Dr. Edward Shin, MD

Dr. Edward Shin, MD

Sports Medicine  |

Dr. Shin's goal is to provide timely, professional, and cutting edge care for specialized treatment of the shoulder, hip and knee. He utilizes the latest minimally invasive surgical techniques to provide the best care for sports injuries such as labral tears in the hip, ACL and meniscus tears in the knee, and rotator cuff injuries in the shoulder. He also treat more advanced joint pathology with partial and complete joint replacement when necessary. At Advanced Orthopedics and Sports Medicine, we serve as leaders in the innovation of Orthopaedic surgical treatment with nationally recognized and award winning research in arthroscopic treatment of shoulder and knee injuries. Our team works hard to provide each patient with the respect and attention that we would give to our own families.

Advanced Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine

450 Sutter St Rm 400

San Francisco, CA 94108

• Blue Cross Blue Shield of California
  • Blue Shield of California
  • Chinese Community Health Plan (CCHP)

Learn about Dr. Shin

Dr. Shin's Experience

Dr. Shin's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Sports Medicine
  • Board certified in Orthopedic Surgery

This content was provided by Dr. Shin "Our goal is to make your relationship with us as successful as possible. Advanced Orthopedics and Sports Medicine has thrived because of the thousands of satisfied and devoted patients who have become the referral source for family and friends. We believe in making certain that you not only understand the surgical process, but also play an integral role in the decision making process. "

• Sports Medicine

• Coccygeal Pain
  • Elbow Bursitis
  • Elbow Sprain
  • Foot Fracture
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Glenoid Labrum Tear
  • Internal Derangement of Knee
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Fracture
  • Knee Sprain
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture

• Knee and Leg Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
  • Knee and Lower Leg Fracture Treatment, Closed
  • Knee and Lower Leg Fracture Treatment, Open
  • Neuroplasty
  • Platelet-Rich Plasma Injection (PRP)
  • Rotator Cuff Surgery
  • Shoulder Dislocation Treatment
  • Shoulder Fracture Treatment
  • Shoulder Fracture and Dislocation Treatment

No malpractice history found for California.

• University Of California, Los Angeles
  • University Of California, San Francisco
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2013
  • Abms-American Board Of Orthopaedic Surgery-Orthopedic Surgery
    Other Education | Completed

Dr. Shin has no media or publications listed.

• Korean

Dr. Shin does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Shin and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

St. Mary's Medical Center

is a Healthgrades Top-Rated Hospital

2015 Five Star Recipient for Total Hip Replacement

View Ratings

Dr. Shin's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Shin to family and friends
Dr. Shin's Performance
in San Francisco, CA |
Dr. Shin is extremely knowledgable and takes time with me to share as much information as possible about my symptoms and planned treatment. After my surgery he followed up with me personally by phone on a daily basis to make sure I was recovering well. Put it this way, when it comes to orthopedics, I hope he'll be my doctor for the rest of my life. Couldn't ask for better care.
Calm relaxed and in control. Everything you would want from a surgeon. Quick to respond during off hours.
in San Leandro |
Professional, approachable, skilled surgeon. Not only is Dr. Shin a 5-star surgeon, but he is very humble. He lacks any of that "God Complex" syndrome that you find with many doctors. He genuinely cares for his patient's welfare. He always takes the time necessary to make sure all of my questions and concerns are answered. I would have no hesitation, reccomending Dr. Shin to anyone in need of orthopedic surgery.
in Mill Valley, CA |
Dr. Shin took the time to explain my options and was always available to answer my questions both before and after my surgery.
in Sydney Australia |
Lovely doctor and he and his staff did everything to help me in these difficult circumstances As I was a traveller they were fast in fixinf my brake so I could move on.
San Francisco, CA |
From the moment I first met Dr. Shin, there was no question but that I had his full and undivided attention. He took time to answer my every question fully and to my complete satisfaction, so that there would be no question in my mind about exactly what he was going to be doing and why, and how that would affect me going forward. His staff also went above and beyond for me. My schedule is difficult, and they made extra effort to reach me as needed. Couldn't ask for better. Highly recommended!
San Francisco, CA |
Dr. Shin reconstructed my torn ACL quickly and without incident. The visits were informative.
San Mateo, CA |
Dr. Shin is awesome! He is very patient in answering all of our questions. He did a great job on my surgery. He is highly recommended!
San Francisco, CA |
Dr. Shin made me feel comfortable immediately. I especially liked the fact that he presented alternative options for treatment & left the decision up to me.
in Oakland, CA |
i would highly recommend Dr. Shin. Dr. Shin is courteous, responsive, thorough, efficient, professional, conscientious, and has a sense of humor. He did two total hip replacements on me. He always spends the time necessary to answer my many questions, not rushing the appointment. He speaks honestly about the surgery and recovery process, giving realistic information about expectations, timelines, and recommendations. He hears and integrates my feedback about my care, ensuring we are a team.
in San Francisco, CA |
Dr, Shin is a youngish surgeon that is dedicated and knowledgeable. He admitted to me that knees were not his specialty however I had him do partial replacements on both my knees, Both surgeries turned out great. The staff are awesome as well Sarah Joyal does an amazing job scheduling with the hospital and the followup is terrific. I highly recommend Dr. Shin
Pacifica, CA |
Dr Shin and team made this procedure/experience a breeze. Answered all my questions and checke innin me pre and post surgery. Hope to never need them again but if I do I know where to go.
in San Rafael |
Dr. Shin is very kind and compassionate. I'm in my seventies and he may well be the best doctor and medical experience I've had. He goes out of his way to make clear what will happen during surgery. He never rushes your visits and will completely answer any questions that come up. I did have some unexpected complications during surgery and his explanations were complete and left me with no doubt or concern about my procedure. Bedside manner deluxe.
in San Francisco, CA |
I count myself lucky to have been referred to Dr. Shin for an emergency surgical procedure. Friendly, efficient and highly competent care. I strongly recommend this physician.
in San Francisco, CA |
Look it is a meat and great from the front door the staff is very helpful, then you me a person that shows he's going to take good care of you i recommend Dr shin to everone thank you Doctor
in Daly City, CA |
Dr Shin is an outstanding physician who focuses on the patient as an individual. Dr Shin will take what ever time is needed to ensure that the patient understands the treatment plan and the reason for the treatment.
in San Francisco, CA |
He immediately projects honesty and concern to patients. After speaking with him for only a few minutes, I knew I was in very competent hands. The surgery went well and I am ahead of schedule for recuperation. Thank You, Dr. Shin!
in San Jose, CA |
Have been appreciative on the level of concern & service, will do nothing but .. .. give a great referral
in Castro Valley, CA |
I had a bad ankle injury. Even though I had already received temporary treatment at the emergency room, Dr. Shin was very concerned that I can have surgury as soon as possible to minimize nerve and blood vessels damage, which can lead to bone death. He and his team made quick arrangements for me to have surgery the next day. He is a caring doctor and his team is very friendly and professional.
in Oakland, CA |
I broke my wrist snowboarding and it was the first time I've ever had surgery (I'm 40 years old). I was extremely nervous and Dr. Shin and all of his staff were kind, professional and helpful. They all went out of their way to make me feel comfortable and safe before, during and after my procedure, and Dr. Shin gave me all of the info I needed to make informed decisions about my treatment, and my surgery was a success. I highly recommend!
in San Francisco, CA |
Overall really great experience. Have felt 100% satisfied at every step of the way. He knows what he's talking about, is great at what he does, and is easy to talk to and helps explain whatever you want to know. He won't inundate you with details, but is totally happy to help you understand what to expect if you ask questions. His staff is friendly and very helpful and responsive. Such a great experience. Had my ACL reconstructed, had a tear in my meniscus, and had a torn MCL. HIGHLY RECOMMEND.
in San Francisco, CA |
Dr Shin is FABULOUS! Kind, patient, skilled and thoughtful. You are in good hands!
Dr. Shin is extremely talented. He has been very honest about his procedures, and we have had great conversations about the surgery and techniques that he did for me. I injured my shoulder (grade 5 ac/cc ligaments separation). My life revolves around activity, sports, extreme sports, and I am constantly in motion. He wants, just as much as I do, to get me back to 110% and I truly believe that. When we looked at the post op xrays everyone was blown away at how amazing the shoulder looked.
Have you seen Dr. Edward Shin, MD?
Are you Dr. Shin?

Access Plus Savenet
    Basic PPO
    Enhanced Exclusive for Small Business HMO
    Local Access Plus HMO
  • Chinese Community Health Plan (CCHP)

Hospitals where Dr. Shin has admitting privileges

San Francisco, CA 94118
California Pacific Medical Center - Pacific Campus
2333 Buchanan St
San Francisco, CA 94115

More Sports Medicine Specialists like Dr. Shin at Advanced Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine

Sports Medicine Specialist