Dr. Francis X. McGuigan, MD

Dr. Francis X. McGuigan, MD

Orthopedic Surgery | Male

Medstar Georgetown Orthopaedic Institute 3800 Reservoir Rd NW, Washington, DC 20007 Get Directions

Learn about this Doctor

Personal Bio

Dr. Francis Xavier McGuigan joined the Orthopedic Department of Georgetown University in September 2006. Dr. McGuigan is a Professor of...Read more

Dr. McGuigan's Experience

99Experience
Match

See how Dr. McGuigan's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. McGuigan

Dr. McGuigan accepts 21 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. McGuigan has admitting privileges.

Hospital Quality Awards

Dr. McGuigan's Reviews

Help millions of people find the right doctor. Share your experience today!
Likelihood of recommending Dr. McGuigan to family and friends
4.4
Experience with Dr. McGuigan
Dr. McGuigan's Office & Staff
    10 – 15 minutes (96)
in Washington, DC |
I have already recommended Dr. McGuigan to a colleague! He was knowledgeable, patient, and due to his conservative and practical approach, saved me a lot of time, money and pain. He was able to spot subtleties in my injury that other doctors at Georgetown did not notice or mention, allowing me to make an informed decision about my care. Many thanks to him and his staff!
in Rockville, MD |
I needed a 2nd opinion to remove a painful neuroma surgically. I expected Dr. McGuigan to concur with my podiatrist. He looked, said I did not need surgery and left the room, returning with a pad placed behind the neuroma. This pad was going to override surgery? Nah! He was quite confident this pad would do the trick. So I put the pad onto the sole of my sneaker, put it on and was, and still am, incredulous. To accompany his expertise is a congenial doctor, qualities we seek but rarely find
in Washington, DC |
As first time broken my ankle and have surgery, Dr. McGuigan take the time to make me feel safe any moment.... even after my surgery, he call me on Sunday of the Super Bowl to ask me how i fell, my surgery when very well and am very please with the final result. Any future situation in my life, i will trust him on any moment. thank you so much for the well take care of my ankle and myself, and to all the staff for excellent professionalism.
in Washington, DC |
Appointment time is always respected. He answers all questions; not an alarmist During snow storm he was only person there and handled all aspects of my appointment
Mc Lean, VA |
Treatment was excellent. I appreciated the quick availability of Dr. McGuigan, including for surgery. He informed me very good about the recovery process and its duration and was very pleasant during my visits, providing a relaxed atmosphere as much as possible.
in Silver Spring, MD |
Dr, McGuigan is very personable and a very experienced clinician.
in Waldorf, MD |
Dr McGuigan did my 3rd surgery on my right great toe. My first 2 surgeries were not so successful (Dr McGuigan did NOT do my first 2 surgeries) but my 3rd was a total success and I owe all to him. I would highly recommend Dr McGuigan.
in Newburg Maryland 20664 |
My experience with Dr McGuigan was excellent and him and his staff was always very respectful and professional. I have been telling my family and friends about him and letting them know that if they need some type of knee, hip or foot surgery to go and see him.
in Charlotte Hall, MD |
Dr. McGuigan has operated on both my knees and ankle. He fixed me all three times.The ankle was complicated and I suffered for years.I now walk normal.The pain is gone and I cannot be happier. He also worked on my husband and we recommend him to everyone. Dr. McGuigan listened to me, answered all my questions and showed me pictures of what he was going to do in detail. I did everything he told me to do and got 100% results. I trust him so I am not afraid of surgery.
in Silver Spring, MD |
This doctor not only care for is profession but most important for his patients. He listens to you and your worries about the surgery and explain to you what is going to happen good or bad but in a way that you can trust him. Very caring and loving person. I love him as a super Doctor.
Rockville, MD |
Had a specific plan for surgical intervention on my ankle which made sense to me, spent considerable time outlining the plan for me. Prior orthopedist had said he would decide during surgery what to do and could not be specific about recommendations. Also it helped that my ankle healed this timea fter surgery
in Oxon Hill, MD |
Dr. McGuigan is an excellent doctor with a lot of patience. He performed surgery on my right knee and I've had great results. I've had a positive experience and I highly recommended Dr. McGuigan.
Arlington, VA |
He's patient, thorough, and committed, and a talented surgeon.
in Arlington, VA |
Dr. McGuigan did extensive repair on my achilles (Haglund's deformity) and it was a total success. The pain and disability I lived with for 10 years is mostly gone. Everything went smoothly - including a visit to the hospital to review the incision & get a cast in the wake of the biggest snowstorm we had in nearly a century. I am looking forward to returning now to playing squash.
Annapolis, MD |
Excellent physician! I have been seeing Dr McGuigan for 8 years and he has always been professional, informative, and personable. Dr McGuigan did a bilateral total knee replacement in 2008 and in 2016 my knees are still going strong. Dr McGuigan performed reconstructive foot surgery to correct a collapsed arch with an over pronated foot (resulting from my previously bad knees) in 2014 and I'm very happy with the results. Dr McGuigan is thorough, detailed and highly skilled. Highly recommended!
in Brookeville, MD |
Great surgeon. Excellent surgical skills, and the entire team at the GUH foot and ankle center are the best anywhere.
in Washington, DC |
Dr. McGuigan performed ankle replacement surgery to stabilize an ankle that had been sprained badly. I feel confident in his advice. He is not quick to recommend surgery unless he believes its benefits will outweigh the risks and is confident of an excellent result. He told me that he could take my ankle back to where it was before my injury. He did. I am still healing, but well on my way to full activity. He is kind, friendly, easygoing, and takes time with his patients. Highly recommend.
in Olney, MD |
Dr. McGuigan was very professional, kind and compassionate and did a great job at repairing the split tendon in my foot. I have full confidence in him and his team and he's the one to go to for foot and/or ankle surgery!
Have you seen Dr. Francis X. McGuigan, MD?
Are you Dr. McGuigan?

• Knee Arthroscopy
  • Knee Replacement
  • Knee Replacement Revision
  • Knee Surgery

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for District of Columbia.

Georgetown University School Of Medicine

Union Memorial Hospital

Completed in 1997

University of Virginia

Graduated in 1982

Dr. McGuigan has no media or publications listed.

Dr. McGuigan does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. McGuigan and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

×

Dr. McGuigan's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

• Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery
  • Board certified in Orthopedic Surgery
  • Malpractice claims in District of Columbia not available
×

Why Does Experience Matter?

Patient Satisfaction Results for Dr. McGuigan

Overall Patient Satisfaction Score

Dr. McGuigan's Office & Staff

Ease of scheduling urgent appointments
Office environment, cleanliness, comfort, etc.
Staff friendliness and courteousness
Total wait time (waiting & exam rooms)
10 – 15 minutes

Experience with Dr. McGuigan

Level of trust in provider's decisions
How well provider explains medical condition(s)
How well provider listens and answers questions
Spends appropriate amount of time with patients

Dr. McGuigan says...

Dr. Francis Xavier McGuigan joined the Orthopedic Department of Georgetown University in September 2006. Dr. McGuigan is a Professor of Orthopedic Surgery, and excels in academic and clinical practice with expertise in the treatment of knee, foot and ankle disorders. He also serves as the assistant residency director. He is a clinical staff member at the National Institute of Health. He is the author of over twenty peer reviewed journal articles and has been a peer reviewer for three orthopedic publications.

Dr. Mcguigan was Phi Beta Kappa and graduated summa cum laude from the University of Virginia. He graduated from Georgetown Medical School and completed his orthopedic training at Oakland Naval Hospital. Following orthopedic residency training he completed fellowships in total joint replacement surgery at Thomas Jefferson University and foot and ankle surgery at Union Memorial Hospital. He served as Department Chairman at the National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, MD and Orthopedic Consultant to the White House and Pentagon. Recently he served as the Orthopedic Research Director at the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology in Washington, DC. The final three years of his naval career involved the advanced trauma care and limb salvage of United States Marines injured in Iraq and Afghanistan.