Dr. Geetanjali Akerkar, MD

GastroenterologyFemaleAge 55

Gastroenterology

Dr. Geetanjali Akerkar, MD is a Gastroenterology Specialist in Chelmsford, MA and has over 29 years of experience in the medical field. Dr. Akerkar has extensive experience in Pancreatic Disease, Liver Disease, and Gastrointestinal Disorders. She graduated from Weill Cornell Medical medical school in 1993. She is affiliated with medical facilities Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Lowell General Hospital. Her office accepts new patients and telehealth appointments.

Dr. Geetanjali Akerkar, MD

Gastro Health

4 Meeting House Rd Chelmsford, MA 1824
Telehealth services available

Telehealth services available

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Gastroenterology Specialists in your area

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Offers Telehealth
  • Recent Reviews
    Reviews made in the last 30 days. See reviews

No malpractice claims found for Massachusetts

Frequently Treated by Dr. Akerkar

Based on treatment records, we have identified the following as areas of care that Dr. Akerkar treats more often than their peers. If you are unsure whether Dr. Akerkar treats other conditions, please contact the office at (978) 454-9811.

Pancreatic Disease

Pancreatic disease specialists diagnose and treat conditions affecting the pancreas, such as pancraetitis.Compare with other Pancreatic Disease specialists.

Dr. Akerkar is experienced in the area of Pancreatic Disease. See the graph below to learn more about her experience.

Based on claims data for 1 condition or procedure

Pancreatitis

Liver Disease

Liver disease specialists diagnose and treat conditions affecting the liver, such as hepatitis, fatty liver disease, and cirrhosis, through medications, lifestyle changes, or surgery.Compare with other Liver Disease specialists.

Dr. Akerkar is experienced in the area of Liver Disease. See the graph below to learn more about her experience.

Based on claims data for 8 conditions and procedures

Viral Hepatitis
Liver Function Test
Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
Hepatitis A Screening

Gastrointestinal Disorders

Gastrointestinal disorders specialists diagnose and treat conditions that affect the gastrointestinal tract, including Crohn's disease, ulcers, hernias, and food poisoning.Compare with other Gastrointestinal Disorders specialists.

Dr. Akerkar is experienced in the area of Gastrointestinal Disorders. See the graph below to learn more about her experience.

Based on claims data for 52 conditions and procedures

Hemorrhoids
Diverticulitis, Intestinal
Gas-Bloat Syndrome
Diverticulosis, Intestinal

Esophageal Disorders

Esophageal disorder specialists diagnose and treat conditions affecting the esophagus, such as reflux esophagitis, indigestion, and esophageal ulcers through procedures including medication, surgery, and swallowing therapy.Compare with other Esophageal Disorders specialists.

Dr. Akerkar is experienced in the area of Esophageal Disorders. See the graph below to learn more about her experience.

Based on claims data for 19 conditions and procedures

• Duodenal Ulcer
  • Duodenitis
  • Dysentery
  • Dysphagia
  • Endoscopy (Esophagus, Stomach, Small Intestine)
  • Enteritis
  • Gallstones
  • Gas-Bloat Syndrome
  • Gastric Ulcer
  • Gastritis
  • Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
  • Gastrointestinal Bleeding
  • Viral Hepatitis
  • Vomiting Disorders
  • Wireless pH Testing

Dr. Akerkar accepts

Dr. Akerkar accepts the following insurance:

Select

Dr. Akerkar's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Akerkar

4.3

Outstanding!
Dr Akerkar's assessment of my recent GI issues was spot on! With her guidance I am a much healthier version of myself. I will be forever grateful for her diagnosis and recommendations. Gut health plays a role in so many other health issues. Dr Akerkar's advice is solid! Do what she says and you won't regret it!!
Pam – Jun 28, 2022
Awesome doctor
I had a procedure done by Dr Akerkar today. She was wonderful. She made me feel so comfortable before and afterwards. She really takes an interest in all her patients and even their family members who she’s seen in the past asking about them. I would and have recommended her to many of my friends and family.
Jeannine Roy – May 16, 2022
Thank you so much! Such a pleasure taking care of...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Geetanjali Akerkar, MD?
I have been with Dr. Akerkar for several years and trust her knowledge and skills implicitly. She is very thorough, patient and extremely knowledgeable about all aspects of gastroenterology issues and the necessary treatments. She definitely listens to the patient’s concerns and answers all questions. I highly recommend her as an outstanding Gastroenterologist.
Chery – Apr 06, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Geetanjali Akerkar, MD?
Just had my third colonoscopy Akerkar, she is professional, reassuring, and genuinely passionate about the benefits of this procedure being a life saver. She is 100 % right. I watched my sister die of colon cancer, I can tell you, the day of preparation is not pleasant but the torture of undiagnosed cancer is a billion times worse and most likely deadly. Please take it very seriously, take care of yourself. Northeast Endoscopy will take good care of you.
Mar 25, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Geetanjali Akerkar, MD?
Just a year ago Dr. Akerkar sent me to the hospital and saved my life. She made sure I was in the best possible place, followed my hospital care, then my rehab care. She was always available to my family and to me. Never did I feel as though she was too busy to listen to me/us. She researched all kinds of information to help me get through ulcerative colitis to get to remission. Her staff also takes an interest in me personally as well as my medical issues and is quick to respond to my phone calls. A friendly voice on the other end of the phone or in the office is so very good. Yes, I would highly recommend Dr. Akerkar.
Susan Schiff – Feb 18, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Geetanjali Akerkar, MD?
Dr. Akerker is my GI doctor. She always shows concern for my health and makes me feel at ease during my visits. The summer 2020, I had an acute case of Pancreatitus among other issues. She was quick to refer me to a specialist team in Boston and had me seen immediately. I am very grateful for the prompt attention that I recieved and follow-up care that she continues to give me.
Tom Wolf – Feb 10, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Geetanjali Akerkar, MD?
Recently had a serious reaction to a medication dr Akerkar prescribed, took a month for her to reach out after many attempts calling her office and speaking with the staff. After 4/5 attempts she reached out. She has no sense of urgency or care in the call. Not happy.
  • Long wait times
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Jan 31, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Geetanjali Akerkar, MD?
I have been a patient of Dr. Akerkar's for the past 6 years. She is simply an amazing doctor! She is patient and compassionate. I feel like I am talking to a friend during my visits. Most importantly, she listens to you and gets to the root of the problem, and then she fixes it! I have recommended her to all of my friends and family.
Jan 22, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Geetanjali Akerkar, MD?
Geetanjali Akerkar is so disrespectful. I am a single mom, with a young child (2 years of age) & cannot find proper/reliable childcare during this pandemic. I have been on an infusion medication for a year & akerkar has refused to allow me to do home infusions. There has been no reason as to why she is saying no. It clearly states under my insurance that this is a benefit they cover. Instead of working with your patients, you are working against them. Nor do you care about each person‘s individual challenges/limitations. How could you be a physician if you’re not here to help your patients. Why are you in this industry? I have now missed my infusion & still do not have a reason as why she will not allow home infusions. She can’t even give you the courtesy to call and explain her rationale. Complete disrespect. There also seems to be a lot of confusion with scheduling infusions with the daycare center at the Saints campus. Digestive health specialist will say one thing and you’ll
Dec 15, 2020
Thank you for your comment. For every patient, a...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Geetanjali Akerkar, MD?
I've been long-term (10 year) patient of Dr. Akerkar's, and she always explains things clearly and in detail for me. She takes her time when she realizes I need help understanding, and I NEVER feel rushed. She gives her warm, personal 100% every time I see her. I have the utmost confidence in her care!
PMB – Sep 16, 2020
Thank you very much. It is my pleasure to empower...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Geetanjali Akerkar, MD?
I’ve had the best experience with Dr. Akerkar. She always listens to what I have to say and explains things very clearly. I have never felt dismissed or ignored. I would recommend her to any friend and family looking for a Gastroenterologist and I will continue to see her as well!
Aug 20, 2020
Dr. Akerkar's Reply –
Thank you so much for your thoughtful comment!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Geetanjali Akerkar, MD?
Friends wonder why I would drive 2 hours to see my Dr. and for a colonoscopy?? Well, the reason is Dr. Akerkar. I had my third colonoscopy yesterday and, as always, I was treated with very professional behavior by Dr. Akerkar and ALL of her staff. They worked out the logistics of the prep (ewwww) and made me feel very comfortable through the whole procedure. The ride is nothing compared to the quality care and peace of mind that Dr. Akerkar provides. It is obvious when you talk with her that she cares deeply for her patients and that she wants the best care for them. Thank you Dr. Akerkar and Staff.
Kathleen B – Jul 02, 2020
Thank you for your comment and trust and...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Geetanjali Akerkar, MD?
I have been a patient of Dr. Akerkar's for six years for several medical issues! Dr. Akerkar first is an excellent specialist in Gastroenterology. She has treated my problems with accuracy, compassion, and because of her interest and expertise, I am doing so well my next appointment is in one year! I trust Dr. Akerkar's care and judgement and her excellent listening skills and I am grateful to her for all of the above! Thank you!
Joanne Snook – Jun 16, 2020
Dr. Akerkar's Reply –
Thank you for your thoughtful comments and trust.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Geetanjali Akerkar, MD?
Amazing! I have been a patient of Dr. Akerkar's for over ten years. She is compassionate and dedicated to getting to the root of the problem using sound evidence based logic. She has the most genuinely warm bedside manner. Whether you are seeing her for your mandatory colonoscopy or for a more serious health issue, you need look no further because you could not find yourself in more capable hands.
Nov 14, 2019
It has been my honor to have such long last...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Geetanjali Akerkar, MD?
I have been a patient of Dr. Akerkar for over 9 years. She really cares about me and my overall well being. She is a good listener and available when I need her. We tried treating my issues with meds and diet changes; however, as time went on, she saw that my diagnosis required a referral to a surgeon. I'm so grateful for her decision to send me to Dr. Shen. Surgery was the last resort but turned out to be the best option for me because I now have my life back! Thank you. Thank you, Dr. Akerkar! She is AMAZING, and I'm confident about sending my family and friends to her too. Sheryl from Chelmsford, MA
Sep 06, 2019
Thank you very much for your comments. It is so...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Geetanjali Akerkar, MD?
Dr. Akerkar was very friendly, accommodating, and explained everything. She was very gentle as I had it done without sedation. There was very little pain. I do not encourage other people to do so. I do it because I have adverse reactions to sedation. I would not hesitate going back to her.
Jim C – Dec 28, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Geetanjali Akerkar, MD?
I have been a patient of Dr. Akerkar's for 14 years and would absolutely recommend her! She is a very caring and informed doctor! She's always looking for new treatments for my PBC and has kept it under control for longer than the average lifespan. She takes the time to listen and you can tell she is sincerely interested in what you may have for concerns. Just a super person!
Wendy Marshall-Hudzik in Dracut, MA – May 10, 2018
Dr. Akerkar's Reply –
Thank you so much for your trust in my care.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Geetanjali Akerkar, MD?
i have been a patient of dr akerkar for the past 13 yrs. i couldn't ask for a more caring, and professional doctor. my twin brother pasted away in 2005 with colon cancer,and since then i have been seeing dr akerkar every 2 yrs. her and her staff make the procedures that i need, to prevent cancer, so simple and so easy!! i highly recommend dr akerkar and her staff to anyone that appreciates a great doctor and wonderful staff.
edward dee in shirley – Apr 28, 2018
Thank you so much for your thoughtful comments...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Geetanjali Akerkar, MD?
She is thorough with an examination of your problem, spends time answering questions and explains medications needed for you.
Mary in Dracut MA – Apr 15, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Geetanjali Akerkar, MD?
Saved my Life: I had a rare and life threatening medical emergency on September 15th 2017. I'm thankful Dr. Akerkar was on call when I arrived at LGH because she immediately diagnosed my pancreatitis and was instrumental in getting me transferred to MGH where there was a surgical team that had the expertise to handle my case. I now have my good health back largely due to the excellent work of Dr. Akerkar . She is terrific. Submitted by Dr. William French DMD Chelmsford, MA.
DR. William R French DMD in Chelmsford, MA – Dec 17, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Geetanjali Akerkar, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Akerkar?