Dr. Edmund Messina, MD

Dr. Edmund Messina, MD

Neurology  ·
Dr. Edmund Messina, MD is a neurology specialist in East Lansing, MI and has been practicing for 37 years. He graduated from University Of Illinois College Of Medicine Chicago in 1977 and specializes in neurology, adult neurology, and more.Read his story

1675 Watertower Pl Ste 600

East Lansing, MI 48823

• AvMed
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois
  • CareFirst Blue Cross Blue Shield
  • Cofinity

Learn about Dr. Messina

See how frequently Dr. Messina performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Insomnia
Migraine
All Headaches (incl. Migraine)

Dr. Messina's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Messina's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Messina "I was born and raised in metropolitan New York, earned a bachelors degree in Biology and then lived in France for a number of years where I taught and directed small independent films. Upon return to the US, I worked on a PhD in molecular biology and then attended medical school at the University of Illinois in Chicago, did my residency in Neurology at Washington University at Barnes Hospital where I served as Chief Resident for 2 years.I recently wrote the book, The Spattered White Coat about my experiences as a medical student and intern in Chicago. Upon completion of my training, my wife Jayne (an RN) and I started our practice in Muskegon and later moved our clinic to Ann Arbor where I worked out of St. Joseph Mercy Hospital, eventually moving to the Lansing area in the late 80's where we have remained since then. We have no intentions or plans to retire for a long time to come. Over the years, we have done many interesting things, including starting the Sleep Center in Muskegon, the Greater Muskegon Epilepsy Society, the dementia screening program and other programs before moving to the mid-state area. We developed one of the first electronic medical records in the 1980s, which we continue to expand and we have patented a computer language used in expert systems, which we currently used for patient history taking. We produced the award winning Life and Migraine documentary for PBS, appeared in an episode of Mystery Diagnosis (Discovery Health) and produced and directed the award winning feature drama, Lily's Mom, dealing with abuse and self-advocacy of the individual. Jayne and I founded Arbor Medicus, a global medical community for physician education and for patients to help themselves, a work in progress. Jayne and I enjoy working with our patients, especially our long-term chronic patients who are like old friends. Our office staff has been with us for many years and we were fortunate to add a new Physician Assistant to our staff in August 2016. We provide a style of care which is very personalized, quite unlike the corporate models of care which are arising everywhere. I believe that the gratification we get from interpersonal relationships is much more important than business growth, so we remain small and very efficient. Nevertheless, we serve patients throughout Michigan, neighboring states and Canada. Within Michigan we provide telemedicine service to established patients, using encrypted video."

This content was provided by Dr. Messina "We believe that a team approach, using physicians, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, registered nurses, medical assistants and good support staff are the best way to deliver compassionate and competent care.

In addition, the philosophy of our practice is to look not only at the headache or neurological problems but also to look at the associated issues relating to anxiety, depression, sleep disorders and other problems which might interfere with a successful treatment plan.

Neurological disorders are commonly worsened by other problems and we try to combine incorporate our treatment plan with other approaches in order to minimize the total number of medicines the patient is taking.

Medication is not the only way we treat headache and other neurological disorders; we commonly refer patients for counseling, physical therapy and other services. We spent a lot of time teaching patients about lifestyle management, sleep hygiene, stress management and specific exercises."

• Neurology

• Familial Multiple Sclerosis
  • Genetic Disposition to Idiopathic Generalized Epilepsy
  • Hand Neuropathy
  • Headache-Free Migraine
  • Headaches (Shunt Related)
  • Hypertension Headache
  • Migrainous Stupor Migraine
  • Migrainous Vertigo
  • Mild Headache
  • Motor Neuropathy
  • Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
  • Muscle Contraction Headache
  • Myoclonus
  • Myopathic Gait
  • Narcolepsy
  • Narcolepsy and Cataplexy
  • Neck Pain
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Neuropathy, Motor and Sensory
  • Vascular Headache
  • Vascular Neuropathy
  • Vertigo
  • Visual Migraine

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Michigan.

• University Of Illinois College Of Medicine Chicago
    Medical School | Graduated 1977
  • Michael Reese Hospital and Medical Center
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1978
  • Barnes Hosp-Wash U Med
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1981

• French

Dr. Messina does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Messina and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Messina's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Messina to family and friends

Dr. Messina's Performance

Dr. Messina Says:
"

Patient satisfaction surveys are helpful when they reflect good healthcare experiences, and can be damaging when they are bitter. Certain patients may be disappointed by physicians who refuse to prescribe large amounts of painkillers and sometimes this translates into low satisfaction from the patient's perspective... this may lead to destructive comments. Patient satisfaction surveys are only useful when they are truthful.

"

Dr. Messina and the nurse (Jane) took a lot of time to review my background during my appt. today. It was not rushed and they listened to everything I had to say. Both employees are very competent and use their knowledge to the patient's advantage. Dr. Messina developed a plan that I hope...more
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option0thumbs down icon option0
I have had migraines for over 40 years. I've been to many doctors and had many different treatments. Last August Dr. Messina started managing my care. Each month the number of headaches as decreased as we worked to find the best treatment for me. It is now March and I am so very happy to report as...more
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option0thumbs down icon option0
Always very friendly, detail oriented and takes the time to explain lab/test results. I highly recommend Dr. Messina!
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option0thumbs down icon option0
Dr. Messina is extremely intelligent and amazing at putting together the whole picture. He will work with you for the best solution to your problem and tweek it until it's "perfect". He's well-read and up to date on the most recent medical treatments available. He's unlike any other doctor that...more
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option1thumbs down icon option0
He is a smart man, just don’t expect him to take your opinion and go with it. He is sort of condescending and made me feel like I have a mountain of symptoms. I have a complex chronic illness (Vestibular Disorder) and he seems to think my symptoms are unrelated when I’ve heard from several others...more
Are you Dr. Messina?