Orthopedic Spine Surgery  |
Dr. E Irby Jr, MD
Dr. E Irby Jr, MD is an orthopedic spine surgery doctor who practices in Richmond, VA. He is 62 years old and has been practicing for 36 years. Dr. Irby Jr is affiliated with Parham Doctors' Hospital.

7650 E Parham Rd Ste 100

Richmond, VA 23294

Dr. E Irby Jr, MD

• Southern Health Services (Coventry Health Care)

Learn about Dr. Irby Jr

See how frequently Dr. Irby Jr performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Lumbar Spine Fracture
Spine Fractures, Traumatic
Sciatica (Not Due to Disc Displacement)

Dr. Irby Jr's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Irby Jr "I believe in treating every patient as I would want to be treated. Often surgery is not needed. I try conservative treatment first, surgery should be the last option. For those requiring surgery, these surgeries are often done under epidural anesthesia as an outpatient."

• Orthopedic Spine Surgery

• Sacrum Disorders
  • Spinal Instability
  • Vertebral Fracture

• Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Laminectomy
  • Spinal Fusion
  • Spinal Internal Fixation
  • Spinal Reconstruction
  • Spine Surgery

No malpractice history found for Virginia.

• Washington And Lee University
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1977
  • Virginia Commonwealth University / Medical College of Virginia School of Medicine
    Medical School | Graduated 1981
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1987
  • St Luke hospital
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1987

• Richmond Magazine Top Docs commendation, 2004

Dr. Irby Jr has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Irby Jr does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Irby Jr and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Irby Jr's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Irby Jr to family and friends
4.4
Dr. Irby Jr's Performance
in Henrico |
Dr. Irby saw me quickly after I ruptured a disk, L4-L5. He took time to examine me and discussed the needed treatment plan. Dr. Irby performed Laminectomy surgery at OrthoVirginia out patient surgery on Shrader Road. The staff at this facility took great care with me. The surgery was a success and I am in recovery. Follow up care was great with Lindsey Townsend PA, and Dr. Irby. Jane Cash PT with MVP Physical Therapy helped with my therapy sessions. I highly recommend Dr. Irby for Spine tx.
Denver, CO |
Patients will notice that Dr. Irby is very busy as he breezes in and out of the examination rooms spending only as much time as needed to test function and answer any immediate questions they may have. He is very personable.
Thank you for the kind words about Dr. Irby! Best, Sarah
in Richmond, VA |
I was injured at work and was referred to Dr. Irby. I had heard of Doctors really not concerned about Workers Compensation cases since their primary concerned was to get the employee "back to work" as soon as possible since they were paid by the employers workers compensation insurance company. I was totally impressed with Dr. Irby!!! He cared only about me!!! Also, I was seen by Dr. Irby's PA, Lindsey. She was extremely knowledgeable and compassionate. !! He and his PA are the BEST!!!!
Henry - These kind words are truly appreciated! Thank you for sharing! Best, Sarah
in Richmond, Va |
Truly cared about me. Told me all of my options. Helped me as we came up with my treatment plan. Most caring doctor I have seen .
These kind words are truly appreciated! Thank you for sharing your experience, Charlie!
Heathsville |
I was not at all impressed with Dr. Irby. He came into the exam room and went straight for the computer, never even introduced himself. After having computer problems, he then examined me while all the while listening to a brief medical history that I relayed. He never asked me one question and quickly dismissed my pain and told me to see a rheumatologist despite the fact I had already seen one and my GP had referred me to him. I left in tears.
in Chesterfield, VA |
Dr. Irby, his staff and Parham Doctor's Hospital and staff were all EXCELLENT! Dr.Irby performed surgery on my back on 11/28/2015 with great results. Pain relieved immediately and recovery was amazingly easy. I would recommend him to anyone with a back problem. Overall, this was the best medical treatment that I have received in 44 years in Richmond!
in Richmond Va |
I was very disappointed in the service I got with him. He came in my room and talk to my spouse more than he talked to me he touched me one time I screamed in pain . He said it was just muscle you'll be fine. My next visit I saw his assistant who insisted that they did not give me any medications the time before which they did and then insisted other things and she didn't know nothing about. One month later I'm still in pain. I have asked to see a new doctor. I would not recommend him.
Richmond, VA |
No rush to surgery. We tried alternatives, but when it was clear I wasn't getting better, I was in surgery the next day. Doing very well post op.
Glen Allen, VA |
Horrible!
in Chesterfield County, VA |
Dr. Irby does not rush into surgery Dr. Irby makes every effort to provide the best treatment for his patients. My spinal fusion was a major surgery; the results have been better than expected! I would recommend Dr. Irby!
Richmond, VA |
I just had an initial appointment with Dr. Irby and he made me feel very comfortable. He took the time to explain my MRI results, listened to my questions honestly, and I left with a feeling that he cared and was going to take my recovery seriously. This was the first time I had spoken to a doctor since my injury that I left feeling this way.
in Hanover, VA |
A bit of a disappointment. My appointment with Dr. Irby was at 8:30am on March 15, confirmed by the office's telephone msg the day before. Arrived at 8am and was told that Dr. Irby was not in until 9:30-10:00am. I waited. At about 9:30 Dr. Irby's PA took me to an examining room, interviewed me and ordered x-rays, then returned to discuss her conclusions with no further explanation for Dr. Irby's absence. When I make an appointment to see a doctor, I expect to see a doctor. Sorry.
in Chester, VA |
Dr. Irby is not going to perform surgery on you unless there is no other option. If he does have to perform surgery he is very honest about the recovery time.
in Midlothian, VA |
Dr. Irby is extremely professional in placing his patients interest above his own. He guided me to use a full range of less invasive (and less costly) alternatives and dignified me by letting me make my own fully informed decisions. He also demonstrated exemplary compassion, sacrificing planned holiday time off when he determined that my condition would improve and my suffering duration be shortened by opening up an extra day to do my procedure late afternoon on New Years Eve. I trust him!
Dr. Irby did my back surgery and I highly recommend him. He listens and cares to returning to being pain free.
in Richmond, VA |
Dr Irby is skilled at his craft, but his patient load is too high. Examples: - 1 week wait time to get a follow-up appointment - No callbacks on prescriptions that have run out - Possible technical difficulties or overwhelmed on callbacks on imaging results - Likely not enough time spent per patient research, as a 2nd and 3rd opinion were vastly different than Dr Irby's based on imaging results summary from radiologist.
Have you seen Dr. E Irby Jr, MD?

Visit Dr. Irby Jr

Dr. Irby Jr accepts 9 insurance carriers
  • Southern Health Services (Coventry Health Care)
    Southern Health Services (Coventry Health Care) HMO