Dr. Edmund Messina, MD

Dr. Edmund Messina, MD

Neurology | Male

Michigan Headache and Neurology Clinic 1675 Watertower Pl Ste 600 East Lansing, MI 48823 Get Directions

We believe that a team approach, using physicians, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, registered nurses, medical assistants and good support staff are the best way to deliver compassionate and competent care.

In addition, the philosophy of our practice is to look not only at the headache or neurological problems but also to look at the associated issues relating to anxiety, depression, sleep disorders and other problems which might interfere with a successful treatment plan.

Neurological disorders are commonly worsened by other problems and we try to combine incorporate our treatment plan with other approaches in order to minimize the total number of medicines the patient is taking.

Medication is not the only way we treat headache and other neurological disorders; we commonly refer patients for counseling, physical therapy and other services. We spent a lot of time teaching patients about lifestyle management, sleep hygiene, stress management and specific exercises.

"I was born and raised in metropolitan New York, earned a bachelors degree in Biology and then lived in France for a number of years where I taught and directed small independent films. Upon return to the US, I worked on a PhD in molecular biology and then attended medical school at the University of Illinois in Chicago, did my residency in Neurology at Washington University at Barnes Hospital where I served as Chief Resident for 2 years.I recently wrote the book, The Spattered White Coat about my experiences as a medical student and intern in Chicago. Upon completion of my training, my wife Jayne (an RN) and I started our practice in Muskegon and later moved our clinic to Ann Arbor where I worked out of St. Joseph Mercy Hospital, eventually moving to the Lansing area in the late 80's where we have remained since then. We have no intentions or plans to retire for a long time to come. Over the years, we have done many interesting things, including starting the Sleep Center in Muskegon, the Greater Muskegon Epilepsy Society, the dementia screening program and other programs before moving to the mid-state area. We developed one of the first electronic medical records in the 1980s, which we continue to expand and we have patented a computer language used in expert systems, which we currently used for patient history taking. We produced the award winning Life and Migraine documentary for PBS, appeared in an episode of Mystery Diagnosis (Discovery Health) and produced and directed the award winning feature drama, Lily's Mom, dealing with abuse and self-advocacy of the individual. Jayne and I founded Arbor Medicus, a global medical community for physician education and for patients to help themselves, a work in progress. Jayne and I enjoy working with our patients, especially our long-term chronic patients who are like old friends. Our office staff has been with us for many years and we were fortunate to add a new Physician Assistant to our staff in August 2016. We provide a style of care which is very personalized, quite unlike the corporate models of care which are arising everywhere. I believe that the gratification we get from interpersonal relationships is much more important than business growth, so we remain small and very efficient. Nevertheless, we serve patients throughout Michigan, neighboring states and Canada. Within Michigan we provide telemedicine service to established patients, using encrypted video."

Dr. Messina's Experience

See how Dr. Messina's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Messina

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Messina has admitting privileges.

Dr. Messina's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Messina to family and friends
4.5
Dr. Messina Says:

Patient satisfaction surveys are helpful when they reflect good healthcare experiences, and can be damaging when they are bitter. Certain patients may be disappointed by physicians who refuse to prescribe large amounts of painkillers and sometimes this translates into low satisfaction from the patient's perspective... this may lead to destructive comments. Patient satisfaction surveys are only useful when they are truthful.

Dr. Messina's Performance
Lansing, MI |
Love Dr. Messina and staff!!!
in Eaton Rapids Mi |
Dr. Messina and his entire staff have treated me with such great care and compassion. I would be lost without them. My headaches are improving at every visit, and he is always happy to explain everything to me about my treatment without hesitation. I would recommend him to everyone. THE BEST
in Potterville, MI |
When I first saw Dr Messina, I had been a long time migraine sufferer, along with other uncontrolled health issues. Dr. Messina looks at the TOTAL picture. Not just the area that "hurts." He begins a mission, to find and conquer the problem. Seeing other doctors? He expects them to join forces with him, as open communication is a must. He is a powerful force, intelligent, respected and straightforward. Don't be surprised at what medical surprises he uncovers, or how much life you recover.
East Lansing, MI |
I have been a patient of Dr. Messina at the Michigan Headache Clinic for a little over a year and in that short time, I have seen significant improvements in my condition. Dr. Messina is a world-class specialist who is always up-to-date on the latest research – an indicator that he puts his patients first. I am continually impressed with his attention to detail and holistic approach to treating chronic headaches. Taking the time to really assess and diagnose patients is a hallmark his practice.
in Vermontville, MI |
I've been seeing Dr. Messina for over six years. There's a reason he is one of the country's top rated physicians in his field. Seriously, he saves lives by being thorough and meticulous. He doesn't just treat symptoms- he looks for the cause of your problems. I was diagnosed with a newly developed (and rare) condition in less than two months thanks to his knowledge and experience. Most people with this condition wait an average of 4-5 YEARS to get diagnosed. You won't find a better doctor.
Lansing, MI |
Dr. Messina always takes the time to thoroughly go through your progress, medications, and symptoms. I never feel rushed and have never had a doctor spend as much time discussing my medical issues. He has a great bedside manor, it is clear that he keeps up on the latest research.
Have you seen Dr. Edmund Messina, MD?
Are you Dr. Messina?

Compare Dr. Messina

Dr. Messina says...

Over the years, we have done many interesting things, including starting the Sleep Center in Muskegon, the Greater Muskegon Epilepsy Society, the dementia screening program and other programs before moving to the mid-state area. We developed one of the first electronic medical records in the 1980s, which we continue to expand and we have patented a computer language used in expert systems, which we currently used for patient history taking.  We produced the award winning Life and Migraine documentary for PBS, appeared in an episode of Mystery Diagnosis (Discovery Health) and produced and directed the award winning feature drama, Lily's Mom, dealing with abuse and self-advocacy of the individual. Jayne and I founded Arbor Medicus, a global medical community for physician education and for patients to help themselves, a work in progress.

Dr. Messina's Care Philosophy

Dr. Messina says...

Dr. Messina has treated headache and other painful neurological disorders since 1981, in addition to a wide range of general neurological disorders including epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, neuropathy, stroke and other difficult to diagnose neurological problems. He is a strong advocate of looking at the WHOLE patient to make an accurate diagnosis.

He is an active member of the American Academy of Neurology and is certified in Neurology as well as Headache Medicine.

He is the author of numerous publications relating to neurology, including numerous physician training programs.

He is a strong patient advocate, frequently giving talks for patient education. He made the award-winning Public Television documentary "Life and Migraine" (2006), appeared on the TV show, Mystery Diagnosis, "The Headache Which Would Not Go Away") and he wrote, produced and directed the award-winning dramatic film "Lily's Mom" which was also nominated for the Hollywood Voice Award in 2012, dealing with abuse.

Dr. Messina says...

We provide Botox injections for patients with Chronic Migraine who have not responded to other treatments and who meet our strict criteria.

Dr. Messina says...

Dr. Messina's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Neurology
  •  Board certified in Neurology
  •  Malpractice claims in Michigan not available

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Michigan.

Why It Matters: Dr. Messina's Board Certifications

• Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension
  • Insomnia
  • Menstrual Migraine
  • Migraine, Hormone-Induced
  • Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
  • Narcolepsy and Cataplexy

Completed in 1978

Barnes Hosp-Wash U Med

Completed in 1981

• French

Dr. Messina does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Messina and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Neurology