Dr. Kelly Cunningham, MD

Dr. Kelly Cunningham, MD

Orthopedic Sports Medicine  |
Male

University of Texas Austin Summa Cum Laude / Phi Beta Kappa graduate UT Southwestern Dallas MD degree / Hudson Penn award - most outstanding surgical student Internship/residency in general surgery/orthopedic surgery - Parkland, Scottish Rite & Baylor Hospitals, Dallas Fellowships - Norwich, England (orthopaedics); Vancouver, Canada (shoulder); Tahoe & Vail, CO ( knee, sports medicine, US Ski Team physician) AANA peer-reviewed journal article - "Arthroscopic Treatment of Discoid Lateral Meniscus: Results of Long-Term Follow-up" 26 -year private practice Austin, TX Austin Sports Medicine 1990-2015 Austin OrthoBiologics 2015-present Board certified, Orthopedic Surgery, emphasis in Sports Medicine Health Policy committee member, Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA) Active member, International Cartilage Repair Society (ICRS) numerous lectureships and teaching courses Two current US and world-wide surgical cartilage repair research studies Married, four children Hobbies include travel, cycling, skiing, historical reading

Kelly Cunningham MD - Austin Ortho Biologics

911 W 38th St Ste 101

• Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas
  • CoreSource
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
  • HealthSmart
  • Medicare
  • Texas True Choice
  • Worker's Compensation

Learn about Dr. Cunningham

My philosophy and passion is personalized treatment and patient care.

As a Dr. Richard Steadman surgical fellow during the development of "microfracture", the world-renown joint cartilage treatment protocol used for the past 25 years to treat knee, shoulder and hip injuries, the next exciting step in recreational athlete care for all ages and abilities is stem cell and PRP/platelet-based biologic and cellular medicine.

In the past three years, I have returned to the Steadman Clinic in Vail, Colo. and studied in Western Europe, where Stem Cell & PRP "cutting-edge" procedures were honed, and now bring them to my 25-year practice in Austin, Texas.

This is the future of orthopedics and both non-surgical and surgical sports medicine, available in Austin today...

Two convenient locations to get you back "on your feet" faster.

Dr. Cunningham's Experience

Dr. Cunningham's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Orthopedic Sports Medicine

• Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) or Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL) Tear
  • Cartilage Tear
  • Elbow Bursitis
  • Elbow Sprain
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Glenoid Labrum Tear
  • Internal Derangement of Knee
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Injuries
  • Knee Sprain
  • Lateral Collateral Ligament (LCL) Sprain
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Ligament Tears

• Knee Osteotomy
  • Knee Surgery
  • Knee Tendon Repair
  • Knee and Leg Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
  • Platelet-Rich Plasma Injection (PRP)
  • Rotator Cuff Surgery

• University Of British Columbia
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1989
  • Norfolk and Norwich Hospital
    Other Education | Completed 1988

Dr. Cunningham has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Cunningham does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Cunningham and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

St. David's Medical Center

is a Recipient of a Healthgrades Excellence Award
America's 100 Best Hospitals Award

Hospital Quality Award

Dr. Cunningham is on the medical staff at our top-rated hospital.

View Awards

Dr. Cunningham's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Cunningham to family and friends
4.2
Dr. Cunningham's Performance
in Austin, TX |
I have been a patient of Dr. Cunningham for a few years now and finally decided to go through with my shoulder surgery after putting it off for 2 years. My experience was amazing and his staff was easily accessible if I had any questions or needed to schedule a quick appt. to come in. I would highly recommend Dr. Cunningham!
in Austin, TX |
Dr. Cunningham mixes old school medicine with sound new approaches resulting in the least invasive and most effective procedure. For a 60 year old guy like me, being able to return to full activities was a blessing. Kelly is a great communicator and really listens. I highly recommend him to those seeking treatment for their injuries or conditions.
in Austin, TX |
I went to see Dr. Cunningham with a shoulder problem. Even though the x-ray was inconclusive he knew there was a problem and sent me to have an MRI. I had an 80% tear in my rotator cuff. 3 months after surgery (with stem cell injection) my shoulder is almost back to normal. I am back in my workout routine and only have slight soreness swinging a tennis racquet or golf club.
in Austin, TX |
My wife had a bone spur on her socket joint in her hip but didn't know it. Just pain. Dr. Cunningham was not known to us, but was part of our network. We made an emergency appointment. From that point onward, he and his team did a great job dealing with her pain and then surgery and rehab. We could not be more pleased with both his capabilities and his suggestions for recovery. His services are not cheap (actually are pretty expensive), but in our view well worth it.
Dr. Cunningham has operated on me 3 times - 2 shoulders & 1 hip with a labral tear & bond spurs. During the hip surgery he used the stem cells procedure then afterward I needed 2 PRP's. My hip has fully recovered and back to like-new. When the other hip started bothering me, MRI showed labral tear. So far, I've had 1 PRP and it's feeling much better - with a labral tear before it would have been surgery as the only option but with PRP and stem cell now there are non-surgical options.
in Austin, TX |
I'm a local firefighter and recently tore the meniscus in my knee for the second time. I saw Dr. Cunningham on the recommendation of a coworker. I couldn't be happier with the results. After determining that my meniscus was indeed torn again, Dr. Cunningham suggested a cartilage graft and stem cell injection in addition to the meniscectomy. The results were better than I hoped for, I had a quick recovery and I'm able to run again, which I wasn't able to do even before this second injury.
in Austin, TX |
Over the past year, I have had great results getting PRP treatments for my hips. I had heard good things about PRP and was familiar with Dr. Cunningham and his reputation so I opted out of surgery recommended by another doctor and began PRP. Prior to PRP , I had pain daily and was limited to walking short distances. After my first treatment, I had great results and was able to resume normal activities, including moderate excercise 3-4 times per week. I will definitely continue this path!
Austin, TX |
I was diagnosed with a partial rotator cuff tear. Dr. Cunningham and his staff gave me excellent, personable treatment throughout the whole process. A few months later, I'm close to a 100%.
in Schertz, TX |
Dr. Cunningham handle my surgery with true care and professionalism. He treated me like a real person and not just a patient. I would definitely use his practoce again. His staff was also nothing short of excellent!
in Austin, TX |
Dr. Cunningham is an expert in his field. He has done work for the Dallas Cowboys and Olympians which gave me plenty of confidence in his ability to cure and fix my shoulder issues. He was patient, listened, and was not pushing in anyway which I appreciated very much. I would recommend Dr. Cunningham and staff to friends and family.
Austin, Texas |
Phenomenal!! Called them to check for cancellations, (I got lucky I know) but they squeezed me in. When I walked in, I was greeted with warm smiles and friendly faces. They didn't seem bothered in the least to help out!! A lot of Medical stuff has to do with insurance, but these guys brought the personal aspect back!!
in Austin, TX |
I had a previous ACL repair and scar tissue manipulation prior to visiting Dr.Cunningham. It wasn't a bad repair, but I had excessive amounts of scar tissue preventing me from full range of motion. My leg was just stuck bent and I had been walking with a limp for 9 months. I then saw Dr.Cunningham and he informed me I needed a more aggressive approach at removing the scar tissue. He took his time and explained everything clearly. After a long and tedious surgery I am able to walk normal!
in Cedar Park, TX |
Dr. Cunningham repaired my left shoulder/bicep back in 2008. I recently destroyed the bicep again and was lucky enough to track down Dr. Cunningham at his new location. He performed a bicep tendonesis, arthroscopic chondroplasty, abrasion arthroplasty, labral debridement and subacromial bursectomy. I had the surgery performed on November 11, 2016 and will have a full release on January 16, 2017. I am extremely happy with the results and am back to doing the things I love to do.
in Liberty hill, TX |
Dr Cunningham did Knee, (Meniscus tear) surgery on me about 10 years ago and results were great. I recently had Rotator cuff issues and went to see him. He did some repairs arthroscopically. I am 90 days out and feeling great. Dr Cunningham is very personable and straight to the point. I have already recommended him to several friends.
in Austin, TX |
This is my second shoulder surgery with Dr. Cunningham. Two years ago he performed surgery on my right rotator cuff, and last week he did the left shoulder. The two experiences could not be more different! Two years ago I struggled with the rehab and healing progression with the right shoulder - long and painful. This time, I elected to have stem cell therapy and the healing process is completely different. I have minimal discomfort, greater movement and I can sleep!
in Austin, TX |
Dr. C. gave me stem-cell and PRP injections in my ankle almost 2 months ago. Until then I couldn't walk or even do gym workouts, and I certainly couldn't wear even modest heels. I had surgery 2.5 years ago after I twisted it and cracked a bone. It hasn't been pain-free since the surgery. I'm noticing big improvements since the injections from Dr. C. I walked 4 (!) miles today without any pain or swelling. I've been doing kettle-bell workouts, lunges, and squats in the gym with no ill effects.
in Smithville, TX |
I have had both surgery and PRP injections with good results. I plan to continue to see Dr. Cunningham for any future needs.
in Flatonia, Tx |
I've been a patient of Dr Cunningham since 1997 and would never consider using another Dr My trust in Dr Cunningham has been passed on to my three children. They have all been his patient at some time during their high school sporting days. I really like the new offices So much calmer than other Dr offices. Dr Cunningham always takes the time to exam me and explain throughly my diagnoses. I'm a fan!!!
in Austin, Texas |
Very knowledgeable and gave me several options for my care. Staff was very friendly and helpful. I'm glad I was seen, because my condition could have become worse had I not seen Dr. Cunningham. Thank you for the help.
in Pflugerville, TX |
I have been a patient of Dr Cunningham since he performed my first surgery in 2010 and he, his practice, bed side manners as well as the office staff have gone completely down hill. In fact I may have been blinded to his practice before and just never knew it as we have not had one successful procedure yet. Now his new practice is all about pushing not insurance covered stem-cell therapy down on you and I had this instant weird I shouldn't be here feeling while I was there. I hope those of y
With the addition of regenerative sports medicine in my 25-year practice, we felt our patients would be best served by two smaller, more efficient & cost-conscious offices. To get new offices running smoothly is always a challenge, but one we have worked hard to achieve & pass on the lower overhead to our cash-paying patients. Some cutting-edge treatments we offer are not yet covered by insurance. The patient always has a choice of these or other, older modalities and we review them fully.
Cedar Park, TX |
Unfortunately he is one of those doctors who care about the money, not the wellbeing of his patients. Twice he tried to send me to a facility out of network because he felt more comfortable (MRI location & physical therapy) ie: kickbacks. I didn't feel I could trust him because having had surgery before, once my MRI came back normal, he was still discussing the option of surgery with me, frustrating! Then to top it all off, he tried charging me for an injection (for MRI) that he never did!
The last impression we hope to give is of money! However. in the current state of healthcare, some advanced tests such as specialized MRI may fall outside of insurance coverage, leading to understandable patient confusion & frustration. Providing regenerative joint & sports medicine is admittedly not always cost efficient. Our goal is stellar, personalized cutting-edge care, based on Dr. Cunningham's years of (& ongoing) study & research, to yield a successful, active outcome for our patients.
Have you seen Dr. Kelly Cunningham, MD?

Visit Dr. Cunningham

Dr. Cunningham accepts 15 insurance carriers
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas
    Blue Advantage HMO
    Blue Choice
  • CoreSource
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
    GEHA