Dr. Ellen Scherl, MD

Dr. Ellen Scherl, MD

Gastroenterology  |

Ellen J. Scherl, M.D. is the Director of The Roberts Center for Inflammatory Bowel Disease, The Jill Roberts Professor of Clinical Medicine, Sanford I. Weill College of Cornell University - New York Presbyterian Hospital. She is currently an Attending Physician at the New York Presbyterian Hospital-Weill Medical College of Cornell University. Dr. Scherl is a world-renowned expert in Inflammatory Bowel Disease specializing in Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis. Dr. Scherl has an active practice and serves as a principal investigator on many clinical trials on Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis. As part of Dr. Scherl's comprehensive approach to patient care, she closely collaborates with world renowned IBD surgical team leadby experts Dr. Fabrizio Michelassi and Dr. Jeffrey Milsom, complimented by Dr. Toyoki Sonoda. The team is known for innovative surgical approaches including laproscopic and endoscopic techniques as well as bowelsparing surgeries. Dr. Oscar Lebwohl of The New York-Presbyterian Hospital - Columbia Campus also works closely with Dr. Scherl in her efforts. The Roberts Center for Inflammatory Bowel Disease is exploring ways of intergrating healthcare and IBD research looking forward to achievingpreventive and personalized medicine. The IBD Center is committed to the interdisciplinary approach to Inflammatory Bowel Disease focusing on nutrition, osteoporosis, nephrology, dysplasia, and colon cancer screening using novel techniquessuch as narrow band imaging. Dr. Scherl frequently lectures on Inflammatory Bowel Disease at local, regional and nationalmeetings, conferences and seminars.

Jill Roberts Center for InflammatoryBowel Disease

• EmblemHealth
  • Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield
  • Fidelis Care
  • Golden Rule
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
  • Guardian
  • Health Net

Learn about Dr. Scherl

We are committed to delivering the best care and an exceptional patient experience. We are devoted to providing services that are patient-centered and compassionate, and care for you as a person.

Dr. Scherl's Experience

Dr. Scherl's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Gastroenterology

• Gallstones
  • Gas-Bloat Syndrome
  • Gastric Ulcer
  • Gastritis
  • Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
  • Gastrointestinal Bleeding
  • Vascular Insufficiency of Intestines
  • Viral Hepatitis
  • Vomiting Disorders

• Colonoscopy, Proctosigmoidoscopy, and Sigmoidoscopy
  • Endoscopy (Esophagus, Stomach, Small Intestine)
  • Gastroenterology Procedures

No malpractice history found for New York.

• New York Medical College
    Medical School | Graduated 1977
  • Beth Israel Medical Center
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1978
  • Beth Israel Medical Center
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1989
  • Mount Sinai Medical Center
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1989

Dr. Scherl has no media or publications listed.

• French

Dr. Scherl does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Scherl and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center

is a Recipient of a Healthgrades Excellence Award
America's 50 Best Hospitals Award

Hospital Quality Award

Dr. Scherl is on the medical staff at our top-rated hospital.

View Awards

Dr. Scherl's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Scherl to family and friends
3.3
Dr. Scherl's Performance
New York, NY |
Literally a life saver. I had some bad GI issues and Dr. Scherl was able to get me back to normalcy through her innovative care and knowledge of what's new and possible in GI. I had suffered from Crohn's for many years and was able to finally get into remission.
in New York, NY |
Dr. Scherl had been my Gastro dr for the past decade plus. I changed to her after other high regarded gastro drs were going to put me on steroids which I didn't want. She quickly got me healthy again with less invasive ways and I couldn't be happier. Truly the best gastro dr.
in New York, NY |
The USA urgently needs more caring, dedicated, and intellectually keen doctors like Dr. Scherl in every field of clinical practice! She has not only committed her career to effective treatment of IBD patients, but she also accepts many types of medical insurance, not true of most high-ranking physicians these days. She uses her excellent clinical skills to achieve the best possible outcomes for patients and strives to keep us comfortable and feeling positive even during our worst flares. A+ MD!
in Beekman, NY |
Dr. Scherl shows a level of understanding in her field that puts most other specialists to shame. She is both informative and caring, her medical staff are extremely kind and effective and their successful treatment to remission of my wife's Ulcerative Colitis was life changing for us.
in New York, NY |
Highly recommend! I was referred and to Dr. Scherl by my general practitioner after my symptoms were not getting better by previous treatments. Dr. Scherl's diagnosis was accurate and the treatment was very effective. It is always easy to reach her for additional advice and questions and I completely trust her judgment. The nurses and staff at the office are friendly, efficient and professional.
Woodmere, NY |
I have been a patient of Dr. Scherl for several years and am so glad I found her! She is the rare combination of deep clinical expertise, commitment to her patients and empathy. Having a "complicated" case, I have always felt that I was in the best hands and that she truly cared about finding the right solution for me. She takes a holistic approach to wellness - combining the best of medical interventions, diet, lifestyle, etc. I could not recommend her more highly.
in New Jersey |
I have been seeing Dr. Scherl for about 10 years. When I first saw her for my consultation, she spent several hours with me going over my complicated Crohn's Disease medical history. She really investigated my medical past and developed a plan to help get me healthy again. The staff at the office is professional and always helpful and friendly. Dr. Scherl is a wonderful and caring doctor who will go out of her way to help you and get to know you. I highly recommend seeing her.
in New York, NY |
What an extraordinary and caring physician! And what a difference a skilled doctor can make! Five years ago, another gastroenterologist in the same hospital could not complete a colonoscopy, which led to another preparation and a virtual colonoscopy shortly thereafter. Recently, Dr. Scherl, in the very professional endoscopy unit of New York Hospital, completed the procedure without any issues. A week later, she reviewed all of the photographs and biopsy reports with me. Brilliant!
in New York, NY |
Dr. Scherl is a magnificent gastroenterologist. She has literally saved my life.my Crohn's disease has improved significantly under her care. Her knowledge is extraordinary as is her commitment to her patients. In my judgment, she is at the very top of her field.
in Secaucus, NJ |
My first visit with Dr. Scherl was during a 5 month Crohn's flare & after a 3 hour consult it was immediately apparent that hope was in sight. I am so grateful for her clinical expertise, compassion, ability to truly listen as well as provide a thorough explanation to all questions asked of her. Dr. Scherl exhibited a passion, concern & true interest in my challenging case.
in Huntington NY |
Dr. Scherl spent a long period of time with me on my initial visit and I could not have been more impressed with her thoroughness, her knowledge, and her care and concern for me.
Dr. Scherl is literally the best doctor I have ever seen. She doesn't just proclaim to be cutting edge...she is! Her expertise is evident and her diagnoses are accurate. Her ability to treat is a gift one doesn't get very often. She has been my doctor for 7yrs. She has given me the ability to have a great quality of life while dealing with crohns disease. People may complain about the wait but it's worth it! A true lifesaver!!!!!
in Crompond, NY |
Dr. Scherl seems to be a well intentioned doctor. However, she is so overloaded with patients and has a particularly incompetent and undertrained staff (a PA who needs to be educated on basics of physiology and pharmacology, nursing staff turnover, surley office staff), and inefficient office practices that it has made it nearly impossible to establish a productive doctor patient relationship. As a healthcare provider myself, I consider this to be the epitome of bad healthcare delivery.
in Crompond, NY |
in Stuart, FL |
Dr. Scherl saved my husbands life and gave us back a quality of life we had not known for years due to Crohns disease. She is brilliant and she considers the entire patient and the family in all decisions. We are blessed to have found her. She is incredibly busy as she is one of the best in the world (literally!) and you sometimes wait a bit but it is so worth it.We sincerely recommend her and her entire team.She is caring and definitive about your care and the results are astounding.
in Astoria, NY |
I have and will continue to recommend Dr Scherl to my family and friends. She's is compassionate, spends the time and takes a comprehensive approach to complex problems. She is a leader in the field of CRohns and Colitis
Have you seen Dr. Ellen Scherl, MD?
Are you Dr. Scherl?

Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield HMO
  • Fidelis Care
    Fidelis Care HMO
  • Golden Rule
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
    GEHA
  • PHP-Physicians Health Plan
  • POMCO Group
  • SelectHealth

Hospitals where Dr. Scherl has admitting privileges

More Gastroenterology Specialists like Dr. Scherl at Jill Roberts Center for InflammatoryBowel Disease

Dr. Meira Abramowitz, MD