Dr. Francis O'Donnell, DO

Dr. Francis O'Donnell, DO

Neurology  |
Dr. O'Donnell is a Board Certified Neurologist specializing in headache treatment and research. Dr. O'Donnell, was born and raised in northern New Jersey where he attended St. Peter's Preparatory School. Following high school graduation Dr. O'Donnell attended Lehigh University in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania where he received his Bachelor's Degree and graduated Magna Cum Laude. Dr. O'Donnell attended Medical School at Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine in Kirksville, Missouri where he again graduated with high honors. Dr. O'Donnell completed his Internship at Doctor's Hospital and his Residency at OSU Hospital both in Columbus, Ohio. While at OSU Hospital Dr. O'Donnell served as chief resident and started the OSU Headache Clinic. As a clinical professor in the Department of Neurology at OSU Dr. O'Donnell developed an interest in Behavioral Medicine and began to design clinical research protocols in this area of study. Since joining Ortho Neuro in 1991 Dr. O'Donnell has become a clinical professor at Ohio University. This has allowed for collaboration with Ken Holroyd, Ph.D. in the Department of Psychology, one of the leading international experts on conservative behavioral treatment for headache. Dr. O'Donnell has designed and participated in drug and non-pharmacologic studies sponsored by the National Institute of Health attempting to determine the benefits of these treatments for tension and migraine headache sufferers. Dr. O'Donnell receives grant/research support from and serves on the speakers' bureau for Abbot, Glaxo Wellcome, Merck, Pharmacia and Astra Zeneca companies. Dr. O'Donnell was elected by his peers for inclusion in Best Doctors in America® from 2009 to present. Dr. O'Donnell is the co-director of The Headache Management and Research Project and has published numerous papers presented at regional, national and international scientific meetings. He is an organizer and director for the Ohio State Headache Association and a member of the Central Ohio neurologic Society, the American Association for the Study of Headache and the Ohio and American Osteopathic Societies.

6770 Avery Muirfield Dr

Dublin, OH 43017

• CoreSource
  • Fallon Community Health Plan

Learn about Dr. O'Donnell

See how frequently Dr. O'Donnell performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

All Headaches (incl. Migraine)
high
Migraine
high
Headache

Dr. O'Donnell's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

• Neurology

• Tic Disorders
  • Tourette's Syndrome
  • Tremor

• Neurological Testing

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Ohio.

• At Still University Health Sciences/Kirksville College Of Osteopathic Medicine
    Medical School | Graduated 1985
  • Doctor's Hospital North
    Internship Hospital | Completed
  • Ohio State University

Dr. O'Donnell has no media or publications listed.

Dr. O'Donnell does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. O'Donnell and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. O'Donnell's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. O'Donnell to family and friends
3.3
Dr. O'Donnell's Performance
in Westerville, OH |
Do yourself a favor and read and believe the negative reviews. I would give zero stars if possible. Find another neurologist
Dr. O'Donnell was arrogant, condescending and dismissive during my follow up visit after seeing him for debilitating post concussive headaches, etc. He seemed annoyed when I told him that the meds he prescribed at my first visit we're not helping. It never made sense to me why I was given 10 steroid pills for acute blinding headaches. I asked him to explain what could be going on neurologically after my head injury and his response was, "you had a concussion and now you have headaches". AVOID
I have never written a review but thought it was necessary today. We just left our first visit with this physician and will not return. He was rude, dismissive, and impersonal! He did not listen to the history of my husbands symptoms over past 14 months just passed him off to see other physicians. I would discourage anyone from seeing him!
Columbus, OH |
I have seen Dr. O'Donnell for the past few years. I've had chronic migraines for years and needed my FMLA certification updated because I had more than allowed last month. He refused to recertify me and I told him I could lose my job. He didn't care and went on with the apt while I am literally bawling my eyes out. It was truly unreal the way he treated me. At each appt. he swears he doesn't prescribe me certain medicines when he absolutely does. He is untrustworthy and appears to be uncaring.
Columbus, OH |
As others have noted - he was condescending. I was trying to update him regarding my symptoms and experiences and he did not seem to take me seriously. His responses to my questions were snarky and dismissive. He has never discussed my condition with me or provided advice on how to deal with my condition - only prescribed medication. He got upset with me because the ER neurologist upped my dosage after 2 seizures in one night. A lab result showed the new dosage was still below treatment level.
Columbus, Ohio |
He was very nice, listened to what I said and relied with plain words instead of doctorspeak
Columbus, OH |
I cannot in good faith ever recommend this physician. Dr. O'Donnell failed to address my concerns and discuss any diagnosis or thoughts on what might be happening. Our appointments were extremely brief (5 minutes) and merely consisted of him addressing me very condescendingly, adjusting my medications, and sending me on my way. I never truly felt that my experience, thoughts, or concerns were being taken seriously; I described the symptoms of my headache to him over and over again as thoroughly
Abrupt and condescending. Does not take the time or make effort to explain himself. Appears annoyed when patients ask questions.
Columbus, OH |
I am sure the Doctor is a smart and brilliant man, but I did not care for his interpersonal skills. He does not appear to be a good listener, and I always felt rushed. I changed doctors because he was not a good fit for me personally.
in Pickerington, OH |
I've see this doctors several times over 5 years and I never will again. While I was reading my list of symptoms he yelled at me 3 times. I'm 38 on disability, degenerative brain disorder, and he was well aware of this knowing its why I couldn't respond quickly. He's well aware of how this affected me and still never apologized. The Pickerington office is clean, staff is friendly, but someone needs to teach this doctor what it means to "not due harm." Patients are vulnerable do not trust him.
Galena, OH |
Went to see him for headaches and dizziness. He couldn't determine why I was having either so he prescribed me an ANTI DEPRESSANT! Didn't tell me that's what it was, just handed me the script. I had to google it to find out. It's interesting that the side effects for this drug are headaches and dizziness....hmmm.
in Columbus, OH |
The worst doctor I have even seen in my 50 some odd years of life. He is rude, interrupts you as you attempt to answer his questions, walks in/out of exam room without explanation, etc...I could go on and on about this man's deficiencies as a physician. He was testing (I guess because he never told me what or why he was doing this) my neck range of motion. My neck will only turn so far due to a prior condition/surgery. Now my neck hurts and until he touched it...it hasn't hurt for years!!!
Chicago, IL |
Visited twice now and he does not answer questions, just says yep, ok. Didn't review my headache journal on my first followup, just said well come back in 6 weeks and stay on the medication. Still having issues seeing in my right eye and had four major attacks since he first prescribed the medicine, but he spent total of 5 minutes with me.
He didn't actively review my headache diary after the first visit. He took 1-2 hours to see me. He didn't really discuss his thoughts or ideas for treatment at all he just gave me my next treatment and sent me on my way.
Have you seen Dr. Francis O'Donnell, DO?
Are you Dr. O'Donnell?

Visit Dr. O'Donnell

Dr. O'Donnell accepts 14 insurance carriers
    Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield HMO
    Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO
  • CoreSource
    Coventry Health America PPO
  • Fallon Community Health Plan
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
  • Medical Mutual of Ohio