Dr. Edward Chen, MD

Dr. Chen
Telehealth services available

Clearwater Pain Managmt Assocs

430 Morton Plant St Ste 210 Clearwater, FL 33756

Dr. Edward Chen, MD is a Pain Medicine Specialist in Clearwater, FL and has over 31 years of experience in the medical field. He graduated from Temple University School of Medicine medical school in 1990. He is affiliated with Morton Plant Hospital. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Chen to book an appointment.

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Pain Medicine Specialists in your area

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Offers Telehealth
  • Practices at Top Hospital
    Patient Safety Excellence Award™ See hospitals

No malpractice claims found for Florida

Check Dr. Chen's experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. Chen's Top Procedures and Conditions

Post-Laminectomy Syndrome

Dr. Chen treats Post-Laminectomy Syndrome more than 96% of his peers

Dr. Chen treats this condition more than 96% of his peers

Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement)

Dr. Chen treats Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement) more than 92% of his peers

Dr. Chen treats this condition more than 92% of his peers

Rating Includes other areas of care:

• Brachial Neuritis
  • Polyneuritis
  • Radiculitis
  • Ulnar Neuritis
  • Vestibular Neuritis
Hide other areas of care
Intervertebral Disc Disease

• Chronic Pain
  • Chronic Postoperative Pain
  • Diabetic Polyneuropathy
  • Epidural Block, Facet Blocks
  • Epidural Lysis of Adhesions (LOA)
  • Myofascial Trigger Point Injection
  • Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy
  • Spinal Nerve Block
  • Upper Back Pain

Dr. Chen accepts

Dr. Chen accepts the following insurance:

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida

3.9

69.04761904761905%
4.761904761904762%

Dr. Chen?
  • Listened & answered questions (30)
  • Office environment (29)
  • Staff friendliness (29)
  • Appointment was rushed (11)
  • Difficult to schedule appointment (11)
  • Didn't listen or answer questions (10)
I've been going there for over 3 years, and I wouldn't go anywhere else! I am a Registered Nurse and I have observed how all of the staff and PA's and Dr's treat all patients. Highly recommend!
JimRN – Mar 16, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Edward Chen, MD?
Dr. Chen is good at what he does, but his bedside manner leaves a lot to be desired. Because of Covid, our first visit was via Zoom and my husband and I were able to talk to Dr. Chen and that was the last time we ever spoke with him! Because my husband is not a candidate for back surgery, because of the condition of his back plus he's had two surgeries, Dr. Chen was recommended. He performed two procedures, under sedation, and neither time did he talk to my husband or myself. Since neither procedure gave relief, it was suggested that my husband have a stimulator implanted in his lower back. Before a permanent stimulator is put in, there is a 7-day trial period where the stimulator is put in just below the skin and if all goes well, a permanent surgery is done. Both of these procedures were done at a surgery center and neither time did Dr. Chen talk to us after it was done. Never had a follow up appt. If needed, would find another pain management doctor.
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Staff wasn't friendly
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
Mar 15, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Edward Chen, MD?
It was quite good; staff was helpful and Dr. Chen was no nonsense; he obviously knew what he was doing; procedure was quick and painless
Tim – Feb 09, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Edward Chen, MD?
The office staff is friendly and organized. Everyone is very efficient. They respect my privacy and explain things even though I am a retired nurse. I especially like Mike Hux, a PA for the practice. He is easy to talk to and listens to me. I have received steroid injections by 2 of the doctors and they did a great job! I highly recommend this practice!
Laura – Feb 06, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Edward Chen, MD?
Have been going to Dr Chen for over 20 yrs. he is the best, One time only for insurance reasons I had to go to a different pain management doctor. But quickly found my way back to him.
Lynn G – Feb 06, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Edward Chen, MD?
The staff is exceptional. The Dr’s and PA,S are also exceptional.
Feb 06, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Edward Chen, MD?
I just received an email asking me for my opinion regarding my recent visit with Dr. Chen. The only thing I can say, really, is that it was by no means recent. It's been over a year, if memory serves, and perhaps 18 months. Not really much help as I awaited spine surgery. Found another pain specialist, who helped maybe a little bit with a more directed injection guided via fluoroscope. Had the surgery, and I had a lot of pain during my rehab period afterward, but I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, as they say.
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Staff wasn't friendly
  • Long wait times
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Pastor in Pain – Feb 06, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Edward Chen, MD?
Dr Chen is the Best Doctor! He truly cares about his patients. Not just your pain, he cares about You and what he can do to make your life better when you have chronic pain. I would Highly recommend him. I have been a patient since 1997 and I don't think I would have made it this far without him.
Virna Deike – Feb 06, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Edward Chen, MD?
I have been seeing Dr Chen for 5 years for complex problems causing back pain. He listens to me and uses CT scans and X-rays to determine treatments. He is knowledgeable of various procedures and current techniques. He is keeping me from having surgery.
Feb 02, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Edward Chen, MD?
Been a patient of Dr. Chen for TWENTY TWO (22) plus YEARS... MANY regular monthly visits and eight years of one in three months. WORK COMP CLAIM,, and truthfully can say if NOT FOR DR CHEN and his excellent staff,, unlikely I'd still be here today.. (Work Comp Insurance Carrier has LONG HISTORY of NEVER doing what Doctor orders, beyond belief and MORE than space allows-AGAIN if it was not for Dr. Chen, unlikely still be alive today,, ), Have highest respect for Dr. Chen,, more so than ANY other physician, bar none, that it has been my experience to interact as patient with during past 42-years the Work Comp Claim has been ongoing <FOUR cervical spine surgeries, TWO posterior failures making problem worse, and Work Comp Carrier IGNORING doctors recommendations including last Neurosurgeon for last required surgery (17+ years ago).. Dr. Chen has been single doctor who actually CARES.
David Willis – Jan 30, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Edward Chen, MD?
Wonderful. He's attentive, caring and personable. He actually wants to find the best solution to my problem...as an individual. He doesn't lump all his patients into a category which was surprisingly different then the average Doctor in this line of medicine. It was refreshing and welcome, giving me a glance that there was more that could be done to reach a solution for my pain.
Fawn Johnson – Jan 29, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Edward Chen, MD?
I feel very fortunate to be in Dr. Chen and his staff’s care. Dr. Chen and Mike Hux have effectively and compassionately treated all of my long term and challenging health issues for 10+ years. I would never think of changing doctors. Dr. Chen has a very calming presence with a great sense of humor. He is confident, caring, compassionate and a great listener. Doctor Chen is a godsend and I feel blessed to be in his care. I also have to mention his staff is wonderful, efficient, caring, friendly and make going to the doctor a positive experience. Most of his entire staff have been there as long as I’ve been a patient. That alone says a lot about Doctor Chen and his office. I highly recommend Dr. Chen and if you are lucky enough to be his patient you won’t regret it.
D. Chase – Jan 29, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Edward Chen, MD?
I have seen Dr Chen for more than 20 years. I would say if I had not had him to manage my pain I would not be here. He is kind and caring, compassionate, and truly truly brilliant. I have referred everyone I know that has a pain problem to him. We considered moving out of state and I can tell you that I would’ve flown back here every three or four months to get a procedure from him . He has treated my neck and back pain and I completely trust any decision that he makes .
Kathy Dreyer in palm harbor, FL – Feb 13, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Edward Chen, MD?
Dr Chen is one of the most caring Doctors I have ever had in my lifetime. Over the past 9 years he has allowed me with treatments to return to work and have a healthy lifestyle. If you need a caring doctor, he is one of the few.
Tony in Clearwater, FL – Nov 16, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Edward Chen, MD?
Dr. Chen has given me such great care. I did not want to take pain medications and he explained the options for me. It has been a long road of recovery for me and he has been there every step of the way. He's been such a thorough and knowledgeable doctor.
Largo, FL – Jul 31, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Edward Chen, MD?
Dr Chen is an amazing doctor. He listens to what you have to say and makes a plan from there. He isn't all business as I read of other posts. He is very caring and thorough. I totally trust him 200%
Mary in Dunedin, Fl – Sep 10, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Edward Chen, MD?
Dr Chen is compassionate, caring, and thoughtful. You will never meet a doctor who places more time in trying to determine a proper course of treatment. I trust him with my neck and my pain, which is significant. I have referred several friends to him for further evaluation and treatment. This is not a pain factory; it matters to him that you have pain and he wants to work to relieve that pain. I would never go to any other pain management doctor.
Judith Moroff in Palm Harbor FL – Aug 31, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Edward Chen, MD?
Dr Chen is all about helping you decrease your pain and not handing out pain pills. He makes one responsible for their narcotic needs. Sometimes, I think he could listen and say a little more but he's the silent type of guy. I do wish I had at least a little time to visit with him before getting sedation for injections.
Clearwater, FL – Mar 16, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Edward Chen, MD?
Dr. Chen is an AMAZING doctor. He takes the time to help and is NOT all about medicating to fix the problem. He cares about the health of his patients and wants nothing more than to see them pain free and healthy!
Safety Harbor – Feb 10, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Edward Chen, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Chen?

• Pain Medicine