Dr. Francis McGuigan, MD

Orthopedic Surgery ·  Male · Age 59

Dr. McGuigan

Medstar WA Hosp Ctr Orthpdc Sgy

3800 Reservoir Rd NW Fl 1 Washington, DC 20007

Dr. Francis McGuigan, MD is an orthopedic surgery specialist in Washington, DC and has been practicing for 25 years. He graduated from Georgetown University School Of Medicine in 1986 and specializes in orthopedic surgery, orthopedic foot & ankle surgery, and more.

Dr. McGuigan's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. McGuigan

Dr. McGuigan?
Dr. McGuigan's Performance
What People Say About Dr. Francis McGuigan, MD
Found out what was causing my pain, performed surgery in Jan., currently in P.T., excellent care pre & post-op. Highly recommend.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Francis McGuigan, MD?
A great Doctor, confident, knowledgeable and experienced with ankle fusion. 5 Stars
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Francis McGuigan, MD?
Dr. McGuigan is wonderful! I had a damaged achilles tendon and was no longer able to run and it was incredibly painful to walk. Dr. McGuigan operated on my achilles and I am just over 6 months out of surgery and am running again. I found him to be kind, thoughtful, and knowledgeable. I would return to him in a minute! Thank you, Dr. McGuigan!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Francis McGuigan, MD?
Dr. Mcguigan has performed 3 of my 5 foot surgeries. I wish I knew him for the first two! He did superb work and I credit Dr. Mcguigan for getting me back to an active lifestyle where I can do Jazzersize 3 times a week. After consulting with many different orthopedic doctors over the years about my feet I can tell you that Dr. Mcguigan is far superior to the others I have met including specialists at UVA.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Francis McGuigan, MD?
Guided me through my recovery for a broken foot very effectively. He and the staff were attentive, engaged, and easy to work with.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Francis McGuigan, MD?
Dr. McGuigan repaired my achilles tendon and I am so glad that I found him and his entire team. The care is absolutely top notch - he is an absolute expert. His explanation of the process and what to expect throughout recovery have been thorough. And his use of occassional humor to ease tense moments has been appreciated.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Francis McGuigan, MD?
Excellent experience all around from initial consultation to surgery. I would highly recommend Dr. McGuigan.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Francis McGuigan, MD?
Dr. McGuigan performed surgery to correct a prior bunionectomy that had gone bad. My foot is much better now and the entire experience was great. I felt I had very good care before, during and after surgery
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Francis McGuigan, MD?
Dr. McGuigan is the best! When a bad accident happened landing me in the ER, I found myself in the care of Dr. McGuigan to create a treatment plan. He is every bit the rock star! Dr. McGuigan listens, is thoughtful, does not rush decisions, and is thorough. We have navigated each and every step being informed and feeling equipped with the next steps in the treatment plan and healing process. Medical doctors like Dr. McGuigan are the true professionals you want to have as you get back to whole.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Francis McGuigan, MD?
Dr. McGuigan and his staff of doctors, nurses and healthcare associates represent premier healthcare in the DMV because of their hard work, compassion, superior knowledge, customer service and courteousness. I know I am in the right place every time I go there. The patients never stop coming. This is why I cannot emphasize enough his (their) dedication to hard work and for that I am most grateful. The Washington Metro area is blessed to have the Medstar and John Hopkins Groups in its midst.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Francis McGuigan, MD?
I am extremely pleased with the outcome of my left bunionectomy. The process from beginning to the final follow-up appointment was smooth and efficient, and the office staff worked with my schedule. Dr. McGuigan explained the process and answered all of my questions quite satisfactorily. He treated a previous avuncular fracture, and I will continue to seek his medical services should it become necessary in the future.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Francis McGuigan, MD?
I'm so glad I was referred to Dr. McGuigan for my bunion surgeries. He explained every step of the process both pre- and post-surgery. Dr. McGuigan was professional and compassionate with a wonderful bed side manner. I felt like I was in good hands with him directing my care and healing.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Francis McGuigan, MD?
I have a rare connective tissue disorder that makes surgery difficult. Dr. McGuigan did a wonderful job reconstructing my ankle. It has healed wonderfully with no problems. Not only is he a knowledgeable doctor, he is very nice and articulate.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Francis McGuigan, MD?
I went to Dr. McGuigan for a knee arthroscopy and I could not have had a better experience. He was thorough, patient, and explained everything at every clinic visit. His approach was conservative and well thought out, and I truly think he made the best decisions for my knee. He did a phenomenal job operating on my knee, and my pain level is now a zero after a quick and easier than anticipated recovery with the help of PT. I am so glad I made the decision to see Dr. McGuigan and have him operate.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Francis McGuigan, MD?
Dr. McGuigan is a very talented surgeon. He is also very down to earth and kind. I suffered a serious lisfranc injury resulting in plates and screws to put my foot back together. He answered all my questions, my appointments were always on time and his staff always polite. I am extremely fortunate I was referred to him and I would not hesitate to recommend him.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Francis McGuigan, MD?
From the first time my wife & I met him, he put us at ease. We have complete confidence in him. He has an way of speaking to his patients so that they easily understand what's being said. For a man whose life has given him every reason to be proud, he is very down to earth. You can clearly see his days are busy, but he never makes you feel like he's rushing. My wife appreciates that after surgery he comes out and updates her. If you are thinking about making an appt. Do it, you won't be sorry.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Francis McGuigan, MD?
I met Dr. McGuigan in Nov, 2015 referred by my own orthopedist for my rare ankles problem. He became my surgeon since then. I have had 2 major surgeries with him and both of them are successful. I was told that he never saw anyone with poor bone quality like mine, but he managed well. What I like most is that he always asks your opinion for what to do, never pushes you for any decision. He shows great care of his patients by thinking your long term benefit from a surgery.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Francis McGuigan, MD?
Dr. McGuigan is incredible. He is an intelligent, kind, and thorough surgeon who has a fantastic staff working alongside him. My cousin recommended Dr. McGuigan to me after he had a successful surgery on his foot. I am grateful for the recommendation because Dr. McGuigan was (and continues to be) one of the best Doctors I have encountered (which is a lot!). You will indeed be fortunate if you have an opportunity to cross paths with Dr. McGuigan.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Francis McGuigan, MD?
I love running and after my last 5K, my foot was in considerable pain. I made an appointment with Dr. McGuigan and was quite impressed with his demeanor and his familiarity with my condition. He put my mind at ease that the out-patient surgery would correct the problem. The follow-ups were informative as my injury was healing nicely and as he expected. It's been 4 months since the surgery and my foot is back to normal! Am looking forward to my next 5K!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Francis McGuigan, MD?
Dr. McGuigan is an amazing miracle worker who saved my son! I had taken him to 18 doctors over 2 years before we met him. We had been to every specialist in the DMV plus Baltimore & even DE to see "the best of the best!" My son had endured multiple injections, months of PT, been told the pain was in his head and to suck it up. Dr. McGuigan listened to us, explored all possibilities and realized it had to be scar tissue in his ankle joint and operated. My son is healthy and playing sports daily!
Show more reviews

How was your experience with Dr. McGuigan?

Dr. Francis Xavier McGuigan joined the Orthopedic Department of Georgetown University in September 2006. Dr. McGuigan is a Professor of Orthopedic Surgery, and excels in academic and clinical practice with expertise in the treatment of knee, foot and...

• Hip & Knee Orthopedics

1987
1986
1982

Dr. McGuigan accepts

Dr. McGuigan accepts the following insurance:

Select
Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield
KeyCare PPO
Blue Choice Advantage
Blue Preferred PPO
CareFirst Maryland POS
Coventry Health Care
Southern Health PPO

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for District of Columbia

Check Dr. McGuigan's experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. McGuigan treats this condition more than 90% of his peers

Ankle Sprain and Achilles Tendon Sprain or Rupture
high
high

Dr. McGuigan treats Ankle Sprain and Achilles Tendon Sprain or Rupture more than 88% of his peers

Dr. McGuigan treats this condition more than 88% of his peers

Rating Includes other areas of care:

• Achilles Tendon Rupture

• Knee Surgery
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Lupus
  • Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) Sprain
  • Muscular Dystrophy (MD)
  • Osteoarthritis of Ankle and Foot
  • Plantar Fasciitis
  • Pyogenic Arthritis
  • Runner's Knee
  • Spina Bifida
  • Stress Fracture of Foot

Check the quality of care at hospitals where Dr. McGuigan treats patients.