Dr. G K. Gillian, MD

Dr. G K. Gillian, MD

General Surgery | Male | 50 years old

29 reviews| Leave a review
You've got options
Here's a few other providers to consider
Filter Your Results

"Minimally Invasive... Maximum Benefit" We have often been told that we are " not like other surgical practices". I think that is unfortunate for many reasons. We know surgery is serious and a source of great anxiety for many of our patients. Consequently we try to spend as much time as is necessary to EDUCATE our patients about their condition and options. Despite all the advantages of consults with Dr. Google or WebMD most patients really don't understand their disease as well as they thing they do. We feel that the better you understand the problem the better patient you will be in the long term because we can communicate with you better before,during and after surgery. EVERYONE in my office from the front desk to the clinicians understand your problem in great depth and can help you when you have questions. Even the "dumb" ones. - Dr Gillian. Please see the our web site for details and view the Youtube and Google video links on our site.Read more

Personal Bio

Dr. Gillian's Experience

See how Dr. Gillian's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Gillian

Dr. Gillian accepts 14 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Gillian has admitting privileges.

Dr. Gillian's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Gillian to family and friends
Dr. Gillian's Performance
in Alexandria, VA |
I seen Dr. Gillian for an umbilical hernia repair. The doctor and staff were very helpful in scheduling the surgery. A few days after surgery I had terrible gas pains. I called the office and Carol told me several remedies to try and what other patients said worked for them. the things that worked for me were fennel tea several times a day, also took charco caps before eating. I would recommend Dr. Gillian and staff very highly !!!
As you have noticed there is more to a surgical practice than scalpels and suture. No matter the amount of preparation and research that may go into a patients decision to proceed with a surgery/surgeon things outside the box do come up. That is when having an office staff that is also experienced becomes invaluable. I know I have the best staff in the area and now you know why. Dr G
Chantilly, VA |
I was very happy with Dr. Gillian at my appointment and the test I had at Alexandria Hospital. However I would have liked him or someone on his staff to have called me with the results of the test, so that I have a little information before I see him again in a week or two. His staff are great and he gave us a lot of information at our first visit. The staff at the Hospital were very polite and informative too so I have no complaints other than the fact that I would have liked to have known the
Although I set up and run the Heartburn Center at Alexandria Hospital it is actually NOT part of my private practice. I provide the expertise to interpret the studies done there for my patients and patients referred in from all over the region. The studies performed in the Heartburn Center are too complicated for my staff to explain on the phone. It is not that they don't want to they are just too technical. In fact, I have to call referring doctors to explain how to interpret the results.
in Lorton, VA |
Dr. Gillian provided first rate treatment and care to me in removing a large cyst from the back of my head. From initial evaluation to follow up after surgery, he carefully explained everything and patiently answered my questions. I had virtually no pain after the surgery. His professional but easygoing manner was reassuring. In addition, all of the healthcare professionals and administrative staff at the Virginia Heartburn & Hernia Institute and Harbor Heights Surgery Center were top-notch!
We are very happy that you enjoyed (probably not the right word) your experience. Our Harbor Heights Surgery Center team is fantastic and I really enjoy working there. It is great because we hand pick our team there so you get the top OR and recovery nurses in the area.
in Chesapeake, VA |
Life changing is a good way to start this review. Dr. Gillian implanted a LINX device in me to correct severe reflux. I had been suffering from this condition for over 20 years. The surgery has completely corrected my problems! It is remarkable to feel normal again and to be able to live a normal life. Dr. Gillian is kind, thoughtful and makes you feel like you are his only patient. His office is clean and comfortable. His staff is amazing, kind and friendly. Fantastic experience all around!
Thank you for the kind words. We were the first LINX center in the DC/NVA area and did the first implant in the region. We are also the only training center on the East Coast for surgeons to learn the procedure so we take a lot of pride in being the most experienced LINX team on the East Coast.
in Springfield, VA |
Dr. Gillian, and his associates, honestly changed my life. I had suffered with severe GIRD for many years and had an major, undiscovered (three inch) hiatal hernia. His laparoscopic surgery was extensive, but it has literally: (a) made me feel decades younger and healthier; (b) enabeled me to eat anything (no more carefully assessing the "least heartburn" options for every meal); and (c) increased my energy-level and my zest-for-life to what I enjoyed in my mid-forties.
Hearing stories like yours is why we work so hard. I have been told that we are actually the busiest center for anti-reflux procedures on the East Coast. We regularly do more than 200 surgeries a year for this condition. More than 2000 since 1998. No lack of people with Heartburn in the DC area so I suspect we are going to stay busy a long time.
in Washington, DC |
I have lots of faith and confidence in Dr. Gillian. Surgery done 6 years ago went well, had to see Him again and I know He'll make it right??
in Alexandria, VA |
Excellent surgeon and staff. Dr. Gillian performed a procedure for me a couple of years ago and I am returning to have him take care of a hernia.
Thanks for the Kind Words. Surgery is never something to take lightly and I appreciate that we earned your confidence.
in Ft Belvoir, VA |
We saw 3 different surgeons in the area about my husbands pain. We got three different answers and no one seemed comfortable treating him. I heard about Dr. Gillian from a friend who had had surgery with him for reflux. He told me Dr. Gillian had been a trainer for hernia repairs too so if figured we ha nothing to loose. Wow big difference. His staff is fantastic and he took time to listen and examine my husband in a way no one else had. That is probably why his pain and hernia are gone.
in Alexandria, VA |
Dr. Gillian has such a warm, personable doctor-patient manner. He makes you feel that he is sincere about your treatment and concerns. Although he could not help me with my condition, he did not brush me off. He exhausted all treatment possibilities.
We do often find a lot of confusion with people who come to our office. They have often been "failing to respond" to prior therapies because they were on the wrong path. Sometimes a different perspective gets folks on the corrected path to getting healthier.
in Alexandria, VA |
Dr. Gillian is not only an excellent and experienced surgeon, he is also a very down-to-earth and friendly doctor. He takes time to listen to your needs and answer your questions. He explains things in a manner that you can fully understand. Before you leave his office, he makes sure you don't have any doubts or questions/concerns that have not been addressed. I would highly recommend Dr. Gillian.
in Alexandria, VA |
Dr. Gillian is an excellent surgeon and has an awesome staff, highly recommend.
in Lorton, VA |
Dr. Gillian & staff were amazing. I have had debilitating health for the past 2.5 years and after successful surgery with Dr. Gillian, I feel like a new woman with a new outlook on life! He's patient, thoughtful and to the point with the facts. One of my favorite doctors this year and I've been to MANY!!
Sorry it took me awhile to see this. Too busy fixing folks up I guess. Glad to hear our efforts ( yours and mine) were successful!
Have you seen Dr. G K. Gillian, MD?

Compare Dr. Gillian

Dr. Gillian says...

His expertise has resulted in Dr. Gillian becoming a common fixture on the national lecture circuit for surgeon training and at times a featured speaker on the international stage. In the past he has been an invited speaker and trainer in England, Germany, China, Taipei and South Korea. He has facilitated the hands on training and proctoring of surgeons in other specialties like Urology, Ob/Gyn and Cardiothoracic surgery as well. Conference or lecture topics in the past by Dr. Gillian have included a wide variety of laparoscopic surgical subjects including: inguinal hernias, incisional hernias, sports hernias, chronic groin pain, cholecystectomy (gallbladder), solid organ surgery, adrenalectomy, splenectomy, colon resection for benign and malignant disease, hand-assisted surgery, exploration for chronic abdominal pain, hiatal hernia repair, and Nissen fundoplication for reflux. The motivation for these teaching events has been to further spread the humanistic benefits of laparoscopic surgical techniques to surgeons in a variety of fields and to make it a safer and more comfortable experience for the patients in our care.

Dr. Gillian's Care Philosophy

"Minimally Invasive... Maximum Benefit"

We have often been told that we are " not like other surgical practices".  I think that is unfortunate for many reasons.  We know surgery is serious and a source of great anxiety for many of our patients. Consequently we try to spend as much time as is necessary to EDUCATE our patients about their condition and options.  Despite all the advantages of consults with Dr. Google or WebMD most patients really don't understand their disease as well as they thing they do.  We feel that the better you understand the problem the better patient you will be in the long term because we can communicate with you better before,during and after surgery.  EVERYONE in my office from the front desk to the clinicians understand your problem  in great depth and can help you when you have questions. Even the "dumb" ones.  - Dr Gillian.

Please see the  our web site for details  and view the Youtube and Google video links on our site.

Dr. Gillian says...

Dr. Gillian is experienced and proficient in all areas of laparoscopic surgery but he maintains a particularly strong focus on the evaluation and management of patients with hernia issues and gastroesophageal reflux disease. His techniques and experience in laparoscopic abdominal and inguinal hernia repair are well known nationally and it is not unusual to have visiting surgeons in his OR to learn his techniques many times a year.  In fact he often gets referrals from regional surgeons to evaluate patients due to his expertise in this complex and evolving field. He has established and directed several Heartburn Centers in the region in the last two decades and currently runs the Heartburn Center at INOVA Alexandria Hospital. Here he facilitates the evaluation of patients with heartburn, swallowing disorders and unexplained chest pain of both his patients and those referred from other Surgeons, Gastroenterologists, Cardiologists, Pulmonologists, ENTs and Primary Care physicians.

Dr. Gillian says...

Dr. Gillian has performed more than 2000  laparoscopic procedures for control of GERD, Hiatal and  Paraesophageal hernia repairs.  His Heartburn Centers regularly perform >500 24hr ph and motility tests per year to help evaluate patients with heartburn and swallowing problems. He was the first surgeon in the Virginia/DC region to perform the LINX procedure and he continues to be the leading LINX implant surgeon on the East Coast.

Dr. Gillian has been a surgeon trainer for laparoscopic hernia repairs since 1998.  Areas of expertise include: inguinal hernia, sports hernia, umbilical hernias, ventral hernia, incisional hernia, parastomal hernia and chronic pain after prior hernia repairs. Large reconstructive repairs like component separation are offered for complex situations.

Other  laparoscopic procedures include: removal of gallbladder, lysis of adhesions for chronic pain and bowel obstruction, adrenalectomy, heller myotomy for achalasia, splenectomy, colon surgery.

Dr. Gillian's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in General Surgery
  •  Board certified in General Surgery

Dr. Gillian has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for Virginia.

Why It Matters: Dr. Gillian's Board Certifications

• Esophageal Cancer
  • Esophageal Diseases
  • Esophageal Fistula
  • Gallstones
  • Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
  • Gastroparesis

St Josephs Hospital and Medical Center

Completed in 1999

University Of Missouri / Columbia Campus

Graduated in 1988

Dr. Gillian does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Gillian and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• General Surgery

• Hernia Repair
  • Incisional Hernia Repair, Laparoscopic
  • Inguinal Hernia Repair, Laparoscopic
  • Inguinal Hernia Repair, Open
  • Intestinal Transplant (incl. Enterectomy)
  • Joint Fusion
  • LINX® Reflux Management System
  • Laparoscopic Anti-Reflux Surgery
  • Laparoscopic Diaphragmatic or Paraesophageal Hernia Repair With Robotic Assistance
  • Laparoscopic Sigmoidectomy With Robotic Assistance