Dr. Frank Bowden III, MD

Dr. Frank Bowden III, MD

Ophthalmology  |
Dr. Frank Bowden III, MD is an ophthalmology doctor who practices in Jacksonville, FL. He is 64 years old and has been practicing for 38 years. Dr. Bowden III is affiliated with Baptist Medical Center Jacksonville.

7205 Bonneval Rd

Jacksonville, FL 32256

Learn about Dr. Bowden III

See how frequently Dr. Bowden III performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Pinkeye (Conjunctivitis)
Blepharitis
Eyelid Disorders

Dr. Bowden III's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Bowden III "Board certified in Ophthalmology, the official eye doctor for the Jacksonville Jaguars of the NFL, and a Diplomat of the National Board of Medical Examiners, Jacksonville Eye Doctor Frank Bowden is one of Florida?s most renowned physicians. He has been recognized as one of Jacksonville?s Top Eye Doctors four times by Jacksonville Magazine, and honored by the magazine as the Best Doctor of 2006 and 2007."

• Ophthalmology

• Cataract
  • Chalazion
  • Chorioretinal Scars
  • Chorioretinitis
  • Choroidal Neovascular Membranes (CNVM)
  • Conjunctival Hemorrhage
  • Corneal Abrasion or Laceration
  • Corneal Diseases
  • Corneal Erosion
  • Corneal Ulcer
  • Diabetic Retinopathy
  • Drooping Eyelids (Ptosis)
  • Drusen
  • Retinal Detachment and Retinal Tear
  • Retinal Dystrophy
  • Retinal Hemorrhage
  • Retinal Vein Occlusion
  • Retinitis Pigmentosa (RP)
  • Senile Cataracts
  • Visual Field Defects
  • Vitreous Hemorrhage
  • Wet Age-Related Macular Degeneration

• Abscess or Cyst Drainage or Aspiration
  • Anterior Lamellar Keratoplasty (ALK)
  • Anterior Vitrectomy
  • Repair of Entropion or Ectropion
  • Repair of Eye Laceration
  • Repair of Retinal Detachment or Retinal Tear
  • Scleral Reinforcement Surgery
  • Vitrectomy (incl. Macular Hole Repair)
  • Vitreoretinal Surgery

1 Board Action
  • Wrong-site surgery (2/15/2016)
    Action Taken: Letter of Concern
    Summary: Please reference the following Document
    Documentation: Download here (PDF)
    State: Florida

• Naval Med Center
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1984
  • Wills Eye Hospital
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1988

Dr. Bowden III has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Bowden III has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Bowden III does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Bowden III and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Bowden III's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Bowden III to family and friends
3.9
Dr. Bowden III's Performance
There's no better doctor that I could recommend in our area than Dr. Bowden.
in Jacksonville, FL |
They surreptitiously got me to agree to take additional and questionably needed tests by stating it would be "covered at 100% by my insurance." However, upon exiting after the first of three tests I was charged $50 copay. After I explained that I had been told by their employee that my insurance would cover 100% of the bill, they insulted me with a dismissive attitude and basically said, "too bad." I would not recommend using their services.
in Jacksonville Beach, FL |
Dr. Bowden is amazing! He is incredibly compassionate and spends real time with me during my office visits, he doesn't rush through the appointment. And, let's not forget to mention that my custom Lasik has changed my life dramatically!
in Port Orange, FL |
The entire staff is GREAT, the front office ,technicians, nurses and everyone in the surgery center. I've been to another eye center and it was like night and day. At Dr.Bowden's the staff are concerned not only about your issue but as you an individual person. I could feel this vibe from the very first day I walked in their center!! Everyone is very courteous, professional and knowledgeable which made me feel much more at ease about my severe eye injury.
in ponte vedra, florida |
Definitely recommend. May spend too much time with patients some days but if ever I have lots of questions, he always stays to answer them all as well. My condition is improving now that I am in his hands.
in Ponte Vedra Beach, FL |
Dr. Bowden was able to assist my son when we were trying to figure out why his left eye was tearing non stop all the time. I am very appreciative and felt like his bed side manner was unmatched!
in Jacksonville, FL |
Dr. Bowden is an excellent doctor. But that is all he has. Wait time to see him once you arrive for your appointment is normally 2-3 hours. His staff tries to sell you cosmetic treatments, allergy testing and so many products for eye related issues. The amount of different testing on your eyes is outrageous. Seems to be a way to fleece your eye care insurance company. I have been a patient of his for ten years. No more.
in Jacksonville, FL |
I saw Dr. Bowden for almost one year. I made numerous visits to his office and it took at least three hours or more every visit until I saw Dr. Bowden. At my first visit I was informed that I suffered from "dry eyes". Almost every time I visited his office I was informed about a procedure that would cost me more out of pocket expenses. I felt like the cash register was always going! I paid about $3000 myself and saw no improvement with my eyes. I would avoid him at all costs, no pun intended!!
in Jacksonville, FL |
Dr. Bowden and his staff are absolutely amazing and so professional. I have been a patient there for a few years and everyone has always been quite knowledgeable and pleasant.
in Jacksonville, FL |
I am so thankful for Dr Bowden and his attention to detailed care. They presented several treatment options and I left educated on my condition. The wait time can be long at times, but once you are in front of him his only focus is on you and a personalized treatment plan. So thankful I was given options!
in Orange Park, FL |
He did LASIK on my eyes and I now see 20/20 without glasses!
in Jacksonville, Fl |
Simply amazing! Finally a team of docs who listen to what is really going on with me! I am so thankful for the time and attention to the health of my eyes!
in New York, NY |
I saw 4 ophthalmologists before seeing Dr Bowden. He was the first one to listen to my complaints of severe dry eye. By treating it aggressively, he halted the destruction of the glands which supply oil to the tear film. If I had not been treated by him, these glands would have been destroyed beyond repair. My dry eye condition is dramatically better and I cannot thank Dr Bowden enough. I would recommend him very highly to anyone needing treatment for their eye problems.
in Jacksonville |
Dr. Bowden is by far the best medical professional I have ever encountered. He is genuinely concerned with not only the reason for the visit, but also in taking the time to address other issues that can arise at a later date and informing you of your best options. His staff is very detailed and organized in assisting you in your plan of care. I am very satisfied with my experiences here and highly recommend anyone to visit him for your eye care.
Have you seen Dr. Frank Bowden III, MD?
Are you Dr. Bowden III?