Dr. Eduardo Uchiyama, MD

Dr. Eduardo Uchiyama, MD

Vitreoretinal Disease & Surgery  |
Dr. Eduardo Uchiyama, MD is a vitreoretinal disease & surgery doctor who practices in Fort Lauderdale, FL. He is 37 years old and has been practicing for 13 years. Read his story

6333 N Federal Hwy Ste 300

• Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida
  • HealthSmart

Learn about Dr. Uchiyama

See how frequently Dr. Uchiyama performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Iridocyclitis
Uveitis and Iridocyclitis
Endophthalmitis

Dr. Uchiyama's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Uchiyama's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Uchiyama "Dr. Eduardo Uchiyama joined the Retina Group of Florida after completing his Uveitis Fellowship at Harvard Medical School and participating in the uveitis referral practice at the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary and Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. He also served as an attending physician in the emergency department, where he supervised ophthalmologists-in-training and medical students. Dr. Uchiyama earned his Medical Degree with honors from the Universidad de San Martin de Porres in his native Peru, where he was the recipient of a Teaching and Leadership award that provided tuition scholarship throughout medical school. After relocating to the United States, he undertook three years of postdoctoral research training at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School. He then completed his Ophthalmology Residency and Vitreoretinal Surgery Fellowship at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center/Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas, Texas. During his last year in Dallas, he served as Chief Retina Fellow and maintained a very active retina practice at two large county hospitals. Determined to expand his skills, Dr. Uchiyama accepted a fellowship in Uveitis and Ocular Immunology at Harvard Medical School, with appointments at the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary and Massachusetts General Hospital. During his last year of training, Dr. Uchiyama honed his expertise in the medical and surgical management of patients with ocular inflammatory conditions. Upon graduation, he was honored as the "Ophthalmology Fellow of the Year," an award given at Harvard Medical School for outstanding dedication and contribution to resident education. His clinical areas of interest include immunomodulatory (steroid-sparing) therapy in uveitis, birdshot retinochoroidopathy, ocular toxoplasmosis, viral retinitis, age-related macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, macular surgery and retinal detachment surgery. He has been actively involved in clinical research studies and has been published in several scientific journals. He is a peer reviewer for the journals RETINA and JAMA Ophthalmology. He is Board Certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology. Dr. Uchiyama is a member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO), the American Society of Retina Specialists (ASRS), the American Uveitis Society (AUS), the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO), and the Pan-American Association of Ophthalmology (PAAO). His interests include spending time with his family, reading, traveling and applying science to cooking. He is fluent in both English and Spanish."

• Vitreoretinal Disease & Surgery

• Chorioretinitis
  • Chronic Endophthalmitis
  • Cytomegaloviral Retinitis
  • Diabetic Eye Disease
  • Diabetic Macular Edema (DME)
  • Diabetic Retinopathy
  • Retinal Neovascularization
  • Retinal Tear
  • Retinal Telangiectasia
  • Retinal Vein Occlusion
  • Retinopathy of Prematurity (ROP)
  • Retinoschisis

• Retinal Surgery
  • Scleral Buckling
  • Scleral Reinforcement Surgery
  • Vitrectomy
  • Vitrectomy (incl. Macular Hole Repair)
  • Vitreoretinal Surgery

• University San Martin De Porres / College Of Medicine
    Medical School | Graduated 2004
    Internship Hospital | Completed 2008
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2011
  • Massachusetts Eye & Ear Infirmary/Harvard Medical School
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2014
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2013

Dr. Uchiyama has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Uchiyama does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Uchiyama and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Uchiyama's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Uchiyama to family and friends
Dr. Uchiyama's Performance
in Ft LauPalmerderdale, FL |
Dr. Uchiyama performed my retina detachment surgery about six weeks ago. After a severe case of uveitis and other rare eye issues, Dr. Uchiyama wanted a complete and through follow-up schedule. Thank God he checked my eyes so often. In a routine check-up, he noticed a tiny tear in my retina. Because he did surgery the next day, my retina did not completely detach. But it would have within 48 hours, and I would have lost my vision in that eye. Not only is he a phenomenal surgeon, but he is al
in Hollywood, FL |
Dr. Uchiyama saved my husband's eyesight. He performed an emergency retinal reattachment - he moved his schedule around to accommodate us. The follow up care was profound. He was patient and caring. A true professional and a talented surgeon.
in Ft Lauderdale, FL |
I am so grateful Dr. Uchiyama has been my Dr. for the past nine months. I have had many setbacks along the way but, Dr. Uchiyama has always decided on the correct next step. He has been very encouraging. Besides two minor surgeries, I required emergency surgery which he performed very successfully late into the evening. He is a very competent, knowledgeable and caring doctor. I highly recommend him.
in Hollywood,FL |
Dr. Uchiyama is an excellent doctor. He did my retina surgery andI'm very pleased of the performance that he did. Every follow visit was great also he's a very kind and pleasant doctor.
in Ft Lauderdale, FL |
Tuve la experiencia de tener al doctor Uchiyama al cuidado de un problema en mis ojos después de 6 meses me dio de alta y todo salió como el dijo tuvo la paciencia de contestar todas mis preguntas y temores y poder salir de esta situación Yo lo recomiendo ya que ha sido el mejor oftalmologo que me ha atendido
Palm Beach Gardens, FL |
Dr. Uchiyama is an excellent doctor. He is very knowledgeable about retina diseases, and exhibits true care and compassion. After seeing a couple of eye doctors who misdiagnosed my problem, I was referred to Dr. Uchiyama. His intervention saved vision in my eye. I am very thankful to be in his care.
Port Saint Lucie, FL |
Dr. Uchiyama was fantastic! I required immediate retinal surgery and he provided excellent expertise. I would definitely recommend him to anyone needing eye care.
in Margate, FL |
A couple of years ago my daughter who was 10 yo. at the time came home with red eyes. Thinking it was allergies I ignored it for a few days... as it came and gone, at a point, we saw an allergist, he obviously then sent us to an eye doctor, there and then we discovered she has uveitis. The eye Dr. recommended that we see a specialist ASAP. We went online looking for a uveitis specialist who can treat our girl, thankfully, we found out about doctor Uchiyama, since it was considered an emergency,
in Port Jefferson Station, NY |
I cannot say enough positive things about Dr. Uchiyama and his staff at the Retinal Group of Fort Lauderdale. They are truly an asset to the community and their specialty. Under Dr. Uchiyama's care I received the individualized attention and concern that is expected but not always received by other medical professionals. He is a credit to his profession and I am sincerely grateful to have been under his care. I highly recommend him! Jacqueline S. Former patient
in New York |
While on vacation in Florida I suffered a detached retina, causing a total loss of vision in my right eye. Needless to say, I was very anxious and nervous about this procedure. I was referred to Dr. Uchiyama, who performed the surgery, completely restoring my vision. Dr. Uchiyama is brilliant, caring and compassionate. He answered all of my questions and concerns, and was very reassuring. Dr. Uchiyama saved my sight, and I will be grateful to him until the day I die. He is a wonderful doctor!
Pompano Beach, FL |
Dr Uchiyama is a very knowledgeable, no nonsense , straight to the point doctor. My initial visit was a bit overwhelming due to my vision issue, however the doctor gave me comforting words and a logical treatment plan. He knows his stuff and diagnosed my case prior to even receiving lab results. In the midst of resolving my uveitis I suddenly developed a detached retina. Little did I realize I would need emergency surgery and he was the surgeon. How lucky was I to have this diagnosed at a routi
in Pompano Beach, FL |
Dr. Uchiyama was truly amazing. He was able to perform emergency surgery to save me vision. His follow up, expertise and amazing staff ensured a smooth recovery process. I would highly recommend he and his entire staff for anyone looking for the best care possible!
in Ft Lauderdale, FL |
Dr. Uchiyama is more than an excellent doctor. His expertise and work ethic saved my vision. He diagnosed a rare but serious eye condition after two other doctors missed it. He gave me the choice of 11 days in the hospital or a rigorous anti-viral/steroid regime and meeting with him every day. He made it clear that this would not be an easy choice. This progressive approach not only saved me thousands of dollars but also stopped the virus in record time. He never rushed through an exam, not even
in Miami, FL |
Great course of treatment since starting with him about 3 years ago, after other drs in a rush to operate on me. He evaluate my retinas carefully, listen to my answers to his questions, and sometimes explain potential for future need of surgery or risks such as cataracts. But always seemed understand I didn't want surgery but realized I listened closely, understood what was happening, and glad he allowed me to decide with his full advice.
Boca raton, fl |
Like a factory and long wait time. Crowded office.
in Lantana, Florida |
Dr. Uchiyama is one of the most professional, efficient and educated specialists I have ever encountered. He diagnosed my eye issue right away and we began treatment for a condition that for me has become chronic. I am grateful for his expert knowledge.
in Lake Worth, FL |
Dr. Uchiyama has a reputation of being one of the finest Retina Specialists in Florida. I confidently back this up based on the great job he did reattaching my Retina as well as the follow up visits. I highly recommend Dr. Uchiyama and his Staff to anyone experiencing Retina problems. Vision problems are serious issues and often require immediate attention to prevent loss of vision. I am thankful that my vision was entrusted (and restored) with this Doctor.
in Southwest Ranches, FL |
After a missed diagnosis from my primary eye doctor I needed an emergency surgery to reattach a detached retina. I met Dr. Uchiyama the morning of my surgery. He explained very well what I would experience during and after surgery. The surgery was successful and I regained the vision in my eye. He has continued to follow up with me over the past year and a half since the surgery. I find him very caring and his recommendations have been on point. He and his staff are always very professional.
in Ft Lauderdale, FL |
Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy diagnosis. Doctor was not willing to give me options for treatment. Pushed laser treatment after i told him repeatedly that i wanted OPTIONS. He instilled fear in me and I felt highly anxious during the process. Rushed me out of my consultation because he had to tend to another patient.
in Florida |
After cataract surgery,I completely lost vision in my left eye and the inflammation was so severe that it was impossible for any doctor to see into the eye. I went to a second opinion doctor who recommended I see Dr. Uchiyama, the best eye doctor in Florida according to him. Even with this stellar recommendation, Dr. Uchiyama managed to exceed my expectations. He saved my vision in my left eye and treated me with the most kindness and care. I wholeheartedly recommend and appreciate Dr. Uchiyama!
Hollywood, FL |
I presented with sudden loss of vision in one eye and Dr. Uchiyama addressed the problem and used state of the arts care that may have saved my vision. I trust his judgment and skills and hardly recommend him.
in Coconut Creek, FL |
Doctor Eduardo Uchiyama is the most professional and personal eye doctor ever . Due to his vigilance he not only saved my eye sight he saved my life. He was the only doctor of many to find out why I was losing my sight. His precedence and knowledge found the problems I was having. I recommend him 100% if you in need of a eye doctor for diseases of the retina & uveitis. I want to thank him publically for my eye sight and my life
Have you seen Dr. Eduardo Uchiyama, MD?
Are you Dr. Uchiyama?