Dr. Erik Hansen, MD

Dr. Erik Hansen, MD

Orthopedic Surgery  |
Male
Dr. Erik Hansen, MD is an orthopedic surgery doctor who practices in San Francisco, CA. He has been practicing for 12 years. Read his story

1500 Owens St

San Francisco, CA 94158

• Blue Cross Blue Shield of California
  • Blue Shield of California

Learn about Dr. Hansen

See how frequently Dr. Hansen performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Knee Disorders
Complications of Joint Prosthesis
Osteoarthritis of Hip

Dr. Hansen's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Hansen's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Hansen "Dr. Erik N. Hansen is an Assistant Professor of Clinical Orthopaedic Surgery in the Arthroplasty Division at UCSF and serves as the clinical fellowship director. His clinical and academic interests revolve around primary total joint arthroplasty, including the direct anterior approach to hip replacement surgery, as well as complex revision surgery."

• Joint Replacement Orthopedic Surgery

Dr. Hansen does not have any board certifications listed.

• Ankle Fracture
  • Arthritis of the Elbow
  • Coccygeal Pain
  • Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • Elbow Bursitis
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Femur Fracture
  • Hip Fracture
  • Hip Sprain
  • Internal Derangement of Knee
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Fracture
  • Knee Sprain
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Limb Cramp

• Shoulder Fracture Treatment
  • Shoulder Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
  • Spinal Nerve Block
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate

No malpractice history found for California.

• Stanford University
    Undergraduate School | Graduated
  • University Of California, San Francisco, School Of Medicine
    Medical School | Graduated 2005
  • Rothman Inst/Thomas Jefferson U
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed

Dr. Hansen has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Hansen has no media or publications listed.

• Chinese, Mandarin

Dr. Hansen does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Hansen and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Hansen's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Hansen to family and friends
Dr. Hansen's Performance
in Sebastopol, CA |
Dr. Hansen did a revision of may left knee two weeks ago. So far the recovery is going well, and I have been very satisfied with my care.
in San Francisco |
Dr. Hansen is a superb, brilliant as well as kind surgeon who performed two hip replacements las year. He is a consummate professional. Such a nice person.
in Walnut Creek |
This was my 2nd knee replacement. I had my right knee done 6 years ago. To date, my experience has been more positive than the previous replacement. The pre surgery planning was more detailed from a patient perspective. And the procedure was less invasive than the 1st replacement.
in San Francisco |
Hansen and his team are excellent. Very conscientious. Quick to respond to any questions I might have.
in Mill Valley, CA |
Dr Hansen performed a full hip replacement on me using an anterior approach. He is very knowledgeable, patient and explains himself well. His staff is also very knowledgeable and patient. Their office is very responsive to phone calls and emails . Going into the procedure I was very confident in Dr Hansen and his staff! The hospital staff and overnight stay was also excellent. As far as medical procedures go, this has been pleasant!
in Sausalito, CA |
Smart and technically superior. He works at UCSF, so expect to have the best back up care. Keep in mind surgeons don't do very much hand holding in general, so just use this team because they are the best. Get your love at home. They're nurse Rachel is outstanding.
in Stockton, CA |
Two thumbs up. Great surgeon and pleasant doctor. Excellent successor to Dr. Murray. Thanks for your expertise!
in San Francisco, CA |
My experience with Dr. Hansen has been extremely positive, from bedside manner to surgical competence. I recommend him without reservation.
San Francisco, CA |
The experience of my hip replacement has been 100% excellent. It is hard to imagine better. Dr Hansen was present and available for all questions, compassionate and confidence-inspiring. And supported by a great team and hospital system.
in Carmel,CA |
I have found Dr Hansen helpful and thorough. He communicates clearly and with great patience..He is very knowledgeable and skilled and I feel very fortunate to have him as my doctor.. I feel confident in giving him my highest recommendation.
in Lathrop, CA |
Dr. Hansen is an excellent surgeon!
in San Bruno, CA |
make's you feel comfortable imformative,explains thoroughly tells it like it is I would highly recommend the Dr.Erik Hansen to any patient who is looking for help.
in San Francisco |
I am a professional athlete, teaching martial arts for years. Over the last 4 decades, I've developed a deep relationship with my body. I've had trouble with past health providers asking them to speak to my experience, only to be treated as a number. Erik truly listened to me; he heard my fears and took them in to consideration. He went out of his way to establish a relationship with me, listened to my stories and took all of it in to account when planning my surgery and subsequent recovery.
Mountain View, CA |
Dr. Hansen is an excellent surgeon. He is compassionate and always takes time to listen. I would highly recommend him and his team.
in Oakland, CA |
Dr. Erik Hansen is absolutely top notch: a skilled surgeon, a caring, warm human being, and accessible when you need him, even during off hours. In June, 2016, he gave me a full hip replacement, which has worked just fine since then.
in Albany, CA |
I am extremely satisfied with Dr Hansen's service. He is very responsive to my concerns and both office and hospital care is very organized and efficient. I would definitely recommend him.
in San Francisco, CA |
Dr Hansen was bot very professional and personal. I cannot say enough good things about the operation and the process from beginning to end. I highly recommend Dr Hansen, his team and UCSF for their seemless and helpful operational process from diagnosis to follow-up care and caring concern.
Albany, CA |
Dr. Hansen is the best! I've had TWO hip replacements and am extremely satisfied with his care, attention, and explanations. He seems to have good people skills and listens well, which is really special in a surgeon who is as busy as he is. His team and all hospital personnel respect him and they all seem to work well together.
in San Francisco, CA |
Dr. Hansen and his staff have always exceeded my expectations. He has now performed two hip replacements for me, and the operations have dramatically changed my quality of life for the better.
in Orinda, CA |
Dr. Hansen is possibly the kindest, most gentle doctor I know. My hip complications were so extreme there were only two doctors in the Bay Area who were recommended to me. Dr Hansen was one and I am so happy I chose him. He calmed my nerves, shares enough of his expertise to let you know he's capable and truly cares about you. Only problem is he is so good, he's hard to get into see.
San Francisco, CA |
Dr Hanson replaced one of my knees, which is healing beautifully and already functioning better than my old knee. He has excellent bedside manner and his support teamof PAs, RNs and residents are all fantastic. My other knee has only a year or two left and I'll be returning when the time comes.
Los Gatos, CA |
Dr. Hansen is a very skilled and kind surgeon. I was pleased with all the care from him and all of the wonderful staff at the UCSF Orthopedic clinic.
Corte Madera, CA |
I had double hip replacement surgery. Dr. Erik Hansen and his team are outstanding!
in San Francisco, CA |
Dr. Hansen is a great surgeon. He performed my hip replacement exactly as he said he would and I am completely satisfied with my new hip.
San Francisco, CA |
Dr. Hansen and his team responded to my telephone calls in a very timely manner and answered all the questions and concerns I had during my three weeks of rehab. It was reassuring and gave me a sense of safety knowing that they were there for me.
in Aptos, Ca. |
The entire experience from checking in at reception to leaving the appointment is very orderly and efficient. There is never an undue wait time and all staff are very friendly and helpful. I feel very lucky to have such a skilled orthopedic surgeon. Neil van Kaathoven
San Francisco, CA |
Dr. Hansen surgery was great he's very attentive surgeon and excellent bedside manner.
Novato, CA |
Dr. Hansen replaced my right hip six months ago and my left one two weeks ago. I should have done them years ago. I have complete and total trust in him. A very good experience. My hips are like new. The pain is gone and so is my limp. He's compassionate, caring and always open and sincere.
in Vallejo, CA |
My experience with Dr. Hansen was very professional and pleasant. He explained to me what to expect before during and after the procedure.
in Colusa, CA |
The surgery and following care in the hospital was excellent. Dr. Hansen is as skilled as any surgeon can be and he has great bedside manner as well.
in San Jose, CA |
I had a 1st hip replacement 3 years ago with a different doctor (also excellent) but this time around, my recovery time was much faster! I was able to walk on the same day on my own without a cane. The technique he uses is almost miraculous. When I got home 24h later, no one believed I had the surgery! Within a week, i was able to walk 4 miles. He's my hero! Thank you Dr. Hansen.
in Plymouth, CA |
Dr. Hansen operated on my right hip, that had two previous operations done to it. The first being a hip replacement, the second being a fix to the first operation. My wife was so concerned about the 3rd operation, which was replacing the first hip that was put in, she had my brother a Surgeon be at the hospital, during and after the operation. My brother told me Dr. Hansen, and his whole team really impressed him, as being totally professional before, during, and after the long procedure.
in Petaluma, CA |
Dr. Hansen is kind and compassionate as well as very professional. He and UCSF were recommended to me by a family friend who is also a surgeon ( in Ukiah) and I would recommend him highly to anyone needing knee or hip surgery.
in Stockton, CA |
Dr. Hansen in my opinion is the very best othropetic surgeon that l have met and would highly recommend him to others that need knee replacement. I am more than happy with my recent surgery.
Los Banos, CA |
Dr. Hansen and the staff at UCSF are extremely organized and informative. You will know exactly what will be happening, how it will happen and who are the people to contact for your particular questions. After the surgery, Dr. Hansen and the nurses stay in communication via email, health loop and telephone. They immediately respond to any questions you may have and always making you feel at ease.
El Cerrito, CA |
Dr. Hansen seems very knowledgeable and thorough. His answers to questions make sense. Even better is the My Chart system (and the Health Loop) as online tools for patients to get prompt information about any questions, or for the doctor to follow up surgery with advice.
Dr. Hansen and his staff are the best. I won the lottery when Dr. Hansen took my case(turned down by 3 doctors in my area) he was able to repair my damaged hip/pelvic area. At first I wasn't sure if I would like him, he was very serious and professional. After 1-2 visits I realized he is a very caring doctor and wanted me to understand my case wasn't just a normal hip revision. He is wonderful at explaining what will be done during surgery, wonderful with family too. Love him and his staff.
Alameda |
Dr. Hansen is an outstanding surgeon. He just did my hip replacement surgery after doing the first one. The first one is now pretty much pain free, and it was pretty awful about a year ago. A life changer!
San Francisco, CA |
Dr. Hansen and his team were top notch from first consultation to his pre-op and post-op check-in's through his Health Loop portal which allowed for frequent check-in's, almost "instant" responses post-op and excellent overall care. Along with his high level of skills as a surgeon, he has excellent communications skills and is a good listener. His entire team is A-1.
in Salinas, CA |
I have been a patient of Dr. Hansen's since August 2015 when he performed a Hip Revision on my right hip. He also performed a second operation to uniquely repair the Greater Throchanter a month later. By January 2016 I was back at work full time. By the summer of 2016 I was mountain biking 40 to 50 miles a week. I found the knowledge, experience, and empathy for my condition by Dr. Hansen and his staff were instrumental in my recovery. I have returned to all of my normal activities.
in Oakland, CA |
Dr. Hansen and his fabulous team replaced my arthritic right hip. His surgical skills and caring attentiveness made my recovery remarkably easy. Within three weeks of surgery, I returned to my daily hikes in the Woods. And the incision is already barely noticeable...8 weeks out. He's a very good surgeon and a classy human being.
San Jose, CA |
Takes time to sit and address concerns with respectful communication
in San Francisco, CA |
Has an empathic bedside manner that goes a long way!
in San Francisco, CA |
Had total Left hip replacement surgery in February 2016. Great results, minimum pain after the surgery, I was authorized to walk home from the hospital with my hiking stick (2 blocks away from UCSF) the next day after the surgery. Recovery was easy and fast and there is no discrepancy in leg length. Could walk better and was more functional 2 weeks post-surgery then i was prior to the surgery. Thank you DR Hansen
in Oakland, CA |
Dr. Hansen is very professional. He spends enough time with me to both explain what needs to be done and to allow me to both digest what's been said as well to ask questions. The office staff is very friendly and efficient. It's fast and easy to schedule appointments and you won't have to wait a long time for your scheduled visit.
in El Sobrante, CA |
Dr. Hansen is knowledgable, professional, personable and he truly cares about a patients quality of life and care. He performed a right knee implant and my quality of life without major pain is gone. I still have a few more months of rehab but I was truly blessed to have such a great surgeon and his staff are amazing. Dr. Hansen is a shining star in the UCSF system and along with his caring staff it's such a nice relief to know I am being cared for by the best of the best.
in San Francisco, CA |
Gratitude. I cannot over state how positive my experience with UCSF & particularly Dr. Hansen has been. My experience was one of declining, debilitating, ever-more painful issues with my left hip. It affected every aspect of my life. The pain manifested itself in my butt, hip, back, down the leg, My muscles were atrophying. My range of motion severely limited. It was on my mind continually. I couldn't stand nor sit and have a dinner or conversation or concentrated work without gritting my teet
in San Mateo, CA |
Dr. Erik Hansen is an amazing human being and a gifted surgeon. In 2015 I had 2 total knee replacement surgeries and he was extremely patient with each case and treated me with respect for each surgery and didn't just assume that I knew everything from the previous experience. He spent a lot of time explaining everything. Dr. Hansen is personable and does his job with integrity and professionalism--not easy to find in tandem. I recommend wholeheartedly Dr. Hansen for any type of surgery.
Have you seen Dr. Erik Hansen, MD?
Are you Dr. Hansen?