Dr. Elizabeth Eyre, MD

Dr. Elizabeth Eyre, MD

Anesthesiology | Female

1830 Edgehill Dr San Antonio, TX 78209 Get Directions

I believe in caring for patients as I'd wanted to be cared for and that little things matter--like warm blankets, minimizing bodily exposure and keeping the OR atmosphere calm and quiet until the patient is asleep.  I take a detailed history and use it to make decisions about what drugs to give and the potential side effects they may have.  I feel strongly about "Pre-emptive Analgesia" or preventing pain BEFORE the patient wakes up by using multiple techniques and medications, while they are still asleep.  Preventing nausea and post operative vomiting is also a personal goal of mine with each patient, since it tends to be the most frequent but miserable complaint after surgery.  I will also speak up if I think that surgery should wait because of a condition that needs treating--safety is imperative and I take it seriously.

I was born in Virginia but grew up in upstate New York, on the Canadian-Vermont border. My dad was a volunteer fireman in our small town and I helped him teach First Aid there, when I was a teenager. It gave me a taste of helping others and I decided to pursue a career in medicine. We moved to Arlington, Texas when I was a senior in high school and I began volunteering as a candy stripper in a local hospital. Dad worked for John Peter Smith Hospital and I eventually began volunteering there, as well. I had some incredible experiences at Peter Smith and it prompted me to apply to medical school. I spent 9 years in Lubbock, Texas for my undergraduate degree in microbiology, medical school and an internship in general surgery. I spent a year in emergency medicine at Arlington Memorial Hospital before beginning my anesthesia residency in New Orleans at Ochsner Foundation Hospital. I began private practice in San Antonio 27 years ago and have been here ever since. My introduction to medicine was through the OR and I still love it! My relationship with patients is brief but I strive to make it as pleasant as possible.

Dr. Eyre's Experience

See how Dr. Eyre's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Eyre

Dr. Eyre accepts 36 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 5 hospitals where Dr. Eyre has admitting privileges.

Dr. Eyre's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Eyre to family and friends
based on 2 total surveys (1 with a review)
Dr. Eyre's Performance
    FAIR
in San Antonio, TX |
Great Doctor very informative prior to Surgery! Just one problem, I am trying to pay a balance owed to her and the office receptionist told me that they don't accept credit cards for payment? Hello it's 2016. I told her that I wanted to use my payflex option card, Receptionist told me to pay out of my own pocket and then get reimbursed later. Really, I am trying to pay a bill and they don't make it easy. ??
I'm sorry that the payment part of things was cumbersome--it should be easier and I'll look into what we can do to streamline the process.
Have you seen Dr. Elizabeth Eyre, MD?

Compare Dr. Eyre

Dr. Eyre says...

I was born in Virginia but grew up in upstate New York, on the Canadian-Vermont border.  My dad was a volunteer fireman in our small town and I helped him teach First Aid there, when I was a teenager.  It gave me a taste of helping others and I decided to pursue a career in medicine.  We moved to Arlington, Texas when I was a senior in high school and I began volunteering as a candy stripper in a local hospital.  Dad worked for John Peter Smith Hospital and I eventually began volunteering there, as well.  I had some incredible experiences at Peter Smith and it prompted me to apply to medical school.  I spent 9 years in Lubbock, Texas for my undergraduate degree in microbiology, medical school and an internship in general surgery.  I spent a year in emergency medicine at Arlington Memorial Hospital before beginning my anesthesia residency in New Orleans at Ochsner Foundation Hospital.  I began private practice in San Antonio 27 years ago and have been here ever since.  My introduction to medicine was through the OR and I still love it!  My relationship with patients is brief but I strive to make it as pleasant as possible.

Dr. Eyre's Care Philosophy

Dr. Eyre says...

I provide anesthesia for various types of surgical procedures--both general anesthesia and sedation.  My goal is to make the experience as pleasant as possible for the patient from the time I see them in Pre-Op Area, until I leave them in the Recovery Room.  I prefer to interview the patient myself to get whatever history I think will impact the procedure and my choice of medications.  Minimizing side effects is important to me--especially the dreaded post operative nausea!

Dr. Eyre says...

My area of expertise is in airway management--I like to recognize a difficult intubation before getting into the operating room and to prepare for alternate means of placing an airway.  Safety is critical!  To avoid a sore throat after surgery and to minimize the number of drugs required, I often use a Laryngeal Mask Airway or LMA, as opposed to intubating most patients.  LMAs are a less invasive airway and decrease the likelihood of throat irritation.  Interestingly, smokers tend to tolerate them better than being intubated and will cough less in the Recovery Room or as they're waking up.

Dr. Eyre's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Anesthesiology
    •  Board certified in Anesthesiology

Dr. Eyre has no media or publications listed.

Why It Matters: Dr. Eyre's Board Certifications

Ochsner Fdn Hospital

Completed in 1990

Texas Tech University

Graduated in 1981

Dr. Eyre does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Eyre and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Anesthesiology

• Moderate Sedation
    • Oximetry
    • Pre-Operative Care
    • Regional Anesthesia
    • Right Heart Catheterization (Swan-Ganz)
    • Spinal Anesthesia