Dr. Gary Newsom, MD

PsychiatryMaleAge 70

Psychiatry

Dr. Gary Newsom, MD is a Psychiatry Specialist in Tuscaloosa, AL and has over 45 years of experience in the medical field. Dr. Newsom has extensive experience in Psychotic Disorders and Addiction & Substance Abuse. He graduated from UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS MEDICAL BRANCH / SAHS in 1978. He is affiliated with Dch Regional Medical Center. His office is not accepting new patients.

Dr. Gary Newsom, MD

University Internal Medicine PC

701 University Blvd E Ste 204 Tuscaloosa, AL 35401
Telehealth services available

Telehealth services available
  • Offers Telehealth
  • Quiet Hospital
    Patients said the hospital this doctor practices at is quiet. See hospitals

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for Alabama

Frequently Treated by Dr. Newsom

Based on treatment records, we have identified the following as areas of care that Dr. Newsom treats more often than their peers. If you are unsure whether Dr. Newsom treats other conditions, please contact the office at (205) 553-9127.

Psychotic Disorders

Psychotic disorders specialists diagnose and treat conditions that cause severe mental symptoms and disconnection from reality, such as schizophrenia, delusional disorder, and substance-induced psychosis.Compare with other Psychotic Disorders specialists.

Dr. Newsom is experienced in the area of Psychotic Disorders. See the graph below to learn more about his experience.

Based on claims data for 9 conditions and procedures

Normal
High
Very High

Addiction & Substance Abuse

Addiction and substance abuse specialists diagnose and treat people who have become physically dependent or addicted to drugs and alcohol through treatments including counseling, detoxifcation, inpatient rehabilitation, and medication.Compare with other Addiction & Substance Abuse specialists.

Dr. Newsom is experienced in the area of Addiction & Substance Abuse. See the graph below to learn more about his experience.

Based on claims data for 23 conditions and procedures

• Alcohol Misuse Screening and Counseling
  • Alcohol or Substance Misuse Screening and Counseling
  • Alcohol Withdrawal
  • Alcohol-Induced Mental Disorders
  • Alcoholism (Alcohol Dependence)
  • Amphetamine and Other Psychostimulant Dependence
  • Antisocial Personality Disorder
  • Autism
  • Bipolar Disorder
  • Borderline Personality Disorder
  • Cocaine Addiction
  • Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
  • Conduct Disorder
  • Cyclothymia (Chronic Mood Disorder)
  • Delusional Disorder
  • Dementia or Depression Screening
  • Developmental and Learning Disorders
  • Drug and Alcohol Dependence
  • Drug Withdrawal
  • Drug-Induced Mental Disorders
  • Dysthymia (Chronic Depression)
  • Dysthymia and Cyclothymia (Mood Disorders)
  • Emotional Disturbances of Childhood and Adolescence
  • Nondependent Drug and Alcohol Abuse
  • Nondependent Marijuana Abuse
  • Nondependent Opioid Abuse
  • Nondependent Sedative, Hypnotic, or Anxiolytic Abuse
  • Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
  • Opioid Dependence
  • Personality Disorders
  • Phobia
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
  • Psychiatric Evaluation
  • Psychiatric Medication Therapy
  • Psychogenic Disorders (incl. Psychogenic Pain)
  • Psychological Evaluation
  • Psychological Evaluations Prior to Bariatric Surgery
  • Psychosis
  • Psychosis Due to Mental Illness
  • Psychotherapy and Psychophysiological Therapy (incl. Biofeedback)
  • Schizoaffective Disorder
  • Schizophrenia
  • Schizophreniform and Schizoaffective Disorder
  • Sedative, Hypnotic, or Anxiolytic Dependence
  • Speech, Language and Learning Disorders
  • Suicidal Ideation
  • Tobacco Use Disorder
  • Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS)

Dr. Newsom accepts

Dr. Newsom accepts the following insurance:

National (BlueCard) PPO
HealthyBlue 2.0
HealthyBlue Advantage

Dr. Newsom's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Newsom

2.6

I'm grateful for Dr. Newsome's care and attentiveness while I was in the hospital, but his treatment was awful afterwards. Great in crisis, absolutely horrible in recovery. He would show up at least 2-3 hours late to appointments. There was never an apology or even acknowledgement of this. In fact, he defended that behavior. It always felt like his time was more valuable than mine. And it would take days to reach him. He was my psychiatrist during my recovery of a manic episode and told me I shouldn't tell anyone about it, which only made me feel worse. Aren't mental health professionals supposed to help break the stigma, not encourage it? He was so unreachable that I didn't even bother telling him I was going to switch to a new psychiatrist. That was a year and a half ago. Never heard from him again.
Feb 06, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gary Newsom, MD?
If you're lucky enough to see this take what I'm saying and please understand that I'm being 100 percent honest. This doctor took my life from me. He had me on 13 different medications. I could not walk, I could not hold any food down. I literally couldn't see straight. He would keep me in North Harbor 30 plus days on end and manipulate me into thinking he was 'helping' me. I came to a breaking point and called the ambulance on myself. The police & EMTs showed up and they all realized I was getting zero help from being under his care. 3 years ago I was taken to St. Vincent's East and my life changed. They told me I was over medicated (obviously) and now I'm on 2 medications. I work Mon-Friday have maintained a great relationship. I'm so proud of myself. But resent this man. He knew what he was doing and I'm convinced he tried ruining me purposely. To gain what you ask? Control. Do not go to this Doctor. I pray he retires soon
  • Didn't explain conditions well
Jun 08, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gary Newsom, MD?
I just want to say that I'm shocked by some of these reviews. I firmly believe that some patients tend to blame the doctor for things that are out of the doctor's control. You have to do your part as a patient in order to have success and improvement in your health. Dr. Gary Newsom is one of the finest doctors I've ever had to care for me, and I have had many. He takes time to listen to his patients and genuinely cares about their health and quality of life. Before I started seeing Dr. Newsom I really didn't have much hope for my future, to be honest, but after I'd been seeing him for a while I started making plans again.
Kristi Sanford – Feb 23, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gary Newsom, MD?
newsom - Is a leader in the Era of Mindless Psychiatry. He does not use proper testing procedures to make a diagnosis. newsom - Is a danger to his patients.
Joe T Berry – Dec 12, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gary Newsom, MD?
Will the person who left the Sept 2019 review please contact me!! Shawnarn4@hotmail.com My mother's mental decline started when she began seeing him. Severely overmedicated. She could barely function. I warned him. He ignored me and continued to give her harmful meds. She took her own life Aug 31 2019.
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
Oct 30, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gary Newsom, MD?
This doctor is a monster who ruined my life for 5 years. I was overly medicated to the point of seeing & hearing things, I normally did not do that. I lost myself under all the medications he prescribed me and was manipulated to think it was working. I have a new doctor now and I'm not on any pills only an injection and I'm doing better than ever. If you value your health and mentality do not go to this doctor.
Sep 27, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gary Newsom, MD?
Always a no show to scheduled appointments. He will spend time listening to you talk with absolutely no feedback. He will prescribe you with whatever you want. Great for prescription drug addicts! In general he will come across like he cares. Who knows if it is genuine. You could do worse. Not much to choose from in Tuscaloosa County. What will be more helpful are access to support groups. Doctors are to busy and can’t be bothered. Good luck. It’s a crap shoot.
  • Staff wasn't friendly
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
Aug 11, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gary Newsom, MD?
Dr. Gary Newsome is an excellent psychiatrist who listens and tries very hard to help you.I highly recommend Dr. Newsome to anyone that has mild to severe depression, anxiety, panic attacks, bipolar, schizophrenia, etc Dr. Newsome keeps up.to date on all medications so you can feel better. Give him a try, YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT& NOT A WASTE OF TIME EITHER!!
  • Staff wasn't friendly
Munford, AL – Feb 07, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gary Newsom, MD?
Dr. Newsom has treating me for 20 years. I have never had someone take some much time to discuss any question or concerns I may have about my health. He has always gone above and beyond to give me the care I need, encourage healthy eating, and working with my GP on what medications work best for me.
Tuscaloosa, AL – Jan 05, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gary Newsom, MD?
Kind, fair and puts genuine time into his sessions
Feb 29, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Gary Newsom, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Newsom?