Dr. Eric Black, MD

Dr. Eric Black, MD

Orthopedic Surgery  |
Male
Dr. Eric Black, MD is an orthopedic surgery doctor who practices in Florham Park, NJ.

140 Park Ave Fl 2

Florham Park, NJ 07932

• Amerihealth
  • Capital Blue Cross
  • EmblemHealth
  • Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield
  • Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey

Learn about Dr. Black

See how frequently Dr. Black performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Shoulder Tendinitis and Tenosynovitis
Shoulder Disorders
Joint Pain

Dr. Black's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Black "I enjoy treating patients of all ages and levels of ability. I believe it is important to develop individualized treatment plans that address each of my patient's unique needs and maximize their function.

Most importantly, I believe it is essential to be conservative with surgery, and always explore nonsurgical options first when appropriate."

• Non-Surgical Orthopedics

• Elbow Fracture
  • Elbow Sprain
  • Femur Fracture
  • Foot Fracture
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Glenoid Labrum Tear
  • Golfer's Elbow (Medial Epicondylitis)
  • Gout
  • Hand Fracture
  • Hip Fracture
  • Hip Pointer Injuries
  • Internal Derangement of Knee
  • Knee Fracture
  • Knee Sprain
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) Sprain
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Non-Unions and Malunions of Fractures
  • Shoulder Pain
  • Shoulder Tendinitis and Tenosynovitis
  • Sjögren's Syndrome
  • Systemic Chondromalacia
  • Tennis Elbow (Lateral Epicondylitis)
  • Tibia and Fibula Fractures

• Shoulder Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
  • Synovial Biopsy
  • Total Shoulder Replacement
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate

No malpractice history found for New Jersey.

• Harvard College
    Internship Hospital | Completed
  • Harvard Combined Orthopedic Residency Program
  • Thomas Jefferson University
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed

Dr. Black has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Black does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Black and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Black's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Black to family and friends
Dr. Black's Performance
in Short Hills, NJ |
There are not enough superlatives to describe my experience with Dr. Black. He was my third opinion on a complex shoulder reconstruction (including 2 doctors in NYC). His recommendations, explanations of the procedure, and bedside manner were superior to say the least. Now 1 year after a complex revision, I have no pain and full function. Kudos, doc, you saved my arm!
in Bedminster, NJ |
Our 12 year old son had a pretty unusual injury to his arm and shoulder. He ended up requiring part of the bone be reattached, repair to the rotator cuff and reattachment of the bicep. We interviewed with 3 doctors and we were the most at ease with Dr. Black. The entire staff both in his office and the day of the surgery were all very understanding, compassionate and caring. If asked, I would recommend Dr, Black to anyone, whether it is an an adult or child.
in cranford, nj |
had TSR great results recommend him highly.
in Pequannock, NJ |
Absolutely satisfied with the attention to detail and professionalism of Dr. Black and his staff. Went in for a bicep repair and am back to work with great recovery. Thank you very much to Dr Black as well as to your staff and the outstanding physical therapist (Robyn Grazino) you had me working with. Thankfully yours P.O. N Snook 111
Pompton Plains, NJ |
Dr. Black is fantastic!! He has a great bedside manner, will spend the time to explain your situation and options to fix any problems. He makes himself accessible via phone and email. He was extremely patient when I was asking a ton of questions prior to my shoulder reconstruction surgery. He made it a point to connect with me post surgery as well. I am happy to say, it has been a year since my surgery and all is well! Dr. Black is top notch & I highly recommend him!
I met Dr.Black late last year for a consultation in regards to my needed shoulder surgery. I had an anterior and superior labral tear and Dr.Black went in there and did a great job. What caught my attention is the fact that after surgery for consecutive days he called me personally to check to see how I was feeling. I am now 5 months out of surgery and feel great! Recovery went smooth all thanks to Dr.Black. I would recommend him to anyone who is looking for a great surgeon!
in Somerset, NJ |
I am very pleased with the successful outcome of my shoulder surgery. After 3 months I was playing golf and after 5 months playing tennis. I expect a full recovery with no limitations. And I would definitely recommend Dr Black to all my family and friends needing surgery. I began physical therapy at 4 weeks and continued 3 times a week for 5 months.
in Morristown, NJ |
Dr Black and staff are very professional and welcoming. They were terrific from initial visit through surgery and follow up appointments. I was always treated with respect and felt I received exceptional care. Most importantly, my shoulder surgery was very successful. Dr. Black exceeded my expectations in every way.
in Hoboken, NJ |
Dr. Black operated my left shoulder one year ago. Now I can chase my husband and hit him like never before. Thank you Doctor, Rita Honl
Atlanta, GA |
Dr. Black performed rotator cuff surgery and biceps tendon repair. He explained the surgery to my satisfaction, my recovery progressed as he said it would, he recommended a great physical therapist, and I'm cleared to play tennis! With Dr. Black, I felt I was getting a surgeon with knowledge of the latest techniques but still with significant experience. I couldn't recommend him more.
in South Orange |
My experience with Dr. Black has been nothing short of excellent. He is everything you expect from a Doctor and Surgeon. I had surgery to repair just about everything there is to repair in a shoulder and due to his excellent work and the dedicated PT staff at Summit Medical I am fully functional a month early. Just amazing! His communication skills, bedside and accessibility is phenomenal. I can't say enough about how good and confident I feel while under his care. You need look no further.
in Bridgewater, NJ |
I have had 6 surgeries and lots of experience with Doctors. Dr. Black is the best. He replaced my left shoulder just after a year ago, and as an active 44 year old, it could not have been better. I am pain free and have more range of motion than I did in high school. Dr. Black spent time with my wife and I, and suggested different options for both of my shoulders. He even responded to an email I sent at 8PM on a Friday. I thought I would hear from him on Monday morning. Incredible doctor!
in Jersey City, NJ |
Exceptional doctor, explained himself, gave options and suggested course of action to follow depending on MRI results. Very friendly and personable which is important in choosing a physician.
in Morristown, NJ |
4th rotator cuff surgery. Previous 3 were not performed by Dr. Black. Dr. Black performed the 3rd surgery on my left shoulder. Dr. Black explained his concerns about performing a 3rd surgery. Bottom line: during surgery Dr. Black noticed something that did not seem right. Versus doing the repair, he decided to investigate why. He found a previous issue that had gone undetected. A lower interior tear that never was detected on an MRI. He spent an additional 2 hours in surgery to correct. Fabulous
in Short Hills, NJ |
I am very fortunate that my fractured with dislocation elbow was treated by Dr. Eric Black. He is a true "primum non nocere" Doctor. His conservative approach and recommendations for the type and duration of PT resulted in the complete recovery of my elbow without a loss of mobility. In six months I 've regained 98% of flexibility and 100% of extension of the elbow. Would recommend to any one full-hardheartedly.
Manville, NJ |
Dr. Black came as advertised, i.e., the guy you want to see for a torn labrum and bicep. Having experienced a shoulder repair in the past (on the opposite shoulder), I was not looking forward to another surgery and the recovery period. Dr. Black delivered, however, on his promise to minimize the inconvenience - no sling 7 days after surgery - and his aggressive approach to physical therapy aided a quicker return to normalcy in most things prior to discharge from his care after 6 months.
in DENVILLE NJ |
DR BLACK IS AN EXCEPTIONAL ORTHOPEDIC SURGEON, HE IS EMPATHETIC TO YOUR CONCERNS REGARDING YOUR PERSONAL MEDICAL CONDITION. DR BLACK MAKES YOU FEEL VERY COMFORTABLE WHEN YOU ARE SPEAKING WITH HIM, HE UNDERSTANDS YOUR CONCERNS AND REALLY DOES LISTEN TO YOU. I AM VERY PLEASED WITH THE OUTCOME OF MY SURGERY,. MY SHOULDER WAS A REAL MESS, ALL TORN UP AND SHREDDED, HOWEVER DR BLACK USED SOME TECHNIQUES THAT OTHER ORTHOS DO NOT USE. I WOULD RECOMMEND DR ERIC BLACK TO ANY FRIENDS/FAMILY. SINCERELY,
in Sandyston,NJ |
I used to be in excruciating pain due to bone on bone arthritis in both shoulders. My quality of life was horrible. Dr.Black performed total shoulder replacement surgery on my left shoulder on July 10, 2016. The surgery was such a success, I couldn't wait to get my other shoulder done. So, just 3 months later,on Oct.18th,Dr. Black replaced my right shoulder. There are not enough superlatives to describe Dr. Black. He is a gifted surgeon and a genuinely nice and caring man. Thank you, Dr.Black!
in Whitehouse Station, NJ |
I can't say enough positive things about Dr. Black. I went to him for a second opinion on frozen shoulder after having had acromioplasty and repair of rotator cuff the year before. He very efficiently ordered an MRI and diagnosed the problem. I had arthroscopy to remove the anchor that had come loose as well as all the scar tissue that had formed. I immediately had great ROM and minimal pain. I wish I saw him earlier! His entire team at the office and at the surgical center were top notch.
in New Providence, NJ |
I had shoulder surgery with Dr Black in August. He was able to give me a clear diagnosis and advise me on the best treatment options answering my questions with clear answer so the decision to have surgery was ultimately a very straightforward one. The surgery was very successfully and i felt secure during the procedure and reassured by his bedside manner. The follow up care was exemplary including a personal follow up call the next day. I have had a text book and full recovery.
in Westfield |
I had been gone to Dr. Black because of a recurring elbow issue last year. Eventually a surgical procedure was needed to correct my condition. As result of Dr. Black's skill and expertise in addressing my exact problem, I no longer have the pain I once had and I'm even returning to recreational activities that were once impossible to enjoy. Throughout this process Dr. Black was always attentive and empathetic to my concerns both before and after surgery and during my recovery and rehab.
in Parsippany, NJ |
I had a traumatic injury that resulted in a torn rotator cuff and bicep tendon . Dr. Black is patient, responsive and very caring. The surgery was painful the first week and Dr. Black warned me. Then things started to ease up and get better. I 'm 7 weeks out and between PT and Dr. Black , I feel great. Making great progress slowly and have no pain . This is definitely the Doc if you need shoulder surgery . I met with others and glad I made the right decision.
in Blairstown NJ |
I'm 5 months out of rotator cuff surgery and could not be happier with the results. Dr. Black was dead on with his schedule of how I would feel and when. I would highly recommend Dr. Black
in Plainfield, NJ |
Dr. Black has a wonderful way of explaining exactly what he sees in what your problem is, his treatment plan and prognosis. he has a way of making you feel as if everything will be fine. I was taken by the combination of enthusiasm, knowledge and kindness that he displays.
in Morristown, NJ |
Second Orthopedic I went to. He didn't brush me off. I had real pain that was impacting my life - he stopped to listen and prescribed better diagnosis
in South Plainfield, NJ |
The five star rating is not enough to emphasize how amazing Dr. Black is. After a truly traumatic fall resulting in the shattering of bones in my wrist and hand, my outlook was bleak. It wasn't until I met Dr. Black in the Overlook Medical Center ER that I felt an immediate sense of calm and confidence in his abilities. His bed side manner was a relief and my entire family was impressed with his knowledge, diligence and positive outlook. I fully trust him with my surgical and recovery needs.
in Madison, NJ |
Dr. Black repaired my ruptured distal biceps tendon on 5 May 2016. I'm a 49 year male and this is my 2nd distal biceps repair. Other arm was 7 years ago with different surgeon. Being in a position to compare, my experience with Dr. Black was superior. Recovered faster (though 7 years older) and regained full ROM quicker. 12 weeks out and I'm unrestricted and back to living my life normally. He has excellent bedside manner and takes time to explain. Highly recommended.
in Annandale, NJ |
Dr Black just did my tendon surgery to reattach...thought I was Hercules...he quickly (within a week) had me set up and done..I work in the city and he was super accommodating....staff was super helpful...Doc Black himself was very quick to answer my emails, called me personally the night before and the days after (when I came out of the fog) from my surgery and was extremely patient with my questions and difficult scheudle...not to mention my arm 6 weeks later is back in business with no pain
in Chatham, NJ |
Dr. Black is very smart, thorough, personable, and overall, an excellent clinician. Additionally, he is honest, realistic, and does not promise the impossible, while doing all that he can to accomplish excellent outcomes for his patients. I am a health care provider myself, and as a patient, I never felt that Dr. Black dismissed / ignored my concerns and questions, he never rushed during a visit, and always returned my calls/emails. He is genuine and caring - a rarity in today's healthcare.
in Bedminster, NJ |
Upon reviewing my shoulder,,Dr. Black immediately recognized the source of pain and in detail explained what had to be done. The discomfort after the surgery was minor and within a week I was moving my arm.I couldnot have asked for a better outcome. One yr later I have complete mobility in my arm and my son just had surgery with Dr. Black last week,
in Parlin,Nj |
I'm 75 and have seen many doctors. Dr Black is one of the most personable, professional and knowledgable doctors I've ever encounted. I had my right shoulder replaced and he explained the entire procedure in a way that was easy to understand. It has been 6 weeks since the operation and I couldn't be more satisfied. If I have a need for any more orthopedic procedures I would choose Dr Black, and if it is not his speciality, I would ask him to recommend a Doctor
in Parsippany, NJ |
Dr. Black is extremely knowledgeable. He immediately puts you at ease. He is attentive and informative.
in Parsippany, NJ |
My mother fell and had a serious shoulder break. We went to 3 different ortho doctors who would only schedule her for weeks out. She was in so much pain, when we finally met with Dr. Black he immediately operated on her and we just had our 2 weeks follow up appt. She went from a pain level of 10 to absolutely no pain at all within a week of her surgery. She received a reverse shoulder replacement at the age of 78, and is healing perfectly. He is an unbelievable doctor, HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!
in Flanders |
He helped my husband and I with our son. My son needed surgery on his right shoulder and Dr. Black was very thorough of what to expect before and after surgery. He even called on his own personal time to check in with us before and after the surgery. It was nice to have direct contact with the Dr. Black for questions.
Have you seen Dr. Eric Black, MD?
Are you Dr. Black?