Dr. George Tipton Jr, MD

Dr. George Tipton Jr, MD

Orthopedic Surgery | Male

My father was my inspiration to become a physician. His sense of duty to his nation and our community instilled in me the desire to go into medicine. He had served our country as a surgeon in WWII and served the Austin community in numerous ways. He and Mom encouraged my sister and I to go beyond college and obtain post-graduate degrees.

The son of a surgeon, I was born in the original Seton Hospital and grew up in Austin, Texas. I'm an orthopedic spine surgeon and have been in practice since 1983. I founded the Spine and Rehabilitation Center in 1994 and have been in the Seton Healthcare Family since 2011.

Dr. Tipton Jr's Experience

See how Dr. Tipton Jr's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Tipton Jr

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Tipton Jr has admitting privileges.

Dr. Tipton Jr's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Tipton Jr to family and friends
    4.1
    Dr. Tipton Jr's Performance
    in Austin, TX |
    Initially gave 5 stars based on squeezing me in for an emergency appointment. Dr did not meet with me before or after surgery as he promised. I was treated as a checklist in the follow-up appts after surgery. He did not listen to me as a patient and instead kept restating the same things over and over with "typical patients" and never seemed to remember anything I said. Did not review followup mri results. Office consistently does not return phone calls. I will NOT be returning to this dr.
    in Round Rock, TX |
    I've had three spine surgeries in 20 years with Dr. Tipton. All surgeries were warranted and this belief comes with working judiciously with Dr. Tipton to confirm the surgery need. His approach starts with anything but surgery until the appropriate options are exhausted then surgery only after he's confident he can affect the desired outcome. I'm so confident in him that I'll let no one else operate on my spine. Very high recommendatoins.
    in Leander, TX |
    Dr. Tipton has been my back surgeon since 2011. He has operated on my back 2 times and now it looks like I'm headed for a 3rd. I have the utmost confidence in Dr. Tipton and his experience. Additionally, the staff at his main office has always been very supportive and helpful (Stephanie was awesome!!!). I cannot endorse Dr. Tipton and the staff enough!!
    in Pflugerville, TX |
    I found Dr. Tipton to be rude and condescending. I was in the exam room and needed to go to the restroom and walked out of the exam room and Dr. Tipton asked, Can I help you? like I wasn't supposed to be there when I am already wearing a hospital gown. In the exam room as he was explaining my options, I asked a question about the procedure. He then asked me in a rude tone, Do you want to ask questions, or can I finish. I don't know why people call him Buddy. He was not a Buddy to me.
    Have you seen Dr. George Tipton Jr, MD?
    Are you Dr. Tipton Jr?

Dr. Tipton Jr's Care Philosophy

Dr. Tipton Jr says...

In my practice of spine surgery, I've recognized the need for nonsurgical spine care. In the 1990's there were few physicians who specialized in nonsurgical treatment, but by 1994 I found like-minded doctors and a physical therapist who delivered high-quality, conservative care. We launched a pilot project with a large group of primary care physicians and a well-known insurance carrier, demonstrating that appropriate care with good outcomes could be delivered in a manner that conserved important resources. I have participated in two research papers.

1. Surgical treatment of adult low back
    2. Low back pain treatment without surgery
    3. Microsurgery
    4. Pinched nerve treatment with laminectomy
    5. Pinched nerve treatment with discectomy
    6. Spinal fusion for low back pain

Dr. Tipton Jr's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery
    •  Board certified in General Surgery and Orthopedic Surgery

Dr. Tipton Jr has no media or publications listed.

Why It Matters: Dr. Tipton Jr's Board Certifications

• General Surgery

• Achilles Tendinitis
    • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
    • Osteoarthritis of Hip and Thigh

John Sealy Hosp

Completed in 1939

John Sealy Hosp

Completed in 1949

Dr. Tipton Jr does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Tipton Jr and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
    • Epidural Block, Facet Blocks
    • Herniated Disc Surgery
    • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
    • Myofascial Trigger Point Injection