Dr. Eric Halvorson, MD

Dr. Eric Halvorson, MD

Plastic Surgery | Male

I am incredibly fortunate because I love what I do. Getting to know my patients, developing individualized treatment plans, and providing safe and evidence-based surgical care make my job meaningful. I believe in a patient-centered approach to plastic surgery. Although I am proud of my education, training, and professional accomplishments, the most important thing that you will get from me as a patient is honesty and an evidence-based approach to patient care. I am a people person, not a salesman.

My practice is structured to allow me to spend time with you. This is the most fundamental part of being a doctor, and I take it very seriously. Understanding your perspective and learning your preferences is very important to me, as it forms the foundation of a relationship built on trust and a treatment plan that will meet your expectations. I want you to feel like you are you, not like you've had plastic surgery.

I grew up in Maplewood, NJ and went to Bates College in Maine. I attended Duke University School of Medicine and completed a general surgery residency at Brown University where I was given the "outstanding chief resident" award. I then completed a plastic surgery residency at Lahey Clinic that included rotations at Brigham & Women's Hospital, Children's Hospital of Boston, and Maine Medical Center. Throughout my surgical training, my goal was to become the most comprehensive surgeon possible. To that end, I pursued a fellowship in microsurgery and breast reconstruction at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center.

After 8 years of surgical training, I started my professional career at UNC Chapel Hill, where I developed a comprehensive cancer reconstruction program and became Residency Program Director.  I was subsequently recruited to Brigham & Women's Hospital and joined the faculty of Harvard Medical School. There I became Site Director for the Harvard Combined Plastic Surgery Residency and Director of the Stepping Strong Trauma Reconstruction Fellowship.  During my third year in Boston, I was selected from over 50 Harvard faculty to receive the annual teaching award. Although the rich academic environment in Boston was rewarding, a desire to focus on patient care, spend more time with my family, and explore the mountains of WNC brought us to Asheville.

My clinical practice and research have focused on improving outcomes in cancer reconstruction and plastic surgery of the breast.  I have written numerous journal articles and chapters, and I have presented my research at national and international conferences.  I serve on the editorial boards of Annals of Plastic Surgery and the Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery. I am certified by both the American Board of Surgery and the American Board of Plastic Surgery, and I am an active member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.

In my free time, I enjoy spending time with my wife and 3 children, mountain biking, road biking, playing guitar, listening to music, cooking, and craft beer.

Dr. Halvorson's Experience

See how Dr. Halvorson's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Halvorson

Dr. Halvorson accepts 1 insurance carrier

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Halvorson has admitting privileges.

Dr. Halvorson's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Halvorson to family and friends
based on 5 total surveys (1 with a review)
Dr. Halvorson's Performance
in Springfield, MA |
He does a good job. He's probably the best surgeon I could have found in my area.
Have you seen Dr. Eric Halvorson, MD?
Are you Dr. Halvorson?

Compare Dr. Halvorson

}

Dr. Halvorson's Care Philosophy

Dr. Halvorson says...

We offer the full spectrum of cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgery, with particular expertise in plastic surgery of the breast.  Dr Halvorson went to Duke University School of Medicine and completed residencies in general surgery at Brown University and plastic surgery at Lahey Clinic.  He did a fellowship in breast reconstruction and microsurgery at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center.  He worked for a decade in academic surgery at UNC Chapel Hill and Harvard Medical School / Brigham & Women's Hospital.  He is a nationally renowned expert in the field of cancer reconstruction, microsurgery, and plastic surgery of the breast.  An engaged educator, he was selected to be the residency program director at UNC and the site director for the Harvard Combined Plastic Surgery Residency at Brigham & Women's Hospital.  He was won numerous teaching awards, including the coveted Julian J Pribaz, MD teaching award given to one Harvard plastic surgery faculty each year.

Dr. Halvorson says...

Breast reconstruction with implants and/or tissue flaps, breast augmentation, mastopexy (breast lift), abdominoplasty, liposuction, facelift, blepharoplasty, otoplasty, thigh lift.

Dr. Halvorson's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Plastic Surgery
  •  Board certified in General Surgery and Plastic Surgery

Dr. Halvorson has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for North Carolina.

Why It Matters: Dr. Halvorson's Board Certifications

• General Surgery
  • Plastic Surgery

• Aging Face
  • Breast Cancer
  • Moles (Benign Skin Lesions)
  • Skin Aging

Completed in 2005

Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center

Completed in 2006

• French

Dr. Halvorson does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Halvorson and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Plastic Surgery

• Facial Reconstruction
  • Liposuction
  • Nasal Reconstruction
  • Nipple Reconstruction
  • Nose Plastic Surgery (Rhinoplasty)
  • Reconstructive Eyelid Surgery