Dr. Ellen Duncan, MD

Pain MedicineFemaleAge 61

Dr. Duncan

Spine & Pain Center of San Antonio

18707 Hardy Oak Blvd Ste 105 San Antonio, TX 78258

Dr. Ellen Duncan, MD is a Pain Medicine Specialist in San Antonio, TX and has over 30 years of experience in the medical field. She graduated from University of Texas Medical School At San Antonio medical school in 1991. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Duncan to book an appointment.

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Pain Medicine Specialists in your area

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Recent Reviews
    Reviews made in the last 30 days. See reviews

No malpractice claims found for Texas

Check Dr. Duncan's experience treating your condition or procedure

• Spondylosis
  • Trigeminal Neuralgia
  • Upper Back Pain

Dr. Duncan accepts

Dr. Duncan accepts the following insurance:

Ambetter

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Duncan

3.5

1.2048192771084338%

Dr. Duncan
I have had chronic Back and Sciatic pain for many years. After 2 surgeries and no relief. Dr Duncan has helped me manage the pain. In addition to being an excellent doctor, I appreciate that she is an educator, a rule follower and communicates concisely. Her knowledge, compassion, and my reduced pain gives me confidence in my decision to work with Dr Duncan. I would highly recommend her.
Ronald P Kurmis – Aug 27, 2021
Excellent care for my father- and took the time to talk to me on the phone in regards to his care.
Nicole Tomko – Mar 24, 2021
I had extreme low back pain shooting down my leg. I felt severe pain with every movement. She took the time to explain my MRI and my condition and treatment that I would need to help me improve. She was very knowledgeable and used the best analogy to help me understand my condition. She recommended conservative treatment before any type of surgery which I preferred by far. Dr. Duncan accommodated me promptly with an appointment for my first injection within a couple of days. After 2 injections I was at least 80% improved and continue to stay improved. The front office staff is very friendly as well as her back office team. I would highly recommend Dr Duncan and am grateful to have her as my pain management doctor.
Socorro – Feb 13, 2021
Worst doctor ever! Run! She didn’t want to treat me, even though I was post surgery and transferred legitimately to her from another doctor due to insurance.
  • Staff wasn't friendly
FedAgent2 – Jun 09, 2020
Dr. Ellen Duncan is amazing! She has been treating my pancreas pain due to a long term chronic condition and pain in my lower back, neck and shoulder due to injuries suffered in my youth that have now come to haunt me. She takes her time in explaining and educating me on the triggers to said pain. She never stops researching and tries to help her patients have a happy quality of life by managing the pain. I don’t know what my husband and I will do if she ever retires! She continues to provided exceptional health care to me and my husband and is an advocate for her patients!
Cindy – Aug 27, 2019
Dr Duncan has always been both personable and professional. She understands the pain cycles I go through and has treated me accordingly. I went to another doctor first who was rather dismissive and made me feel like he was doing me a favour to even see me. I would absolutely recommend Dr Duncan.
San Antonio – Jun 21, 2019
I love, love, love Dr. Duncan and her staff!!! I have been treated above and beyond in scheduling, staff, and all the medical professionals. I started seeing Dr. Duncan over 10 years ago for sciatica. It was very severe, but after the 3rd injection in my back, my back pain was relieved until recently when I had to see her for arthritis pain in my knee and back. She injected my knee, and so far no pain in my knee. I just had my 1st injection for lower back arthritis pain. I’ll go back in 2 weeks for the 2nd. I am thoroughly please with everyone from the receptionists, nurses, nurse practitioners, and Dr. Ellen Duncan.
Irene Perez in San Antonio , TX – May 31, 2019
I complained about a staff member and on next visit was treated even worse for voicing an opinion. Verrrrrrrry strange set up in this office and verrrrry strange medical assistants. Rude, unfriendly, couldn't care less attitude. Ellen Duncan needs a definite attitude adjustment. Would NEVER recommend this place to ANYONE, EVER...!! Wish I had read all her reviews FIRST, would have never gone there!! Wild goose chase to IH10 office where she is not located, it's strictly a pill mill.
Apr 10, 2019
Dr Duncan told my husband to leave me in the waiting room because I said something negative about her front desk clerk, gigi who never looked up or acknowledged us after 5 minutes, just personal conversation on the phone. finally gave my husband an appointment for pain block three and a half weeks out. Seriously?? This doc has an ego bigger than the building she is sitting in. Go elsewhere!!
Apr 09, 2019
I have been going to Dr. for almost 10 years and at first her and her staff were great. After the last couple years or so things are the same. Scheduling for the at her Hardy Oak location is the worst. Wait time is unbelievable and usually after normal working hours. Information is not always relayed from office accurately to patients lately. I use to trust Dr Ducan without any doubt, but as of late I dont. I’m currently looking for new pain management doctor.
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't explain conditions well
San Antonio, TX – Mar 04, 2019
I have been going to Dr. Duncan for years and she has always taken the time to discuss what issues I have! Without her I would be sitting on the side line watching life pass me by!!
Audrey Hahn in San Antonio, TX – Nov 20, 2018
I have been seeing Dr. Ellen Duncan for almost 5 years now. She has been a very reliable doctor and has given me great care. I’ve been to a lot of different doctors and have learned a lot about patient doctor interactions. My team of doctors are very valuable to me. Dr. Duncan is down to earth, has a ton of knowledge and expertise, and is honest with you. 5 years of a personal experience with a doctor should speak for itself.
Jeff S. in San Antonio, TX – Aug 02, 2018
My review is not about Dr Duncan she was a very good doctor. My review is about her staff specifically Susan , she lied and stated my insurance would not cover a needed procedure when i conferenced my insurance company and Susan she then lied and stated that she did not say this. She said that the office misplaced my medical records. She then stated she needed another copy i printed my history yet again and took it to the office. She at this time said she needed it in order of procedure a
Khalil in San antonio – Jun 14, 2018
Love Dr. Duncan, I’ve been seeing her over 10 years and I always appreciate her honesty and medical explanations. Yes there is a wait time sometimes but that’s because when you do get seen, she takes the time to listen and answer all of your questions. You get what you wait for! I wish all doctors had her sincere approach.
Marco Arenas in Canyon Lake, TX – May 31, 2018
I've been under the care of good Dr. Duncan for five years. Her staff and associates log a full and constant day. Since day one she has been straight forward, honest and caring. I love that she does not small talk, gets right to my problem/concern and always offers honest evals/options and then it is MY decision on treatment...with her added opinion if I want it. She's a winner in my book.
Sal in San Antonio – Jan 13, 2018
I had an appointment at 2 pm. Was taken back to an office at 2:13 pm. At about 3:10 pm, a nurse came in to write down my information. By 3:30 pm I had still not been seen by Dr. Duncan. I walked out, went to the reception area, was very upset, and Dr. Duncan walked out of her office and told me that she does not tolerate yelling in her hallways. She told the staff to give me a refund. Asked her why I waited so long. She said she had other patients. Then she told me to leave.
  • Staff wasn't friendly
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't explain conditions well
Kathy in Spring Branch, TX – Sep 16, 2017
I have been a patient for 10+ years. Staff is great, nurses are great and Dr Duncan spends as much time as I need to answer all questions and explain diagnosis and treatment plan. I have recommended her to family, friends and co-workers. Excellent feedback from them as well.
Anna prescott in Floresville, TX – Sep 14, 2017
The initial visit with Dr Duncan - she was 2.5 hrs late but I was confident that she could help with my cervical pain. The second visit I received an injection that gave me high blood pressure/rapid heart rate/headaches. I called and asked for consultation 3 times and was told each time I would get a call back. No call came- 6 days later I had to go to the hospital for help. Called her again for office visit and was told there are no openings in the near future. She must be overbooked.
Mary Hutton in Boerne, TX – Jun 29, 2017
Afier going to numerous doctors for nerve pain and even the surgeon that took a floating piece of bone from his spinal cord, Duncan was the only one that informed him he needed a new surgery to fix his problem. He took her advice (used a surgeon she recommended) and has been great since that time!
Nancy Mihalski in Universal city, Texas – Apr 26, 2017
I've been HER patient for many years and I would not change it for any reason. I love the fact she KNOWS & can relate to what you are going through, she herself has back issues. She is funny, has good bedside manners, sympathetic, empathtic & listens. She has ALWAYS told me if I am hurting that bad "come in as soon as you can, I'll see you ". People don't know her STAFF & HER, work through lunch AND LATE INTO THE EVENING, YES, AFTER CLOSING. I don't know what I would do without her! Choose her!
Rosa Alvarado in San Antonio, TX – Mar 02, 2017

How was your experience with Dr. Duncan?

I believe in a personal evaluation and customized care plan for each and every patient in the hopes of improving their quality of life on a daily basis.

• Pain Medicine