Dr. Gerald Calegan II, MD

Neurology | Male

Dr. Gerald Calegan II, MD
Dr. Gerald Calegan II, MD is a neurology doctor who practices in Baton Rouge, LA. He is 45 years old and has been practicing for 16 years. Dr. Calegan II is affiliated with Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center, Baton Rouge General - Bluebonnet, Baton Rouge General - Mid City and The Spine Hospital of Louisiana at The NeuroMedical Center.

Dr. Calegan II's Care Philosophy

I provide excellent general neurological care. Though I see and treat patients with all neurologic diseases, I have subspecialty training in Movement Disorders (Parkinson's Disease, Tremors, Dystonia, etc). Specialized treatment options include Botulinum toxin injection and Deep Brain Stimulation.

Dr. Calegan II's Experience

See how Dr. Calegan II's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Calegan II

Dr. Calegan II accepts 19 insurance carriers

Dr. Calegan II is now accepting new patients

Check out the quality of care at the 4 hospitals where Dr. Calegan II has admitting privileges.

Dr. Calegan II's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Calegan II to family and friends
    4.1
    Dr. Calegan II's Performance
    in Hessmer, LA |
    I was very impressed with Dr Calegan from day 1. He's always willing to take time to listen to me and my questions / concerns regardless of how busy he is. He has helped me so much. I drive 2 hours to see him and worth every mile. He and his staff are the best.
    in Baton Rouge, LA |
    I have been a patient of Dr. Calegan for several years now. I visited several our neurologist before I found Dr. Calegan, who is very attentive and caring. From the beginning he listened patiently to my concerns and we discussed the best treatment for my condition, which have help me tremendously.
    in Baton Rouge, LA |
    I see Dr Calegan for treatment of my migraines. The treatments I receive from him have greatly improved my day to day quality of life. He has an excellent bedside manner, always taking time to address all of my health concerns.
    in Baton Rouge, LA |
    On February 28,2017 was my first visit with Dr. Calegan. I was really impressed with his bed side manner. He listened and was very attentive . I felt very comfortable with him and we mapped out a plan of care that he felt would be best for me . I will most definitely be keeping him as my neurologist .
    in Ponchaoula, LA |
    I have suffered from migraine headaches for years. Dr. Calegan recently administered Botox for my chronic migraines. He is very professional, knowledgeable and personable which are traits that I look for in a physician.
    in New Iberia, LA |
    My mother, Gwen Pichoff had the best experience with Dr. Calegan. He had an awesome bedside manner and made me mom feel very comfortable. He was very sympathetic and understanding of her illness. He was very calm and mild mannered. He was also very patient and thoroughly answered all of our questions. In fact, he made such a good impression that my mom couldn't stop talking about him(ha,ha). He was highly recommended by my moms Dr. and we would definitely recommend Dr. Calegan to everyone.
    in Baton Rouge, LA |
    I cannot recommend Dr. Calegan enough! I had gone to different doctors for years with multiple painful muscle conditions, and immediately Dr. Calegan diagnosed me with a condition that tied everything together (dystonia), and offered me an incredibly effective treatment (Dysport). I am 90% pain free now with treatment, and it is all because of Dr. Calegan! He is really knowledgable, takes a lot of time with me to talk about everything, and takes excellent notes during appointments.
    in Baton Rouge, LA |
    Dr. Calegan has treated my migraines now for about 5-6 years. He has changed my quality of life tremendously. I used to suffer with migraines almost every day of the month. After Dr. Calegan's treatment plan my migraines are under control, and I'm able to enjoy my daily activities. He has suggested new ideas including diet change and vitamins that continue to make me feel better and decrease the number of headaches. Dr. Calegan has gone above and beyond for me. I truly can't thank him enough.
    in Grosse Tete, LA |
    Was very satisfied with my visit with Dr. Calegan, he was very thoughtful and explained my condition in terms I could understand. He didn't rush us through the consult and answered all of our questions. I will definitely recommend Dr. Calegan to friends and family.
    in West Monroe, LA |
    I have to admit he wasn't what I expected. He was just the opposite. Dr. Calegan from the second he walks in the room you become his patient. He took time to listen to me and looked at me while I spoke. Which is rare now days. He was concerned about my issue therefore, he ask me questions looking at me not down at a file. He looked up my other medical issues I see Dr Irwin for. He made sure he knew my history so he could do best job possible. I understood everything. He talks to u not at u! :)
    in Pineville, LA |
    Dr. Calegan and the entire staff are top notch. I thank God I was referred to Dr. Calegan.
    in Baton Rouge, LA |
    Extremely knowledgeable, especially regarding Parkinson's, open to new ideas, willing to listen, explains reasons for his recommendations. I highly recommend Dr Calegan to anyone with a neurological condition.
    in Donaldsonville, LA |
    I would tell friends and family about Dr. Calegan because he is very perfesioal and has kept my Parkinson's in remission. He listens to what I say and takes my thoughts into consideration when making decisions a bout medications or any or aspects of my health.
    in Pineville, LA |
    I highly recommend Dr. Calegan. He's DBS on me and has been great. Very thorough during visits. He's 2 1/2 hours away, so glade my Doctor here recommended him.
    in New Orleans, LA |
    I have referred a few people to Dr. Calegan even those in the New Orleans area and all have been very satisfied and thankful. Being a 17 year veteran of Parkinson's disease I have had my share of neurologists and Dr. Calegan rates among the top. Kind, compassionate, understanding, caring, takes times with patients and very thorough ....Dr. Calegan exemplifies all the qualities of a wonderful doctor. If you want quality care sometimes its worth the wait!
    in Baton Rouge, LA |
    He is friendly and concerned with me & my condition, symptoms. Thoroughly explains procedures. Is never in a hurry to move on to next patient.
    in Baton Rouge, LA |
    My experience with Dr. Calegan has been very positive. He is willing to listen to my ideas and thoughts, no matter how different or odd they might seem. When I bring my list of concerns to our appointments, we accomplish more when we work together. Dr. Calegan partners with his patients to find the best treatment plan for each patient.
    in Baton Rouge, LA |
    Dr. Calegan is an excellent physician. He is extremely thorough and personable. His knowledge and ability to communicate complex situations, in easy to understand terms, is tremendous. I would highly recommend him!
    in Baton Rouge, LA |
    I began seeing Dr. Calegan for my migraines. The medicine he prescribed has enabled me to be able to still function (work, etc.) while it gets rid of my migraine. He was very thorough and listened to all of my concerns. You can tell he is very on top of the latest treatments in his field. I felt very comfortable in his care. I have recommended him to many of my friends.
    Baton Rouge, LA |
    I have been going to Dr. Calegan for years. I've never had an unreasonably long wait and have been treated by Dr Calegan and his staff with the utmost courtesy and respect. He takes his time and thoroughly explains the options for treatment. I would refer patients to him without any reservation.
    in Baton Rouge, LA |
    I had a great experience seeing Dr. Calegan. My wait was not long at all. He was very thorough in my exam and he took his time to explain my diagnosis in laymen's terms. Dr. Calegan answered all my questions in a very comprehensive manner and was compassionate when I explained my symptoms and pain. I would highly recommend Dr. Calegan to anyone seeking a neurologist.
    Central, LA |
    Been calling for 2 days now to get a nausea prescription filled, mother has been sick for 2 days, called back twice to find out status, said would put high priority on calling in the prescription, today is Saturday and pharmacy still has no prescription and they are now closed for the holiday weekend. Very poor service, no sense of urgency at all.
    LA |
    My last visit with this doctor was awful! He was running 2 hours behind which apparently put him in a hurried and bad mood. I wasn't given the time I deserved for a normal office visit. He also has a God like opinion of himself and didn't listen or apparently care what I had to say. To make things worse, his medical assistants need a course in POLITENESS to say the least! I wouldn't recommend Neuromedical Center to ANYONE!!!
    in Baton Rouge, LA |
    The office is very poorly run. My son who is a minor is the patient. We waited 2.5 to 3 hours to see the doctor on the first visit. The doctor wanted an MRI and EEG done but his office never called the right number to schedule. I had to pick up the orders . Then when we followed up to get results we had to see the Nurse Practioner becaue we could not get in to see the doctor. However, she did not have the results. She instruced my son to obtain the results himself.
    in Baton Rouge, LA |
    I was very pleased with my visit with Dr. Calegan. He was was very through, explained all of his findings in laymen terms, compassionate, sincere, honest, and detailed in scheduling tests, lab work, and a follow up visit..
    Have you seen Dr. Gerald Calegan II, MD?
    Are you Dr. Calegan II?

Dr. Calegan II's Care Philosophy

Dr. Calegan II's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Neurology
    •  Board certified in Neurology
    •  Malpractice claims in Louisiana not available

• Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society, 2001

Dr. Calegan II has no media or publications listed.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Louisiana.

Why It Matters: Dr. Calegan II's Board Certifications

• Cerebral Artery Thrombosis
    • Cerebral Hemorrhage
    • Cerebral Vascular Disease
    • Cerebrovascular Disease
    • Chorea (Excluding Huntington's Chorea)
    • Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuritis
    • Hydrocephalus
    • Inflammatory and Toxic Neuropathy
    • Insomnia
    • Meningiomas
    • Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
    • Myasthenia Gravis
    • Myoclonus
    • Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus
    • Optic Neuritis
    • Parkinson's Disease
    • Parkinsonism
    • Post-Concussion Syndrome
    • Progressive Supranuclear Palsy (PSP)
    • Rasmussen's Syndrome
    • Syncope
    • Thrombosis
    • Tic Disorders
    • Torticollis
    • Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA)
    • Traumatic Brain Injury

University of Alabama Hospital

Completed in 2006

Louisiana State University

Graduated in 1995

Dr. Calegan II does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Calegan II and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Neurology