Dr. Frank Raia, MD

Dr. Frank Raia, MD

Orthopedic Hand Surgery  |
Dr. Frank Raia, MD is an orthopedic hand surgery doctor who practices in Mesa, AZ. He is 44 years old and has been practicing for 17 years. Read his story

1450 S Dobson Rd Ste B122

Mesa, AZ 85202

• Golden Rule
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
  • Group Health Cooperative
  • Guardian
  • HAP Insurance
  • Health Blink HCA
  • Health Choice of Arizona
  • Health Net
  • Health Plan of Nevada

Learn about Dr. Raia

See how frequently Dr. Raia performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Osteoarthritis of Hands
Osteoarthritis of Hand or Wrist
Hand Conditions

Dr. Raia's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Raia's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Raia "Frank J. Raia, MD is a board certified and fellowship-trained specialist in hand and upper extremity surgery. He holds additional certification with added qualifications in surgery of the hand. He has been lauded for his numerous publications and presentations on operative hand treatments given to the international medical community. Dr. Raia completed his fellowship training at C.V. Starr Hand Surgery Center, St. Luke's –Roosevelt Hospital in New York and his residency training at Columbia University Medical Center. Dr. Raia obtained his medical degree from Columbia University's College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York, New York. While at Columbia University, he was part of several highly-coveted student research and fellowship projects, where he examined signal transduction pathways and gene expression. Dr. Raia then participated in the Harrison L. McLaughlin Fellowship in orthopedic trauma research at the Trauma Training Center at Columbia University Medical Center. Dr. Raia received his Bachelor's Degree in Chemistry, cum laude, from Princeton University in Princeton, New Jersey. Dr. Raia has written and contributed several articles in academic journals, including the Journal of Hand Surgery and the Journal of Biomechanics. He has given numerous professional presentations as well as poster presentations for the American Society for Surgery of the Hand and American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. He is a member of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand (ASSH)."

This content was provided by Dr. Raia "I encourage patients to be active participants in their care and to help make decisions for their well-being."

• Orthopedic Hand Surgery

• Dupuytren's Contracture
  • Elbow Sprain
  • Finger Injuries
  • Finger Joint Sprain
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Ganglion Cyst

• Shoulder Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
  • Trigger Finger Release
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate
  • Wrist Replacement

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Arizona.

• Princeton U
    Undergraduate School | Graduated
  • Columbia Univ. Col. Of Phy. & Surg.
    Medical School | Graduated 2000
  • Columbia University College Of Physicians and Surgeons, New York Ny
    Internship Hospital | Completed
  • Columbia University College Of Physicians and Surgeons, New York Ny
  • St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed

Dr. Raia has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Raia does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Raia and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Raia's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Raia to family and friends
2.5
Dr. Raia Says:

Patients' perceptions of the quality of care and services they receive at our practice provide valuable information and data on which to build improvement efforts.

Dr. Raia's Performance
    FAIR
Phoenix, AZ |
I would definitely suggest Dr. Raia to anyone and everyone. He treated me with kindness and really helped me when I broke my thumb.
Thank you for your positive review!
Gilbert, AZ |
Dr. Raia was direct, thorough and skilled. I liked his diagnosis and prognosis for my thumb problem. Understood my insurance issue and had good recommendations for physical therapy in the area.
in Mesa, AZ |
I am left with hardly any feeling in my right hand after a failed carpal tunnel surgery performed by Dr. Raia. The filament that was used to stitch under the incision was poking through the incision when I saw him at the follow up exam. I felt as though he couldn't wait to get me out of his office during that exam. He did not address my concerns and sent me back to work 3 days after surgery. There are no guarantees with surgery but this was and continues to be a horrendous experience.
in Mesa, AZ |
I saw Dr Raia in 4/2016 for painful trigger finger problems in my left hand, in two fingers and my thumb. He spent plenty of time speaking to the problem and treatment options. I settled on a cortisone injection for each finger and thumb, and within two weeks I was working out, lifting weights, and closing grippers again. I have great faith in Dr Raia. When the problem occurs again in the future, I'll be back to see him.
Gilbert, AZ |
Appeared rushed. Sent the student or PA in. She said my wrist pain that I had for 4 weeks would be fine. Just do whatever I wanted to.. Ask to see the doctor.. he said he could give i steroid shot but not sure it would help. I ask to try that and in 1 minutes he injected it without even prepping the area with alcohol wipe.. said come back if not better and left. Felt like I was taking up his time. Wouldn't go back!!!
Mesa, AZ |
Worst experience with a doctor ever. Tried to pop my finger into place (twice!) after admitting he had no idea what was wrong and being told repeatedly not to. Simply the rudest, most arrogant doctor I've ever encountered. He seems to have no interest in finding out what's going on and simply wants you out of the office as soon as possible. Would have given him a zero if I could have.
in Mesa, AZ |
When I came to Dr. Raia I had already undergone a very pain procedure to repair my finger with no success, I was very timid to try again. Dr Raia not only did an amazing job making my finger look completely back to normal, he also made sure I had little to no pain. He was very sensitive to my concerns and went above and beyond.
in Phoenix, AZ |
This was my 4th surgery and all is well. Will drive an hour to see this doctor because I trust him and all my surgeries have been as good as possible. Will return when needed. Very pleasant and knowledgeable.
in Mesa, AZ |
Conservative in approach On Time, no long waits great staff Took as much time as I needed and answered all my questions
in Tempe, AZ |
This guy is a real piece of work. After having a wrist problem for 4 months I finally get in to see an orthopedic specialist for the tear in my wrist. He gives a poor exam saying my wrist is stable and its not that big of deal that everybody gets them. His only treatment plan was telling me he didnt know what to do and to GET A NEW JOB(I work at UPS). What doctor doesnt listen, doesnt give a treatment plan and tells a patient to get a new job? I left heartbroken. Im in pain. I need help.
Chandler, AZ |
worst doctor I ever been to.....and I been to a bunch....
in queen creek az |
Very satisfied with the surgery dr Rahai preformed on my hand
Mesa, AZ |
If I could give him zero stars, I would. He spent a total of 3 minutes in the room with me. I know this because I was texting a friend right before he walked in. Not only did he obviously not care what I was there for, he was also VERY rude & I'm not even sure he's really a doctor? How can he be? He didn't seem knowledgeable at all. I asked him what to do about my wrist and cysts. His response was a shrug, a vague I don't know, and then proceeded to say There is nothing I can do about that.
Phoenix, AZ |
A Catastrophic encounter to say the least. Wish I had seem this site prior to making my first (and now last) appointment with this guy. He did not listen, didn't take time, nor attempted to thoroughly exam. Had a Very Bad attitude and pre-diagnosed my condition prior to my fully explaining my symptoms. To make matters worst, now 3 weeks after the office visit, he still have not submitted the referral order for treatment, even after I (and office staff) prompted with urgent requests.
Tempe, AZ |
Dr.Raia spent little time with me. He did not acknowledge any information about the xrays taken, and he showed no understanding or compassion for my concerns about my medical problem. Even the co-pay was an overcharge for the time involved in or the value of this visit.
in Gilbert, AZ |
He spent very little time with patient, and not care what patient has to say and gave his diagnosis immediately. No compassion or patience!!!
Have you seen Dr. Frank Raia, MD?

Visit Dr. Raia

Dr. Raia accepts 94 insurance carriers
  • Golden Rule
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
    GEHA
  • Lutheran Preferred
    Lutheran Preferred PPO
  • Magellan Health Services
    Magellan Health Services HMO
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
  • Maricopa Foundation For Medical Care
    MetLife PPO
  • Midwest Life
  • Monumental Life Insurance Company
    IHP Discount Card
    Integrated Health Plan (IHP)
    Integrated Health Plan (IHP) PPO
    RAN/AMN
    ValuePoint
  • National Association for the Self-Employed (NASE)
  • National Care Network
  • One Health
  • Operating Engineers Health & Welfare Plan
  • Phoenix Health Plan
    AHCCCS - AZ Health Care Cost Containment System
    Phoenix Health Plan (w/prior authorization)
  • Physicians Mutual
  • Self Pay
  • Sierra Choice
    Sierra Choice POS
  • Sliding Scale
  • Southwest Service Administrators, Inc.
  • Standard Insurance Company