Dr. Edward Westerheide, MD

Dr. Edward Westerheide, MD

Orthopedic Surgery  ·
Dr. Edward Westerheide, MD is an orthopedic surgery specialist in Zanesville, OH and has been practicing for 20 years. He graduated from Oh State Univ Coll Of Med and Pub Hlth in 1993 and specializes in orthopedic surgery, sports physical medicine & rehabilitation, and more.Read his story

3250 Northpointe Dr # 4370

Zanesville, OH 43701

• American Republic
  • CoreSource

Learn about Dr. Westerheide

See how frequently Dr. Westerheide performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Sprains and Strains (incl. Muscle Tear)
Foot and Ankle Fracture Treatment, Closed
Knee Disorders

Dr. Westerheide's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Westerheide's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Westerheide " I was born and raised in Mount Vernon, Ohio. I was the fourth of eight children. My father was a general surgeon. I was always busy as a child participating in 4H, Boy Scouts and Sports. I started working at a young age cutting grass and delivering newspapers and shoveling snow. Eventually I got my first job at Kroger's as a bag boy at age 16 as soon as I could drive back-and-forth to work. I worked at Wenco on a paint line the summer after graduating high school. I joined the Navy reserves as a Hospital Corpsman in order to serve my country and gain experience in the health field. I attended Boot Camp at Great Lakes Naval Training Center during the summer after my freshman year at the University of Dayton. I attended Hospital Corps School at Great Lakes during the summer after my sophomore year at the University of Dayton. I attended reserve duty one weekend a month throughout the year working in the medical department administering immunizations and performing physicals and helping with the physical fitness testing. Every summer I went to Portsmouth Naval Hospital, Norfolk, Virginia to work in the hospital. I studied and became an EMT during college and I volunteered at Saint Elizabeth's and Miami Valley Hospital in Dayton while attending the University of Dayton. I developed a passion for orthopedic surgery after doing an elective during medical school and decided to pursue orthopedic surgery as a career. I had a very busy and academically challenging orthopedic residency program at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit. After completion of my residency, I felt very prepared to enter the workforce and I wanted to continue with general orthopedic surgery as I did not want to limit myself to any particular subspecialty. I was very pleased to return home to central Ohio in 1998 when I joined Dr. Jackson and Dr. Quimjian at orthopedic and fracture clinic. I was a founding member of Orthopedic Specialists & Sports Medicine Inc. in 2000 moving into the new building on Tamarack Road at that time. I worked extremely hard in practice and at the local hospital taking care of a full spectrum of orthopedic injuries and surgeries. I was elected as vice chief of surgery and as chief of the division of orthopedic surgery at the local hospital where I have served for many years in this capacity. I have always been driven to improve the orthopedic services in my practice and at the local hospital. I stay on top of the orthopedic literature in order to remain on the cutting edge of technology as new knowledge and techniques develop. In my spare time I enjoy spending time with my wife and two children and the family dog. I enjoy reading and learning history particularly about the Civil War and also the history of United States and of the presidency. Currently I am the senior managing partner at Orthopedic Specialists & Sports Medicine Inc. as Dr. Jackson and Dr. Quimjian have both retired. I still thoroughly enjoy the practice of orthopedic surgery. I am very excited about the advancements within the field to allow for outpatient joint replacement and custom knee replacement using 3-D printing technology. I am a founding member of Northpointe Surgical Suites located in Zanesville and specializing in outpatient surgical procedures including total shoulder, hip and knee replacement as well as shoulder arthroscopy and arthroscopic rotator cuff repair, arthroscopic knee surgery including menisectomy and ACL reconstruction, fracture work and hand surgical procedures such as carpal tunnel release and CMC Arthroplasty. I look forward to the constant advancement within the field of orthopedic surgery. I look forward to meeting new patients as I do every day and helping them to improve their lives through using my skills as a diagnostician and orthopedic surgeon."

This content was provided by Dr. Westerheide "Patient Centered Care - I educate my patients about their orthopedic problem and explain the treatment options available to them. I then allow my patients to decide which treatment option is right for them."

• Joint Replacement Orthopedic Surgery

• Elbow Sprain
  • Femur Fracture
  • Foot Fracture
  • Foot Sprain
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Ganglion Cyst
  • Internal Derangement of Knee
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Fracture
  • Knee Sprain
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) Sprain
  • Morton's Neuroma
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Non-Unions and Malunions of Fractures

• Shoulder Fracture Treatment
  • Spine Fracture Treatment
  • Synovial Biopsy
  • Trigger Finger Release

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Ohio.

• Dayton
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1989
  • Oh State Univ Coll Of Med and Pub Hlth
    Medical School | Graduated 1993
  • Henry Ford Hosp
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1994
  • Henry Ford Hospital
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1998

Dr. Westerheide has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Westerheide does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Westerheide and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Westerheide's Reviews

3.9
Likelihood of recommending Dr. Westerheide to family and friends

Dr. Westerheide's Performance

Dr. Westerheide Says:
"

I appreciate your time in submitting a patient survey.  If you received great service and attention, please tell a friend, if you did not, please tell me or my staff.  We are committed to providing you the best care.

"

I had both of my hips replaced, about a year apart, by Dr. Westerheide. He did a fantastic job on both occasions. The last one was virtually pain free and I did not have to use prescription pain medicine. It feels great not to have the severe pain that I had before the surgeries. I would highly...more
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option4thumbs down icon option0
I saw Dr. Westerheide after tearing my meniscus in my right knee. I'm a active person and love to hike and ski. I was afraid my favorite activities would come to an end. Dr. Westerheide took time to listen to all my concerns and answer all my questions. His staff quickly scheduled my surgery. After...more
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option6thumbs down icon option0
I saw Dr. Westerheide in an emergent situation. I had cut my finger on a piece of glass. I called his office and he was kind enough to fit me into his busy schedule. He and his staff worked efficiently to get me stitched up. My finger healed up with no scar. I would highly recommend Dr....more
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option5thumbs down icon option0