Dr. Emeka J. Acholonu, MD

Dr. Emeka J. Acholonu, MD

Bariatric Surgery | Male

Virtua Surgical Group, Voorhees, NJ 200 Bowman Dr Ste 355, Voorhees, NJ 08043 Get Directions

Learn about this Doctor

Dr. Acholonu specializes in Bariatric Surgery and practices in Voorhees, NJ. He practices at 3 locations.

Are you Dr. Acholonu? Add your own statement here.

Dr. Acholonu's Experience

See how Dr. Acholonu's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Acholonu

Dr. Acholonu accepts 22 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 5 hospitals where Dr. Acholonu has admitting privileges.

Hospital Quality Awards

Dr. Acholonu's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Acholonu to family and friends
Experience with Dr. Acholonu
Dr. Acholonu's Office & Staff
    10 – 15 minutes (34)
in Voorhees, NJ |
Dr. Acholonu is great, he's caring and very honest! If you want excellent care and true results he' s the right doctor for you. His staff is also friendly and welcoming.
in Marlton, NJ |
At first I thought I was having a heart attack, turns out to be my gall bladder which needed to be removed. Dr Acholonu was the surgeon assigned to this task. I have no idea how he did it but I have not had one moments pain after surgery. His bedside manner, always smiling face and I'm told by my family his easy manner with them made them feel at ease when they were updated on my post-surgery condition. Yes I would highly recommend him to all of my family and friends without hesitation..
in Berlin,NJ |
Dr. Acholonu did a Bariatric sleeve operation on my husband. My husband had a lot of anxiety about the procedure because he has so many illnesses related to his obesity and the fact that he is 69. The Doctor has such a calm and friendly demeanor that he calmed us right down. He answered all of our questions and gave us plenty of attention which helped calm us. My husband came through the operation with no problems and he ready for a whole new life. We have great faith in the Dr. Acholonu.
in West berlin, nj |
Great guy! Very caring and understanding. He's great at his job and knows how to talk to his patients. Honestly cares about your health I would recommend him to to anyone.
in Erial, NJ |
Great surgeon! Excellent care and bedside mannor. He makes you feel very comfortable through your whole experience!
in Erial, NJ |
Wish I could give more than 5 stars!! Dr. Acholonu is the best!! He makes you feel very comfortable and is very thorough and patient with answering questions!! So glad he was my surgeon!!
in Delran, Nj |
Very caring surgeon who wants what is best for you. Takes time to ensure you understand and are comfortable with what is going on. Upfront and honest. Does not make promises of miraculous weight loss with no effort on your part.
in Marlton, NJ |
Dr. Acholonu is GREAT!!! Highly recommended. Already referred a few to him.
in Pennsauken, NJ |
Dr. Acholonu was wonderful throughout my entire surgical procedure. I have absolutely no complaints on him. He was caring and took his time explaining and listening to any concerns or questions I had. I would definitely recommend Dr. Acholonu to any of my family and friends. Yvette Rivera
in Marlton, Nj |
5 stars!!! He is the best Doctor and Surgeon!
in Marlton, NJ |
Dr. Acholonu was AWESOME! He is very knowledgeable. He takes his time w/his patients and has an excellent bedside manner. I would recommend him 100%!!
in Atco NJ |
Dr Achilonu did my weight loss surgery recently and I found out he is not just a good surgeon he is also a very nice surgeon. He listens when I talk. I'm glad I found him and had him do my surgery.
in Trenton, N. J |
Wonderful doctor, he makes u feel welcome and he straight to the point about ur health n what u need to do n ur concerns. I would n have recommended him to family n friends.
in West Berlin nj |
I am still under Dr Acholonu's care. I couldn't ask for a better Dr. He is very careing. Never condescending about your situation. He truly cares.
in Mt Laurel, NJ |
My journey began with an appointment to "consider" VSG, I have a multitude of issues including the need to replace both knees, multiple herniated disc, arthritis from neck to ankles, Fibromyalgia... you get it, I'm a mess! Dr Acholonu was nothing but encouraging from the start! When I walked out I knew if I moved forward, this would be my choice of surgeon, he took time when I needed explanations, he gave them in detail, always with a smile & told me to call if I needed more answers. Awesome Dr!
in Cherry Hill, NJ |
Two surgeries to deal with Diverticulitis and its aftermath.
in Mantua NJ |
Dr Acholonu listened to and answered every question I had about my surgery. I never felt rushed.
in Westampton, NJ |
I am a patient of Dr. Acholonu and give him 10 stars! He is a genuine, caring, and compassionate Surgeon. He has an aweome bedside manner and is very encouraging to his patients. As a bariatric patient, he is on the journey with you. You're never alone. He makes the journey that much easier. He is always smiling and is just a wonderful Surgeon, friend, mentor, and professional. He genuinely cares about his patients.
in Marlton, NJ |
I cannot say enough as to how happy I am that I chose Dr A for my gastric sleeve performed January 18, 2016. I knew he was the right dr from the minute I met him. I had previously seen another doctor about the surgery but did not feel the connection. Dr. A gives you everything you need. His undivided attention, all the time you need & explains everything. Along with my sleeve he removed my gallbladder and repaired my hiatal hernia. He is an EXCELLENT surgeon. To me the best choice.
in Pennsauken |
Dr. Acholonu performed my gastric sleeve and hiatal hernia surgery. Dr. A always has a smile. It is the first thing you notice about him. He is a doctor who is encouraging and informative. I never felt that any question I asked was a dumb question. Dr. A is an excellent doctor and a very kind man. I highly recommend him.
in Browns Mills, NJ |
Excellent experience, I felt safe and totally relaxed being this was my first ever surgery. Dr. Emeka Acholonu had me laughing throughout pre and post surgery, very caring and supreme proffessional in his field. I can not thank Dr.Emeka Acholonu and his staff enough.
Voorhees, NJ |
He is a kind and intelligent gentleman! He explained my condition and the process of the surgery very well. And after all the important things were taken care of, he isn't afraid to make a joke or two. I highly recommend Dr. Acholonu!
in Delran,NJ 08075 |
DR Emeka Acholonu is an outstanding surgeon with a great personality and has the time to answer any questions you have..He is a Doctor I would ask for if I needed surgery .
in Lindenwold, NJ |
My experience with Dr. Acholonu was a excellent. I found him to be very caring and most of all he listened to my concerns. Dr. Acholonu never made me feel embarrassed about my body weight, instead he encouraged me to take the steps to inprove my health. He made me feel comfortable with my decision to work on getting my health better by changing my eating habits,exercise, and feel confident that I can do it. I have told my family and friends about his patient to doctor relationship. GREAT!
Have you seen Dr. Emeka J. Acholonu, MD?
Are you Dr. Acholonu?

Compare Dr. Acholonu

Bariatric Surgery
Voorhees, NJ 08043

Narrow your results

You've got options

We're finding other great Providers for you to consider.

• Bariatric Surgery

• Adrenalectomy
  • Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery
  • Antibiotic Infusion
  • Axillary Lymph Node Dissection
  • Bariatric Surgery (Weight Loss Surgery)
  • Biopsy
  • Bowel Obstruction Repair
  • Bowel Resection
  • Bowel Surgery
  • Central Line Insertion
  • Chest Tube Insertion
  • Colon Surgery
  • Diagnostic Endoscopy
  • Endoscopy (Esophagus, Stomach, Small Intestine)
  • Esophageal Surgery
  • Laparotomy
  • Muscle Biopsy
  • Palliative Care for Esophageal Cancer
  • Palliative Care of Gastric Cancer
  • Percutaneous Edoscopic Gastrostomy (PEG)
  • Revision of Gastric Anastomosis or Restrictive Procedure
  • Right Heart Catheterization (Swan-Ganz)
  • Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery
  • Sleeve Gastrectomy
  • Small Bowel Resection
  • Small Bowel Surgery
  • Splenectomy
  • Stitches
  • Stomach Surgery
  • Wound Care and Management

No malpractice history found for New Jersey.

University of Nigeria / College of Medicine
    howard university hospital

Completed in 2004

howard university hospital

Completed in 2008

Cleveland Clinic Florida

Completed in 2009

• Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, 10/23/2011
    • Reasons and outcomes of laparoscopy as a diagnostic and treatment modality in patients with chronic abdominal pain after gastric bypass for morbid obesity
    • Chyloperitoneum After Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass (LRYGB)
    • Smoking! A major preventable cause of gastro-gastric fistula after divided Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery for morbid obesity
    • Safety and early outcomes of laparoscopic bariatric surgery in morbidly obese adolescents
    • Prevalence of nutritional deficiencies after laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy as a final step in morbidly obese patients
    • Splenic rupture after screening colonoscopy: case report and literature review.
    • and outcomes of laparoscopic revisional surgery after laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding for morbid obesity
    • Safety and Short-Term Outcomes of Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy as a Revisional Approach for Failed Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding in the Treatment of Morbid Obesity
    • Weight loss in morbidly obese patients after endoscopic dilatation of a gastro-jejunal anastomotic stricture after gastric bypass for morbid obesity
    • Linear Latero-Lateral esophagojejunostomy after total gastrectomy for hereditary diffuse cancer syndrome-
    • Outcomes of bariatric surgery in patients over 70 years of age
    • Sunshine Award by WEAU 13 Eau Claire, WI (on 07/06/2010)

Dr. Acholonu does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Acholonu and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

Dr. Acholonu's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

• Specializes in Bariatric Surgery
  • Board certified in General Surgery

Why Does Experience Matter?

Patient Satisfaction Results for Dr. Acholonu

Overall Patient Satisfaction Score

Dr. Acholonu's Office & Staff

Ease of scheduling urgent appointments
Office environment, cleanliness, comfort, etc.
Staff friendliness and courteousness
Total wait time (waiting & exam rooms)
10 – 15 minutes

Experience with Dr. Acholonu

Level of trust in provider's decisions
How well provider explains medical condition(s)
How well provider listens and answers questions
Spends appropriate amount of time with patients