Dr. Fawad Zafar, MD

Dr. Fawad Zafar, MD

Urology  |
Fawad Zafar, M.D. has been in practice since 1985 and has been serving the Iowa community since 1996. At King Edward Medical College he was the recipient of the "Most Distinguished Student" award and graduated at the top of his class. Upone completing his medical education, Dr. Zafar went on to pursue his urology training at Royal Shrewsbury Hospital and at Ealing and Hammersmith Hospitals in England. In 1994, he completed a Fellowship in Endourology at Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis. The focus of his fellow ship was in urinary and bladder stones, male and female incontinence, and male impotence. Because of his passion to learn new and innovative techniques in urological care, Dr. Zafar has expertise in performing procedures for male impotence and male/female incontinence. Dr. Zafar has published articles in both the British Journal of Urology and the Journal of Endourology. He has also co-authored a textbook of Endourology. Dr. Zafar frequently presents lectures in the community. His topics of interest include Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia, Impotence, Male and Female Urinary Incontinence and Kidney Stones. Dr. Zafar has been an active member of the American Urological Association, American Association of Clinical Urologists, and Society of Laparoscopic Surgeons. He is also a Fellow of the Inernational College of Surgeons.

1000 73rd St Ste 17

Windsor Heights, IA 50324

• American Republic
  • AvMed
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois
  • Golden Rule

Learn about Dr. Zafar

See how frequently Dr. Zafar performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Bladder Diseases
Neurogenic Bladder
Testicular Dysfunction

Dr. Zafar's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Zafar "Our Purpose

Our purpose as an organization is to give high quality care to both male and female patients in the specialty of Urology. Our services include diagnosis and treatment of bladder, kidney, and prostate cancer, treatment of interstitial cystitis, chronic urinary tract infections, benign enlargement of the prostate, erectile dysfunction, sexually transmitted diseases, male and female incontinence, male infertility, and male sterilization.

Our Values

Personallized Care – Each patient receives customized care, specific to their diagnosis and situation. We do not take a "one size fits all" approach to the care our patients receive. We treat the diagnosis and treatment of each patient with their individual needs in mind.

Flexibility – We operate our offices to meet the needs of the wide variety of patients we see. We have extended office hours, and are open Saturdays to accommodate all of our patients. We also accept most major medical insurance plans, including Medicare and Medicaid (Title 19). If necessary, we will work with a patient's insurance company to get approval for a procedure.

Timeliness – We do not believe in making a patient wait. Whether it is for an appointment to see the doctor or scheduling a test at another office, we understand that our patients' time is valuable. In fact, often established patients can be seen the same day they call in with an issue that needs timely attention."

• Urology

Dr. Zafar does not have any board certifications listed.

• Atrophic Vaginitis
  • Bladder Diseases
  • Bladder Diverticulum
  • Bladder Infection
  • Bladder Stones
  • Blood in Semen (Hematospermia)
  • Blood in Urine (Hematuria)
  • Elevated PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen)
  • Enlarged Prostate (BPH)
  • Erectile Dysfunction
  • Hydronephrosis
  • Hypospadias
  • Interstitial Cystitis
  • Kidney Disease
  • Kidney Stone Pain (Renal Colic)
  • Kidney Stones
  • Male Infertility
  • Neurogenic Bladder
  • Nighttime Urination (Nocturia)
  • Overactive Bladder
  • Painful Urination (Dysuria)
  • Penile Cancer
  • Peyronie's Disease
  • Prostate Cancer
  • Prostate Cyst
  • Prostatitis
  • Sexual Dysfunction
  • Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
  • Sleep Disorders
  • Urinary Disorders
  • Urinary Hesitancy
  • Urinary Incontinence
  • Urinary Stones
  • Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
  • Urinary-Genital Tract Fistula, Female

• Prostate Removal
  • TURP (Transurethral Resection of Prostate) or Laser Destruction of Prostate
  • Ureterscopies
  • Urethral Dilation
  • Urinary Stone Removal (Litholapaxy)
  • Varicocelectomy or Hydrocelectomy
  • Vasectomy
  • Wound Repair

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Iowa.

1 Board Action
  • Substandard Care, Incompetence or Negligence (11/16/2012)
    Action Taken: License Reinstatement without Restrictions
    Summary: Please reference the following Document
    Documentation: Download here (PDF)
    State: Iowa

• Royal Shrewsbury Hospital
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1994
  • Methodist Hosp Indianapolis
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1995

Dr. Zafar has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Zafar has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Zafar does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Zafar and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Zafar's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Zafar to family and friends
Dr. Zafar's Performance
in Windsor Heights, IA |
Dr. Zafar has been a tremendous help with my kidney stones. It was a very painful condition and he got me in the same day and did the treatment. Thankfully the stone broke and I was able to go home the same day. I cannot thank him enough for his care that he gave me.
in Windsor Heights, IA |
I have seen Dr. Zafar for 11 years with h/o bladder cancer that he diagnosed. Since then he has checked me regularly with bladder exams and X rays and kept things under control. I used to be a smoker and stopped ot as he told me that it will make the bladder cancer come back He has kept me on track and I am very thankful to him for taking such good care of me,.
in Windsor Heights, IA |
I had urine problems and could not pee. Eventually I went to the ER and they put a catheter in and sent me to Dr. Zafar. He did tests and recommended surgery. He did the surgery with in a few days and then thankfully had the catheter removed. I have never peed so well!! Excellent Doctor!
West Des Moines, IA |
Thoughtful, friendly, personable, goes above and beyond.
in Windsor Heights, IA |
I had a lot of pain with kidney stones and was referred to Dr. Zafar from ER. He did the lithotripsy procedure the next day. I passed the stone pieces over the next week and had no pain. He also did my urine test to find out why I am making the stones. Very good Doctor. Recommend him!
in Windsor Heights, IA |
I have had ED issues for 10 years since my prostate surgery. Medicine had failed and vacuum pump did not work. I heard about Dr. Zafar from a friend who had a penile implant surgery. I had the surgery done 2 months ago. My sex life is back and I now wonder why did I wait so long. Excellent physician and great bedside manner.
in Windsor Heights, IA |
I saw the Doctor for prostate cancer. He has been treating it for 5 years and has kept my PSA under control. I am very satisfied with the treatment he has given me.
Des Moines, IA |
I had a very difficult kidney stone. Even though everything went wrong he stuck with me. I consider him the best doctor in the whole world because he is available and sees you as a person not just a patient.
in Windsor Heights, IA |
I had a circumcision done with Dr Zafar. It was a quick 15 min surgery. Everything has healed and my problem has gone away!
in Windsor Heights, IA |
I had a vasectomy done by Dr Zafar. The check in procedure was smooth. Nurses were very helpful. He spent 15 minutes explaining the whole procedure. The vasectomy itself was a breeze. I spent the whole time in conversation and before I knew it the procedure had finished. I had no pain and after the procedure have done well. No hesitation in recommending him or his staff!
in Windsor Heights, IA |
I see Dr Zafar for low Testosterone. I used to feel all blah and he did investigations to find out why. Once he found out, I was started on treatment and it made a huge difference in how I felt. I have a lot more energy and zip. Both Dr Zafar and his staff are excellent.
in Windsor Heights, IA |
I saw 2 urologists and a urogynaecologist in town for my bladder problems. I was told by all 3 that everything was normal and there is nothing more they could do. I came to see Dr Zafar and he diagnosed me with interstitial cystitis. I am on medications and bladder treatment. It has changed my quality of life! .
in Windsor Heights, IA |
Dr Zafar is a very good Urologist. He treated my symptoms and got me better. Before him I had gone to 2 different Urologists with no results.
in Chicago, IL |
I came to see Dr Zafar for urine leakage problems. He was very helpful. He made me get off caffeine and bingo my problem settled. He did not push expensive medicines. Just getting off caffeine made the difference!
in Burbank, CA |
I was referred to Dr Zafar by my doctor for a swelling in my sac. He was very reassuring and took a lot of time talking to me and then got my tests done. Thankfully it all came back OK. He gave me my options. I was also given his cell phone in case I had questions later.He took good care of me.
in Phoenix, AZ |
I have had problems with erections for years. A friend who had seen Dr Zafar for the same problem recommended him. He was very patient and spent a lot of time with me. He suggested a penile implant. I had it done 3 months ago and my sex life is back in action. He did a great job for me.
in Windsor Heights, IA |
I had urine leakage problems for years. A friend who had a good experience with Dr Zafar recommended him. He did my procedure and from 4 pads a day I am dry. This has really improved my life. Cant thank him enough.
in Windsor Heights, IA |
Dr Zafar has treated my prostate cancer for the last 15 years and has kept things under control. I am very happy with the care he has given me. He spends time with me and his staff is also very good.
in Windsor Heights, IA |
I have been doctoring with Dr Zafar for about 8 years. He has treated my enlarged prostate and low Testosterone. He gives good care and I am very satisfied. I will recommend him to others.
in Windsor Heights, IA |
Dr Zafar is my kidney stone Doctor. He has treated me with lithotripsy. He also did as test to find out why I make stones so they can be prevented Good Doctor!
in Windsor Heights, IA |
It was an easy exspirence and the doctor was a nice man.
Have you seen Dr. Fawad Zafar, MD?
Are you Dr. Zafar?