Orthopedic Surgery  |
Dr. Geoffrey Higgs, MD
Dr. Geoffrey Higgs, MD is an orthopedic surgery doctor who practices in Midlothian, VA. He is 57 years old and has been practicing for 29 years. Dr. Higgs is affiliated with Bon Secours - St. Mary's Hospital, Henrico Doctors' Hospital and Bon Secours - St. Francis Medical Center.

13801 St Francis Blvd # 605

Midlothian, VA 23114

• Optima Health
  • Virginia Health Network
  • Worker's Compensation

Learn about Dr. Higgs

See how frequently Dr. Higgs performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Shoulder Impingement Syndrome
Adhesive Capsulitis
Shoulder Tendinitis and Tenosynovitis

Dr. Higgs's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Higgs "Dr. Higgs has an extensive background in sports medicine, shoulder surgery and knee surgery. He is Fellowship Trained and Subspecialty Certified in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery. In treating athletic injuries, Dr. Higgs takes a comprehensive and compassionate approach to the evaluation, diagnosis and the treatment of the athlete using state-of-the-art reconstructive methods that include both nonsurgical and surgical techniques. In addition to the athlete, Dr. Higgs treats injuries sustained to the shoulder, elbow, knee and ankle in all patients. His areas of expertise include: complex shoulder reconstruction for rotator cuff injury, shoulder instability, acute traumatic shoulder injury and shoulder arthritis, knee ligament reconstruction, knee cartilage restoration, knee arthritis in the young adult, traumatic knee injuries, acute treatment of sports medicine injuries and advanced arthroscopic techniques."

• Adult Orthopedic Surgery

• Chondrocalcinosis
  • Clavicle Fracture
  • Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • Elbow Sprain
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Foot Sprain
  • Internal Derangement of Knee
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Sprain
  • Lateral Collateral Ligament (LCL) Sprain
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) Sprain

• Rotator Cuff Surgery
  • Shoulder Fracture Treatment
  • Shoulder Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate

No malpractice history found for Virginia.

• University of Virginia, BS Systems Engineering
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1983
  • Columbia University - College of Physicians And Surgeons
    Medical School | Graduated 1988
  • Columbia University / Presbyterian Hospital - General Surgery Internship
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1989
  • Columbia University / Presbyterian Hospital - Orthopaedic Surgery
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1994
  • Harvard University / Massachusetts General Hospital - Fellowship - Sports Medicine and Shoulder Surgery
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1999
  • Traveling Shoulder Fellowship
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1997
  • University of California San Diego - Fellowship Orthopaedic Research
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1990

Dr. Higgs has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Higgs does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Higgs and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Higgs' Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Higgs to family and friends
4.3
Dr. Higgs' Performance
in Richmond, VA |
No worry is absolutely number one ortho doctor have fixed my left shoulder and I will not let any one else to touch my shoulder you will be in good hand also fixed my wife left knee
in Midlothian, VA |
Dr. Higgs oversaw my recovery from surgery after my previous physician left the practice. I repeated reported on-going pain, to which I was repeatedly told it was "scar tissue". 6 months after my latest appointment, I'm unable to engage in physical activity again, and the hip feels like the original injury. To make the experience worse, I scheduled each appointment with the expectation that I wouldn't be seen for 45+ minutes after the appointment time.
in Richmond, VA |
Awful doesn't know what he is doing on shoulders. I have to have one he put in taken out and replaced
in Chester, VA |
Dr. Higgs came highly recommended to me by a former patient. He could say enough about what's great doctor he was and how great his experience was. I can say the same. I hope the patients in his new practice enjoy his expertise.
Richmond, VA |
I truly appreciate all the help Dr. Higgs gave me in saving me from having to replace my knee. His expertise and charming patient to doctor interaction and quality of service was what made me refer 2 other patients to him who were both very pleased with his services. I am so disappointed that he has chosen to leave his practice in Midlothian, VA. But I wish him the best wherever he decides to practice.
in Powhatan, VA |
I saw Dr. Higgs for an ACL tear with hamstring graft. Not only did the surgery go well, but I had a fast recovery. A very well thought out therapy that got me back on my feet in no time. I am 8+ months post op and I'm back to running and doing all of my regular activities. Not only did I have a great experience with a surgery, Dr. Higgs was very thoughtful and answered every question. Always taking the time to be thorough. He will be missed very much in our area!
Richmond, VA |
I have had an amazing experience with Dr. Higgs. He has operated on my left and right shoulders and completed my post-op care for my left and right hips. I have reached 100% recovery on all four joints because of Dr. Higgs's knowledge and expertise. I would absolutely recommend him as a doctor as he cares so much for all of his patients and is the best out there.
in Richmond, VA |
My opinion of Dr.HIggs is very high. I think he did a wonderful job with my knee surgery, & he treated me like a friend. Ill be thankful the rest of my life.I felt good when another knee specialist looked at my knee x-rays and all other records. He said that dr.higgs did a wonderful job on the implants in my knee.
in Midlothian, VA |
He an excellent doctor. He cares about his patients. I have gone to him since he came to Virginia.
in Glen Allen, VA |
I had a frozen rotator cuff. Dr. Higgs is great! Did Physical therapy for about 6 months. During which he followed my progress. Eventually had surgery. Went well. Great , friendly doctor!
in Richmond, VA |
My husband was in an accident 09/2016 & because of other health issues we have a hard time finding a physicians that will treat him. Dr. Higgs my husband who needed shoulder surgery. We explained his other health issues & Dr. Higgs said that he was not worried & we would just work through it. It took my husband longer to heal because of other issues but Dr. Higgs just kept reassuring us & his should healed perfectly. He is an excellent doctor that provides you with the patients & understanding
in Richmond, VA |
Very pleased with the surgery Dr. Higgs performed on my right shoulder in 2004 and my left shoulder in Jan 2016. No complications after either surgery. Dr. Higgs was very thorough in explaining the procedures in terms I could easily understand. The follow-up care was exceptional. I found Dr. Higgs to be personable and extremely competent and talented in orthopedic sugery.
in Chesterfield, VA |
Dr. Higgs is a true professional dedicated to his profession. He has a great bedside personalty which makes him easy to talk to. He explains my medical condition in easy to understand terms. He takes the time to make sure I understand what medical condition I have and what I need to do improve myself. Dr. Higgs is moving to Dallas, Texas and I am disappointed that I will be losing a GREAT Physician. Whoever is getting him will be getting a fantastic doctor and person. God Bless Dr. Higgs.
in Richmond, VA |
I have been a patient of Dr. Higgs for 6 years. He is an excellent surgeon and very personable. Dr. Higgs cares for his patients and to him you are not just a number. - P. Crawley
in Petersburg, VA |
I began going to Dr Higgs in November 2015 with a shoulder injury I had for years. I had been treated by several doctors but he was the only one I received results from (surgery). Dr Higgs is an excellent listener and asks a lot of key questions to give him an overall view of your problem. He pretty much diagnosed my shoulder before he xrayed it. He completely one me over when he walked over and placed his thumb into two of my trigger points, as if he'd seen me before. He's an Excellent Dr!!!
in Richmond, VA |
I have been very pleased with the results of treatment from Dr. Higgs. When I first went to him in 2014 I was afraid I would need a knee replacement. With nonsurgical treatment there has been almost no pain in my knee and no need for surgery. He has always been such a pleasant and caring person.
in Glen Allen, VA |
Vert knowledgable, great bed side manor, and friendly. Dr. Higgs did my shoulder surgery 4 years ago for a torn labrum and it still feels great to this day.
in Richmond, VA |
I was referred to Dr. Higgs by my chiropractor. I've been experiencing knee pain for years and finally decided to do something about it. Dr .Higgs was precise, professional and has a fantastic bed side manner. A first choice for anyone with orthopedic issues. I have been helped immensely.
in Richmond, VA |
I can not say enough good things about Dr. Higgs. He did a complete shoulder replacement on both my right and left shoulders. He is a qualified clinician, educated, experienced, rational, polite, patient and confident. He is also a good listener, reassuring, honest, compassionate, very empathetic. If you ask me to describe him in one word, I would say AMAZING!!!!!
in Chesterfield, VA |
I would highly recommend Dr. Geoffrey Higgs
in Blackstone, VA |
great Dr. done his best to explain everthing that was going on. called to check up on me after surgey Worked long and hard to get my hip better.
in Henrico County, VA |
Dr. Higgs performed surgery on my torn ACL and a tear in my shoulder. Any issues that I may have had, Dr. Higgs and his staff were easily accessible. I had no trouble getting in for a last minute appointment. Multiple members of my family have been going to Dr. Higgs for nearly 15 years! I couldn't imagine having another surgeon cutting me until I have at least seen Dr. Higgs.
in Midlothian, VA |
Dr. Higgs is very knowledgeable and accurately diagnosed my knee injury before my MRI. Surgery was quick a downtime was shorter than expected.
in Richmond, VA |
I was sent to Dr. Higgs in 2001 for a second opinion. I can truly say that I thank God that I landed in his office. Dr. Higgs is an excellent surgeon. He has always took the time to listen to all of my concerns and after his examination he would explain in details what type of issues I had going on. I have referred many family and friends to Dr. Higgs and they all say he is an awesome physician and I agree.
in Richmond, VA |
Dr. Higgs performed Rotator cuff surgery on my shoulder 9 years ago. It has done wonderful -- no problems. He performed knee surgery this past February for meniscus tears/arthritis. Again it has recovered very well -- no problems. I have been very happy with his treatment! He is very caring/attentive and I feel he is a top doctor in his area. I highly recommend him. We are just sorry to be losing him to our area!
in Chester, VA |
Dr. Higgs treated me for a broken knee cap Dec 2012 - Jul 2013. He was very thorough in answering all questions about my injury and the treatment plan with me.
in Henrico, VA |
Did a poor surgery on my shoulder. Came back for a consult in January he didn't take an xray, gave me a prescription for anti inflammatory, told me to come back in a month, then he sent me for a MRI, came back two weeks later and he said he was in flux and to hang in there and he'd call me in a couple of weeks to decide what to do.
in Midlothian |
He was consistently kind and helpful. Surgery on my shoulder resulted in diminished pain and improved functionality. When I needed an emergency appointment time was found that very day to see me and begin resolution of problem.
in Richmond, VA |
I did not like how we were treated after Dr. Higgs and his staff were paid. Dr.Higgs has a big ego and I'm not impressed. I had to go to court over a doctors bill, this is the first time in my life that I have ever had to go to court over a bill. The service that Dr. Higgs preformed FAILED on my son knee and he had to have another ACL surgery. He staff would not return my calls in a timely manner. Very very dissatisfied.
in Henrico, VA |
Dr. Higgs is an excellent Doctor. He is very thorough in his diagnosis, compassionate, and shows good bedside manner. He really want you to be well. I also see that he really loves what he does. he is very approachable and knowledgeable of his field of Orthopedic Medicine. I am blessed to have him serve me
Have you seen Dr. Geoffrey Higgs, MD?
Are you Dr. Higgs?