Sports Medicine  |
Dr. Gary Chimes, MD
Dr. Gary Chimes, MD is a sports medicine doctor who practices in Bellevue, WA. He is 44 years old and has been practicing for 15 years. Dr. Chimes is affiliated with Overlake Medical Center.

Gary Chimes

1600 116th Ave NE Ste 206

Bellevue, WA 98004

• Regence Blue Cross Blue Shield

Learn about Dr. Chimes

My primary role is an academic physician who specializes in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. The main things that interest me are: 1. Helping people exercise throughout their lifetimes 2. The use of exercise as the treatment for most medical conditions 3. Recognizing how different demographic factors affect the ability to exercise- in particular, examining how gender and age affect our ability to exercise 4. Improving the quality of communication between patients and their physicians 5. Helping patients become the best possible version of themselves every day

Dr. Chimes' Experience

Dr. Chimes' experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Sports Medicine

• EMG (Electromyography)
  • Epidural Block, Facet Blocks
  • Nerve Block, Somatic
  • Spinal Nerve Block

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Washington.

• State University Of New York At Stony Brook
    Medical School | Graduated 2002
  • Kessler Institute Of Rehabilitation
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2006
  • Rehabilitation Institute Of Chicago
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2007

Dr. Chimes does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Chimes and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Chimes' Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Chimes to family and friends
4.2
Dr. Chimes' Performance
in Everett, WA |
I could not be happier with the care that Dr. Chimes provided. He spent a great deal of time with me examining and then explaining my frozen shoulder problem. He provided an in the office ultrasound guided procedure that fixed my shoulder! I was scheduled for an exploratory surgery by another provider, but on the advice of my therapist I was directed to Dr. Chimes care. As a medical provider myself, I was very impressed with his care. I am now a raving fan and recommend him to all.
Bellevue, WA |
Dr. Chimes is awesome! I have been struggling with lower back pain for years after my spinal fusion surgery, and not one doctor in 5 years could tell me what the problem was. Dr. Chimes listened carefully and did the proper tests to finally give me a diagnosis, which for anyone who has struggled with chronic pain will know that not knowing what is really wrong is one of the most frustrating things. He preformed all the tests himself, which I really loved. This is the best I have felt in over 5 y
Seattle, WA |
While I believe he is a very good doctor, he is hands down the meanest doctor I've ever gone to. He's rude, condescending and he actually belittled me. All because I didn't explain my symptoms the way he wanted to hear them.
Seattle |
Dr. Chimes is a must see if you have chronic back/neck/body pain. I've had chronic pain for over a decade now and was feeling hopeless after every option was exhausted. PT, MRI's, X-rays, copious amounts of blood work, acupuncture, naturalist, chiropractic, rheumatologist, and the list goes on and on. I was about to throw in the towel until my naturopath referred me to Dr. Chimes. After thorough assessments and on-going work, I can finally say that I'm on the right path to feeling like mysel
in Bellevue, WA |
Highly recommend Dr. Chimes.  I was referred to him from another friend.  I had an extreme pain in my left shoulder that prevented me from even getting keys out of my front pocket or my wallet out of my back pocket.  Dr. Chimes spent time to carefully diagnose the problem and after thorough analysis got me out of six weeks of pain with one treatment in under 48 hours.  I've been about four weeks now with no pain in the shoulder.
Kent, WA |
I recommend Dr. Chimes and his team without any reservations! I had bilateral frozen shoulders and Dr Chimes treated me. I was in extreme pain for months prior to seeing him and was unable to do simple tasks, such as getting dressed, washing my hair, he fixed me! He and his staff are courteous, caring and very professional.
in Sammamish, WA |
I found Dr. Chimes to be rude, pretentious, and a complete waste of my time. I cannot provide much detail of the appointment in this space, but an example was he suggested giving me costly injections for an injury/issue that was yet to be diagnosed. He provided me with a list of possible diagnoses and left me to go get x-rays for a muscle pain I had in my upper back? I was charged over $300 for this visit. When I complained they did nothing at all. Very disappointed. Wouldn't go back
in Kent, WA |
Dr. Chimes is very technically sound and that is why I would recommend him to others. I have found him to be more difficult to build rapport with and even felt on one instance that he was being condescending with me rather than being patient as I attempted to answer his questions after having been sedated for a procedure.
in Bellevue, WA |
My girlfriend and I were extremely impressed. Previously I had gone to Proliance & was looking for another opinion because they weren't addressing my continuing pain or giving me options. It was as if BC I was still able to walk I was just complaining. His was extremely professional and thorough. The time I spent with Dr. Chimes was filled with relevant questions & examinations that have never been done me after going to appointments for a year at proliance. I feel completely confident in him.
Redmond, WA |
I've been to a lot of appointments over the years for my knee (two torn ACLs), and Dr. Chimes is by far my favorite doctor. I really liked that he didn't jump to any conclusions but went through different questions and gentle movements and did an ultrasound to pinpoint the problem. I also appreciated how he explained why he was doing what he did so I could follow along as he manipulated my leg and did the ultrasound. For the first time, a doctor spent 45 minutes in the room with me instead of ru
kirkland, wa |
Dr. Chimes' approach is different than most providers (differential diagnosis). This is not a bad thing, just different. I suggest you read about this before going as it can make it easier to understand his approach. Dr. Chimes said twice that my back pain was a "just a disc issue," but four different surgeons said my true problem is structural. Dr. Chimes came across to me as being arrogant and many times I felt like he thought I was not intelligent enough to understand my condition.
Bellevue, WA |
Poor assessment and communication skills. Very poor patient rapport. His agenda for the initial appointment is to see if you are a good candidate for steroid injections, period. If that's not what you are interested in getting, don't waist your time there.
in Redmond, WA |
I asked Dr Chimes to address my acute injury. His response and approach is unique in that he presented questions to me in an interview-style to collect information for diagnosis. I think it helped focus attention on the injury itself. He also collected imaging information using ultrasound that showed the condition of the major ligament and cartilage in the pain area. The information helped me move forward with decisions about therapy and near-term sporting events.
in Bellevue, WA |
My regular doctor is Dr. Garret Hyman, but last week he was out of the office and I was in severe pain, I needed to get spinal injections done sooner rather than later, Dr. Hyman's assistant, booked me with Dr. Chimes to do the procedure on Friday at 2:30 pm Friday I arrived at 2:00 pm, nothing to drink, or eat for 8 hours prior. Dr. Chimes was about 1 1/2 hour late, he did not even acknowledge that he was late, the first thing he said this is not an office visit I can't address any issues
in Bellevue, WA |
I am a runner and have recently been experiencing knee pain. I was able to get in with Dr. Chimes pretty quickly and he had a very methodical approach to diagnosing the issue by asking a series of questions, watching me run on a treadmill and by examining my knees. I have been prescribed some treatment and I left feeling very satisfied and comfortable that he really knows his stuff. I will definitely go back to him should any other issues arise. Also, the office staff was warm and welcoming.
Sammamish, WA |
Stellar brilliant diagnostician! Was mis-diagnosed for 1.5 years, until I thankfully finally happened on Dr. Chimes. Be concise and focused when responding to his questions. He might come off as brusque sometimes, but he is brilliant, and has a kind heart too.
Have you seen Dr. Gary Chimes, MD?
Are you Dr. Chimes?