removal Surgery
  • Eye Surgery
  • Glaucoma Surgery
  • Vitrectomy (incl. Macular Hole Repair)
  • Vitreoretinal Surgery

No malpractice history found for New York.

• Clemson University
  • New York Eye and Ear Infirmary
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1990
  • Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1991

Dr. Shepps has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Shepps does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Shepps and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Shepps' Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Shepps to family and friends
4.4
Dr. Shepps' Performance
in New York, NY |
Dr. Shepps is wonderful. He and his entire staff are friendly, helpful & efficient.
in New York, NY 10038 |
I greatly appreciate Dr Shepps' skill & expertise as he performed two flawless cataract surgeries on me. I had no post-operative problems whatsoever. And, I no longer need glasses after the surgery. Dr Shepps diligently followed-up on my progress, ensuring that no additional problems could materialize. Based on these observations & my personal interaction with him, I strongly recommend Dr Shepps to anyone needing eye surgery. I can still hardly believe my vision has improved so dramatically.
in New York, NY |
He really listens to his patients, he cares that you understand, and does what is best for your vision. He is excellent! The entire office is efficiently run. They are the group I recommend for my patients, my my colleagues for care. Elizabeth Rothstein,PA-C
in Brooklyn, NY |
Dr Shepps sat down with me and discussed the surgery in depth and answered all my questions. He saw I was nervous about the surgery and reassured me the surgery is routine & he does not see any problems. He did the right eye surgery & two weeks later did the left eye. The followup visits with the dr. to make sure the surgeries were going well simply reassured me how conscientious the doctors and staff were.
New York, NY |
Dr Shepps is adept at explaining eye conditions, choices to improve vision, and listens to and answers questions thoroughly. Additionally, his experience gives me confidence.
in New York, NY |
Saw him for an issue I had with my eye, my regular doctor didn't know what to do. Dr Shepps helped me and my issue got resolved, very happy. Wait time was worth it.
Have you seen Dr. Gerald Shepps, MD?
Are you Dr. Shepps?

See our Ophthalmology Specialist at NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia University Medical Center

Visit Dr. Shepps