Dr. Eric Burdge, MD

Breast Surgical Oncology | Male

Dr. Eric Burdge, MD

I am a board-certified general surgeon who has completed an Interdisciplinary Surgical Oncology Breast Fellowship at UAMS-Winthrop P. Rockefeller Cancer Institute under the tutelage of Dr. V. Suzanne Klimberg. I also serve as the State Air Surgeon (SAS) for the Arkansas Air National Guard. As a surgeon interested in breast disease, I am educated in a multimodality fashion, developing knowledge of benign and malignant conditions. I am trained in molecular epidemiology; genetics; screening and detection; breast imaging; benign breast disease/breast pain; behavioral, medical, surgical, pathological and radiation oncology; biostatistics, and clinical trial design and analysis. I also specialize in Laparoscopic Minimally Invasive Surgery, and General Surgery. Additionally, I conduct advanced Endoscopic and Colonoscopic procedures. My practice has included pediatric surgical cases (i.e., appendectomies, circumcisions, herniorrhaphies, etc.) As the State Air Surgeon (SAS), I ensure the State maintains a viable and healthy force for worldwide deployment. I coordinate with the State's Army National Guard Surgeon as well as other ANG SASs within the Federal Emergency Management Agency region to identify military medical capabilities. I facilitate appropriate use of medical assets mobilized for state or national emergencies and exercise staff oversight of ANG medical activities. As the senior ANG medical officer in the State, I serve as consultant to the Adjutant General (TAG) for all medical issues. I also liaison between NGB/SG and all medical units within the State. Finally, for five years I served as a Clinical Professor for general surgery residents at the Keesler Medical Center in Biloxi, MS which is the largest surgical residency program in the United States Air Force. Specialties: Surgical Breast Oncology, Breast Diseases (benign and malignant), General Surgery, Aerospace Medicine.

...See Less

Dr. Burdge's Care Philosophy

I believe patients undergoing breast cancer treatment deserve good, honest, compassionate care. I am committed to providing the highest quality care in a supportive and comforting environment. I have a patient-centered philosophy, meaning you have the right to expect special attention while receiving cancer treatment. During this trying time, we will support you and meet your physical and emotional needs. We subscribe to the Team Approach using physicians, surgeons, and nurse navigators.

Dr. Burdge's Experience

See how Dr. Burdge's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Burdge

Dr. Burdge accepts 36 insurance carriers

Dr. Burdge is now accepting new patients
    Surgical Breast Oncology190 Welles St Ste 150
    Forty Fort, PA 18704
    (570) 283-2323Get Directions

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Burdge has admitting privileges.

Dr. Burdge's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Burdge to family and friends
    Dr. Burdge Says:

I am humbled and very appreciative of the patients that take the time to share with the breast cancer community their honest experience with the care I render to them and their family members.

Dr. Burdge's Performance
    in Tunkhannock, PA |
    Dr. Burdge is awesome--the best! I am relatively young...36 years old...I felt a lump in my breast and imaging studies were ordered--they were abnormal?! I was referred straightaway to Dr. Burdge. From the get-go, he was matter-of-fact, yet patient and kind. He does his own biopsies and together we discovered that I have breast cancer?! Oh, what a horrid day! BUT, Dr. Burdge compassionately shared the results with me AND he provided me with treatment options---I felt empowered!!!!!!!!!
    Clark Summit, PA |
    Dr. Burdge and my GYN Kathy Forlenza saved my life…I am only 45 and began surveillance as recommended for breast cancer. ALL of my studies (mammogram and ultrasound) were read as BENIGN. Nurse Forlenza was uncomfortable with my breast exam—I have dense breasts, and I was sent to Dr. Burdge for his opinion. Well….he didn’t agree with the breast imaging studies and felt a mass on his breast exam—it turned out to be cancer?! What a blessing to have been guided to his expert hands. Because of the ex
    in Wilkes-Barre, PA |
    Dr. Burdge is nothing but exceptional! I was delinquent in my MMG surveillance…I was behind by 2 yrs. I finally decided to get them done and I received the frightening news that I had an abnormality. I was referred to Dr. Burdge by my PCM with the statement: “He is a true rock star in his field—he is the BEST!” She was spot on!!! Dr. Burdge did my biopsy and confirmed the dreaded breast CA. I requested mastectomy…He was patient and kind, but very direct—funny at times…bottom line, the BEST!!
    in Forty Fort, PA |
    Nothing less than extraordinary! I had an enlarging mass in my breast! I was frightened beyond words. My friend recommended Dr. Burdge—that was the best recommendation of my life. He was very patient. He helped me understand that I needed to have the mass removed, but more importantly, why. He gave me courage to go through the operation. Thank God the results were benign, but I knew that if they were cancer, Dr. Burdge and his wonderful crew would get me through that, too. Highly recommend!!!
    in Kingston, PA |
    Dr. Burdge is a remarkable and unusual (in the good sense of the word) person. I am 80 years old. I had an abnormal mammogram and ultrasound. He sat down and explained everything to me—I understood my diagnosis and treatment options after we discussed the core needle biopsy results. I need further workup before we go to surgery, but I want the community to know how much I value and trust Dr. Burdge and his surgical oncology expertise. He will guide me through this nightmare, God willing…
    in Clark Summit, PA |
    Dr. Burdge is the best! I had an abnormal mammogram and it required a biopsy--needless to say I was VERY apprehensive. Dr. Burdge and his sonography team took this all into stride and put me immediately at ease the day of the biopsy. By the time I left the procedure, my fears had melted away and I was laughing. Thank you Dr. Burdge!!!
    in Clark Summit, PA |
    What a wonderful experience (even if cancer was my fate?!). Great staff. AWESOME doctor/surgeon. Dr. Burdge was very patient and kind throughout the whole process, from breaking the news, to my surgery, to postoperative care, to annual surveillance resumption. Truly a blessing to the Valley--cancer care at its best, right here!!! No more need to hike to Sloan or Fox Chase, or U Penn, or anywhere else. You will NOT be disappointed. Quality care from an exceptional team.
    in Wilkes-Barre, PA |
    Extraordinary and EXCEPTIONAL I love Dr. Burdge--He is my Buddy!!! He is so patient and kind. He always explains to me my breast problems in a way that I can understand them. In the OR, the experience is nothing less than EXCEPTIONAL. I felt well-cared for and new that Dr. Burdge would take good care of me while I was under his knife. Wonderful human being. I refer all of my friends to only Dr. Burdge for the breast needs...
    in Wilkes-Barre, PA |
    Dr. Burdge is phenomenal--nothing short of an answer to my prayers! He is enthusiastic about his job as a breast cancer surgeon. He operated on me--I had a very complex cancer--and his work was nothing short of OUTSTANDING. He is a lifesaver. He is compassionate, kind, and takes as much time as you need to process the new of breast cancer. Best surgeon in the Valley!!!!
    in Wilkes Barre Township, PA |
    What a blessing it was to find Dr. Burdge!!! He diagnosed my breast cancer and was able to offer me a nipple-sparing mastectomy and I am thrilled by the work both he and Dr. Sanders did for me! Both are so patient and understanding, the epitome of compassion and selfless service to women!
    in Wilkes Barre, PA |
    Love this doctor!!!! He is patient, kind, and understanding, but most of all he KNOWS his stuff! Very well informed. Explains everything to me so that I can understand it. He is so very reassuring. I had breast cancer and he saved my life. Exceptional team of nurses and office staff. Do yourself a favor and go to him--he is the only fellowship-trained breast surgeon in the Valley!
    in Wapwallopen,Pa. |
    Dr. Burge is an amazing surgeon. He advised me step by step, the type of cancer I had,and the different treatments available. It is because of Dr. Burge that I am now cancer free. Thank you with all my heart.
    in Wilkes Barre, PA |
    Absolutely stellar! Would recommend again and again. Always above par. Outstanding diagnostics. Great surgeon!
    Have you seen Dr. Eric Burdge, MD?
    Are you Dr. Burdge?

Dr. Burdge's Care Philosophy

Dr. Burdge says...

Finally, for five years I served as a Clinical Professor for surgery residents at Keesler Medical Center in Biloxi, MS which is the largest surgical residency program in the United States Air Force.

Dr. Burdge says...

They simply and honestly confirm my belief that patients undergoing breast cancer treatment deserve good, honest, compassionate care. I am committed to providing the highest quality care in a supportive and comforting environment. I have a patient-centered philosophy, meaning you have the right to expect special attention while receiving cancer treatment. During this trying time, we will support you and meet your physical and emotional needs. We subscribe to the Team Approach using physicians, surgeons, and nurse navigators.

Dr. Burdge's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Breast Surgical Oncology
    •  Board certified in Complex General Surgical Oncology and General Surgery
    •  Malpractice claims in Pennsylvania not available

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Pennsylvania.

Why It Matters: Dr. Burdge's Board Certifications

Graduated in 1989

• Other Education
      Aerospace Medicine Replacement Training Unit Workshop

Completed in 2013

Primary Aerospace Medicine Curriculum Awarding Of Aeronautical Wings and Flight Surgeon Status

Completed in 2012

The University Of Washington (Phd-Bioengineering)

Completed in 1996

Usaf School Of Aerospace Medicine

Completed in 2012

Dr. Burdge does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Burdge and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Breast Surgical Oncology