Dr. Eric Elowitz, MD

Dr. Eric Elowitz, MD

Neurological Spine Surgery  |

Dr. Eric Elowitz, MD is a neurological spine surgery doctor who practices in New York, NY. He is 56 years old and has been practicing for 35 years. Dr. Elowitz is affiliated with NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center.

Weill Cornell Medicine Center for Comprehensive Spine Care

240 E 59th St Fl 2

New York, NY 10022

• Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield

Learn about Dr. Elowitz

See how frequently Dr. Elowitz performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
Spinal Stenosis
Spine Disorders

Dr. Elowitz's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Elowitz "I am committed to providing state-of-the-art care to my patients using the most advanced minimal-access techniques available.  I work with my patients to develop a personalized treatment plan.  In general, I have a conservative approach to spinal problems and try to avoid surgery when possible.  When surgery is necessary, my goal is to get patients  back to their activities quickly without a prolonged recovery period.  New procedures, new surgical approaches, and new technology can make spine surgery much less invasive than it once was and patients can have faster recovery times with excellent outcomes. "

• Neurological Spine Surgery

• Vertebral Fracture

• Abscess or Cyst Drainage or Aspiration
  • Disc Replacement
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Laminectomy
  • Laminoplasty
  • Laminotomy
  • Neck Surgery
  • Neurosurgical Procedures
  • Spinal Compression Fracture Repair
  • Spinal Fusion
  • Spine Surgery

No malpractice history found for New York.

• State University Of New York Downstate College Of Medicine
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1993

• Alpha Omega Alpha, 1984
  • Summa Cum Laude - Medical School, 1986
  • Young Investigator Award - Section on Tumors AANS, 1998

Dr. Elowitz has no media or publications listed.

• Greek
  • Hebrew
  • Polish
  • Russian
  • Tagalog

Dr. Elowitz does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Elowitz and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Elowitz's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Elowitz to family and friends
4.2
Dr. Elowitz's Performance
in New York, NY |
Dr Elowitz is a brilliant surgeon and speaks clearly and calmly to me. He removed 3 discs from my neck in 2010 in a 5 hour operation. I was partially paralyzed by the time I got to him. It was a complex and delicate procedure. It was completely successful due to Dr. Elowitz’ knowledge and skill. I had no pain after surgery, and I recovered all sensation and strength. I have complete confidence in Dr. Eric Elowitz. Now, I need lower spine surgery, so I have returned to Dr. Elowitz who I trust.
in New York, NY |
Dr. Elowitz is undoubtedly an authority in his field, extremely well educated, compassionate and eager to help. He listened to me carefully and advised me thoroughly about my problem. Personally, I believe that he is serving with excellence others and he is one of the kindest and nicest persons I have met in my life. I feel honored to have met him.
in New York, NY |
Dr. Elowitz gave me a great deal of confidence that, after a lenghy search, I had found a physician and institution who understood my problem and who were committed to providing the least invasive procedure to address it. At this point-three weeks after surgery-l am certain I made the right choice in my doctor and hospital.
Larchmont, NY |
Thoughtful, conservative approach. Impeccable credentials. Warm & friendly demeanor.
in Valley Stream, NY |
I would highly recommend Dr. Elowitz. He is kind, courtious and extremely knowledgeable. Exactly what you want in a doctor. You will not find a more professional Neurosurgeon. It was a great experience working with Dr. Elowitz.
in brooklyn, ny |
Dr. Elowitz has the perfect combination of compassion and confidence. He is a master at what he does and within a week of surgery I was already feeling better than before, walking an hour a day (something that was impossible for me to do before surgery). From my first visit, to the surgery itself and post-surgery---everything was done with care and the highest professionalism. I give Dr. Elowitz and his team my highest recommendation.
in Valley Stream, NY |
Dr. Elowitz performed a laminectomy on my 84 year old mother. Her care was top notch every step of the way and at only 10 days postop, feels great! Dr. Elowitz took into consideration my mother’s age and type of recovery that she would experience and performed the perfect surgery for her. I highly recommend Dr. Elowitz. He is a highly competent neurosurgeon who happens to have a wonderful bedside manner as well. He is always available to speak with regarding questions and concerns.
in Astoria, NY |
Dr. Elowitz operated on my upper spine for a herniated disc and multiple problems. He was very open and free with his time. only after two weeks into recovery I deem it a miracle. I am a professional guitarist and was loosing my ability to work. I experienced immediate relief from pain and every day things get better. He has a great supportive team and I recommend him highly! Ed Pooton
in New York, NY |
I am now a Board Certified MD. Dr. Elowitz saved my life. Because of pain, I would have had to drop out of medical school:: 80,000 dollars in debt at that point, unable to work: depressed, despondent, After seeing numerous orthopedists for consults which involved dramatic amounts of "cutting," my mom found Dr. Elowitz. He removed the worst disc and left the others, stating that he thought with the one very bad disc gone, I would get better. TEN YEARS later, he was correct.
in Hastings-on-Hudson, NY |
I’m an active 80. Well, I was till spinal stenosis pain made walking unbearable. Docs said my age and heart stent made me a surgery risk. A life of pain lay ahead. At Weill-Cornell Spine Center we found Dr Eric Elowitz. He and nurse Ed Butler were reassuring, said I was great candidate for minimally invasive surgery. Day after surgery I took a 1/2-hour pain-free walk. Dr E is a genius! His team, especially Ed and recovery room nurse Jessie, were amazing. Can’t I give Dr E more than 5 stars?
New York, NY |
Dr. Elowitz is a gifted surgeon. He is professional and communicates all of the benefits and risks of surgery. He I can highly recommend him, without hesitation.
New York, NY |
I was suffering intense pain as a result of a herniated lumbar disc. Dr. Elowitz met with me and explained all of the treatment options available without putting any pressure on me to opt for surgery. After considering the options I decided on spinal surgery. The results are miraculous. I am completely pain free, and was out of the hospital in fewer than 24 hours. Dr. Elowitz is a great surgeon and a very sympathetic person.
in New York, NY |
I am indebted to Dr Elowitz for restoring my quality of life following surgery for spinal stenosis in 2014. I found him to be a very low key, genuine, and professional practitioner who took his time answering my questions and was never rushed. I was discharged from the hospital the day after surgery and, although recovery from surgery was understandably painful initially, I was back at work in six weeks (pretty much completely functional in four), and have been pain free for over 2-1/2 years.
in Northport, NY |
After years of chronic debilitating pain and trying various methods of treatments, I finally decided to visit Dr. Eric Elowitz. A friend of mine who was a former patient referred me to him. I underwent microdiscectomy just recently. The entire process from start to finish was easy thanks to the staff and the hospital. I was walking immediately with almost no pain at all. Incredible! Dr. Elowitz and his team changed my life! In addition, NY Presbyterian Hospital is amazing.
in New York, NY |
Dr Elowitz saved me from pain. I had been suffering and other surgeons wanted to do a huge operation. Dr Elowitz performed a minimally invasive surgery and I was out of the hospital the next day. Would highly recommend!b
Probable a proficient surgeon. Unfortunately, his post operative care and support for patient needs is severely lacking. I had spine surgery which did nothing to rectify my pains. Post surgery follow up I was told I see no further surgical solution to your problem and was virtually dismissed. Had a second surgery 5 months later by another surgeon and I am now pain free. Surgery success because I found a Dr that would operate. Most make you wait a year. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND ELOWITZ TO ANYONE.
in New York, NY |
I had constant pain on my left leg for years?I needed spinal surgery. Dr. Elowitz, in a caring and professional way, examined me and presented options to solve my problem. He didn?t rush me and answered my questions. His assistant Ed was also tops, great help. After the surgery, a miracle, NO PAIN or heaviness. For 6 weeks I had to observe limitations on activities and had some post surgery discomfort, which is normal. I am now free of pain, thanks to the excellent work of Dr. Elowitz.
Have you seen Dr. Eric Elowitz, MD?
Are you Dr. Elowitz?

Visit Dr. Elowitz

Dr. Elowitz accepts 4 insurance carriers
  • Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield

Hospitals where Dr. Elowitz has admitting privileges

More Neurosurgery Specialists like Dr. Elowitz at Weill Cornell Medicine Center for Comprehensive Spine Care