Dr. Edward McFarland, MD

Orthopedic Shoulder & Elbow Surgery ·  Male · Age 62

Dr. McFarland

Johns Hopkins Division of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery

10753 Falls Rd Ste 215 Lutherville, MD 21093

Dr. Edward McFarland, MD is an orthopedic shoulder & elbow surgery specialist in Lutherville, MD and has been practicing for 31 years. He graduated from University of Louisville in 1982 and specializes in orthopedic shoulder & elbow surgery, sports medicine, and more.

Dr. McFarland accepts

Dr. McFarland accepts the following insurance:

Amerigroup (Wellpoint)
Commercial Insurance Company
CoreSource
Coventry Health Care
Golden Rule
Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
GEHA
Kaiser Permanente
Medicaid
Tricare
TriCare for Life

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for Maryland

Check Dr. McFarland's experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. McFarland's Top Procedures and Conditions

All Shoulder or Elbow Replacement Procedures

Dr. McFarland performs All Shoulder or Elbow Replacement Procedures more than 99% of his peers

Dr. McFarland performs this procedure more than 99% of his peers

Arm Surgery

Dr. McFarland performs Arm Surgery more than 99% of his peers

Dr. McFarland performs this procedure more than 99% of his peers

Shoulder Fracture and Dislocation Treatment

Dr. McFarland performs Shoulder Fracture and Dislocation Treatment more than 98% of his peers

Dr. McFarland performs this procedure more than 98% of his peers

• Excision of Scapula, Clavicle, Rib, or Sternum
  • Foot and Ankle Fracture Treatment, Closed
  • Ganglion Cyst
  • Glenoid Labrum Tear
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Non-Unions and Malunions of Fractures

Dr. McFarland?
Dr. McFarland's Performance
What People Say About Dr. Edward McFarland, MD
RecentMost Helpful
After multiple failed shoulder surgeries from other surgeons, I am very confident that Dr. McFarland can help me as no other physician has in the past. For the first time in years, I am encouraged about my shoulder issues being solved. Thank you Dr. McFarland.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Edward McFarland, MD?
Dr. McFarland performed a left total shoulder replacement on me in March 2003. He saved my shoulder that had eroded from a staph aureus infection. He takes time to listen to you, take detailed measurements, analyze your problem, reviews radiology results with you in detail, and treats you with respect. His PAs work with him to evaluate your situation, after which he performs his own measurements. His surgical team is top notch, like a pit crew at NASCAR. Best surgeon I have ever had.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Edward McFarland, MD?
Dr. McFarland did a reverse shoulder replacement for me almost a year ago and I can best describe the results as OUTSTANDING - it is almost as good as new. He is thoroughly professional, caring, compassionate, and personable. He is very enthusiastic, highly energetic, and has an excellent sense of humor. I would rate him 5 stars across he bad as exceptional. MLZ
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Edward McFarland, MD?
Excellent doctor with fantastic results.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Edward McFarland, MD?
Outstanding care! Just turned 62 and had second replacement shoulder 7 months ago, 12 months after first replacement, both the result of severe osteo-arthritis. Resumed normal activities after roughly 6 months each time, including rock climbing and cycling! Highly recommend anyone with shoulder problems to see Dr. McFarland.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Edward McFarland, MD?
My total shoulder replacement went extremely well with minimal or no pain. This Dr. really knows what he's doing. I recommend him highly!
Absolutely the best!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Edward McFarland, MD?
Dr. McFarland replaced both of my shoulders. I am nearly pain free. He has a great staff, very efficient and found that visits to his office went very smoothly. Both surgeries were without complication. Would go back to him again. In fact my son is scheduled for surgery with him in December.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Edward McFarland, MD?
Excellent care and results for Reverse Total Shoulder Arthroplasty. Answered all of my extensive technical questions and provided peer reviewed evidence supporting the efficacy of this invasive surgery. Great range of motion, relief from pain and excellent stability. Explained to satisfaction all my questions concerning shoulder contour changes expected. Recommend not waiting, since time equals bone loss wear the prosthesis needs to attach too. Doctor McFarland can explain the details.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Edward McFarland, MD?
Dr. McFarland and his team are great. No waiting to see the Dr. I was there to have both of my shoulders replaced. Dr. McFarland explained everything in lay mans terms and answered all of my questions and my wifes questions. I never felt rushed during an appointment. It has been 11/2 years for my right shoulder and 1 year for my left and I couldn't be happier. A great Dr. and his team is outstanding.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Edward McFarland, MD?
clearly communicating. attentive, compassionate physician providing excellent care in both ambulatory and in-hospital post-op setting
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Edward McFarland, MD?
I had a MA injury in my left shoulder. I had physical therapy and ended up going to see 3 orthopedic doctors. Minimal effort. I finally found Dr. McFarland. He set a team of his assistants to film my range of motion & analyzed it. He then called me in to say he didn't know what was wrong but he'd go in anyway. He found it, fixed it, and I was able to use my shoulder for the first time in 2 years. Best ever, anywhere. My son's wrestling injury is next. Left shoulder. We're going straight to him.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Edward McFarland, MD?
I was a patient 3 and 4 years ago and had both shoulders reconstructed which he did a completely stellar job on also his bed side manner is impeccable I have never been treated so well by any Dr his attentiveness to my situation and the way he treated my wife and children both before and after my surgery are the absolute best. You will not find another orthopedic surgeon as good as he on the entire east coast!!! Thank you Dr McFarland and staff you guys are second to none
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Edward McFarland, MD?
I recommend Dr. McFarland to all people who need an experienced doctor in hard/unusual cases. Dr. McFarland saved my right shoulder after another doctor messed it up and I was loosing my arms mobility. No other doctor in my home base would touch my shoulder. Only Dr. McFarland conduct Revision surgery. My shoulder feels like brand new. I ended up replacing my other shoulder within 6 months of the first one and I have never been happier.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Edward McFarland, MD?
Ok so I have NEVER left a review for any doctor, from any practice or for any reason until today. My experience with Dr. Edward McFarland and his entire Johns Hopkins staff was so amazing that I really felt I owed them all something in return. If you have seen an orthopedic surgeon for any reason and are within any reasonable distance (3 hour round trip for me) get a second opinion from McFarland. Or save some time and go there first! I sure wish I had, it would have saved me a lot of pain! A+++
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Edward McFarland, MD?
My left shoulder was killing me. So I made the decision to have replacement surgery. Dr McFarland is best at what he does. I can lift my arm above my head now without severe pain. I glad I did it. Not to mention he is the friendliest doctor I've ever had.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Edward McFarland, MD?
My experience with Dr. McFarland was wonderful. From my first appointment to my last a year later after my shoulder replacement. He listens, communicates and defiantly knows his stuff. He has a great staff. I came in nervous and in a lot of pain and I was put at ease. My Surgery went great and the pain is gone and I have more motion then I have had in years. It has improved my quality of life greatly. If you need a shoulder doctor he is the best.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Edward McFarland, MD?
Top expert is shoulder replacements. Great doctor. Replaced both my shoulders and I feel like a new person. Dr McFarland has a great office, staff and associates. Feel fortunate if he is your doctor.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Edward McFarland, MD?
Surgery went great, no pain in shoulder from the time I was taken to the OR. Dr McFarland is easy to talk to and responsive to all my questions. He made the whole experience very easy and made me feel that I had nothing to fear from the suergery, he was right.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Edward McFarland, MD?
I found Dr McFarland knowledgeable and a wonderfully skilled surgeon in addition to a great personality. I had a reverse shoulder replacement three years ago and I am totally back to normal with no pain.
Show more reviews

How was your experience with Dr. McFarland?

Johns Hopkins Division of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery

Check the quality of care at hospitals where Dr. McFarland treats patients.

Compare Providers