Dr. Fred Mo, MD

Dr. Fred Mo, MD

Orthopedic Spine Surgery | Male

Finding solutions for my patients.

Dr. Fred Mo, MD is an orthopedic spine surgery doctor who practices in Washington, DC. He is 37 years old and has been practicing for 12 years. Dr. Mo is affiliated with Medstar Georgetown University Hospital.

Dr. Mo's Experience

See how Dr. Mo's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Mo

Dr. Mo accepts 7 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Mo has admitting privileges.

Dr. Mo's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Mo to family and friends
Dr. Mo's Performance
in Reston, VA |
Dr. Mo performed surgery on my back in October of 2016. He was very professional but also very caring. I would certainly highly recommend him to anyone.
Dr. Mo was friendly and put me at ease, but most importantly, he fixed my back! I was in pain for years before visiting Dr. Mo, and after surgery, I am in zero pain! There was some wait time to visit him but it was well worth the wait!
in Manassas, VA |
Dr. Mo, is compassionate & understanding. I saw 6 different specialists and all said the same thing. You have degenerative disk disease, nothing can be done, here is a prescription for pain. The pain got worth, I was losing strength in my left hand. I was in pain 7 days a week, until I found Dr. Mo. He had a x-ray taken and reviewed my MRI and quickly diagnosed the issue. I had Anterior Cervical Discectomy Fusion, (c4, c5 & c6 on March 31, 2017. Its been 1 month, pain free and I feel great. A++
in Washington, DC |
Dr. Mo helped me and my wife understand how the injury to my spine was impacting my overall health, what the surgery would do, and how recovery would proceed. I would highly recommend him to anyone suffering from back pain.
Herndon, VA |
He's kind, compassionate, understanding and he listens. He thoroughly explains in layman's terms your x-rays, MRI's and what the problem with your spine is, and goes over recommendations so you can understand your options. Highly recommend him.
in Vienna, VA |
Dr. Mo, I walked a mile and a half today. It was challenging but looking back I can remember not being able to walk 15 feet without excruciating pain. It's only been 4 months since my surgery and I have very little pain, if any. Having a straight back and even shoulders is something I never imagined I could have. I am in awe of what you do. I feel very fortunate and am very grateful to you for giving me my life back. You are the best!
in VA |
Having seen at least 4 specialists in the last 6 years, I saw Dr. Mo in Nov 2016 about persistent debilitating lower back pain and degenerative disk disease. Dr Mo quickly diagnosed the issue and I had a fusion in Feb 2017. I am amazed at the results! Dr. Mo is exceptionally skilled surgeon, compassionate and kind. I would recommend him to anyone who is considering back surgery.
in Fairfax Station, VA |
Dr Mo had operated on my wife several years ago and she was thrilled with the outcome so I went to see Dr Mo for a second opinion on surgery for severe bilateral sciatic pain. I had been seeing another orthopedic surgeon for three years with no progress. I had EMG, ESI's and physical therapy, but there was no relief. In a thirty minute consultation, Dr Mo summed up the problem and laid out his approach to surgery. I switched to Dr Mo, had the surgery and I am now pain free and more active. A+
in Washington, DC |
After much due diligence, I was lucky enough to find Dr. Fred Mo. Now mind you, I'm someone of a certain age and am oftentimes skeptical of young "practicing" physicians. Such was not the case with Dr. Mo. He is highly knowledgeable and skilled. His diagnosis and recommended treatment were spot on. I had surgery on 12/6/16 and I'm doing great!!! The debilitating radiating leg pains are gone! When he came to see me before surgery, he said to me, "we'll take good care of you", and he did!
Rockville, MD |
I was so impressed with how accessible Dr. Mo and his team have been. He and his nurse have answered all of my questions and completed all of the paperwork I've requested for my employer. Dr. Mo explained the surgery to me in detail. I was also impressed with how quickly his team was able to get my surgery scheduled after my first appointment. He even perfectly explained what the recovery was going to be like. Nothing was a surprise. Thank you!
in Mc Lean, VA |
I was referred to Dr. Mo by my orthopedic surgeon. I am delighted that Dr. Mo was willing to take my case. He fit me into his surgical schedule. I was in horrific pain and not very mobile , but after the surgery I felt much better in a relatively short period of time. Dr. Mo explained what he planned to do thoroughly and answered all of my questions prior to and after the surgery. I had no complications or infections, which is always a risk with surgery. He is prepared, confident and patient.
in Reston, VA |
My recent spinal surgery, both fusion and laminectomy, went well with none of the potential complications i was warned about beforehand. i am now standing straight with markedly reduced pain.
in Springfield, VA |
Dr. Mo, after looking at an MRI and some X-rays, knew immediately how to proceed with my condition. I had previously seen three other orthopedic surgeons for advice and Dr. Mo was the only one who had a bearable solution to my pain and incapacity.
in Springfield, VA |
Doctor Mo was very honest about the benefits and risks of my 5-level fusion. He also did not over promise. If anything he underplayed the possible benefits. It's one year after my surgery and my life has greatly improved. I can do many things I thought I never would again and I am no longer severely limited in activities like standing, walking and driving. My quality of life has improved far beyond any expectation I could have had.
in McLean, VA |
I have no reservations regarding recommending Dr. Mo, based on my diagnosis, spinal surgery, and recovery. I also had very useful, informative, and helpful interactions with his physician's assistant, Jill Cunningham; my telephone and email communications with Jill always yielded the necessary information and facts I was seeking, and they were accomplished professionally and with a sensitivity that I found particularly noteworthy. Thanks to both for an excellent prep and outcome.
in Virginia |
Dr. Mo is one of the most caring compassionate person I have met. Brilliant doctor, excellent personality amazing bedside manners. Listens to the patients with great interest. Put patients at ease by explaining the surgical procedure in detail. He is very patient. Great personality.
in Washington DC |
I was suffering from back pain and I just happen to randomly pick Dr. No, and that was the best move I made.. I had to have surgery twice and Dr. Mo performed both of them with great professionalism.. I really like that he is down to earth and explained things where you can understand things (not in doctors terms) and his very friendly demeanor... If I ever have any issues again I will call on no one other than Dr. Mo .. Oh and let me not forget the great Adina....
in Fairfax, VA |
Recovered fully from spine surgery. After 12 weeks released to normal activity. Dr. Mo was thoroughly professional in all respects.
in Springfield, VA |
Dr. Mo's demeanor sets him apart from the rest. He is cool and collected. The day of my surgery we had a friendly conversation about how things were going (in general) as well as what the procedure would be and all of our expectations. Each of my follow-up appointments, I have been greeted by the same caring and understanding man. He is attentive and not in a hurry to move on to the next patient.
in Fairfax, VA |
I highly recommend Dr. Mo for anyone who needs to be treated for scoliosis. After Dr. Lauerman passed away, I was worried about having another doctor as knowledgable and thorough, but Dr. Mo got me through a very difficulty spine revision surgery. I was back on my feet and back to work much earlier than I expected after my revision surgery last fall. I feel very fortunate to have been in such great hands. Dr. Mo is a very skilled, personable doctor who I highly recommend.
in Alexandria, VA |
Dr Mo performed a 4-disc lumbar fusion in early October. I have been very pleased by the results. Still some pain and discomfort (to be expected I was told..so no surprises there)....but my leg is pain free ...I can walk without pain....and that was the original issue. He is very personable, patient answering questions and returned calls very promptly. His staff people are easy to work with. I recommend Dr Mo without hesitation for someone needing spine surgery.
in Charles Town, WV |
After horrible, sub par medical care regarding a severely herniated disk at my L5/s1 level I entered Dr Mos office scared and in an unreal amount of pain. My surgery was scheduled a week later. I was so disappointed when I awoke still w the same pain but he assured me that it would just take time. And he was correct. I feel great 8 weeks out. He's extremely kind in addition to his obvious surgical skill and his nurse is wonderful and efficient as well. If your on the fence don't hesitate.
in Virginia |
Dr. Mo inspires a great deal of confidence that his recommended treatment will be successful. I had been suffering increasingly serious difficulty from lumbar disc degeneration for three years at the time I saw Dr. Mo and more conservative treatments had failed to provide relief. I experienced relief from the most severe symptoms while still in the hospital recovering from surgery. My recovery continues, but the symptoms that brought me to Dr. Mo in the first place are now gone.
Elkridge, MD |
I went to go see Dr.Mo for a disc desherniation surgery. At the first few weeks my back felt amazing! I felt like I could do anything in the world. Not so much now, my pain is back to a 7 to an 8. It's a different kind of pain. My legs feel extremely weak. I cannot walk or even go back to work. My bills are staring to pile up. When I told the doctor of my pain, he laughed in my face and told me the surgery was causing the pain. Seriously? Then he recommended that I get off the medication.
in Alexandria, VA |
What can I say. Dr. Mo is simply the best. I went in for a lower L5 fusion. Dr. Mo, put me right at ease. He answered all my questions the greatest amount of clarity. The surgery was perfect, and all my pre-surgery pain has either disappeared or in the process of disappearing. I cannot express enough how much Dr. Mo has changed my life for the better. You are in good hands with Dr. Mo.
in Williamsport, MD |
Dr Mo was recommended to my husband by a co-worker of my son. We are so glad we found him! He was caring, thorough and made us both feel at ease and confident in his abilities. His staff is also great. My husband was in a lot of pain and Dr. Mo was able to expedite his surgery. Surgery went very well and he was able to come home within 24 hours. Follow-ups show everything looking great and my husband can get back to living again. I wish I could give Dr Mo an even higher score than 5 stars!
in Sterling, VA |
Wonderful, caring yet medically knowledgeable and agile with his work. He's an almost unheard of combination of excellent bedside manner and skill. I've had several surgeries but never before got the care that I did while under Dr. Mo's watch.
in Arlington, VA |
First, Dr Mo is compassionate and takes the time needed with you as a patient, he genuinely is concerned about your well being. I saw him for lower lumbar issues which ultimately ended up needing surgery. He and the rest of the surgical team were very professional, explained everything to me and prepared me for what to expect during surgery and post surgery. I am now pain free for the first time in over five years. My surgery was a bit more complicated Dr Mo did a fantastic job.
in Ft Washington, MD |
Very easy to talk to and understand. A caring surgeon who is extremely accomplished. Surgery was as described and supremely successful.
in Alexandria va |
I was in a world of hurt at age 56 having trouble waking up or down steps, putting any weight on my left side my quality of life was rapidly declining. Met Dr he quickly scheduled me, he explained what, why, when and recovery. He listened, listened more and cared and said he could fix it and. Should be able to fix it all. Then he delivered on leaving the hospital gave me his cell and said call any time. I called twice he explained What was going on. What more Could one ask or expect
in Ft Washington, MD |
I am writing this because I believe Dr. Mo to be an outstanding surgeon. During my pre-surgery visit, he was courteous, friendly, caring, and very professional, but most of all, he discussed the surgery process in layman terms. After talking with Dr. Mo I felt like everything was going to be okay during my surgical procedure. I had severe sciatica pains radiating down my hip to my foot prior to the surgery, but no pains since the surgery. I feel so blessed! Thank you Dr. Mo.
in Winchester, Va |
I would highly recommend Dr. Mo and his entire staff; from surgical staff, nursing staff, to office staff. Underwent cervical spinal fusion surgery after motor vehicle accident. Very pleased with outcome, no set backs. Only 6 weeks post-op with clean bill of health. One of the best. Medstar Georgetown top notch.
in Alexandria, VA |
Great recommendation with surgery results as expected, so far.
in Winchester, VA |
After many years of back pain and four previous surgeries, I was fortunate to find Dr. Mo. He is a caring and compassionate Doctor. He thoughtfully and carefully explained the details of surgery and recovery process. His office staff is very easy to deal with as well. Given my pain level Dr. Mo was able to move up my surgery six week! And his team has been very responsive to my questions and needs.
in Washington, DC |
I came in for a consultation with Dr. Mo in November of 2015, after a flare up in my neck caused by an injury due to a car accident. From the moment my husband and I met with Dr. Mo, we knew he was the best. An MRI showed that I had two herniated discs, and surgery would be the answer. He always put me at ease, the surgery itself was a breeze, he explained the process thoroughly and clearly, and I always knew I was in the best hands. The surgery was over in an hour and I went home the next day.
in Capitol Height, MD |
I would like to start out by saying that Dr. Mo, was excellent to me. He really listened to my concerns and addressed them accordingly. His genuine behavior was very calming. I am very appreciative to him for helping me with my health issue.
in Poolesville, MD |
Dr. Mo is far and away the best spine surgeon I have seen since developing severe, chronic back pain almost three years ago. He is dedicated to helping his patients get back to a maximum functional level. Today at my follow up, he not only thoroughly reviewed my latest MRI, he was able to set me up this morning for an interventional/ diagnostic injection at MedStar Spine Chevy Chase which was performed within the hour right there. Usually, this takes weeks to schedule.
in Washington, DC |
Amazing surgeon with incredible bedside manner. He did a fusion of 4 vertebrae and I was walking 4 miles a day within 2 weeks. he is very skilled but also very personable and he explains things n understandable terms. Medstar Georgetown was terrific on the whole.
in Gainesville, VA |
I needed scoliosis fusion which is not a simple surgery. Another orthopedic surgeon referred me to Dr. Mo as one of two surgeons in the area who specializes in this procedure. The surgery was quite successful and I am completely pain free. I developed other problems in the hospital (not related to the surgery) and Dr. Mo checked on me every day till I was discharged. He is very professional and instilled confidence in me and my husband. I am happy to refer anyone to him.
in Oakton VA 22124 |
Dr. Mo is a highly skilled Spine Surgeon. I had reservations about surgery because of a prior experience with a surgeon that would not answer all of my questions.Dr. Mo listened carefully and it became apparent after a comprehensive search that he was the Dr. I trusted to perform the fusion of L4&L5 and a laminectomy.I did not encounter any pain while in the hospital (discomfort yes, but no pain) I am 8 weeks from the operation and have zero pain and feel great. I was lucky to find Dr.Mo.
in Upper Marlboro, MD |
Dr. Mo is a very concerned and caring Doctor. He listened to every word I spoke related to my on going situation. After reviewing my exam & X-ray he looked at me and stated that he would take great care of me and he did just that. Dr. Mo's bedside manner is totally awesome.
in Solomons, MD |
Dr. Mo is one of the most kind, caring and skilled surgeons I have ever had. Dr. Mo performed my major spinal fusion March 2015. The surgery and recovery period proceeded so well with his care. I feel he has saved me from living the rest of my life in a wheel chair. I highly recommend him to other patients with any spine problems.
in Mechanicsville, MD |
I was very impressed with Dr Mo's friendly and concerned manner. He gave me his complete attention, patiently explained my medical issues, and invited me to contact him at any time him with questions or concerns about my condition or upcoming surgery. His kindness was exceptional, as is his reputation, and I feel fortunate to have engaged him as my surgeon.
in Arlington, VA |
I felt very at ease speaking with Dr. Mo. and his team from the start. They are personable, courteous, & manage a very efficient office Dr. Mo performed surgery on my back. I am very pleased with the results & feel fortunate to have had such a great team taking care of me (office staff as well as the clinicians). Thank you!
New York, NY |
Wonderful doctor, one of the best I have come across. I have had chronic back pain for years and the treatment plan and results I have had with Dr. Mo have been amazing.
Have you seen Dr. Fred Mo, MD?
Are you Dr. Mo?

Compare Dr. Mo

Dr. Mo's Care Philosophy

Finding solutions for my patients.

Dr. Mo's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Orthopedic Spine Surgery
  •  Board certified in Orthopedic Surgery

Dr. Mo has no media or publications listed.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for District of Columbia.

Why It Matters: Dr. Mo's Board Certifications

Hospital for Special Surgery

Completed in 2011

Tufts University

Graduated in 2001

Dr. Mo does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Mo and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Orthopedic Spine Surgery
  • Orthopedic Spine Reconstructive Surgery

• Disc Replacement
  • Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery