Joint Replacement & Reconstruction Orthopedics  |
Dr. Frank Bohnenkamp, MD
I grew up in a family of medical professionals. As a child I was intrigued by watching my mother and father interact and extend care to patients. Together they inspired me to want to help others and made my interests in learning and education a priority. While in college, I earned extra money by working as a tech at the university hospital, where I interacted with patients and observed physicians in their white coats making rounds, ordering complex testing that aided in diagnosis, and treating patients. I felt like I belonged in this atmosphere. This resolved my decision to switch to a pre-med track. I completed my bachelor degree and post-graduate work with Distinction. The University of Illinois College of Medicine in Chicago shaped my interests in surgery and a passion for anatomy, where the musculoskeletal system and limbs were of special interest. My rotation in orthopedic surgery unlocked the final pathway for my career by linking all of my natural interests in knowledge of anatomy and the biomechanics of the limbs - especially in reconstructing joints or fixing fractures. After completing my surgical residency, I elected to pursue an additional year of specialized training with a fellowship in complex hip and knee reconstruction at Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri. While there I was able to participate in some of the most complex cases possible to enhance my skills. In my practice I draw on my knowledge of biomaterials and implant designs to optimize long-lasting reconstructive options for any possible scenario. I have the skills and experience in a number of procedures, including superior approach, mini-posterior, and anterior approach for total hip replacement, hip resurfacing, full and partial knee replacement, and complex hip and knee revision reconstruction to offer the best option for the patient's situation.

OrthoIllinois

750 E Terra Cotta Ave

Crystal Lake, IL 60014

Dr. Frank Bohnenkamp, MD

• Beech Street (Multiplan)
  • CorVel
  • ECOH
  • First Choice Health
  • HealthLink
  • HFN
  • PHCS
  • The Alliance

Learn about Dr. Bohnenkamp

Each patient and each surgery is unique and requires extensive planning and thought in order to provide the best possible result.  I find it rewarding to have a patient follow up after surgery smiling and happy because they were able to get back to work and their activities with no more joint pain, which often had been hampering their life for years.

Dr. Bohnenkamp's Experience

Dr. Bohnenkamp's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Joint Replacement & Reconstruction Orthopedics

• Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Fracture
  • Knee Pain
  • Knee Sprain
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Osteoarthritis of Hip and Thigh

• Knee and Lower Leg Fracture Treatment, Closed
  • Knee and Lower Leg Fracture Treatment, Open
  • Shoulder Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate

No malpractice history found for Illinois.

• Department Of Physiologic Imaging-University Of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Post Graduate Studies and Research Assistant
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 2004
  • University Of Illinois At Chicago Medical Center
    Internship Hospital | Completed 2009
  • University Of Illinois At Chicago Surgery Residency Program
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2013
  • Washington University Joint Preserving, Resurfacing, and Replacement Fellowship
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2014

Dr. Bohnenkamp has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Bohnenkamp does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Bohnenkamp and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Bohnenkamp's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Bohnenkamp to family and friends
Dr. Bohnenkamp's Performance
Huntley, IL |
I had both hips replaced at the same time. Dr. Bohnenkamp was attentive, informative and a pleasure to work with. After consulting with other surgeons in the area, I was convinced he was the right one for me. I had a complication from prior hip arthroscopy that he picked up and mitigated it from happening this time through radiation treatment. No one else caught it or planned to pre-treat this condition. I have an orthopedic background and he hit all the procedural nails on the head!
Rockford, IL |
KARA GIVES THE BEST INJECTIONS!!!!!!! Dr Bohnenkamp's Physician Assistant, Kara, is the best and would recommend her to anyone!!! Love this office!
, IL |
Nothing but the best
Woodstock, IL |
I would recommend Dr B and his PA Kara to everyone. Every one should have the pleasure of treating with him. I would yell his name out of the window as I drive up and down the streets because he is so awesome. The whole team is really great.
in McHenry , IL |
Dr. Bohnenkamp put me back together and he did a great job! I am so thankful for him!
in Hampshire, IL |
My daughter broke her arm after falling off her bike and ended up needing to be taken into the OR to straighten it. I was nervous about how she would do without me being able to be in there with her, but she loved Dr. Bohnenkamp so much that she handled everything like a pro, knowing he would be in there with her. He and his staff have been so caring, compassionate and thorough and I really can't thank them enough for their incredible care and attention.
Huntley, IL |
Dr. Bohnenkamp replaced my knee and my pain is gone! I feel great!
in Antioch, IL |
Dr. Bohnenkamp replaced my hip three months ago and I just keep getting better! I'm looking forward to being able to go to a family wedding in another couple of months!
in Crystal lake, IL |
Dr. Bohnenkamp replaced my knee three months ago and I'm doing great!
in Huntley, IL |
Dr. Bohnenkamp did surgery on my knee and I'm back to all activities and doing great! The whole experience was great.
Cary, IL |
Excellent bedside manner. A doctor who really takes the time to listen to your needs and figures out the best treatment option for you personally. Would highly recommend.
in Marengo, IL |
He has a very special bedside manner and is easy to talk to. He really listens. He replaced my hip and I'm doing great! I recommend him highly.
Crystal Lake, IL |
Knowledgeable and caring physician whom I would refer to anyone
Huntley, Il |
Dr. B is amazing. He is such a friendly man and explains everything very well.
in Cary, IL |
Dr. Bohnenkamp replaced my hip and I'm doing great! Great doctor and great staff.
McHenry, IL |
Everyone was nice, friendly and knowledgeable! Great experience!
Rockford, IL |
Very thorough and great beside manner. I felt very confident with all results. A highly effective surgeon.
Rockford, IL |
Dr. Bohnenkamp and his associates are wonderful. Very friendly and helpful in the office. My total hip replacement was a complete success. I had very little pain and great movement and rande of motion. My Physical Therapist said that it didn't even seem like I had a hip replacement. I would definitely recommend Dr. Bohnenkamp.
in Mchenry,IL |
Frank is a very personable and excellet surgeon ...He got my life back with the partial knee replacement....Excellent His staff, Christine and crew are equally competent.. Thank you all Dan Braun P.S. You still need to get a good foot Doctor!!
Great doctor!
in Rockford, IL |
Dr. Bohnenkamp replaced my hip and I feel great at three months!
in Woodstock, IL |
Dr. Bohnenkamp is a tru professional and he explained the knee problem and cure. I am very happy with the whole process and recovery. His support staff is also accomodating helpful. I have already recommended Dr Bohnenkamp to two neighbors who have had their knees done by Dr Bohnenkamp. The recovery was also great without any problem.
Rockford, IL |
Dr. Bohnenkamp and staff was so great. Very thorough and was able to take care of my knee pain so I could get back to a great quality of life!
in Rockford, IL |
Since meeting Dr. Bohnenkamp in the hospital I have the utmost respect for him first as Dr.and most as a caring human being. I recommend him highly.
in Elgin, IL |
Friendly, complete, helpful. Very like Dr. B!
in Sycamore, IL |
Fantastic experience! I was in so much pain before the surgery and no pain afterwards! Also great bedside manners. Unequivocal thumbs up. Would do it with him again in a heartbeat.
Elgin, IL |
Dr. Bohnenkamp is very sweet and caring!
Elgin, IL |
Dr Bohnenkamp has such a warm personality!
in Elgin, IL |
Dr. Bohnenkamp has helped me tremendously over the past years. He listens and, Understands me. I fell comfortable with him. I will continue to tell others how he has helped me. He also treats my husband for his knee, and we both appreciate having him as our doctor.
in Marengo, IL |
Dr. Bohnenkamp replaced my hip and I could not be more glad! I feel so much better.
Belvidere, IL |
I saw Dr. Bohnenkamp with a very complicated failed surgery from a fracture and Dr. Bohnenkamp fixed it all up. He was my savior! I'm doing so much better than I ever expected!
Woodstock, IL |
Dr B is professional and friendly. A great combination of the two! I broke my hip and before surgery when he told me I wouldn't have any pain, I didn't believe him. He was right! My pain before was so horrible but now it's gone and I feel great. I would give him 6 stars! Wonderful office. Thank you all!
Woodstock, IL |
Dr B did an awesome job on my new hip. I am 100% better then when I first came to him. The whole staff is great. Nothing but good things to say
in Crystal Lake, IL |
I had my knee replaced by Dr. Bohnenkamp and I'm doing great!
in Rockford, IL |
I am very greatful I had Dr. B. As my doctor after I went to the ER when I broke my ankle. I think he's awesome! I would refer anyone I know to him. The staff is so friendly!
Rockford, IL |
Fantastic experience. From the doctor to the staff to the hospital, everything was great! Thank you!
Rockford, IL |
Wonderful experience! 10 stars. Would recommend to anyone!
Mchenry, IL |
He fixed my hip...no one else in Mchenry County would take my case. Dr B is the best
in Crystal Lake, IL |
my experience was great doc was clear, explained to all my questions in a simple manner. advised what I should be doing and always considered my situation. I had very envolved surgery and he was excellent in giving my life back to me to function as a normal human being. I still have months to go but knowing he is available helps.
Elgin, IL |
Outstanding patient interaction and communication. Positive, upbeat individual. Thorough explanation of procedures and treatment. I was confident in his care and felt he was very professional and knowledgeable.
in Grayslake, IL |
Dr. Bohnenkamp and staff were amazing. I have had many ortho surgeries and finding the right doctor was very important to me. Once I talked with Dr Bohnenkamp I knew immediately that is was the office for me. He took the time to explain and show me what will be required and with humor and a light touch put me at ease. I had a total knee replacement which is no picnic but because of his experience and wonderful staff (Kara) it went very well. I don't hesitate to refer family or friends.
in Carpentersville, IL |
Dr. B was amazing. He has a very positive attitude and answered all questions in a way that is easily understood. I have recommended him to several friends already. I feel great!
in Island Lake, IL |
Dr. Bohnenkamp performed a partial knee replacement for me on Nov 30th 2015. By April I was playing softball and by May I was playing volleyball again. I was nervous about having the surgery, but Dr. Bohnenkamp took the time to explain the procedure and the other options available and listened to my concerns and answered my questions to help me decide the best option for me. I highly recommend Dr. Bohnenkamp and his staff. They are professional, compassionate and humorous all at once.
in Oakwood Hills IL |
AMAZING! I highly recommend Dr Bohnenkamp and OrthoIllinois to EVERYONE I talk to about my hip replacement. I had a dislocated hip as a kid, at 52 it popped out and I needed a hip replacement. Dr Daniels (amazing too) at OrthoIllinois was my dads doctor and my daughters so I scheduled an apt. Dr Daniels referred my case to Dr Bohnenkamp! From start to finish this has been such an amazing experience! It has been less than 3 months, no limp, more energy! Go see Dr Bohnenkamp!!
in Crystal Lake, IL |
Very friendly and helpful staff! Dr Bohnenkamp is very knowledgeable and helpful. He lightens the mood with a little humor, but is straight forward about your care. Keep up the good work!
in Harvard, il |
Dr Bohnenkamp is great at explaining the results of tests, the procedure and subsequent recovery. He actually LISTENS to his patients questions and takes the time to make sure you understand everything He seemed to really care about my recovery.
East Providence, RI |
I could not be happier with the outcome of my knee replacement. Not only is Dr Bohnenkamp a skilled surgeon but his bedside manner is exceptional. He exceeded my expectations. Not only am I pain free after my surgery but the scar and deformity from previous surgeries are only a distant memory now.
in Lake In The Hills, IL |
Injured my knee exercising. OrthoIllinois was unable to get me an appointment with my original kneed doctor because he was out of town, but because they have many specialists, they were able to get me an appointment with Dr. Bohnenkamp. The doctor diagnosed my issue and relieved my pain immediately. Back to exercising within 24 hours! He was very friendly, explained my issues clearly, and told me exactly when I should feel relief and what my next steps were just in case the issue worsened.
in Woodstock, IllinoisNew York, NY |
Two other orthopedic surgeons and rehab centers recommended him to me because he specializes in HIP reconstruction. He welcomed me and took the time to explain the procedure. My prior metal hip was in place for 20 years and hurting again. He did a great job And even gave me an extra 2 inches in height by readjusting my hip so I would stand more erect. And he is a good guy to boot !. I am totally hip pain free and walking freely after many years of hurting. Thanks Dr. B. , Ken Eriksen
in Twin Lakes, WI |
Dr Bohnenkamp changed my life in what he did for me - He is the best - FRom meeting him to surgery to follow-up he has been so professional all the way through - his surgical hands and skil has helped me have 2 new hips and I will forever be grateful George A Bauer
Have you seen Dr. Frank Bohnenkamp, MD?
Are you Dr. Bohnenkamp?

Visit Dr. Bohnenkamp

Dr. Bohnenkamp accepts 14 insurance carriers
  • Beech Street (Multiplan)
  • CorVel