Dr. Eduardo Uchiyama, MD

Vitreoretinal Disease & SurgeryMaleAge 40

Dr. Eduardo Uchiyama, MD is a Vitreoretinal Disease Specialist in Fort Lauderdale, FL and has over 17 years of experience in the medical field. He graduated from University San Martin De Porres / College of Medicine medical school in 2004. He is affiliated with medical facilities Broward Health Imperial Point and Holy Cross Hospital. He is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Uchiyama to book an appointment.

Dr. Uchiyama

Retina Group of Florida

6333 N Federal Hwy Ste 300 Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Vitreoretinal Disease Specialists in your area

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Practices at Top Hospital
    America's 250 Best Hospitals Award™ See hospitals
  • Hospital Satisfaction

No malpractice claims found for Florida

Check Dr. Uchiyama's experience treating your condition or procedure

• Blind Hypotensive Eye
  • Central Serous Chorioretinopathy
  • Chorioretinal Scars
  • Chorioretinitis
  • Choroidal Neovascular Membranes (CNVM)
  • Chronic Endophthalmitis
  • Destruction of Lesion of Retina and Choroid
  • Diabetic Macular Edema (DME)
  • Diabetic Retinopathy
  • Retinoschisis
  • Tear Duct Disorders
  • Uveitis and Iridocyclitis
  • Visual Field Defects
  • Vitrectomy (incl. Macular Hole Repair)
  • Vitreoretinal Surgery
  • Vitreous Hemorrhage
  • Wet Age-Related Macular Degeneration

Dr. Uchiyama accepts

Dr. Uchiyama accepts the following insurance:

National (BlueCard) PPO

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Uchiyama

88.70967741935483%
9.67741935483871%

Dr. Uchiyama?
  • Staff friendliness (55)
  • Explained conditions well (54)
  • Office environment (54)
  • Long wait times (9)
  • Appointment was rushed (7)
  • Didn't explain conditions well (6)
Walking through the door I was greeted by staff who showed caring of my safety, the staff and the doctor's by taking my temperature and asking precautionary COVID 19 questions. This office is large and equipped with enough pleasant staff members to keep me going before it's time to be evaluated by the doctor. Each employee were so nice to be around. Based on my condition and diagnosis Dr. Uchiyama gave me a truthful and professional plan of care. He immediately started working on my damaged eyes, not advising me to come back for another appointment and charging my insurance. Each visit he worked my eyes and his hands over the limit to help me. I truly appreciate all that he has done for me and I strongly recommend his services to anyone I know and anyone reading this.
Samantha W – Nov 13, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Eduardo Uchiyama, MD?
Dr. Uchiyama's knowledge, experience, and kindness not only saved my sight, he probably even saved my life. I could not be more grateful to be referred to him. He's the best.
Nov 03, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Eduardo Uchiyama, MD?
He is not really my Dr. He was seeing patients of Dr. Kelly at Wellington and I happened to come in for an emergency visit. I have to say sadly that he is not personable Dr. or seemed genuinely concerned about my condition. I would not want him to be my Dr.
  • Didn't explain conditions well
Retina Patient Wellington – Sep 29, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Eduardo Uchiyama, MD?
Dr Uchiyama is the BEST! After complications from cataract surgery he was able to resolve my issues and restore my eyesight. He and his staff are a pleasure, they go out of their way to be helpful and courteous. Without him i may have lost my sight. Thank you Dr.
Sep 25, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Eduardo Uchiyama, MD?
Last year during a hurricane, I suffered from a Retina detachment that required immediate surgery. Presenting a challenge, Dr. Uchiyama performed my "not so typical" surgery and saved my retina. I am eternally grateful for his kindness, Professionalism, and humble demeanor. I completely felt comfortable through the entire process. Words cannot express my gratitude.
Dawn Nunez – Aug 06, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Eduardo Uchiyama, MD?
To me, the rapidness with which I was losing my eyesight was terrifying. Other eye doctors recommended Dr. Uchiyama immediately and i have been grateful every day since. The minute I met him I knew he wanted to help and that he knew what to do. I could not be asleep for my surgery since Dr. Uchiyama needed me to hold my eye in certain positions while he removed a growth from my retina. (And i know he forgave me for twitching a bit) His abilities as a surgeon are incredible because I could see everything he did with his instrument. I can see much better now and keep regular appointments with Dr. Uchiyama. He has my best interests in mind and his knowledge is priceless to me. And from my experience his concern for all his patients is the same. He has my respect and i am grateful beyond words. A thought: If a 10 to 15 min wait time bothers anyone, think about why it takes that 'long'. That is nothing when you consider the quality of care & knowledge you will receive!
Janice Zohn-Watson – Feb 11, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Eduardo Uchiyama, MD?
Dr.Ushiyama is an excellent physician.He communicates with the patient and listens to your needs. We have been seeing him for over 5 years and he is always very professional and courteous with us. I highly recommend Eduardo in every way.My retina issue has improved tremendously since I’ve been under his care.
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Staff wasn't friendly
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
Ignacio Rivera in Aventura , FL – Aug 29, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Eduardo Uchiyama, MD?
I am blessed to have Dr. Uchiyama as my doctor and I will attest that he is one of the best in his profession. His medial expertise saved me from losing my sight. Thank you Dr. Uchiyama.
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Staff wasn't friendly
Marlene Reid – Aug 22, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Eduardo Uchiyama, MD?
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I will never move out of this area so I can be within driving distance of Dr Uchiyama. He is the best!!!!!!. Don't waste your energy looking for anyone else. Ken McCormack.
Apr 06, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Eduardo Uchiyama, MD?
Dr. Uchiyama opened his office on a Saturday afternoon to check out my compliant. He was on call and had never met me before. He examined me and determined that I had a detached retina. He scheduled me for surgery the following AM. I thank him for saving the vision in that eye as well as repairing tears in both retinas. He is a wonderful caring MD. I recommend him highly
Joel L. Savitz, MD in Plantation, Florida – Apr 18, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Eduardo Uchiyama, MD?
It's been 15 months, and I could not be happier with Dr. Uchiyama. He has been with me every step of the way, What started as a virus on my retina, led to a detachment plus a 2nd surgery to remove the oil. It has now been one year since the detachment surgery and six months since the oil removal. He told me I had a 1 in 4 chance of the retina detaching again. It didn't. I know it was from Dr. Uchiyama;'s expertise and amazing follow-up care. He cared about my outcome.
yvonne palmer in Cooper City, FL – Mar 21, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Eduardo Uchiyama, MD?
My optometrist referred me to Dr. Uchimaya and he was able to see me within a few hours Due to a detached retina he suggested I have surgery immediately He explained everything to my understanding and shared the risks and benefits of the surgery One of my daughters was with me at every doctor visit. He patiently answered all of their questions and professionally addressed their concerns. Since my surgery at every visit he tells me that I am a 'miracle'. My vision in the right eye is 20/20
Sarah Wade – Feb 20, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Eduardo Uchiyama, MD?
DR. UCHIYAMA IS A CARING, QUALIFIED RETINA SPECIALIST WHO HAS HELPED ME GET THROUGH A TRAUMATIC DIAGNOSIS OF BIRDSHOT, A RARE DISEASE OF THE EYE THAT CAUSES MY VISION TO BE CLOUDY. WITHOUT HIS UNDERSTANDING AND SUPPORT, I WOULD HAVE FALLEN INTO A DEEP DEPRESSION BECAUSE MY ILLNESS IS INCURABLE. WITH HIS HELP I AM COPING AND EVEN THRIVING DESPITE MY ILLNESS. I DON'T KNOW WHAT I WOULD DO WITHOUT HIM. HE IS A CONSUMATE PROFESSIONAL WHO GENUINELY CARES ABOUT HIS PATIENTS.
SHARON YATES in boynton beach – Feb 19, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Eduardo Uchiyama, MD?
I went to several doctors including Bascom Palmer and no one could help me with my Iritis. Every doctor knew what I had but not why or how to cure it. Finally I went to see Dr Eduardo Uchiyama.. what a wonderful day that was I cannot say enough good things about him. After telling him all that I have been through he was so sure he could help me and he did. One day I thought I was losing my vision now I see better then before. I would never hesitate to recommend this Doctor Who is the best.
Audrey in Hollywood Fla – Dec 21, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Eduardo Uchiyama, MD?
Dr. Uchiyama performed my retina detachment surgery about six weeks ago. After a severe case of uveitis and other rare eye issues, Dr. Uchiyama wanted a complete and through follow-up schedule. Thank God he checked my eyes so often. In a routine check-up, he noticed a tiny tear in my retina. Because he did surgery the next day, my retina did not completely detach. But it would have within 48 hours, and I would have lost my vision in that eye. Not only is he a phenomenal surgeon, but he is al
Palmer in Ft LauPalmerderdale, FL – Nov 03, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Eduardo Uchiyama, MD?
Dr. Uchiyama saved my husband's eyesight. He performed an emergency retinal reattachment - he moved his schedule around to accommodate us. The follow up care was profound. He was patient and caring. A true professional and a talented surgeon.
Escudero in Hollywood, FL – Aug 24, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Eduardo Uchiyama, MD?
I am so grateful Dr. Uchiyama has been my Dr. for the past nine months. I have had many setbacks along the way but, Dr. Uchiyama has always decided on the correct next step. He has been very encouraging. Besides two minor surgeries, I required emergency surgery which he performed very successfully late into the evening. He is a very competent, knowledgeable and caring doctor. I highly recommend him.
Sandy N. in Ft Lauderdale, FL – Jul 13, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Eduardo Uchiyama, MD?
Dr. Uchiyama is an excellent doctor. He did my retina surgery andI'm very pleased of the performance that he did. Every follow visit was great also he's a very kind and pleasant doctor.
Sultana Anidjar in Hollywood,FL – Jul 13, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Eduardo Uchiyama, MD?
Tuve la experiencia de tener al doctor Uchiyama al cuidado de un problema en mis ojos después de 6 meses me dio de alta y todo salió como el dijo tuvo la paciencia de contestar todas mis preguntas y temores y poder salir de esta situación Yo lo recomiendo ya que ha sido el mejor oftalmologo que me ha atendido
Carlos Giadach Gidi in Ft Lauderdale, FL – Jun 29, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Eduardo Uchiyama, MD?
Dr. Uchiyama is an excellent doctor. He is very knowledgeable about retina diseases, and exhibits true care and compassion. After seeing a couple of eye doctors who misdiagnosed my problem, I was referred to Dr. Uchiyama. His intervention saved vision in my eye. I am very thankful to be in his care.
Palm Beach Gardens, FL – Jun 01, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Eduardo Uchiyama, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Uchiyama?

Dr. Eduardo Uchiyama joined the Retina Group of Florida after completing his Uveitis Fellowship at Harvard Medical School and participating in the uveitis...Read more

• Vitreoretinal Disease & Surgery