Dr. Farshad Abir, MD

Colorectal Surgery •  Male • Age 48

Dr. Abir

Summit Medical Group

1 Diamond Hill Rd Berkeley Heights, NJ 07922

Dr. Farshad Abir, MD is a Colorectal Surgery Specialist in Berkeley Heights, NJ and has over 20 years of experience in the medical field. He graduated from Suny Downstate Medical Center College of Medicine medical school in 2000. He is affiliated with Overlook Medical Center. He is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Abir to book an appointment.

Compare with other Colorectal Surgery Specialists

Compare Dr. Abir with our nearby Colorectal Surgery Specialists at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital.

Make an appointment at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital today at (732) 820-4217.

provider hospital

These providers are on the medical staff of Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital.

Dr. Abir's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Abir

3.7

Dr. Abir?
Came in for a consultation for an issue. Was rushed through the appointment (lasted 5 min) and then billed $1,000 (pre-plan) for the consultation. Was also told I needed a procedure (which would last 5 min) and was quoted $14,000 (pre-plan) for this procedure. Absolutely criminal. My fault for not getting detailed quotes in advance of showing up, but I am sharing this so others can learn from my mistake.
  • Long wait times
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Jul 31, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Farshad Abir, MD?
This past summer I was hospitalized due to diverticulitis. The most important decision we made was selecting Dr. Abir to perform my surgery. After two months of heavy antibiotics, an abscess forming in my colon, discovering my appendix needs to be removed, and feeling like I was not going to recover, we switched everything over to Dr. Abir and took the surgical approach. He was very clear and straightforward regarding what to expect, what the surgery will entail, the decisions he will be making during the surgery (whether to insert a colostomy bag or not), etc. which I greatly appreciated. He did an incredible, incredible job on the surgery and I am currently one month out and fully healed from what appeared to be a life-altering situation (without a colostomy bag despite multiple other surgeons predicting I would need one). He also schedules plenty of office time to meet with patients pre-and-post op which shows how much he cares about you, the patient. This man saved me.
Dan – Oct 26, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Farshad Abir, MD?
Last year I was diagnosed with Colon Cancer, Stage 3. Long story short, it took us quite a while to find a surgeon that specialized in my type of problem. The cancer was in a very difficult area, and our prospects were fairly grim. Everyone was telling me to go to New York City, they have the best surgeons. After a laborious research, reading reviews and scouring the Internet, we finally settle with Dr. Abir. Thank God we found Dr. Abir. After seeing several surgeons, my family and I were very confident that Dr. Abir was the one, after the first visit. He provided us with a great deal of confidence and restored our hope. He's has great experience, and he gave us straight answers. Something you really need from a surgeon. I put my life in Dr. Abir hands, with multiple procedures and surgeries. After a colon resection, ileostomy and finally a ileostomy reversal, now I'm cancer free.
Bernardo – Jun 10, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Farshad Abir, MD?
I have been treating with Dr. Abir for many years. Yesterday he treated me surgically for a stressful issue. The surgery was successful, and Dr. Abir was terrific. His entire team is professional, focused and caring. Dr. Abir has an amazing patient centered approach, always willing to talk and answer questions. I am happy to recommend Dr. Abir and his staff, they are all TERRRIFIC. Luigi Monaco May 31, 2019
Luigi Monaco in NJ – May 31, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Farshad Abir, MD?
Uncaring and blunt doctor I saw him for a umbilical hernia and he obnoxiously jammed his finger into the area with no concern for how painful it was for me , I had the repair done by him and I have never been the same since , I was later told by two other doctors that the scar and stitching looks sloppy
Richard in Keyport – Jan 25, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Farshad Abir, MD?
Not friendly and a bit self-absorbed. He jumps to conclusions without giving a person a chance.
Jan 13, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Farshad Abir, MD?
Dr. Abir performed a colonostomy on me and later reversed it after recovery. He is very professional and I 'd recommend him to anyone. He is attentive to detail and has a positive attitude.
James Davidson – Jan 05, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Farshad Abir, MD?
Just had paradtomal hernia repair and resitation after 12 years with a permanent colostomy from Stage 3 Rectal cancer. His surgical skills and conservative approach to post-surgical recuperation had me back on my feet and functioning quickly. A truly amazing physician/surgeon. I would highly recommend him., and I’ve been through numerous surgeons unfortunately.
Mark Cafiero in Westfield, NJ – Nov 02, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Farshad Abir, MD?
Dr. Abir is an amazing doctor.; from his bedside manor, to his skills inside the OR.. I was diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer and Doctor Abir was with my family and i every step of the way. When you think of a doctor, you look for the following qualities and characteristics and Doctor Abir has them all. Friendly, Warm, Honest, Punctual and most importantly he is on the cutting edge of modern medicine. I truly don't think we would have been able to get through this process without him.
John Dawidoicz in Scotch Plains, NJ – Sep 22, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Farshad Abir, MD?
Had colerectal surgery due to diverticulitis. Dr Abir was freakin awesome. He told me he would take care of me and everything would be better than good. He was right. I had the surgery and felt bad for about 48 hours. After that I did nothing but get better and felt really good within 72 hours. Who'd have thought that I'd be in that good shape after major surgery? Im at 6 weeks now and he told me I should act like I never had surgery. He's one outstanding doctor.
Robbie Sprechman in Scotch plains, NJ – Sep 09, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Farshad Abir, MD?
I was referred to Dr. Abir by my primary physician because of repeated attacks of diverticulitis. He recommended a colon resection that entailed removing about a foot and a half of my colon. It has now been a little over 6 weeks since my surgery and it all went very smoothly. I only spent 2 nights in the hospital (I expected to spend 4) and after 2 weeks was back at work. I am now successfully progressing from a low-residue diet and back to exercising without any restrictions.
Pam in Summit, NJ – Jun 17, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Farshad Abir, MD?
I first met Dr. Abir in December of 2015. In less than one month, he and his outstanding team, put me through a series of procedures to diagnose my cancer and create a strategy to address it. He suggested a team of doctors in various specialties to also treat me. Dr. Abir performed major surgery on me and worked seamlessly with all my doctors to got me healthy again. Eighteen months later he continues be my doctor. I am truly indebted to him for all he has done for me.
James Slattery in Watchung, NJ – Apr 24, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Farshad Abir, MD?
Dr Abir took time to wait for me to gather my thoughts and answered all my questions. He provided all information I needed. Staff and Dr Abir was always courteous and friendly and patient.
Marie Bernich in Fanwood, NJ – Apr 19, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Farshad Abir, MD?
I have been a patient since 2009. The Doctor's knowledge, bedside manner, friendliness, and overall quality are exemplary. I only wish every doctor I work will is as wonderful as Dr. Abir. Along the way I have seen the foremost doctors from Mayo Clinic to Johns Hopkins, but always return to Dr. Abir, as I am enthusiastically pleased with the service and skill that he has provided me over the years. I highly recommend Dr. Abir, and believe that any patient would be well served in his care!
Richard in New Jersey – Feb 24, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Farshad Abir, MD?
Dr. Abir is kind and excellent with his patients. He speaks to them in a conversation that is totally understandable and in mostly non-medical terminology. He is an excellent physician and is concerned for the welfare of his patients as well as their health and safety. I have recommended Dr. Abir to several of my friends who have found him to be excellent also.
Karen Adams in Green Brook – Jan 16, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Farshad Abir, MD?
It is my pleasure to write in support of Dr.Farshad Abir .His skills are excellent ,he demonstrated superior knowledge in his feild. he is brigth ,honest,hard working and very kind and caring and thougtful of others. i would recommend him to anyone.
morteza saify in warren nj – Jan 04, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Farshad Abir, MD?
My visits to Dr. Abir have been quite the opposite of what one who needs to see a colorectal surgeon anticipate. His kind, confident manner put me at ease along with his thorough explanations. He has a positive outlook and is considerate of his patient’s feelings by talking them through the procedures as he works and visits immediately following surgery. He encourages his patients to contact him with any questions or concerns. Dr. Abir is a skilled professional with a pleasant disposition.
Linda S in Union, NJ – Jan 03, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Farshad Abir, MD?
Dr Abir did a colon resection on me February 29, 2016. I highly recommend him as a surgeon. He met with me and spent time explaining the procedure that would be done and scheduled the surgery quickly as possible. Within a few weeks I was doing well.It is now 10 months since the surgery and I am doing very well. Dr. Abir was available after the surgery for any questions I had. Could not have had a better result. Thank you so much Dr. Abir. I am living a very good healthy life thanks to you
Lucille Hanselman in Clifton, NJ – Dec 30, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Farshad Abir, MD?
I have been seeing Dr. Abir for over three years now. During these frequently visits I find that he is competent, knowledgeable about my condition and provides a positive viewpoint which always puts me at ease. Both Dr. Abir and his enter staff are very courteous as well. I would definitely recommend Dr. Abir to a family member or friend because of the confidence and demeanor he projects - to me, this shows he knows what he's doing!
Heidi in Warren, NJ – Dec 22, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Farshad Abir, MD?
Dr Abir was amazing, i was nervous about what was in front of me and he made me feel very confident and comfortable. His bed side manor was great and always put me at ease. The recovery from the surgery was quicker than expected, which i owe to DR Abir and how he performed the procedure. I had met with other Dr's prior and the recovery time would have been much longer. I would recommend DR Abir to any of my friends or family.
Dan E. in Basking Ridge, NJ – Dec 21, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Farshad Abir, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Abir?

• Colorectal Surgery