Dr. Ely Tamano, MD

PsychiatryMaleAge 48

Telehealth services available

Psychiatry Associates of Kansas City

8900 State Line Rd Ste 380 Leawood, KS 66206

Dr. Ely Tamano, MD is a Psychiatry Specialist in Leawood, KS. Dr. Tamano has more experience with Psychotic Disorders and General Mental Health than other specialists in his area. He is affiliated with AdventHealth Shawnee Mission. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Tamano to book an appointment.

Compare Providers

Quickly compare more Psychiatry Specialists in your area

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Offers Telehealth
  • Practices at Top Hospital
    Outstanding Patient Experience Award™ See hospitals

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for Kansas

Frequently Treated by Dr. Tamano

Based on treatment records, we have identified the following as areas of care that Dr. Tamano treats more often than their peers. If you are unsure whether Dr. Tamano treats other conditions, please contact the office at (913) 385-7252.

Psychotic Disorders

Psychotic disorders specialists diagnose and treat conditions that cause severe mental symptoms and disconnection from reality, such as schizophrenia, delusional disorder, and substance-induced psychosis.Compare with other Psychotic Disorders specialists.

Dr. Tamano typically treats 62% more often than similar doctors

High Frequency
Very High Frequency
Similar Providers

General Mental Health

General mental health includes management, treatment and prevention of mental illness through risk factor screenings, counseling, group therapy, and wellness support.Compare with other General Mental Health specialists.

Dr. Tamano typically treats 62% more often than similar doctors

Based on claims data for 9 conditions and procedures

Treatments
Adjustment Disorder
ADHD and-or ADD
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
Anxiety

Dr. Tamano's conditions and procedures:

• ADHD and-or ADD
  • Adjustment Disorder
  • Alcohol-Induced Mental Disorders
  • Alcoholism (Alcohol Dependence)
  • Amphetamine and Other Psychostimulant Dependence
  • Dissociative Disorder
  • Dissociative, Conversion, and Factitious Disorders
  • Drug and Alcohol Dependence
  • Drug-Induced Mental Disorders
  • Dysthymia (Chronic Depression)
  • Dysthymia and Cyclothymia (Mood Disorders)
  • Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT)
  • Homicidal Ideation
  • Nondependent Hallucinogen Abuse
  • Nondependent Marijuana Abuse
  • Nondependent Opioid Abuse
  • Nondependent Sedative, Hypnotic, or Anxiolytic Abuse
  • Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
  • Opioid Dependence
  • Phobia
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
  • Postpartum Depression
  • Psychiatric Diseases
  • Psychiatric Evaluation
  • Psychiatric Medication Therapy
  • Psychogenic Disorders (incl. Psychogenic Pain)
  • Psychosis
  • Sedative, Hypnotic, or Anxiolytic Dependence
  • Somatoform Disorders
  • Suicidal Ideation
  • Tobacco Use Disorder
  • Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS)

Dr. Tamano accepts

Dr. Tamano accepts the following insurance:

Amerigroup (Wellpoint)

Dr. Tamano's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Tamano

4.0

Dr. Tamano?
  • Explained conditions well (41)
  • Listened & answered questions (39)
  • Staff friendliness (39)
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions (11)
  • Didn't listen or answer questions (10)
  • Staff wasn't friendly (10)
Great! He always listens, takes his time and his staff always responds in a timely manner. I like him a lot. I won’t go to anyone else. Finding the right therapy and medicine is an art and a science. It is a process You go through different options until you find the best medication that works for you and only you. There is no one size fits all. Dr. Tamano is not A magician. I think Dr. Tamano is great. He has gone out of his way to help me. Getting better is up to the individual. Dr. Tamaño can only guide you along the way.
MY – Jul 18, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ely Tamano, MD?
I've suffered minor depression all my life until events caused by a move to a new location resulted in the worst bout of depression I've ever experienced. Dr. Tamano helped me discover that I had been on the wrong type of anti-depressant for over three years, suggested testing which resulted in finding a medication that has finally helped me. I feel so much better and I have him to thank for that. He's always been kind, interested in what you have to say and explains medications and other issues thoroughly. I'm surprised that he has any negative ratings.
Carole Lindsey – Jun 27, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ely Tamano, MD?
I've been seeing Dr Tamano for several years and I'd give him 20 stars if I could. He is hands down the best psychiatrist I have ever seen. And as a 50 yr old who has seen countless doctors over the years desperately trying to find relief from the severe depression and crippling anxiety I have struggled with my entire adult life, thats saying something!!! Rather than put me through another endless cycle of trial and error (that always resulted in 100% error), he had my genetics tested to learn which medications I will respond to and which wont help me at all (or even worse, hurt me). The life changing moment was when the results came back and showed that I have the MTHFR mutation that prevents me from breaking down folic acid effectively making any antidepressants I took an act of futility. That day he altered my medications and added Deplin and by the end of the day, I could already tell that my life was going to vastly improve. And its all thanks to Dr. Tamano.
Shannon – Jun 03, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ely Tamano, MD?
He's fine when things go well but if your situation turns to the negative and it doesn't get "fixed" with what he chooses, well, then you are SOL. I gave him a good review 3 years ago and now, I can say he helped ruin my life, at least for a while. He negligently prescribed benzodiazepines at various doses for months, told me I was psychosomatic, and then when he finally realized I was in tolerance withdrawal and in a bad way, turned the tables on me - told me that "well, you know these are only supposed to be taken for 2-4 weeks." Oh really, who is the doctor here? I was not given informed consent on what these meds could do. Look elsewhere!!!
Apr 25, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ely Tamano, MD?
He staff takes days to respond to voicemail and his appointments have ran late multiple times when I was trying to fit my appointments into my work day. I gave them grace in these instances, but I missed 3 appointments over as many years and he cut me loose with no email or phone call. I realize my missing scheduled appointments got me in this situation, but a doctor should show more compassion. I'm on meds that have extreme discontinuation effects. A call, email, or letter should be required in this situation. Very disappointed. I think he's good at his job but his cutting ties in this fashion sends a message of money is more important then my hippocratic oath.
Mar 17, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ely Tamano, MD?
Doctor Tamano has changed my life. I struggled with symptoms and he actually listened instead of just trying to send me away with prescription. My medication was tuned just correctly where I now feel like a normal person. Life changing!!! He remembers minor details and documents it well. Years back I went to see a specialist and was sent home with a script that didnt help me at all.
Nov 30, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ely Tamano, MD?
Excellent communication with him, practice is super busy
Oct 16, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ely Tamano, MD?
His practice is the largest Psych Dr. practice in KC.Their policies say if you miss one visit, you can never return.P.Docs know they are hard to get, so they are able to get away w/treating patients in ways that would drive most G.P.s out of business. Psych is a very different field.Patients are often quite ill. I had been put on the blacklist 12 years ago, when I had just discovered I had b.p. My entire life was in shambles and I was desperate. F.forward 10 years; after years of ups and downs I
Apr 19, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ely Tamano, MD?
Dr. Tomano really listens to you! He wants to make sure your mental health plan is working for you and he will adjust medications until it does.. I highly recommend Dr. Tomano!
Apr 03, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ely Tamano, MD?
I have been seeing Dr. Tamano for about 9 years. When I first met with him, he was so compassionate with what was going on. If felt he was really listening to me (while taking a lot of notes - very impressive!). I feel like I have been able to share just about anything with him regarding what is going on with me. And I think he genuinely wants to figure on what is going on with you and make it better if he can.
Olathe, KS – Feb 01, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ely Tamano, MD?
As the parent of a teenager, I've found Dr. Tamano to be a great fit for my son. My son is comfortable talking with him, which makes it so much easier for Dr. Tamano to get the right meds and dosage. We never feel rushed, and we always feel comfortable with him. When we've been concerned with meds or changes, Dr. Tamano and staff have responded in an appropriate amount of time to provide answers to our questions or even changes to the treatment plan. I am very thankful for Dr. Tamano.
Overland Park, KS – Jan 15, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ely Tamano, MD?
I've been to JOCO Mental health for over 10 years kept telling them the SSIR's did not work suffered for 10 years with them, DR.Tamano is the frist and only Dr. to run a GenoMind swab to tell him what med's work best with my Brain chymestory. I thank the Lord for Dr. Tamano and his knowlage and the relefe he has helped me get!
James T. Basey in Shawnee – Sep 15, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ely Tamano, MD?
Dr. Tamano came very highly recommended by personnel I knew working at 2 area hospitals. When I needed medical help for myself, it seemed that psychiatrist schedules were quite full. I feel very fortunate I waited to see Dr. Tamano. He's a very intelligent man and a non-judgmental listener. He's extremely down-to-earth, caring and invested in his patients' improvement. I have known and worked with psychiatrists formerly. He is one of the very best. He helped me tremendously.
Steve W. in LEAWOOD, KS – Jul 26, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ely Tamano, MD?
I have been to see Dr. Tamano a couple of times. However, he has been great to work with in regards to my mental health. When I called to make the appointment, I was reassured by the staff that Dr. Tamano was a great Doctor. He asks plenty of questions and listen to what you have to say. On my first visit he identified a prescription I had been taking that could cause my brain problems in the future. I feel blessed to be a patient of Dr Tamano. I highly recommend Dr. Tamano to anyone.
Michael in KS – Jul 23, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ely Tamano, MD?
My first appointment went very well. This is a wonderful doctor. I highly recommend him.
Ronni Jones in Shawnee, KS – Jun 13, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ely Tamano, MD?
Dr Tamano has been a huge help for me. He is personable, listens thoroughly, asks the right questions, provides analysis, and helps work through the right medication options. He is quick to suggest different meds if negative side effects appear. He answers my questions and explains things I don't understand. I finally feel stable after years, and I readily recommend him to friends who are struggling with mental health issues.
Nikki in Kansas City – Jun 13, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ely Tamano, MD?
Dr. Tamano truly listens and cares for his patients. He is kind and understanding.He makes yo feel like you are a part of your own care.iI am so blessed to have found such a wonderful Dr.
jJerri Esteban – Jun 05, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ely Tamano, MD?
Dr. Tamano is a very caring professional physician. Very easy to talk to.
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
Wife of an Alz/dementia pt. in distress in South of KC, MO – May 24, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ely Tamano, MD?
He is an excellent Psychiatrist. Very patience and professional.
MCY in Kansas – May 24, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ely Tamano, MD?
My first time seeing Dr Tamano he seemed irritated with me. He said my diagnosis didn't make sense I reminded him I am not a Dr and didn't give myself the diagnosis it was my previous Dr. He only asked me pointed questions no detail. I guess I misunderstood the job of a physiatrist, I thought we would discuss my life and he would listen to my issues and how to get better or how to deal with them. All he did was adjust my meds and say come back in a month. I left confused and irritated.
Mar 02, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ely Tamano, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Tamano?

• Psychiatry