Dr. George Zambetti Jr, MD

• Oxford Health Plans
  • PHCS
  • Worker's Compensation

Learn about Dr. Zambetti Jr

My principal area of interest is the conservative and operative treatment of sports-related and arthritic conditions of the knee and shoulder I do not perform joint replacement surgeries..

Personal Bio

Dr. George J. Zambetti is a leader in the field of sports medicine and a seasoned orthopedic surgeon with more than 33 years of experience treating adult and adolescent patients. He specializes in sports related injuries, arthroscopic surgery, arthritis, and trauma/fractures – with a special interest in knee and shoulder surgery, particularly ACL reconstruction, meniscus surgery, rotator cuff repair, and shoulder instability.

Born, raised and educated in the Bronx, Dr. Zambetti attended Fordham Preparatory School followedy by Fordham University where he was an integral member of the 1970-71 Sweet Sixteen basketball team and two-time Academic All-American. In his recent book, David and Goliath, Malcolm Gladwell describes Dr. Zambetti as the "indefatigable Italian kid from the Brox" based on is on-court exploints.

After graduating from Fordham with a BS in biology, Dr. Zambetti received his MD from Albany Medical College in 1976. Following a two year residency in general surgery at Roosevelt Hospital, he completed his residency in Orthopedic Surgery at New York-Presbyterian/Columbia University Medical Center in 1981, where he was Chief Resident in his final year. He is board certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, and is a member of the American Medical Association, State Orthopaedic Society, and the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine.

Dr. Zambetti has been the head team physician for Fordham University Athletics since 1981. He has also served as team physician for Fordham Prep, Cardinal Hayes, Xavier, and Mount St. Michael high schools during this same time period. In 1994, he was awarded the Sports Medicine Team Physician of the Year Award presented by The Medical Society of the State of New York.

In addition, he was awarded the Albany Medical College Humanitarian Award for his volunteer work in St. Lucia (Virgin Islands) and two tours in Bhutan under the auspices of Orthopedics Oversees.

Video

Dr. Zambetti Jr's Experience

Dr. Zambetti Jr's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

• De Quervain's Disease
  • Dupuytren's Contracture
  • Elbow Bursitis
  • Elbow Sprain
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Femur Fracture
  • Foot Fracture
  • Foot Sprain
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Ganglion Cyst
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Fracture
  • Knee Sprain
  • Lateral Collateral Ligament (LCL) Sprain
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Lupus
  • Marfan Syndrome
  • Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) Sprain
  • Neck Strain (incl. Whiplash Injury)
  • Non-Unions and Malunions of Fractures

• Shoulder Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
  • Shoulder Stabilizations
  • Shoulder Surgery
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate

No malpractice history found for New York.

• Albany Medical College
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1981

• CHSAA Hall of Fame, 1999
  • MSSNY Sports Physician of the Year, 1999
  • Fordham University Athletic Hall of Fame, 1999

Dr. Zambetti Jr has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Zambetti Jr does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Zambetti Jr and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia University Medical Center

is a Healthgrades Top-Rated Hospital

2017 Five Star Recipient for Total Knee Replacement

View Ratings

Dr. Zambetti Jr's Reviews

Help millions of people find the right doctor. Share your experience today!
Likelihood of recommending Dr. Zambetti Jr to family and friends
Dr. Zambetti Jr's Performance
in Bronx, NY |
I'm so happy with the care and treatment I received from Dr. George Zambetti, Jr. I had fractured my left ankle in 3 places with fragments. Dr. Zambetti performed surgery and I felt minimal discomfort throughout my 3 month recovery process which is quite good for someone of my age (62 yrs. old - female). And I also had good follow-up care with Dr. Zambetti always giving the best advice towards my speedy recovery. I can't thank Dr. Zambetti enough for my great recovery. I highly recommend.
in Bayside, NY |
Excellent experience all around!
Dr. Zambetti is awesome! Not only is he an excellent Orthopedic Surgeon, but he is extremely personable as well. Prior to meeting Dr. Z, I had 2 severe knee injuries (2007 - Torn ACL, MCL, Meniscus 2010 - Torn Meniscus and MCL) w/ 2 surgeries with another doctor (shame). As someone who loves cycling and sports, I was all but certain I was done. Dr. Z changed all of that. I had successful surgery in 2010 to repair the folly of my previous doctor debacle and have been riding and playing since
in New York, NY 10023 |
Dr. Zambetti is the best orthopedic surgeon on the West Side. The current procedure was my third and he and his staff were most accommodating and caring. BRAVO to all concerned. Who could ask for anything more!!!!!!
in Mount Vernon, NY |
Dr. Zambetti is an excellent surgeon. He treated my mother for a femur fracture. He is very caring and attentive. What is great is, he explained the procedure and always had us view the x-rays at his office to explain the healing process, something a lot of doctors do not do anymore.
in New York, NY |
I saw Dr. Zambetti for severe shoulder pain and he was very professional and respectful of my time, which is important to New Yorkers with busy schedules. I was able to schedule an MRI within two days of my appointment, and he called me to discuss the results/recommendations as soon as they were in. I then scheduled surgery with Dr. Zambetti and am quite happy with the results. He conducts frequent check-ups and has been available to answer/return calls when I have questions.
in New York, NY |
Patronizing, arrogant, condescending, rude, and insulting. Not interested in hearing anything I had to say. Implied that I wanted unnecessary tests (I've only gotten one Xray previously), and basically gave me the impression I had wasted his precious time. Without asking my history simply said there was nothing wrong with my knees and that running and training for a marathon was basically idiotic on my part and I should get a trainer. (I'll be sure to dip into my trust fund for that).
in Brooklyn, NY |
Went to see Dr. Zambetti for a tourn meniscus. He reminds me of guys I played football with. A manly man and down to earth on a personal note. I had to opt for surgery. My 1st surgery ever. That was October of 2015. Surgery was at a great location with great staff who all treated you very nicely. 3 holes into the knee are barely visible. Here we are months later and honestly it's like it never happened. I have no knee issues, no knee pain. He's a true professioobviousltallented in his craft.
in New York, NY |
Dr Z did a superb job both with my ACL surgery and then, a year later, with my medial meniscus surgery. I had minimal swelling and pain after both surgeries and returned to full functioning quickly.
in New York, NY |
Horrible experience , doesn't listen to the patient and nor does he show any type of respect for patient. Rude but his staff is good.
in Yonkers, NY |
I have been seeing Dr. Zambetti successful arthroscopic knee surgeries to repair a torn meniscus. His advice is always right, his knowledge extensive, his level of care and expertise is superb. His staff is friendly and efficient.
in nyc |
He listen to what is patient have to say
in Cold Spring Harbor, NY |
I am someone who does a lot of research before making medical decisions. Dr. Zambetti's expertise, experience and reputation are sterling. Over the years I have sent 3 family members to him for knee surgery, and recently I had my own meniscus repaired by him. We were all extremely satisfied in every way with our experience. When I had follow-up questions, Dr. Zambetti was extremely responsive - he is an active listener who demonstrates not only expertise but empathy. He is the best of the best!
in New York, NY |
I have been seeing Dr. Zambetti for 8 years--two successful arthroscopic knee surgeries and regularly for Synvisc injections plus related injuries and pains. His advice is always right on the mark, his knowledge extensive, his level of care and expertise is superb. His staff is friendly and efficient.
in Bronx, NY |
One of the best doctors that my mom has been ever seen. Have been told by other doctor that there was no way for her to be able to walk without walker, my mom turned to doctor Zambetti for advice. As a result, she still walk on her own and is not home bound. He is the excellent doctor.
White Plains, NY |
The doctor was very knowledgeable and professional. He did my surgery quickly and got me on the road to recovery immediately. I highly recommend him!
Have you seen Dr. George Zambetti Jr, MD?
Are you Dr. Zambetti Jr?