Dr. Geetanjali Akerkar, MD

Dr. Akerkar
Telehealth services available

Digestive Health Specialists PC

4 Meeting House Rd Chelmsford, MA 01824

Dr. Geetanjali Akerkar, MD is a Gastroenterology Specialist in Chelmsford, MA and has over 28 years of experience in the medical field. Dr. Akerkar has more experience with Esophageal Disorders than other specialists in her area. She graduated from Weill Cornell Medical medical school in 1993. She is affiliated with medical facilities Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Lowell General Hospital. She is accepting new patients and has indicated that she accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Akerkar to book an appointment.

Compare Providers

Quickly compare more Gastroenterology Specialists in your area

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Offers Telehealth
  • Hospital Satisfaction

No malpractice claims found for Massachusetts

Frequently Treated by Dr. Akerkar

Based on treatment records, we have identified the following as areas of care that Dr. Akerkar treats more often than their peers. If you are unsure whether Dr. Akerkar treats other conditions, please contact the office at (978) 454-9811.

Esophageal Disorders

Esophageal disorder specialists diagnose and treat conditions affecting the esophagus, such as reflux esophagitis, indigestion, and esophageal ulcers through procedures including medication, surgery, and swallowing therapy.Compare with other Esophageal Disorders specialists.

Dr. Akerkar typically treats 62% more often than similar doctors

• Duodenal Ulcer
  • Duodenitis
  • Dysentery
  • Dysphagia
  • Endoscopy (Esophagus, Stomach, Small Intestine)
  • Enteritis
  • Gas-Bloat Syndrome
  • Gastric Ulcer
  • Gastritis
  • Gastroenterology Procedures
  • Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
  • Gastrointestinal Bleeding
  • Viral Enteritis
  • Viral Hepatitis
  • Vomiting Disorders

Dr. Akerkar accepts

Dr. Akerkar accepts the following insurance:

National (BlueCard) PPO

Dr. Akerkar's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Akerkar

4.2

Dr. Akerkar?
  • Appointment wasn't rushed (18)
  • Explained conditions well (18)
  • Listened & answered questions (18)
  • Appointment was rushed (3)
  • Didn't explain conditions well (3)
  • Didn't listen or answer questions (3)
Geetanjali Akerkar is so disrespectful. I am a single mom, with a young child (2 years of age) & cannot find proper/reliable childcare during this pandemic. I have been on an infusion medication for a year & akerkar has refused to allow me to do home infusions. There has been no reason as to why she is saying no. It clearly states under my insurance that this is a benefit they cover. Instead of working with your patients, you are working against them. Nor do you care about each person‘s individual challenges/limitations. How could you be a physician if you’re not here to help your patients. Why are you in this industry? I have now missed my infusion & still do not have a reason as why she will not allow home infusions. She can’t even give you the courtesy to call and explain her rationale. Complete disrespect. There also seems to be a lot of confusion with scheduling infusions with the daycare center at the Saints campus. Digestive health specialist will say one thing and you’ll
Dec 15, 2020
Thank you for your comment. For every patient, a...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Geetanjali Akerkar, MD?
I've been long-term (10 year) patient of Dr. Akerkar's, and she always explains things clearly and in detail for me. She takes her time when she realizes I need help understanding, and I NEVER feel rushed. She gives her warm, personal 100% every time I see her. I have the utmost confidence in her care!
PMB – Sep 16, 2020
Thank you very much. It is my pleasure to empower...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Geetanjali Akerkar, MD?
I’ve had the best experience with Dr. Akerkar. She always listens to what I have to say and explains things very clearly. I have never felt dismissed or ignored. I would recommend her to any friend and family looking for a Gastroenterologist and I will continue to see her as well!
Aug 20, 2020
Dr. Akerkar's Reply – Flag
Thank you so much for your thoughtful comment!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Geetanjali Akerkar, MD?
Friends wonder why I would drive 2 hours to see my Dr. and for a colonoscopy?? Well, the reason is Dr. Akerkar. I had my third colonoscopy yesterday and, as always, I was treated with very professional behavior by Dr. Akerkar and ALL of her staff. They worked out the logistics of the prep (ewwww) and made me feel very comfortable through the whole procedure. The ride is nothing compared to the quality care and peace of mind that Dr. Akerkar provides. It is obvious when you talk with her that she cares deeply for her patients and that she wants the best care for them. Thank you Dr. Akerkar and Staff.
Kathleen B – Jul 02, 2020
Thank you for your comment and trust and...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Geetanjali Akerkar, MD?
I have been a patient of Dr. Akerkar's for six years for several medical issues! Dr. Akerkar first is an excellent specialist in Gastroenterology. She has treated my problems with accuracy, compassion, and because of her interest and expertise, I am doing so well my next appointment is in one year! I trust Dr. Akerkar's care and judgement and her excellent listening skills and I am grateful to her for all of the above! Thank you!
Joanne Snook – Jun 16, 2020
Dr. Akerkar's Reply – Flag
Thank you for your thoughtful comments and trust.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Geetanjali Akerkar, MD?
Amazing! I have been a patient of Dr. Akerkar's for over ten years. She is compassionate and dedicated to getting to the root of the problem using sound evidence based logic. She has the most genuinely warm bedside manner. Whether you are seeing her for your mandatory colonoscopy or for a more serious health issue, you need look no further because you could not find yourself in more capable hands.
Nov 14, 2019
It has been my honor to have such long last...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Geetanjali Akerkar, MD?
I have been a patient of Dr. Akerkar for over 9 years. She really cares about me and my overall well being. She is a good listener and available when I need her. We tried treating my issues with meds and diet changes; however, as time went on, she saw that my diagnosis required a referral to a surgeon. I'm so grateful for her decision to send me to Dr. Shen. Surgery was the last resort but turned out to be the best option for me because I now have my life back! Thank you. Thank you, Dr. Akerkar! She is AMAZING, and I'm confident about sending my family and friends to her too. Sheryl from Chelmsford, MA
Sep 06, 2019
Thank you very much for your comments. It is so...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Geetanjali Akerkar, MD?
Dr. Akerkar was very friendly, accommodating, and explained everything. She was very gentle as I had it done without sedation. There was very little pain. I do not encourage other people to do so. I do it because I have adverse reactions to sedation. I would not hesitate going back to her.
Jim C – Dec 28, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Geetanjali Akerkar, MD?
I have been a patient of Dr. Akerkar's for 14 years and would absolutely recommend her! She is a very caring and informed doctor! She's always looking for new treatments for my PBC and has kept it under control for longer than the average lifespan. She takes the time to listen and you can tell she is sincerely interested in what you may have for concerns. Just a super person!
Wendy Marshall-Hudzik in Dracut, MA – May 10, 2018
Dr. Akerkar's Reply – Flag
Thank you so much for your trust in my care.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Geetanjali Akerkar, MD?
i have been a patient of dr akerkar for the past 13 yrs. i couldn't ask for a more caring, and professional doctor. my twin brother pasted away in 2005 with colon cancer,and since then i have been seeing dr akerkar every 2 yrs. her and her staff make the procedures that i need, to prevent cancer, so simple and so easy!! i highly recommend dr akerkar and her staff to anyone that appreciates a great doctor and wonderful staff.
edward dee in shirley – Apr 28, 2018
Thank you so much for your thoughtful comments...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Geetanjali Akerkar, MD?
She is thorough with an examination of your problem, spends time answering questions and explains medications needed for you.
Mary in Dracut MA – Apr 15, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Geetanjali Akerkar, MD?
Saved my Life: I had a rare and life threatening medical emergency on September 15th 2017. I'm thankful Dr. Akerkar was on call when I arrived at LGH because she immediately diagnosed my pancreatitis and was instrumental in getting me transferred to MGH where there was a surgical team that had the expertise to handle my case. I now have my good health back largely due to the excellent work of Dr. Akerkar . She is terrific. Submitted by Dr. William French DMD Chelmsford, MA.
DR. William R French DMD in Chelmsford, MA – Dec 17, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Geetanjali Akerkar, MD?
One of the greatest Physicians I have ever met.She is evidenced based and treats with a special gift for understanding patients.The only GI MD I will ever see.Amazing Physician!!!!!!
Bob in Atkinson NH – Sep 12, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Geetanjali Akerkar, MD?
The office experience was ridiculous. I tried to cancel the appointment due to having a cold, the staff said would charge 25 dollars service fee due to not calling in within 24 hours. How can I predict sickness within 24 hours? Their staff was very unfriendly and said you are sick, that is why you come to see a doctor. She is very unfrofessional.
Apr 04, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Geetanjali Akerkar, MD?
My mom was in the hospital and we were told she needed to see the doctor to decide what was the next step. Dr. Akerkar was the covering doctor. Dr. Akerkar ignored serveral pages, was on my moms floor and never came to see us. Dr. Akerkar never told the doctor that was on call my mom was in the hospital, he would have had no clue if my moms nurse didn't page him. I wouldn't let this doctor touch me even if I was dying.
Mar 27, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Geetanjali Akerkar, MD?
Dr. Akerkar is a true professional. She is kind and caring. She is very thoughtful, smart, and trustworthy. She is thorough and attentive. The office is very clean and organized. The staffs are friendly, courteous and accommodating. The waiting time is not very long unlike other office visits. I am very pleased with the service for my mother.
Kenny S. in Lowell, MA – Mar 23, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Geetanjali Akerkar, MD?
I've been a patient of Dr. Akerkar's since she started practicing in Lowell, about a decade ago now. I have Crohn's disease. An exacerbation brought me to her office. In her care, it resolved, stabilized and I've been doing well since. I see her annually and as needed in her office; as well as for colonoscopies. I recommend her to you...very highly. Clinically, she has kept me stable on meds and infusions for all this time. What more could I ask for? Simply, a fine doc, for which I'm grateful!!!
Jim Pollard in Lowell, MA – Jan 30, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Geetanjali Akerkar, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Akerkar?

My mission is to provide the best local care to my patients and the best access to tertiary centers. Because I've lived in Boston for 20 years, I have...Read more

Dr. Akerkar attended Cornell Medical College and then completed a residency at Beth Israel Medical Center in Boston in Internal Medicine. She finished...Read more

• Gastroenterology