Dr. E Irby Jr, MD

Orthopedic Spine Surgery •  Male • Age 64

Dr. Irby Jr

Henrico Doctors'

7650 E Parham Rd Richmond, VA 23294

Dr. E Irby Jr, MD is an orthopedic spine surgery specialist in Richmond, VA and has been practicing for 33 years. He graduated from Virginia Commonwealth University / Medical College of Virginia School of Medicine in 1981 and specializes in orthopedic spine surgery.

• Hospital satisfaction Patients said they were highly satisfied at this doctor's hospital. See hospitals
  • Practices at top hospital America's 250 Best Hospitals Award™ See hospitals

Blue Choice Advantage
Blue Preferred PPO
CareFirst Maryland POS
Commercial Insurance Company
Southern Health Services (Coventry Health Care)
Southern Health Services (Coventry Health Care) HMO
Medicaid

No malpractice claims found for Virginia

Check if Dr. Irby Jr treats your condition or procedure

Dr. Irby Jr's conditions and procedures:

• Baker’s Cyst
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Hip Pointer Injuries
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Limb Cramp

4.4

Dr. Irby Jr?
Dr. Irby Jr's Performance
What People Say About Dr. E Irby Jr, MD
Hurt at work in 1989. In 1990 I went to Henric and lucked out.. I got Dr Irby. He was amazing back in January and Feburary 1990 . ( two back surgeries. ) My back is still great! We are both 30 years older now, but still because of your work. I am GOOD!!!!!! THANK YOU DR IRBY! Rita B. I was the carpenter.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. E Irby Jr, MD?
Dr Irby rushed me through my first appointment and I felt he didn’t truly listen to my ailments. He talked over me and talked more to the nurse than he did to me. I had follow up appointments with his assistant and she was condescending when I tried to tell her about the pain I was describing. She looked at me like a drug addict trying to get pain pills when all I wanted was some kind of diagnosis.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. E Irby Jr, MD?
Dr. Irby and his staff were nice to me from the beginning. I had terrible back pain with sciatica down my right leg, I was walking bent over at 44 yrs old. Over the course of 2 years I had about 3 back injections which did work and I felt like new money...but I couldn’t get anymore injections. One day I woke up and couldn’t walk...the pain I had, I wouldn’t wish on anyone. I called Dr. Irby to schedule the Spinal Fusion surgery L4, L5 I was soo scared...he explained everything to me. Instead of being in surgery for 6 hours it was 8 hours there were issues the MRI didn’t show...I was so thankful to have Dr. Irby as my Ortho Surgeon. When I got out of surgery I felt immediate relief...the sad part is the recovery from my Spinal Fusion wasn’t bad at all compared to the pain I was going thru. I stayed in the hospital 2 days, each day Dr. Irby visited me. I wish him the best in Retirement, he’s not only a GREAT Doctor but a wonderful person. Thank you for everything Dr. Irby! Sheila L
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. E Irby Jr, MD?
Very interested in patient, listened carefully before beginning to form Dx, never made patient feel ignorant or just acting. Very thorough in dx and in prescribing treatment. Explained purpose of every suggestion and invited response if situation did not improve.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. E Irby Jr, MD?
Dr. Irby is very caring and professional. I have had a very positive experience with Dr. Irby.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. E Irby Jr, MD?
It took several months before I got a referral to Dr. Irby for my ruptured disc, but things went smoothly once I got to him. He listened when I asked to change medications and to skip past another treatment before surgery and was there through all steps of recovery.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. E Irby Jr, MD?
Went to Irby for my lower spine sciatica. Told me it would be gone in six weeks. Told him I had had it for seven months, and it had not gone away. He got mad and told me I could go to another Doc to get another opinion. I did, and as 2nd Doc was reading Irby's notes, he started Laughing, loudly. saying, "Irby thinks you are making this spine problem, up". Left in tears, completely humiliated. NEVER went back, and 3-1/2 years later, still suffering in crippling Pain. Very vindictive of Irby.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. E Irby Jr, MD?
Went for back and leg pain
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. E Irby Jr, MD?
Me and my family will not be returned to see Dr Irby. He was very rude and lacks bed side manner. My dad has a ruptured disc in his back and is in excruciating pain. Dr Irby thought that living in pain for 9 more days would be a humane approach and offered no relief. I am in the medical field and have and will never treat a patient with such lack of care!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. E Irby Jr, MD?
Confidence in an orthopedic's knowledge willingness to listen are crucial. The ACA has negatively impacted care, violates the sacrosanct doctor patient relationship; and, has resulted in hurried appointments. Thankfully, this does not happen at Ortho Virginia. I have utter confidence in them and have been treated by these highly qualified physicians since 2010. First time seeing Dr. Irby who I found to be top notch, and will refer colleagues, family and friends.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. E Irby Jr, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Irby Jr?

I believe in treating every patient as I would want to be treated. Often surgery is not needed. I try conservative treatment first, surgery should be the last option. For those requiring surgery, these surgeries are often done under epidural anesthesia as an outpatient.

• Orthopedic Spine Surgery

Washington and Lee University

• Richmond Magazine Top Docs commendation, 2004

Henrico Doctors'
7650 E Parham Rd Richmond, VA 23294

Check the quality of care at hospitals where Dr. Irby Jr treats patients.

73% Patient experience rating, 4% higher than the national average

• America's 250 Best Hospitals Award™ (2019, 2018)
  • America's 50 Best Hospitals Award™ (2019, 2018)
  • Patient Safety Excellence Award™ (2017)

73% Patient experience rating, 4% higher than the national average

• America's 250 Best Hospitals Award™ (2020, 2019, 2018)
  • Patient Safety Excellence Award™ (2019, 2018, 2017)
  • America's 250 Best Hospitals Award™ (2020, 2019, 2018)
  • Patient Safety Excellence Award™ (2019, 2018, 2017)