Ophthalmology  |
Dr. Ellen Schneider, MD
Ellen Schneider, MD is a board certified Ophthalmologist and native New Orleanian who has over 25 years of experience in medical and surgical eye care. She graduated magna cum laude from Vanderbilt University and earned her medical degree from Louisiana State University Medical Center in New Orleans. After a year of Internal Medicine at Baylor University in Dallas, Texas she returned home to New Orleans for her Ophthalmology residency at The LSU Eye Center. From her undergraduate years to medical school, residency and into private practice many prestigious honors and awards have been bestowed upon her. Dr. Schneider was involved in the original BOTOX FDA clinical trials in 1987 and is one of the first doctors in the Greater New Orleans area to use BOTOX for cosmetic uses and for blepharospasm. Her surgical expertise is in refractive cataract surgery. Thousands of her patients not only see clearly after cataract surgery; they do so without glasses. Dr. Schneider was the first eye surgeon in St. Tammany Parish and one of the first in Jefferson Parish to perform laser cataract surgery. She is a member of many professional medical societies, has served as Chairperson of the Ophthalmology Department at East Jefferson Hospital, Chairperson of charitable fundraisers, has co-authored publications of clinical research, and is involved in clinical research. Dr. Schneider enjoys traveling and spending time with her husband and three children.

985 Robert Blvd Ste 105

Slidell, LA 70458

• Amerigroup (Wellpoint)
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Louisiana
  • CHAMPVA
  • Community Health Choice
  • Coventry Health Care of Louisiana
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
  • Molina Healthcare

Learn about Dr. Schneider

See how frequently Dr. Schneider performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Stye
Eyelid Disorders
high
Pinkeye (Conjunctivitis)

Dr. Schneider's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

• Ophthalmology

• Cataract
  • Cataract Surgery Complications
  • Chalazion
  • Chorioretinal Scars
  • Choroidal Neovascular Membranes (CNVM)
  • Conjunctival Hemorrhage
  • Corneal Abrasion or Laceration
  • Corneal Diseases
  • Degenerative Disorders of Globe
  • Diabetic Eye Disease
  • Diabetic Retinopathy
  • Diplopia
  • Drooping Eyelids (Ptosis)
  • Dry Age-Related Macular Degeneration

• Pterygium Surgery
  • Refractive Surgery
  • Removal of Foreign Body from External Eye
  • YAG Laser Capsulotomy

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Louisiana.

• Vanderbilt University
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1982
  • Louisiana State University / School Of Medicine In New Orleans
    Medical School | Graduated 1986
  • Baylor University
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1987
  • Louisiana State University / School Of Medicine In New Orleans
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1991

Dr. Schneider has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Schneider does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Schneider and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Schneider's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Schneider to family and friends
Dr. Schneider's Performance
in Pearl River, LA |
Dr. E, thank you for my easy visit yesterday. Your staff as always, treated me with great respect, and true kindness. I wasn't feeling very well, but the staff made it more thanbearable. Thank you as always, Bruce Hall.
in New Orleans, LA |
I would highly recommend Dr. Schneider to family and friends. I trust her with my children and myself, and I think that statement in and of itself speaks volumes. I had cataract surgery and had the Symfony lens used--it's a game changer! Love my new eyes! and my new sight! Dr. Schneider recommended these, and I couldn't be happier with the results! Thank you Dr. Schneider for improvement in my vision beyond any expectations!
Slidell, LA |
I had been searching for an eye doctor for over a year, one who could cure my runny eye. After visiting several doctors, I found Dr. Schneider who knew exactly what to do to stop the running. Dr. Schneider is a rare breed. She takes time with her patients, answers questions so that the patient can understand the answer and really listens to the concerns the patient may have.
in New Orleans, LA |
Outstanding surgeon, who is precise, who listens, and who does not make the patient feel rushed. I had been nervous in advance, and she dispelled my nervousness with her calmness and competence. The outcome was amazing, and exactly as she had stated. Even though she had explained to me what and how I would be able to see after each of two procedures, I was still surprised and very happy. I now see better than I can ever remember.Her staff was also great, and made scheduling/follow up very easy
in Pearl River, La. |
Would recommend Dr. Schneider to friends. Experience was very good. Appointment was very much on time. Brought me in right on time if not a little before time.
Slidell, LA |
Very cheerful and helpful staff, and Dr. Schneider so knowledgeable and sweet... Great doctor and staff is always nice and positive. One of the best run practice I've experienced.
in Metairie, LA |
I have been knowing Dr. Schneider for many years and she is always very upbeat and caring. She is also very knowledgeable. When she recommended cataract surgery I was hesitant, as I always am with surgeries. I have been wearing glasses since first grade and my distance sight was almost non-existent. While I am having to wear reading glasses, my distance sight is almost perfect. I am very pleased with the whole experience.
The gift of sight is a precious one which is most noticeable when one's glasses change dramatically such as the need for thick glasses all your life to not needing glasses at all to see 20/20 at a distance. I am equally thrilled for you. Thank you for the review.
Metairie, LA |
I felt like Dr. Schneider rushed my examination. She also didn't explain the outcome well. When I questioned her about it....she seemed aggravated. I tried to access the portal so that I could message her and get further details, but it won't let me in.
I am sorry your experience in our office was not up to par. I would love the opportunity to answer any unanswered questions. Please call the office to allow us the opportunity to do so... Dr. Ellen Schneider
in Metairie, LA |
I love coming to this office, the staff is great. The professionalism is above standard. I appreciate that the wait is not very long. The explanations from Dr Schneider are excellent. I feel I am in very competent hands.
Everyone in our office looks forward to your visits-you are a pleasure to work with!
Bridgeport, TX |
Dr Schneider did cataract surgery in both of my eyes and it's unbelievable how vivid my vision is now. It's like my eyes are in Hi-Def. Dr Schneider and her staff went over and beyond before during and after my surgery. I highly recommend her as she is an excellent eye surgeon.
Thrilled to hear how pleased you are after cataract surgery!
Have you seen Dr. Ellen Schneider, MD?

Visit Dr. Schneider

• CHAMPVA
  • Community Health Choice
  • Coventry Health Care of Louisiana
    Coventry Health Care of Louisiana HMO
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
  • Molina Healthcare