Dr. Eric Halvorson, MD

Dr. Eric Halvorson, MD

General Surgery  ·
Dr. Eric Halvorson, MD is a general surgery specialist in Asheville, NC and has been practicing for 12 years. He graduated from Duke University in 1998 and specializes in general surgery and plastic surgery.Read his story

5 Livingston St

Asheville, NC 28801

Learn about Dr. Halvorson

See how frequently Dr. Halvorson performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Breast Surgical Procedure
Breast Reconstruction
Nipple Reconstruction

Dr. Halvorson's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Halvorson's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Halvorson "I grew up in Maplewood, NJ and went to Bates College in Maine. I attended Duke University School of Medicine and completed a general surgery residency at Brown University where I was given the "outstanding chief resident" award. I then completed a plastic surgery residency at Lahey Clinic that included rotations at Brigham & Women's Hospital, Children's Hospital of Boston, and Maine Medical Center. Throughout my surgical training, my goal was to become the most comprehensive surgeon possible. To that end, I pursued a fellowship in microsurgery and breast reconstruction at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center. After 8 years of surgical training, I started my professional career at UNC Chapel Hill, where I developed a comprehensive cancer reconstruction program and became Residency Program Director. I was subsequently recruited to Brigham & Women's Hospital and joined the faculty of Harvard Medical School. There I became Site Director for the Harvard Combined Plastic Surgery Residency and Director of the Stepping Strong Trauma Reconstruction Fellowship. During my third year in Boston, I was selected from over 50 Harvard faculty to receive the annual teaching award. Although the rich academic environment in Boston was rewarding, a desire to focus on patient care, spend more time with my family, and explore the mountains of WNC brought us to Asheville. My clinical practice and research have focused on improving outcomes in cancer reconstruction and plastic surgery of the breast. I have written numerous journal articles and chapters, and I have presented my research at national and international conferences. I serve on the editorial boards of Annals of Plastic Surgery and the Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery. I am certified by both the American Board of Surgery and the American Board of Plastic Surgery, and I am an active member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. In my free time, I enjoy spending time with my wife and 3 children, mountain biking, road biking, playing guitar, listening to music, cooking, and craft beer."

This content was provided by Dr. Halvorson "I am incredibly fortunate because I love what I do. Getting to know my patients, developing individualized treatment plans, and providing safe and evidence-based surgical care make my job meaningful. I believe in a patient-centered approach to plastic surgery. Although I am proud of my education, training, and professional accomplishments, the most important thing that you will get from me as a patient is honesty and an evidence-based approach to patient care. I am a people person, not a salesman.

My practice is structured to allow me to spend time with you. This is the most fundamental part of being a doctor, and I take it very seriously. Understanding your perspective and learning your preferences is very important to me, as it forms the foundation of a relationship built on trust and a treatment plan that will meet your expectations. I want you to feel like you are you, not like you've had plastic surgery."

• General Surgery

• Aging Face
  • Breast Cancer
  • Capsular Contracture of Breast Implant
  • Congenital Anomalies of Breast
  • Moles (Benign Skin Lesions)
  • Skin Aging

No malpractice history found for North Carolina.

• Duke University
    Medical School | Graduated 1998
  • Brown University / Alpert Medical School
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2003
  • Lahey Clinic
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2005
  • Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2006

Dr. Halvorson has no media or publications listed.

• French

Dr. Halvorson does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Halvorson and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Halvorson's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Halvorson

Dr. Halvorson?
Dr. Halvorson's Performance
What People Say About Dr. Eric Halvorson, MD
RecentHighestLowest
When our 2 year old daughter needed surgery on her face we wanted a specialist that would understand her growing skin & what being a girl w/a scar on her face could do to her. Dr Halverson was recommended to us by several nursing colleagues & we couldn't be more happy w/him & his work! He is very,...Read More
Penrose, NC – Dec 06, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Eric Halvorson, MD?
I was diagnosed with Stage 3 Breast Cancer at the age of 36 and other than surviving, finding the best plastic surgeon for my reconstruction was the next most important item on my list. I absolutely found this with Dr. Eric Halvorson. I had superb care from beginning to end. He was kind,...Read More
Chelmsford – Oct 13, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Eric Halvorson, MD?
He does a good job. He's probably the best surgeon I could have found in my area.
Mary in Springfield, MA – Dec 03, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Eric Halvorson, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Halvorson?